Found Deceased TN - Eliza "Liza" Fletcher Abducted While Jogging - Memphis #4 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Community members finish Eliza Fletcher’s run down Central Avenue – FOX13 News Memphis

<modsnip - not an approved source>

*eta:

James DeMarco, owner of RunAbout Sports in Blacksburg, and Robin Lewis with Fleet Feet weighed in on the tragedy.

“That poor lady was just doing something that she should have enjoyed,” DeMarco said. “It’s something that gave her piece of mind and helped her get on with her day,”

“This really hits home with us,” Lewis said. “We personally know two women who have been attacked while running, and they were in broad daylight. Fortunately, they survived, but you never know what could happen.”

“The big thing is you want to let your loved ones know where you’re at,” DeMarco said. “Where are you going, where are you running at, and when to expect you back, and then follow through with that over the course of time.”

“There are apps that you really just push one button to let your loved ones, let EMS and police know that, ‘Hey I’m hurt’ or ‘Hey I’ve been attacked or something’s not right,’” DeMarco said.

“There are going to be a lot of women running in the dark,” Lewis said. “It’s really important to always make sure you have light, and 360-degree reflectivity.”

“You should always have eye contact. Because if they see you looking at them, they know that you can identify them,” Lewis said.

Community members finish Eliza Fletcher’s run down Central Avenue – FOX13 News Memphis

*eta:

James DeMarco, owner of RunAbout Sports in Blacksburg, and Robin Lewis with Fleet Feet weighed in on the tragedy.

“That poor lady was just doing something that she should have enjoyed,” DeMarco said. “It’s something that gave her piece of mind and helped her get on with her day,”

“This really hits home with us,” Lewis said. “We personally know two women who have been attacked while running, and they were in broad daylight. Fortunately, they survived, but you never know what could happen.”

“The big thing is you want to let your loved ones know where you’re at,” DeMarco said. “Where are you going, where are you running at, and when to expect you back, and then follow through with that over the course of time.”

“There are apps that you really just push one button to let your loved ones, let EMS and police know that, ‘Hey I’m hurt’ or ‘Hey I’ve been attacked or something’s not right,’” DeMarco said.

“There are going to be a lot of women running in the dark,” Lewis said. “It’s really important to always make sure you have light, and 360-degree reflectivity.”

“You should always have eye contact. Because if they see you looking at them, they know that you can identify them,” Lewis said.

“It’s scary,” said Kylie Nissen, a Thompson mom of a cross-country runner.

“Being a mom you always want your child to be safe and thinking that they are doing something as simple and healthy as going out for a run can end up turning into something that changes your life,” she said.

Nissen also says she often reminds her daughter to stay vigilant.
“When she is out running, we do tell her to stay to the side of the road and if somebody pulls up. Keep your distance. Don’t let them use your phone. Just know your environment,”

“We always tell her to carry her cell phone,” “I would like to get her some type of wrist device like a Fitbit so that she can push an emergency call button like those lifelines.”

“Let people know where you are going to be running, how long you plan to be gone. That can help others pinpoint your location.,” said Adam Rodahl, the operator at See Dick Run, a running store in Grand Forks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was said the the bicyclist found the shattered phone and returned it to Richie, Eliza's husband. My question is how did he know that it was her phone?
was there some DNA checking or other factors involved.
I've been following this case from the start but no one seems to mention (on YouTube) how did the cyclist know?
I’ve been thinking about this. I can’t find mention of the type/OS phone she had. If she had an iPhone, husband could have triggered the “find my iPhone” alert and/or lost mode (able to put a message too with a phone number to call if found). If they had “family sharing”, very easy to do. Or even with just her password and browser.

I'm sorry if this is dumb but what/who is a DP attorney?
DP attorney is an attorney qualified to argue a case where the death penalty is an option. Don't ever apologize for asking a serious question in here. We all were new once, and sometimes when we talk, we forget that not everyone may understand the terms that we may use. It was not a dumb question at all. It's always good to have new people on board who wish to actually be a part of discussions, rather than just lurk. Glad you joined us.

I’ve been thinking about this. I can’t find mention of the type/OS phone she had. If she had an iPhone, husband could have triggered the “find my iPhone” alert and/or lost mode (able to put a message too with a phone number to call if found). If they had “family sharing”, very easy to do. Or even with just her password and browser.
Replying to myself so I don’t edit - if he triggered the find alert, it’s a very very loud sound - the person that found it may have just been a passerby.

HE SERVED HIS ENTIRE SENTENCE OF 20 years. He was not released early, was not paroled etc. it is customary to serve 85% and he did. <modsnip> He was not let out, a 20 year sentence for a juvenile is extremely harsh sentencing. There is nothing <modnsnip> saying he should have been LWOP at that age. He was sentenced and served that sentence according to the law at the time.

How can they not be so SAD all the time? Coming home from a workday that involves sifting the bloody ground for infinitesimal pieces of someone who was a vibrant woman just days ago. Or for evidence from the demon who did this to her.
Yes, @Arkay. It makes you sad and depressed and angry and determined. You almost have to go into a zone. While you are at the scene you have put aside your emotions. You become quickly focused on the task. You have to compartmentalize. You can’t think about the person you are seeing; not until later. In the moment, you observe. You take notes, photographs, and you look for the obvious; position of the body, signs of trauma, evidence, weapons. Despite your best efforts, you can become overwhelmed by the sights, by the smells.
I have seen, on quite a few occasions, LE criticized after photos in the press show officers laughing or joking at a crime scene. How could they? This happens because someone has whispered a bad joke under their breath to break the tension, or because they saw one of their fellow officers begin to loose it. It is to put out of your mind, for just a few more minutes, what you are dealing with. The depravity. The horror that one individual can inflict upon another.

With just what we already know, alone, I cannot imagine many high-powered defense team would want to be anywhere near the courthouse when this finally goes to trial. I know, and agree, that every defendant in a criminal case is entitled to, and should be provided, a vigorous defense, but I doubt too many top-notch attorneys are going to be lining up to offer to be the one to provide it for him in this case. JMO
Agree 100%.
No one is going to want to touch this one.

One thing investigators have in their favor is just how stupid he was. They identified the slides that he left behind because he was seen wearing them in the surveillance video of his theft of the wallet the night before. o_O

<modsnip: Attachment removed due to no link>

HE SERVED HIS ENTIRE SENTENCE OF 20 years. He was not released early, was not paroled etc. it is customary to serve 85% and he did. <modsnip> He was not let out, a 20 year sentence for a juvenile is extremely harsh sentencing. There is nothing <modnsnip> saying he should have been LWOP at that age. He was sentenced and served that sentence according to the law at the time.
No I really don't think that's correct.
"Shelby County, Tennessee, court records reviewed by Heavy show that Abston was charged with “especially aggravated kidnapping” in 2000. He entered a guilty plea, court records show. He received 24 years in prison, starting in November 2001.

According to Fox13 Investigates, Cleotha Abston was eligible for release after 85% of his 24-year prison sentence and got out “sometime in the past two years.”

He also was charged with aggravated robbery. His sentence for that count was 11 years, but it appears to have run concurrently, stemming from the same offense."

Source:

Maybe he doesn’t want a woman as his attorney. He clearly has no respect for women.

Since Liza comes from a well connected family in Memphis, with, most likely, a social circle of the Memphis elite, I’m not sure any big names lawyers/firms would be quick to offer their services period, let alone pro bono.

Can’t imagine he’ll get anything other than a Public Defender.

At this stage in the proceedings I’m guessing that the Death Penalty is going to be on the table. The evidence that we know of is overwhelming so I can imagine what we don’t know is just going to be icing on the cake, with lots of icing.

Best this dude is going to get is a PD with DP experience that is just going to make sure everything follows the law and proper procedure is the order of the day.

If he pleads not guilty, which I think he will, they will need a change of venue as it’s going to be very hard to seat an impartial jury in Memphis. Could be hard to seat an impartial Jury anywhere. Might ask for a Judge only trial.

If he pleads guilty, saves the family from years of trials and hearings. The trauma of a drawn out trial, appeals, hearings will be so hard on the family. Maybe take DP off the table but it will be LWOP …buh by!!! FOREVER!

MOO

BREAKING: Eliza Fletchers 'killer' could face the DEATH PENALTY as he's charged with first-degree murder of billionaire heiress and is refused bail​

BREAKING: Eliza Fletchers 'killer' could face the DEATH PENALTY as he's charged with first-degree murder of billionaire heiress and is refused bail​

According to this article, the earlier rape charge was while he was a teenager and against a MAN.

If true, (since this is The Daily <Mail>), this guy is ALL over place. No impulse control, men, women, he’s not picky. Whatever is available in the moment that he wants he’ll take. He will take ANYTHING!

He is a loathesome, evil, vile excuse of a human. IMO he is sub human.

MOO

Maybe he doesn’t want a woman as his attorney. He clearly has no respect for women.

Since Liza comes from a well connected family in Memphis, with, most likely, a social circle of the Memphis elite, I’m not sure any big names lawyers/firms would be quick to offer their services period, let alone pro bono.

Can’t imagine he’ll get anything other than a Public Defender.

At this stage in the proceedings I’m guessing that the Death Penalty is going to be on the table. The evidence that we know of is overwhelming so I can imagine what we don’t know is just going to be icing on the cake, with lots of icing.

Best this dude is going to get is a PD with DP experience that is just going to make sure everything follows the law and proper procedure is the order of the day.

If he pleads not guilty, which I think he will, they will need a change of venue as it’s going to be very hard to seat an impartial jury in Memphis. Could be hard to seat an impartial Jury anywhere. Might ask for a Judge only trial.

If he pleads guilty, saves the family from years of trials and hearings. The trauma of a drawn out trial, appeals, hearings will be so hard on the family. Maybe take DP off the table but it will be LWOP …buh by!!! FOREVER!

MOO
While this case is certainly fresh headlines right now, I would be shocked if there will be a need for a change of venue by the time this is ready for trial. Memphis has a population of close to 700,000, and it should not be terribly difficult to seat a jury, imo. I never cease to be amazed at how many people in a particular area are completely oblivious to what goes on in the news around them. And as to the likelihood of asking for a judge only trial, I highly doubt it. It would be far easier to convince at least one juror that this guy didn't murder Eliza than it would be to convince a judge. JMO

No I really don't think that's correct.
"Shelby County, Tennessee, court records reviewed by Heavy show that Abston was charged with “especially aggravated kidnapping” in 2000. He entered a guilty plea, court records show. He received 24 years in prison, starting in November 2001.

According to Fox13 Investigates, Cleotha Abston was eligible for release after 85% of his 24-year prison sentence and got out “sometime in the past two years.”

He also was charged with aggravated robbery. His sentence for that count was 11 years, but it appears to have run concurrently, stemming from the same offense."

Source:
85% of 24 is 20.4 so the math adds up that he would be released after 20 years.

Pure Speculation. There is a case TN state vs Henderson that CA's attorney tried and was involved in, and if they were any relation perhaps that is the reason why she stated conflict of interest, and perhaps why they put so much focus on CA last name being H and not A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus