Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if he had any other screen names online besides variations of his name?

The school completely dropped the ball, especially after the kiss was reported.

I know this will tick everyone off, but I'm not so sure the school actually DID drop the ball on this. ONE student reported seeing a teacher and student kiss. According to the student, they weren't making out or anything, it was just a peck. So she reports the incident on Jan. 24. Which was absolutely the right thing to do, and good for her. The school follows up on the alleged incident. Both the teacher and the student denied it ever happened. The school issues a written report on Jan. 30, one week later, ( note that it's actually just 4 days because the 28th and 29th were the weekend) concluding that the report can't be confirmed. Well, how COULD it be? Let's remember this is a teacher who had no prior history of misconduct, no other reports of this kind of behavior, and was well thought of by students and teachers alike, and both parties denied it. Was the school just supposed to ruin a man's career based on a report of what ONE student THOUGHT she saw? Never the less, the school decided to remove the student from this teacher's class. Good for them. Where things seem to go awry, IMO, is when the student defied the school and continued to visit this teacher's classroom anyway, and said teacher seemed unwilling (or unable, or whatever) to enforce that.

Where I become completely confused, is why (according to ET's father and lawyer) sheriff's deputies show up at the student's home on Jan. 31 to question the father. I assume this was initiated by the school, yes? If so, then perhaps the school became concerned about their own inability to keep this student out of this teacher's class. I really don't know.

It seems like everyone here is willing to lay into the school , and I really can't for the life of me see where they dropped the ball on all this. So...what am I missing?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-a...ee-student-elizabeth-thomas/story?id=46273578

And they are continuing to show their true colors by refusing to wear green ribbons for ET.

I cannot imagine a school system so screwed up! Who oversees the Superintendent and Principal at Culleoka?

It is very probable that the staff have been briefed on what they should/shouldn't do. This is likely where their school counselors (and possibly community counselors and social workers as well) have come into the picture. It is imperative when dealing with trauma that children return to as normal a routine as possible. Schools have to maintain an environment of safety for the children attending the schools after this terrible event, and this applies to mental health also. I would think that the school staff are trying to keep an element of routine going, and to wear ribbons while at school, discuss the situation in classes, etc. would be very disruptive and upsetting to many of the children. Yes, initially there is a time/place for all to discuss, grieve, ask questions, etc. but at some point a routine must be established. Otherwise, there would be total chaos and meltdowns which would do more harm.

This post is in no way trying to excuse, support, or defy the actions by the school system; I am not an attorney and cannot speak to what was/wasn't done prior to the abduction. I am only speaking to the trauma that the students and teachers probably have endured as a result of the event.

IMO

I am unsure how to delete my messages. I am fairly new to web sleuths and am on my phone.

I am unsure how to delete my messages. I am fairly new to web sleuths and am on my phone.

Click on your user name and it will take you to your profile....there will be messages listed....view them and there should be an option to delete and confirm. HTH.

I know this will tick everyone off, but I'm not so sure the school actually DID drop the ball on this.
I think there were red flags before this. Even one teacher they had talked to mentioned the kids being in his room all the time, not just her, and no teachers reported that.

It's like the teacher at my niece's school I mentioned. I thought he wasn't enforcing some boundaries he needed to with kids, he dropped all professionalism. I don't have concerns with him doing anything bad, I think he is asking for trouble though. I was the second person to bring it to their attention and it was immediately handled before I told them and he was counseled on why this was an issue. He was a very new teacher also.

The first person to report it was another teacher. More experienced and trained teachers should have picked up on boundaries he wasn't keeping and reported it. He didn't go through the same training as teachers go through so I can understand someone in that situation not necessarily understanding that to begin with.

However for those teachers, the schools really need the training there and if other teachers see something like that they need to speak up.

He is going to run out of money fairly soon. One or both will have to find a job. That would be her opportunity to escape. If somebody steals money, they will be busted. If she does not drive, she probably has no ID other than her devices......so not easy to get a job. JMO

Do you think Cummins would be able to get fake /forged I.D documentation for himself and Elizabeth ?

Click on your user name and it will take you to your profile....there will be messages listed....view them and there should be an option to delete and confirm. HTH.
I will try. I just could not see the delete option. I am probably overlooking it .Thank you for you help :)

I know this will tick everyone off, but I'm not so sure the school actually DID drop the ball on this. ONE student reported seeing a teacher and student kiss. According to the student, they weren't making out or anything, it was just a peck. So she reports the incident on Jan. 24. Which was absolutely the right thing to do, and good for her. The school follows up on the alleged incident. Both the teacher and the student denied it ever happened. The school issues a written report on Jan. 30, one week later, ( note that it's actually just 4 days because the 28th and 29th were the weekend) concluding that the report can't be confirmed. Well, how COULD it be? Let's remember this is a teacher who had no prior history of misconduct, no other reports of this kind of behavior, and was well thought of by students and teachers alike, and both parties denied it. Was the school just supposed to ruin a man's career based on a report of what ONE student THOUGHT she saw? Never the less, the school decided to remove the student from this teacher's class. Good for them. Where things seem to go awry, IMO, is when the student defied the school and continued to visit this teacher's classroom anyway, and said teacher seemed unwilling (or unable, or whatever) to enforce that.

Where I become completely confused, is why (according to ET's father and lawyer) sheriff's deputies show up at the student's home on Jan. 31 to question the father. I assume this was initiated by the school, yes? If so, then perhaps the school became concerned about their own inability to keep this student out of this teacher's class. I really don't know.

It seems like everyone here is willing to lay into the school , and I really can't for the life of me see where they dropped the ball on all this. So...what am I missing?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/timeline-a...ee-student-elizabeth-thomas/story?id=46273578

My problem with the school is that they determined that there was no inappropriateness going on between Cummins and ET.

They said they investigated. If they investigated thoroughly, they would have found the delete emails that prove he was grooming her.

So what did they investigate? Ask a few kids and a few teachers about it and claim that nothing is going on? BS! The proof is everywhere, they just chose not to go through with it, I assume, since it was ET who the entire faculty accuses her of being a hussy.

The part I don't get in ANY of this is that she is a child....a minor.....whatever the reason, day, month, year for gosh sake HE took HER............regardless he is the one here that was wayyyyyy over the line.

I think there were red flags before this. Even one teacher they had talked to mentioned the kids being in his room all the time, not just her, and no teachers reported that.

It's like the teacher at my niece's school I mentioned. I thought he wasn't enforcing some boundaries he needed to with kids, he dropped all professionalism. I don't have concerns with him doing anything bad, I think he is asking for trouble though. I was the second person to bring it to their attention and it was immediately handled before I told them and he was counseled on why this was an issue. He was a very new teacher also.

The first person to report it was another teacher. More experienced and trained teachers should have picked up on boundaries he wasn't keeping and reported it. He didn't go through the same training as teachers go through so I can understand someone in that situation not necessarily understanding that to begin with.

However for those teachers, the schools really need the training there and if other teachers see something like that they need to speak up.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what the facts are regarding this. I don't know how many students we're talking about, how often this occurred, etc. etc. I do know that several teachers said they saw students in his classroom, but that the door was always open, so that didn't raise alarm bells for them. That said, and again, without knowing all the facts, I will say that my general first impression of this was that it didn't appear to me that Cummins exerted control over this situation of students hanging out in his class. I do agree with you, this should have been an issue that was taken up with Cummins LONG before the reported kiss. And perhaps it was, I don't know. But apparently, this went on for quite some time without anyone in a position of authority putting the breaks on it, so we certainly are in agree that that was an issue that should have been effectively addressed.

My problem with the school is that they determined that there was no inappropriateness going on between Cummins and ET.

They said they investigated. If they investigated thoroughly, they would have found the delete emails that prove he was grooming her.

So what did they investigate? Ask a few kids and a few teachers about it and claim that nothing is going on? BS! The proof is everywhere, they just chose not to go through with it, I assume, since it was ET who the entire faculty accuses her of being a hussy.
There were two students involved with the kiss, in fact the 2nd student went with the 1st to confront him.

I read in an article way back that 2nd TC's grandchild was also present with that kiss. The article I read said he was in the room, the media packet said student 2 was on some stairs and student 1 talked to student 2. I don't know if student 2 was the grandchild in the room or not.

I found student 1 directly confronting TC and asking what the relationship was to be very credible.

Also I don't think the minute this kiss was reported that the father was contacted. If he was not, that is a problem.

Well they are just as corrupt. Who oversees the school board?

The school board is representative of the community so the community likely could hold an election to replace members. Ultimately if problems at a public school aren't addressed locally, it would be reported to local police and possibly the state department of education. People have also sued school districts for board decisions.

In my opinion, we would need more information on these teachers' specific responses before knowing if interventions are needed. In my experience, teachers often just go silent and try to stay out of it because they don't want to connect themselves to the teacher who has committed criminal acts.

So far, I know we have heard rumors they are purposefully not wearing green ribbons etc, but it's possible some are and some aren't. It's also possible their reasons for not doing so may not be agreement with Tad but related to classroom management, the emotional state of students who are having a hard time with this etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member