Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that he is smart (not as much as he thinks) and did not anticipate that this would get the attention it has.

With the above assumptions, and knowing he has nothing to go back to, what is a reasonable thing for him to do? Make it last as long as possible. What is the best way to do that?

Thinking long-term, you need the ability to sustain the basics of food and shelter with the least amount of risk. The best solution, in my mind, is in another country. What are the options? North to Canada or south to Central America (CA). I think CA gives better options and fits his profile the best.

Then again, they could be somewhere on the Natchez Trace on a motorcycle.

The above is my opinion only.

If he says grand things about himself that are not true (CIA, etc.), perhaps he's delusional as in truly delusional (not in the off-handed sense of the word). Maybe he thinks so highly of himself that he can disappear and not have any LE agency ever find him.

Again, this is all about him, not about her well-being at all.

Just speculating, jmopinion

I'm not defending the school at all, but I would imagine that the administration really didn't have any idea what was going on. How often do you think they were checking up on him in his classroom? I'm very surprised that no one reported him much earlier, though. Obviously the students were aware of what was going on, and I would think some of the other teachers were as well.

That's pretty much what I meant by nothing being done about it. Kids talk, teachers have eyes - nobody saw this happening? It's crazy.

Honestly at this point, IMO, I think the most important thing we can do is spread the word of TC and ET to as many people we know in as many states as we can.

Truth is they could be anywhere. They've had plenty of time to leave the country if they wanted. And if they are hunkered down, they had so long to plan that it might be a while before they need supplies. I just don't even know what to think about where they could be.

The lack of sightings is very disheartening. All these tips and not one has been credible? It's very worrisome.

Thats the problem with some of the good teachers that they can get more involved with the kids then what they really want to because the teacher is so popular.The kids will tend to actually try to hangout with them between classes and lead to all kinds of friendship/teacher relationships.I seen it happen at my highschool growing up.

If he says grand things about himself that are not true (CIA, etc.), perhaps he's delusional as in truly delusional (not in the off-handed sense of the word). Maybe he thinks so highly of himself that he can disappear and not have any LE agency ever find him.

True, it is hard to understand his reasoning.

However, I don't think hunkering down and hiding out is an adventure to the Borne type. He needs to be on the run until he has out run and out smart his pursuers.

I do think he believes that he cares for her and he may. He may have convinced himself that only he can save her. That may all change if he feels that she has rejected him.

Thats the problem with some of the good teachers that they can get more involved with the kids then what they really want to because the teacher is so popular.The kids will tend to actually try to hangout with them between classes and lead to all kinds of friendship/teacher relationships.I seen it happen at my highschool growing up.

A professional adult is not tempted by the popularity but knows where to draw the line.

I'm not giving anyone a pass because they are popular with the kids. I have no problem with popular teachers, but I do with the ones who behave as friends with the students. That is an abuse of power, imo, and a good way to get fired as well (in a school that is paying attention).

jmo

I think he was and is fully aware of what he's doing. I think he has been purposeful to lie and manipulate others.

He doesn't only boast. He creates complete lies and an alternate past. Where did he grow up?

According to the information given in his personnel file he graduated from Mt. Pleasant High School in Mt. Pleasant, TN. If I remember correctly he grew up in the same town as the prosecuting attorney on his case.

A lot of good teachers care about their students and can have a very positive impact on their lives. There's nothing inherently wrong with a teacher letting kids hang out in a his classroom as long as they have some boundaries. I'm sure TC had a very positive impact on a lot of the kids he taught, but what went on with ET definitely crossed a line,

That is very true and why there is a huge responsibility for the teacher to know and stay within the boundaries.

I really hope that their plan wasn't too hunker down and that TC took ET out into the middle of nowhere. That they ditched cell phones and such. Then he has a heart attack and dies and she's stuck in the middle of nowhere with no knowledge how to get back to society.

A professional adult is not tempted by the popularity but knows where to draw the line.

I'm not giving anyone a pass because they are popular with the kids. I have no problem with popular teachers, but I do with the ones who behave as friends with the students. That is an abuse of power, imo, and a good way to get fired as well (in a school that is paying attention).

jmo
I agree. I posted before about a particular popular teacher I had, as an example. We totally hung out in his classroom, but he had very clear boundaries.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/34990689/...maury-county-schools-announces-new-task-force

( Sent from WSMV )

Maury County Public Schools has announced a new task force aimed at improving communications between parents and school officials in the wake of a nationwide search for 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas.

The task force, announced Friday, will be made up of eight people, including a principal, teacher, parent and a sergeant from the Maury County Sheriff's Department.

There are three main goals:

Review current policies for student and/or staff incidents
Make recommendations to improve those policies
Create a stronger checks and balances system

The group will meet for about six to eight weeks and plan to make recommendations to the school board by May.*

The first meeting is scheduled for April 7.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

He may been only tring to boost her ego at first ,and it somehow got out of hand.I don't know for sure,but thats what I sensed.I think she kissed him off guard.
Yikes. Uh, even if he was trying to boost her ego, do you recognize how he went about it in an unhealthy way? I'd love for you to expand on your thoughts a bit because I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding and honestly hoping I am?

jmo

Many teachers befriend the students so that they behave in the classroom. Many teachers will also bully students that are being bullied by other students just so the bullys will behave in the classroom.Teachers have all kinds of techniques since each has their own experiences with the kids.

According to the information given in his personnel file he graduated from Mt. Pleasant High School in Mt. Pleasant, TN. If I remember correctly he grew grew up in the same town as the prosecuting attorney on his case.

Do you think there are implications?

Destiny Church is of the Assembly of God denomination, which is the type of church I attend. There is an A/G campground about an hour from Columbia in Goodlettsville, TN. It got me thinking that maybe ET may have attended that camp (possibly with my kids), or TC could have gone with the church's youth group as a camp counselor one year. I wonder if they have checked that campground. There are cabins, dorms, a full kitchen, medical building, everything anyone would need to disappear for a little while. Youth and Kids Camps don't start until June.

Edited to add . . . I realized that TC and I have mutual friends on FB, one of which is the District Youth Director for the Assemblies of God in TN.

I know the Assemblies of God well and usually the various districts use the campgrounds all year round for various functions, not just youth camp. They usually also have caretakers that live on site that keep an eye on the buildings and do general maintenance, etc. I would be surprised if they went there... it's not hidden away enough. Of course, I don't have experience with the Tennessee AG so I could be totally wrong, but I know Ohio and Missouri use theirs regularly.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/34990689/...maury-county-schools-announces-new-task-force

( Sent from WSMV )

Maury County Public Schools has announced a new task force aimed at improving communications between parents and school officials in the wake of a nationwide search for 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas.

The task force, announced Friday, will be made up of eight people, including a principal, teacher, parent and a sergeant from the Maury County Sheriff's Department.

There are three main goals:

Review current policies for student and/or staff incidents
Make recommendations to improve those policies
Create a stronger checks and balances system

The group will meet for about six to eight weeks and plan to make recommendations to the school board by May.*

Oh for Pete's sake. Meet for six to eight weeks with the goal of making a plan of recommendations?? And, lemme guess, then take summer vacation.

Who has a backbone in that school? Surely if they can't come up with a communications plan, they could copy a plan another school has made.

If I were a parent in this school, I'd be fuming.

jmo

Yikes. Uh, even if he was trying to boost her ego, do you recognize how he went about it in an unhealthy way? I'd love for you to expand on your thoughts a bit because I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding and honestly hoping I am?

Yeah, he messed up.He was a stupid teacher.

Well I guess the good news is the school district is making changes but they still have a long way to go IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member