Identified! TN - Greene Co., WhtFem 264UFTN, 14-20, recent loss of pregnancy, Apr'85 - Elizabeth Lamotte

I was looking at this case today, and ran a screen.

I found two MP's who aren't listed on the rule-outs list, and haven't been mentioned on this thread who seem to me to be worth a look.

Michelle Leone Duncan
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/duncan_michelle.html

duncan_michelle6.jpg
duncan_michelle5.jpg
____
264UFTN1.jpg

According to NamUs, she doesn't have a DNA profile. So this would not be a CODIS rule-out-by-default.

Her height is an inch above the upper limit of the UID's height estimate. But aside from that, her vital stats are in line.

She appears to have an overbite, similar to that of the uid. She even has similarly pointy canines.

She also has a similarly pointy chin (compared to the UID's side-view). However, her nose doesn't appear to be as long.

The timeline is right there. The distance is pretty far. But she was apparently kidnapped by some unnamed guy who she was afraid of. Could he have taken her cross-country?

April Grisanti
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/grisanti_april.html
grisanti_april.jpg
_____
264UFTN1.jpg

According to NamUs, April also doesn't have a DNA profile.

Her facial shape is spot on to the drawn facial reconstruction. The timeline is spot-on as well. Her height, age, and hair color are also consistent.

It is unclear whether she has an overbite. It doesn't appear so, but the photo is too fuzzy to be sure.

The distance is about 700 miles, but the route from Norwalk CT to Greene County TN is a straight-shot down I-81.

She was also the apparent victim of a physical assault prior to her disappearance, consistent with the UID showing evidence of having been beaten.

Carl-
I like your possibles on this. Michelle Duncan (if I remember correctly) has dentals on file that could be compared to this Jane Doe.
April (although again there is some distance) seems like an even more likely possibility (to me) since her boyfriend perhaps had a pattern of disposing of women in wooded areas. Maybe he thought that by removing April from the geographical area (NE) that he might make it more difficult to locate her body and connect him to this crime - as compared to his estranged wife back in '81.

Here's a new Charley case who seems like a decent possible for the Greene County Jane Doe.

Shari Lynn Ball
ball_shari.jpg
264UFTN1.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/ball_shari.html

GCJD is depicted in the recon with dark hair. However, the DoeNet description indicates "Light brown or dark blonde hair with reddish tints". This is consistent with SLB.

* Her age (21 at the estimated time of GCJD's death) is close enough.
* Her listed height is an inch below the low end of the range, but not too far off.
* She appears to have a slight overbite, just as is descibed of GCJD.
* She resembles the recon.
* The timeline is a little long, but the circumstances don't suggest a quick demise at the time of her disappearance.

Here's a new Charley case who seems like a decent possible for the Greene County Jane Doe.

Shari Lynn Ball
ball_shari.jpg
264UFTN1.jpg

GCJD is depicted in the recon with dark hair. However, the DoeNet description indicates "Light brown or dark blonde hair with reddish tints". This is consistent with SLB.

* Her listed height is an inch below the low end of the range, but not too far off.
* The timeline is a little long, but the circumstances don't suggest a quick demise at the time of her disappearance.

I see a resemblence....

ball_shari.jpg
264UFTN3.jpg
264UFTN5.jpg

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/264uftn.html

Not the clearest picture of Shari. Shari's nose appears to turn upward a little in this photo, but CarlK indicated in another thread a forensic artist would not be able to determine how the tip of a nose points.

While the timeline appears a little off also, the ears match up very well to me in these photos. TOD for the UID is estimated at 3-6 weeks, so I think the forensic artist would likely still get a good idea for the ears on the recon. CarlK' can you chime in on how accurate the ears might be with a short TOD?

This is definately worth looking into imo.

CarlK' can you chime in on how accurate the ears might be with a short TOD? [/quote]

It's impossible to know just based on timeframe how much decomp to expect. If there is significant animal and insect activity, the body could be reduced to bones within days.

The insects and climate alone would probably leave nose and ear cartilage behind over a period of a couple of weeks, but larger animals are the wild-card.

Bringing this back up

/The artists drawing creeps the bejesus out of me. I want to see this solved.

Here is the list of ruleouts:

Billie-Jo Fisher 1970
Janice Fullam 1964 New York
Joan Leigh Hall
Barbra J Hunt

Carl,

Did you ever turn in Shari Lynn Ball (I know you turned her in to compare her to the Davie FL Jane Doe)

I think you should :)

Ok - I called Lee Jantz, and gave her the names of Shari Lynne Ball and Michelle Leone Duncan.

I didn't submit April Grisanti, as I didn't want to overload her with names. My thinking is that if you give them more than 1 or 2 names, they are less likely to act promptly. I also didn't see any hint of overbite in her photo, so I thought her to be the least likely of the three.

Hopefully they will check into it...

It has now been 27 years since this unidentified girl was brutally murdered.

She could have come from Tennessee, Virginia, or North Carolina, as they are all close to the area where she was found.

-------------------------------------------

Unidentified White Female Found 14 April 1985 in rural Greene County, TN

Unidentified White Female
Found on April 14, 1985 in rural Greene County, Tennessee.
Cause of death is trauma to the head.
Estimated time of death is 3 to 6 weeks.
Decomposed Remains

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 15 - 20 years old.
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"-5'6" (165-168 cm); 130 - 140 lbs. (59-64 kg)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Light brown or dark blonde hair with reddish tints, shoulder length. Silvery pink nail polish.
Clothing: No clothing or jewelry was found with the victim.
Fingerprints: Available
Dentals: Available, She had a slight overbite.
DNA: Available - University North Texas
Other: She was approximately 6 weeks pregnant.

Case History

The victim was located beside southbound Jeraldstown exit to I-81 in rural Greene County in April 1985, by a 15 year old fishing near exit 44. The body was found approximately 58 feet off the southbound Exit 44 entrance ramp. She was badly beaten. There was no physical evidence at the scene.

At the time, there were several women found dead along the nation's busy highways. The crimes were dubbed the redheaded murders. They were thought to be the work of a truck driver. It is not confirmed if this girl was one of them.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

University of TN Forensic Anthropology Center
Lee Jantz
865-974-4408
Email: ljantz@utk.edu

Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
800-824-3463

Agency Case Number:ME UT85-8F

NCMEC Number: NCMCu400081

NCIC Number: U-151201885

Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case

Source Information

Texas Missing Persons Clearinghouse
National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
Joanna J. Hughes | Forensic Artist
NamUs
WBIR
Greeneville Sun 5/16/08
The Doe Network: Case File 264UFTN

LINK:

Since I haven't seen a reconstruction that looks exactly like a victim when it is them, I am giving my opinion that there could be a match here.
But the reconstruction is creepy looking. She couldn't have looked that bad alive.

Shari Lynn Ball
ball_shari2.jpg
264UFTN1.jpg

This one looks like a closer match IMO.

ball_shari2.jpg
264UFTN3.jpg
264UFTN5.jpg

Not the clearest picture of Shari. Shari's nose appears to turn upward a little in this photo, but CarlK indicated in another thread a forensic artist would not be able to determine how the tip of a nose points.

While the timeline appears a little off also, the ears match up very well to me in these photos. TOD for the UID is estimated at 3-6 weeks, so I think the forensic artist would likely still get a good idea for the ears on the recon. CarlK' can you chime in on how accurate the ears might be with a short TOD?

This is definately worth looking into imo.

The missing girl discussed in the previous posts is Sheri Lynne Ball, age 20, when she went missing in 1983. According to the case details, she was last heard from 28 or 29 June 1983, when she reportedly called her boyfriend from a truckstop in Ashland, VA. This is just a few miles north of Richmond, VA.

Sheri is said to have been 5 feet, 4 inches tall, weighing 100 pounds.

---------------------------

I wonder if the following Jane Doe case might be related to either the Greene County Jane Doe, or to Sheri Lynne Ball' s disappearance. Campbell County, Tennessee is only about 40 miles north west of Greene County.

TN - Campbell County - White Female 482UFTN, 9-15, April 1985

LINKS:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/482uftn.html

TN TN - Campbell County - White Female 482UFTN, 9-15, April 1985 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I have often wondered if the Greene County Jane Doe case might be related to the murder of Travis Shane King, age 8, of Bristol, Virginia. He was abducted, strangled, and his body dumped near a lake in Sullivan County, Tennessee, which was just over the state line from Bristol, VA.

The main suspect in Travis Shane King's murder is convicted child molester/killer Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. Coffey's home town was Bristol, VA. His known and suspected victims were both male and female and they ranged in age from 3 years to 15 years old. He seems to have had a particular attraction to petite white girls in their early teens. His known method of killing was strangulation or bludgening. And in instances where the bodies were found, he stripped them of clothing and dumped them in open, rural areas, often near water.

This Greene County Jane Doe's age was estimated at between 15 and 17. She was killed by blunt trauma to the head, was stripped of all clothing and jewlry and dumped in the open, near water probably in March 1985. There is a strong similarity between this murder and several other murders in which Coffey is a potential suspect.

Travis Shane King was murdered in August 1986, and his body was dumped only two counties (aproximately 10 to 30 miles) away from where the Green County Jane Doe was found.

Here is an excerpt and a link to an article on the Travis Shane King case:

----------------

BURDENS OF PROOF: File still open on Travis Shane King

By: CLAIRE GALOFARO
BRISTOL HERALD COURIER
July 11, 2011

BRISTOL, Va. -- For 25 years, Rozesetta Miller has laid down each night, put her hand over her mouth and held her breath – wondering how long it might take her to die that way. She hoped a stroke five years ago might make her forget to wonder what her 8-year-old grandson’s last words might have been; if he suffered; whether he cried for his mamaw.

“That little face – I just can’t forget it,” Miller said. “It’s been hell, pure hell. I remember the day, the time. It was a quarter after 10 when they found him.”

On Aug. 21, 1986, Travis Shane King followed a man with a metal detector from Eastridge Apartments, where he lived with his mother and Miller, as he headed into the woods. The boy’s body was found the next night – strangled and dumped near a rural Sullivan County lake....

... There is only one suspect: a Bristol-born convicted child killer and serial molester.

“He bounced around his whole life. And wherever he was, kids ended up dead,” said Bristol Virginia Police Sgt. Steve Crawford, part of the third generation of detectives to inherit the case.

Fred Howard Coffey, 66, is in prison six hours away for murdering a 10-year-old North Carolina girl seven years before Shane was killed. Coffey is suspected of killing others – maybe one little girl, maybe more – and reportedly confessed to molesting 100 kids...

Much more at link:

http://www2.tricities.com/news/2011/...ng-ar-1164205/

Bumping up due to recent comments on another Tennessee Jane Doe case two counties away.

Just a few days ago, a Jane Doe located in 1985 off Highway 40 in western North Carolina, (about 8 miles from the NC and Tennessee line) was identified as Priscilla Blevins. Priscilla went missing from Charlotte, NC in July 1975.

The Greene County Jane Doe was found beside southbound Jeraldstown exit to I-81 in rural Greene County in April 1985, by a 15 year old fishing near exit 44. The body was found approximately 58 feet off the southbound Exit 44 entrance ramp. She was badly beaten. There was no physical evidence at the scene.

Highway 40 connects to Highway I-81 just inside Tennessee. Greene County Jane Doe was found between the junction of Highway 40/Highway 81 and Bristol TN/VA. Could there be a link between these two cases?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back