Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher, 34, Abducted While Jogging, Memphis, 2022 *arrest* #5

<snipped>

Henderson, 38, was not handcuffed for his Thursday morning court appearance before Judge Louis J. Montesi. Wearing similar attire to his previous appearances, he remained silent and slouched during the hearing, at times even leaning against the railing that separated him from the rest of the courtroom.

Henderson’s attorney, Jennifer Case, had asked Montesi to review her involvement in the case amid a conflict-of-interest concern.

The conflict, she said, was that her office had represented Henderson in a criminal matter in the early 2000s. But Montesi ultimately ruled that Case could proceed as Henderson’s attorney.

Memphis jogger suspect Cleotha Henderson's lawyer seeks gag order as Eliza Fletcher's family releases obituary

<snipped>

Case, a public defender, also requested a gag order in the case, noting in making her argument that Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis had called her client a "dangerous predator." Prosecutors, however, argued the public should continue to be informed about this case.

A woman who said she turned out in solidarity with the Fletcher family because her own daughter had been murdered in Memphis.

A woman who said she turned out in solidarity with the Fletcher family because her own daughter had been murdered in Memphis.

“It is premature for us to discuss right now what punishment we’re going to seek,” Shelby County District Attorney Steve Mulroy said Wednesday. In Tennessee, a first-degree murder conviction carries a sentence of life in prison — with or without parole — or the death penalty.

The obituary stated: 'She loved her family fiercely and unconditionally. Together as a family, they enjoyed outdoor adventures including boating, water sports, hiking, running, and biking. She was deeply admired by her family and friends for her passionate dedication to motherhood.'

“It’s really important that people know that this isn’t just about Liza. There are 250,000 or more women who are abducted or go missing every year, and every woman knows that there’s a sense of vulnerability out there for women. At the same time, we want to share the importance of freedom, that we have the freedom to get out and run and walk and take our children to school. We need to be able to do it freely and without being afraid.”

“We were outside during the day. We were out there at night,” Natter said. “We saw shady people. You were yelled at or someone scared you. That should never have happened. That should never have happened.”
<modsnip - not an approved source>

Last edited by a moderator:

Had not seen this...some other low-life knew what he'd done! Who was it, I wonder?

BTW, haven't commented on these threads 'cause this case has gutted me :'( Praying daily for Eliza's family, li'l boys, and preschool babies.

He won't. Men like that just don't.
I wish that were the case but sociopaths gain personal pleasure from violating others. No conscience, no remorse, no empathy. After working for the Dept of Corrections for many years, I've seen these anti social personality traits emerge in children as young as 8. Typically fueled by substance abuse. Just my opinion, not able to be rehabilitated. That is why recidivism in this over 60% for violent repeat offenders. Death penalty is too good for this piece of garbage.

I had a hard time being able to hear this morning, even with ear phones but what I understood is the PD’s office represented him in the 2001 kidnapping to which he eventually plead guilty. In 2009, CA-H filed a motion to dismiss his case based on the PD’s inadequate counsel. CA-H actually wrote the motion himself and it was denied/dismissed by the judge within a week. The PD’s office wanted to make sure the judge understood CA-H’s prior accusation of inadequate counsel of them so he could not raise it again, stating a conflict of interest.
thank you! This makes more sense. accused was unhappy with the previous representation by PD.

Had not seen this...some other low-life knew what he'd done! Who was it, I wonder?

BTW, haven't commented on these threads 'cause this case has gutted me :'( Praying daily for Eliza's family, li'l boys, and preschool babies.
Well well well…

Tuesday at a press conference, MPD police chief C.J. Davis couldn’t say if Henderson worked alone.

“It’s still early on,” Davis said. “We’re still uncovering various leads. This is an ongoing investigation and it’s a possibility, but at this time, no one else has been charged.”

Watson says watching the surveillance video leaves her feeling worried.

“What if they would do it (the crime) to someone out here?” she said. “It’s sad that they would bring that lady way over here and do something like that.”

Police say this is an ongoing investigation and have not confirmed another suspect at this time.

We do know that Henderson’s brother, Mario Abston, has been arrested on unrelated drug charges.

Last edited:
Can someone remind me what determines that an assault is aggravated? Is it the use of a weapon?
<snipped for focus>

In general, the element of serious harm?

Henderson’s attorney, Jennifer Case, had asked Montesi to review her involvement in the case amid a conflict-of-interest concern.

The conflict, she said, was that her office had represented Henderson in a criminal matter in the early 2000s. But Montesi ultimately ruled that Case could proceed as Henderson’s attorney.

Case, a public defender, also requested a gag order in the case, noting in making her argument that Memphis Police Chief C.J. Davis had called her client a "dangerous predator." Prosecutors, however, argued the public should continue to be informed about this case.

Montesi asked Case to submit a proposed order for the judge to take under review. Henderson was initially identified as "Cleotha Abston," but the jurist later ordered that his name be changed in all documents to Cleotha "Henderson," per the accused murderer’s request.
Memphis jogger suspect Cleotha Henderson's lawyer seeks gag order as Eliza Fletcher's family releases obituary

1) I don't follow attorney Case's concern about a conflict of interest. Why would her having represented him in a previous criminal matter preclude or create an issue with her doing so in this one? I think she just wants off the case.
2) this name change thing has me completely stymied. I just don't get it. I've not commented on it til now but I've followed the various posts from other members and frankly I am just as confused as I was. Was he the one who changed his legal name? If so, when?
I don’t think she even represented him. The public defender office did. I doubt she was even an attorney that long ago. She looks too young.

I would think the family wanted to move quickly given that she was out in the open air for ~4 days in the heat. Many traditional rituals of grieving might be off the table given the days it took to find her and the manner in which she was killed. It is not as if the family can have any kind of natural grieving process given the violence that caused her passing. My guess is that all involved are thinking of what is best for the family---the parents/siblings, the spouse and the kids.

You reference the manner in which she was killed in her post. I have heard nothing concerning this on the news. Would you please share what you know?

Watson says watching the surveillance video leaves her feeling worried.

“What if they would do it (the crime) to someone out here?” she said. “It’s sad that they would bring that lady way over here and do something like that.”

Police say this is an ongoing investigation and have not confirmed another suspect at this time.

We do know that Henderson’s brother, Mario Abston, has been arrested on unrelated drug charges.
It's been going through my head that CA-H's casual approach may indicate a lot of experience. If so, I suspect the victims have been people whose family aren't in contact, who have no schedule, or perhaps, the family is in touch, but the loved ones fear for their own lives if they contact the police. I would think that if you know they're drug dealers (and their neighbors probably do) you'd know you're in danger if you say anything. CA-H making a mistake and choosing someone with close family may have saved lives in the long run just by getting him out of circulation.

<snipped>

Henderson, 38, was not handcuffed for his Thursday morning court appearance before Judge Louis J. Montesi. Wearing similar attire to his previous appearances, he remained silent and slouched during the hearing, at times even leaning against the railing that separated him from the rest of the courtroom.

It was a ploy to get the state to spring some $ for real lawyers.

It was a ploy to get the state to spring some $ for real lawyers.
I beg your pardon, but public defenders are real lawyers, and in many cases, they are really, really good real lawyers. The main problem with a public defender is a lack of time and resources, but in a death penalty case, they are usually given the time they need to adequately defend a client.

I seldom find myself here on WS; I was pulled in initially to the case with Mollie Tibbets and now again — for like most here, I held to hope so strongly of a better outcome. For someone I did not know, yet could tell was an extraordinarily kind soul, a loving mother and teacher and wife — through the clips and photos that came through with the story, that verity was clearly recognized.

As reported, there have been runs hosted across many cities today to honor Eliza, and it is a powerful and benevolent sight after the preceding bleakness.

I would like to propose one step further. If you are able and in condition and willing: consider training for your first 5k or half marathon this year in Eliza’s honor. It could impact your life more beneficially than you yet realize, and what better way to, with significant resonance, respectfully and meaningfully honor another. To let their life and joy impact your own, for the better.

It should go without saying, you could train in any way you are comfortable with and appraise as safe.

Just an idea to consider. It may be many months to get there in my own case, but I give my word to return to the thread once I have completed a race, with a photo of the race tag.

Until then, peace and be well. May your own light conquer the darkness to the best of your ability.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back