TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the parents out there, for what reasons would you move a sleeping child into bed with their sibling - instead of into their own bed, or leaving them sleeping where they were?

Too many to list, actually. I've carried sleeping kids from one place to another, but not at that age.... only up until they were maybe 5... after that, fuhgeddaboutit... they're too heavy for me to lift anymore.

Interesting rumor on Topix that the grandmother is filing for custody of the little girls. Don't have anything to confirm.

I am baffled at the silence in this case. When LE stated that they found DNA on her body and in the car, I was certain that an arrest was imminent. What is taking so long?

I never hear anyone speak of David's family and I have wondered about them myself.

People tend to reference Karen's brother (who spoke to the media) as if he lives in Tennessee ; however, neither David's nor Karen's families are from here. They are from AR and MO, although very close to TN. Because they are not "locals", the Swifts and their families were not widely known until this tragedy forced them into the spotlight.

Perhaps someone else here knows of David's family?

It was reported elsewhere that David's parents died when he was young. Don't know any more than that. moo

Did some searching to see how long coroner reports typically take - from what I found, don't expect anything too soon - takes many weeks....
Let LE do a through job here, don't want tunnel vision.

It does seem strange that Karen would have moved her child if she herself had intended to remain in bed for the night...why not let her stay with Mom?

Did it say they were in Karen's bed? I didn't see that. Just that they had fallen asleep together . I assumed that they were in the living room and that once she fell asleep she moved her to a bed. Also people keep talking about her pj's I never saw a report on that either (am I missing things? )

Reason I move a sleeping child to sibs bed from living room.

I forgot to put sheets on bed and I already had child in arms.
They end up in the same bed anyway why fight fate.
I don't want someone to wake them up in the am.
They are wild sleepers (my one daughter is like a little monkey) and I can not sleep with her. But she is calm in her sissy's bed .
They share a bed or a room.
Maybe she did wake up and doesn't remember happens all the time .

My middle son used to kick me when he was a child and we were sharing a bed. So that's a good reason for moving a child.

My husband has had a theory for weeks that the husband wanted to "talk" to Karen so he signaled her from the door and she moved the daughter to another bed so the kid could sleep. I still think that's plausible.

I think LE is waiting for the ME report on the DNA - correct? What I am wondering is: what if they are unable to identify who the DNA belongs to. If it is not from anyone in the Swift family, either of the two neighbors, or anyone with a criminal record whose DNA is on file, (RSO) then what? Where do they even start to look for a POI?

I am sure LE has a lot of information on possible suspects, but maybe not.

moo

I think LE is waiting for the ME report on the DNA - correct? What I am wondering is: what if they are unable to identify who the DNA belongs to. If it is not from anyone in the Swift family, either of the two neighbors, or anyone with a criminal record whose DNA is on file, (RSO) then what? Where do they even start to look for a POI?

I am sure LE has a lot of information on possible suspects, but maybe not.

moo

If there's no match, then every so often they would hopefully run the DNA through CODIS...

Gotta think it will take time to get all the reports in... then decision has to be made if they have enough to go forward or wait to get more...

In these days of tight budgets, I can see a prosecutor wanting overwhelming evidence to get a suspect to confess and take plea that saves the costs of court/legal fees.

I am baffled at the silence in this case. When LE stated that they found DNA on her body and in the car, I was certain that an arrest was imminent. What is taking so long?

Depending on what DNA was found, and where on her body,it could easily be explained away if it is the husband's IMHO. They lived in the same house, probably shared the same clothes hamper, possibly the same bathroom etc. Same goes for the car, if they find skin cells belonging to the husband, that would not be highly unuasual, he may have moved her car at some point in the past month, test drove it for her for some reason, got in to put her windows up the last time it rained.
Until we know what type of DNA medium and where exactly it was found, it's not much to go on.

:bump:

:sigh:

I will be gone all weekend, but I will be thinking about Karen and especially her children. They have been left without their dear mother. I hope that LE has enough evidence to put a case together.

If there's no match, then every so often they would hopefully run the DNA through CODIS...

Gotta think it will take time to get all the reports in... then decision has to be made if they have enough to go forward or wait to get more...

In these days of tight budgets, I can see a prosecutor wanting overwhelming evidence to get a suspect to confess and take plea that saves the costs of court/legal fees.

Agree. Also with no statute of limitations on murder, I would assume LE and the DA want to have as much evidence as possible against whatever suspect before filing charges and an arrest. As we all know, they don't get a second chance with an acquittal.

;)

Agree. Also with no statute of limitations on murder, I would assume LE and the DA want to have as much evidence as possible against whatever suspect before filing charges and an arrest. As we all know, they don't get a second chance with an acquittal.

;)

That reminds me so much of what we said about Jason Young in the three+ years it took for an arrest. Then we had the more or less hung jury and a yet to come, delayed trial. Hopefully this investigation will happen faster and with few errors. We justified the delay in the case of murder of Michelle Fisher Young by claiming that it was because the prosecution wanted to build an airtight death penalty case, but it turned out that the family was not in favor of that - which makes sense when there are children, like in Karen's case.

However, that said, if the husband is the only viable suspect, then there is no need to rush the investigation as no other women are at risk. If he was going to kill anyone else, it would have happened at the time his wife was murdered. If the husband has been cleared and there is a random killer wandering the streets murdering women and leaving their car, phone, clothes and body in separate locations, all within a 3-4 mile radius of their home, then most certainly police need to urgently arrest the guy. Anyone that does that has more skeletons so additional charges could probably be added to fill out a long sentence.

I've been on the fence regarding the husband being the suspect, but I think I would be even more doubtful if LE made an arrest right now. It's not that easy to prove spousal homicide unless it was done in the home where the evidence is clear, without some strong circumstantial evidence like a history of previous abuse or an affair, on either side. I don't think Scott Peterson would have been convicted if they had not found out about Amber Frey, and all those phone calls.
At any rate, I prefer LE to take their time... cross the t's and dot the i's. They only get one shot at this, let's don't rush it.

I hope we get some news this week! I get Google alerts but they are repostings of the same stories or blog posts putting this case as the top crime stories of the year. Justice for Karen!

:bump: *bump*

But it does happen. Could have been someone stalking her, but it could also be just some stranger who saw the opportunity and grabbed it. Sickos drive around at all hours and a lot of them prefer the night or wee hours of the morning, because there is less chance they would be seen.
Could have been a guy she knew or had just met. We know she left the house sometime after 2 a.m. but we don't know why. It could be she and this guy had already made arrangements to meet and things got out of hand, she turned him down and he was enraged enough to kill her.
I wasn't aware that the husband had been named a suspect. I must have missed something, but then I barely check in every couple of days, so I'm always behind.

I agree that a predator out driving around in the wee hours of the morning is not improbable. I'm sure the party Karen attended wasn't the only one in town that night, and some were undoubtedly less tame. The killer could be someone who had too much to drink at a party, or a predator who had left a bar across town and was searching for a victim.

A local with a violent streak and substance abuse problem is not hard to imagine as far as suspects go. The only real issues are explaining why Karen left the house again and determining when she left. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon