CATCH THE LATEST WEBSLEUTHS RADIO AS WE LOOK INTO THE TERRIFYING WORLD OF MEDICAL SERIAL KILLERS
CLICK HERE TO LISTEN

TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #2

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by bessie, Oct 8, 2013.

1. bessie

bessie Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

***WARNING*** Description is graphic.

- Short blonde hair. Naked in the weeds,
    - lying on her right side, back bent, arms tied behind her with plaid cloth.
    - Her eyes are slightly open, and her head is pushed far back...
    - her blouse tied around her mouth and neck.
    - Her throat has several almond shaped cuts.
    - There is a puncture wound below her small left breast.
    - Blood is here and there.
    - Her right leg is straight
    - her left knee is drawn almost to her waist.
    - both vaginal and anal penetration
    - Her buttocks are nearly black from the bruises.
    - What clothes weren’t used to bind and gag her are crumpled beside her.
    - a little glove with a checkered, Christmasy design
    - Her coat lies in front of her
    - white underwear are wadded on the ground against her chest
    - Scattered on the grass are her purse and a deck of her playing cards.
    - Beside her thigh, on its wheels, ready to be picked up and put on, is a clean, white, leather roller skate.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

Thread #1

2. bessie

Kathy went missing on the evening of November 29, 1969, the same day as Glenda Sirmans.

The plaid cloth was torn from the lining of her jacket.

I'm quoting my own post with a list of the facts taken primarily from media reports.

ETA: Adding links

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville/a-killing-a-search-a-suspect/Content?oid=1182733

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=10774294

3. Kell1

Kell1 Verified law enforcement

Thanks Betty

Without any crime scene photos to work with I have to base my opinion just on what we do have here.

I don't think this was a planned, abduction, I think it was an opportunistic grab.

The offender wasn't really prepared for the abduction, hence why he had to use her own clothing to bind, and gag her.

Unfortunately this beautiful girl seems to have fallen victim, to the offenders perception, of injustice (real or imagined) against him... Namely Anger

I feel there was most likely a precipitating event that "set him off"

Though the offender inflicted a lot of pain upon her, the forced anal and vaginal rape, the marks on her buttocks, the callous indifference, it seems more indicative of anger (rage) than sadism, whereas id expect to see more torture style injuries, over a longer period of time.

Possibly with a slower more enduring style of killing the victim, commonly seen is sadistic killings, ex .. (repeated strangulation/release etc..)

In terms of physical violence visited upon the victim, the stabbing of the victim, tells volumes, this would be a different analysis if it were post mortem mutilation, however I feel the post mortem stabbing of the victim, which is evident by lack of blood flow to those injuries, demonstrates, that pretty, well.. he wasn't done with her, he felt the need, to take more out on her body, even though she was most likely deceased.

Another factor to consider, is that this individual might not have known she was deceased, when he decided to stab, her, furthering the notion, that this was a first time murder.

I don't think you'll find similar crimes in his background, for example, he didn't seem to know how to control a child though id certainly expect to see some prison time, for other crimes like assault, threats, theft, things along that line.

A history of a prison sentence, can also sometimes, evident by anal rape

I wouldn't however rule out further attacks, after this one, though not immediately .

Hell most likely be blue collar, lives or works, near where she was abducted, is at least familiar with where she was dumped.

If he has any military background id expect to see a dishonorable discharge, for behavioral issues, like, insubordination

I ll go one further, and say that there was most likely someone who knows, or at least strongly suspects, he was involved.

I think he would've been interviewed by police, and would've shown a lot of post offensive behavior.. increased use of alcohol or drugs , changing of appearance, unusual interest in the case, and possibly a sudden unexplained move to another area. He may even have confided, in someone about it,

Given this is all speculative, given that we were going off news reports.

4. bessie

When detectives were interviewed in 2009, they were optimistic about obtaining a profile of the perp's DNA. Today, a profile can be created from a very small amount of DNA material as compared to the past. Then it's a question of matching it to a known profile.

The first suspect was Adcox, the bus driver who's now deceased. He was actually arrested, but there wasn't enough evidence to build a case, so he was released. He remained a suspect at least as late as 2009.

In 1998, Det. Miller stated he didn't think the bus driver was responsible. He was certain another man was the killer. I've always wondered how that panned out, and whether the unnamed person is a suspect today.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/19024068/cold-case-detectives-seek-publics-help-in-grisly-killings

5. December

December Verified insider - Kathy Jones case

Hi, I am sorry to be away so long.

LE has interviewed hundreds of men. So, very likely they did interview the murderer.

They also interviewed many people they knew weren't the murderer in order to get their impressions of this crime. Some of these people must have known the murderer.

Definite on sexual assault. I wish there was doubt, but there is not.

6. December

One major suspect is still alive, so...

Last I talked to him, the detective was carefully reading the MANY police interviews with this individual.

7. December

Yes... I took a break... I'm sorry, I have some things happening.

Thank you for your kind words about Kathy. I didn't know her, but she was much beloved by my family.

edit.. this is to belfastgirl73

8. December

Pat Postligone did exactly what you mentioned. He read the file without thinking about the suspects the other detectives found. He spent quite some time on this due to my cousin (Kathy's aunt) personally calling him. She has since died and he has retired.

He came up with the same list of people, I think.

A stranger might be someone who has seen Kathy around and is kind of connected to her.. like Adcox.

9. December

IDK what happened with that... some things have changed since Micky Miller talked to the Scene, i think.. but IDK details. He did personally spend time on the case, however.

10. December

One person almost prosecuted is a known (convicted, went to prison) child rapist. Adcox, the now deceased bus driver. My father always thought Adcox did it due to him threatening the little boy.

11. December

Thank you for thinking of Kathy.

12. December

Somehow I missed Pat Postligone outright saying Kathy never made it to the skating rink. I don't think he would say that without there being evidence in her file of this. Whereas Mickey Miller might have been speaking directly to the suspect in some of his quotes (in a veiled manner). MOo

13. December

The murderer dumped out her purse and so maybe he just picked up the money she had out of the things he strewed around.

Thank you for thinking of Kathy and thank you of thinking of me.

Edit... this is in answer to Veidt.

14. December

Yes. Vaginal and anal. I hate writing that... They did an examination of her, the crime scene, and some type of autopsy. The current detective has read it so it's there. I don't know the difference between a 1969 autopsy and one the would be more modern... but ... anyway, they still have a lot of her stuff like her clothes. Her file is a banker's box, then there is more stuff... Every detective signs what they worked on so a new detective can see easily who has been through the box.

15. December

I think the theory of 'maybe she did get there' came about exactly why you said... maybe she was just going there and figured people she knew (friends) would be there.

But, apparently Pat Postligone, a very renowned detective... now retired, says she never got there. He has gone through her file with great care, so maybe there is somehow evidence she never got there? IDK...

16. December

We actually found who owned the skating rink and he had an insulation business right beside it (as well as other businesses). He sold it and it has changed hands several times. Krispy Kreme is and was a chain. The road was widened, so I think it moved somewhat since 1969. I have actually been inside the very location Kathy would have visited back before they changed it (decades later)

17. December

There is a motel nearby (or was in 1969). It was on the other side of the RR bridge. Motel means it'd be easier to come and go without interacting with staff.

Back then, many people would stay with family. But many of the nearby houses aren't that big so a person might decide to stay at the motel instead of crowding in a small house.

Some people thought they saw Kathy on Sunday, but police do not think she could be out walking on Sunday. I know you didn't mention that, but at first Kathy was considered to be a runaway. So it was a shock to find her dead. But, instead some short time after leaving her house, Kathy lost control of her actions altogether.

18. Searchin'

Searchin' New Member

Welcome back, December! We missed you!

19. :+:MrTT:+:

:+:MrTT:+: Cold Case Files

Did they find her street shoes??

20. December

Thank you... I still have some things happening. I am going to slowly play catch up.

Thank you to everyone for helping Kathy. I appreciate it so, so much.