GUILTY TN - Lisa, 55, & Joel Guy Sr, 61, dismembered, Knoxville, 25 Nov 2016 *Son Arrested*

I’ve watched all the court videos. Do we know why he had not returned to the scene to finish up? And they briefly touch on it during trial but his dads hands were placed specifically in the way they were and said “we would find out later why”. But I missed the why. Does anyone know? This case was so disturbing and his responses while watching were just as bad. So sad for the surviving family.
I missed any significance with the hands, so now you have me curious. There must also be significance to “cooking” his mom’s head- all the other parts were in the household cleaning decomp acid. Jmo. Makes me wonder if he intended to keep her skull. Jmo. Horrible case.

Welcome to WS, @KSmom333!

I’ve watched all the court videos. Do we know why he had not returned to the scene to finish up? And they briefly touch on it during trial but his dads hands were placed specifically in the way they were and said “we would find out later why”. But I missed the why. Does anyone know? This case was so disturbing and his responses while watching were just as bad. So sad for the surviving family.

Junior cut his hands during the attack or dismemberment of his parents. He was seen at the Knoxville Walmart buying medical supplies. I read that he decided his injuries were too serious for DIY first-aid. He wanted professional medical treatment, but he didn't want to get it in Knoxville as that would blow is alibi. So he drove back to his home in Baton Rouge to be treated. Before he could get back to Knoxville his parents bodies had already been found due to a concerned co-worker of Lisa's named Jennifer Whitehead who contacted the police twice.

This link will take you straight to her testimony:

The prosecutors believe that he was trying to frame his father for his mother's murder. By leaving no trace of his parents except for his mother's hands which had his father's blood under her fingernails he hoped the detectives would think that his father killed his mother and then fled the scene.

He needed to leave some part of his mother's body so the life insurance policy would pay up. Most life insurance policies won't pay for a missing person, only a dead person.

Correction: The video didn't start where I wanted. If you copy/paste - youtu.be/qkzKEFf5BG4?t=9088 - into a browser window the video should start at Ms. Whitehead's testimony.

Last edited:
And a photo of Joel Jr. in prison garb rather than a suit and tie.

Knox County Criminal Court Clerk Asks Judge To Remove Chemicals From Joel Guy Jr. Trial Evidence

"Joel Guy Jr., who was convicted of murdering and dismembering his parents over Thanksgiving weekend in 2016, was back in a Knox County courtroom Friday for a hearing related to evidence used in his trial.

Criminal Court Clerk Mike Hammond asked Judge Steve Sword to remove the hazardous chemicals currently stored in evidence, used as part of the state’s case against Joel Guy Jr. in September.

Hammond told the court the chemicals are a fire and safety hazard to his employees. One of them, he said, had an adverse reaction after encountering them.

“She had suffered a reaction which caused a severe rash on her feet and arms. That rash lasted about an hour and a half,” Hammond said."

The urge to hurt: Guy Jr. says he's fantasized about gouging out the eyes of fellow inmates

"The man who stabbed his Knox County parents to death, cut up their bodies and tried to dissolve the evidence claims he's had fantasies of gouging out the eyes of fellow inmates and could be a threat to the general jail population.

In an Oct. 8 note later collected by authorities, he mentions thoughts of harming one inmate while he slept.

"I'm writing this letter because I don't want to end up with a disciplinary infraction, or worse, more criminal charges, nor do I logically believe that this gentleman deserves to be blind," Joel Guy Jr. wrote, six days after being convicted of murdering his parents and abusing their corpses.

"I don't know what to do. I shouldn't be allowed access to another person while they're unconscious."

Guy, 32, is set to be sentenced Thursday morning by Knox County Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword. He's already facing life in prison for killing Joel Guy Sr. and Lisa Guy in November 2016.

Nassios also argues Guy's letter, which she enclosed with the state's motion, is a ploy to get his own jail cell off by himself.

"The fact that the defendant is threatening to harm a cell mate (even if the threat is spurious), is reason for this court to find the defendant continues to be a remorseless, depraved and dangerous offender."

He's tried this tactic before.

This summer, before trial, Guy tried a legal move that would have allowed Sword to impose the death penalty, something the state didn't seek. Guy wrote that he was willing to get the death penalty in order to be alone in prison, the prosecution said.

The maneuver didn't work. Sword said he didn't have the authority to impose death. That's something that's up to the state of Tennessee, he said, and it wasn't seeking to have Guy executed.

According to the Knox County Sheriff's Office, Guy is being held in the Knox County Jail, in the bowels of the City County Building downtown.

"He is in a cell by himself, he has no access to other inmates and has never been with other inmates during his incarceration," KCSO spokeswoman Kimberly Glenn told 10News.

Joel Guy Jr. Will Spend The Rest Of His Life In Prison For Killing, Dismembering Parents

"Thursday morning, Judge Steve Sword decided to make Guy serve those terms one after the other, and the judge added on two consecutive two-year terms for abuse of a corpse. A person convicted of a first-degree murder count must serve 51 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole.

Guy, who has been held in jail since his arrest in November 2016, will presumably die in prison.

Judge Steve Sword told Guy he had shown no remorse during the trial for the killings and in fact, looked "kind of proud" about what he'd done. Guy showed little reaction as the court addressed him.

Considering the violent manner and execution of the crimes, the judge said he thought Guy was sending a message to both his parents and his family. What he did to his parents, the judge said, was "pure evil overkill."

"Sword said Guy was sane and that he wasn't likely to change his mind about what he'd done. Some family members had expressed hope he'd repent.

Guy's attorney will appeal the convictions, arguing authorities improperly seized evidence from inside the Guy home on Goldenview Lane. Sword set a Feb. 5 hearing date to check on the status of the appeal."

I'll admit that I know nothing about psychology, psychiatry or sociology, but those who do might find this video from Dr. Todd Grande interesting.

Joel Guy Jr. | Mental Health & Personality

You knew this motion was coming.

Joel Guy Jr. Files Motion For New Trial, Claims Pandemic Impacted Trial

"Attorneys for Joel Guy Jr., a man convicted of brutally murdering and dismembering his parents in their Hardin Valley home during Thanksgiving weekend 2016, appeared in court Friday morning.

During the court appearance, attorneys for Guy Jr. filed a motion for a new trial. The attorneys claimed Guy Jr. did not receive a fair trial due to the pandemic. They also requested transcripts from the murder trial.

The next hearing is set for April 22 at 11 a.m"

Does anyone have any update from last hearing in April?

Judge Denies New Trial For Joel Guy, Request Now Shifts To Appeals Court

"It'll be up to the Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals to decide if the man who attacked his parents, cut up their bodies and tried to dissolve their flesh with chemicals in their own West Knox County home in 2016 is entitled to a new trial.

Knox County Criminal Court Judge Steve Sword denied a defense request Wednesday morning for a new trial for the Baton Rouge, La., man. Guy, 33, wasn't present; he's serving his 106-year sentence in a Whiteville, Tenn., prison."

Nov 17, 2022

"A Knoxville man convicted of killing and dismembering his parents is appealing his conviction and a decision last year that denied him a new trial.

Joel Michael Guy Jr. is serving consecutive life sentences after being convicted of killing and dismembering his parents, Joel Michael Guy Sr. and Lisa Guy at their West Knox County home during Thanksgiving weekend 2016. Authorities searched the residence and found their remains in multiple rooms. Money is believed to have been the motivating factor.

Guy Jr. and attorney Jonathan Harwell filed the 36-page appeal on Oct. 3 in the Court of Criminal Appeals for Tennessee in Knoxville. In that document, Guy Jr. is appealing a lower court’s decision earlier this year that denied his request for a new trial."

Joel Guy Reply Brief in appeal - https://www.wate.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/42/2022/11/Joel-Guy-Reply-Brief-in-appeal-1.pdf

WBIR - April 28, 2023

"The Tennessee Court of Criminal Appeals is giving no break to a vengeful man who murdered his Knox County parents, cut up their bodies and tried to disintegrate them with chemicals, writing they found no significant errors that robbed him of a fair trial.

A three-member panel led by Judge James Curwood Witt Jr. on Friday affirmed Joel M. Guy Jr.'s convictions from his September 2020 trial.

Guy, 35, is serving a life sentence at the Tiptonville, Tenn, prison.

A Knox County jury convicted him of plotting and carrying out a plan to kill Joel Guy Sr. and Lisa Guy in their West Knox County home while visiting for the Thanksgiving weekend in 2016. The 28-year-old unemployed Guy lived in Baton Rouge, La., and relied on his mother to send money for living expenses.

Guy was angry because his parents were about to cut off his support, court testimony showed. They wanted to move to Surgoinsville and enjoy retirement."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back