Found Safe TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #16 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM.

The salacious details will come out in court. You will only be able to escape them by not following this case to the end. As for the press, good luck. They are all about sensationalism as you well know.
She's alive, THANKFULLY. And she's a minor. So you may not be correct about the details coming out at trial. It's possible certain parts could be sealed. Maybe a legal expert can weigh in, but IME, as a surviving victim, there are things that were never released publicly, outside of the trial. I remember them explaining that it was possible some of the media would report certain things, but usually they have some unspoken "codes" and ethics that they just won't break. This was years ago, and I am not a legal expert, however, IMO, we may not get all of the details, nor do we have to on order for justice to be served.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

She's alive, THANKFULLY. And she's a minor. So you may not be correct about the details coming out at trial. It's possible certain parts could be sealed. Maybe a legal expert can weigh in, but IME, as a surviving victim, there are things that were never released publicly, outside of the trial. I remember them explaining that it was possible some of the media would report certain things, but usually they have some unspoken "codes" and ethics that they just won't break. This was years ago, and I am not a legal expert, however, IMO, we may not get all of the details, nor do we have to on order for justice to be served.

I'm certainly not personally asking for details, but to believe the details won't come out in court is wishful thinking. The prosecution has to discuss the details in order to send this SOB to prison for a long long time. As for the media not leaking the details, today's world is much different from yesterday's. The media exists in so many forms and the details are bound to come out whether it be on TV, in blogs, on sites such as this, MSM sites, Facebook, etc. An example of this that comes quickly to mind is poor Shasta Groene's story. I honestly hope you are right but I don't see it not happening.

Couldn't agree more, and posted similar thoughts in the previous thread. As a survivor of sexual assault, my perception has been that some posts have reflected almost a perverse glee in sharing details that contribute nothing to sleuthing or to supporting and protecting ET.

WS is public facing and easily found via Google. ET might just read what has been posted here someday. Might be a good idea to keep that in mind. Just because it's in a police document doesn't necessarily mean it should be discussed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Thank you for this reminder, JaimeSommers. I have hopefully approached this case with sensitivity and compassion but quite frankly, I know I have faltered a time or two in terms of applying discretion and good judgement in my posts. Going forward, I will try to be more cognizant of this.

On a personal note, I am so, so sorry for your pain.

I'm certainly not personally asking for details, but to believe the details won't come out in court is wishful thinking. The prosecution has to discuss the details in order to send this SOB to prison for a long long time. As for the media not leaking the details, today's world is much different from yesterday's. The media exists in so many forms and the details are bound to come out whether it be on TV, in blogs, on sites such as this, MSM sites, Facebook, etc. An example of this that comes quickly to mind is poor Shasta Groene's story. I honestly hope you are right but I don't see it not happening.
You are exactly right, which is why I did not state this as fact, but as my opinion and/or experience. I'm saying it's possible we won't hear everything. And I hope we do not. No one truly knows until everything goes down.

I remember reading the threads here, on the case I'm involved in. It was quite the eye opener that we just don't get everything. Even after the trial, people clearly did not know basically any details about those of us who survived. There were some articles that named us, and they magically disappeared every time it happened. And it was not THAT long ago. So I guess we will see. This is not the exact same situation, by any stretch.

Right. And if her dad is a safe adult, I don't understand why taking her out of his home would be helpful. I thought all along that she was likely missing her siblings. I think it's healthy for her to reintegrate with her family, as long as it's a safe environment.

I also want to point something out. This family is not going to be hung out to dry. LE is not returning her and leaving them to themselves. I was in an abduction situation ( will be in prison forever), and I was young, but not a minor. The DA, investigators, and other experts were always available to myself AND my family, even though I didn't live in the same city as my family for the first year or so after the crimes. They are in constant contact. I assume 1. Because they care. 2. There will most likely be a trial. They are going to support this family and do everything they can to to help ET continue with her life successfully, and support her strength and growth so she can get through the AWFUL period between now and the trial. She is going to be interviewed countless times. There is just so much the general public doesn't know. I have to believe that as a minor, she will be even more cared for than I was. And I can't even imagine how that would be. The prosecution I worked with will always be like family to me. I just want to give people a picture of what is most likely going on. LE Is going to be WITH this family for the foreseeable future.

Just wanted to second what you have stated above. IME, with a close family member who was the victim of a violent SA (although elderly, not a minor) LE and prosecutors were and remain extremely involved and available. Ongoing counselling, countless gentle interviews both before and after the apprehension of the perp. Trial prep. Victim advocates. Added police presence (assault was in 2014 - trial concluded in Nov 2016) to this day.

The people who work in crimes against children and in the area of SA tend to take their work to heart and are passionate about what they do IMO/IME and I believe that ET will get all the support and access to resources that she needs. After my family's experience I am even more grateful to those who work towards justice for victims and want to express my appreciation for those who will be assisting ET and her family move through that process.

I just hope Elizabeth's self esteem improves. So sad to see her Instagram with all the posts about being ugly. She is so beautiful. Many years ago I had such low self esteem there were days I could not leave the house. It messed up a lot of my future plans. I was too worried about what people thought of me. So I just hope so much it gets better for her. I wish she knew there is absolutely not anything wrong with her. Anyhow I do not talk about it much .not even told my husband about it . I hope this is not inappropriate. I just feel so angry that Cummins took advantage of all her insecurities etc. now I hope the media do not take advantage of it all.

Just wanted to second what you have stated above. IME, with a close family member who was the victim of a violent SA (although elderly, not a minor) LE and prosecutors were and remain extremely involved and available. Ongoing counselling, countless gentle interviews both before and after the apprehension of the perp. Trial prep. Victim advocates. Added police presence (assault was in 2014 - trial concluded in Nov 2016) to this day.

The people who work in crimes against children and in the area of SA tend to take their work to heart and are passionate about what they do IMO/IME and I believe that ET will get all the support and access to resources that she needs. After my family's experience I am even more grateful to those who work towards justice for victims and want to express my appreciation for those who will be assisting ET and her family move through that process.
My heart goes out to you and your family.

Yes, it's true. They care and they will be so involved in her life from this point on. You can bet that by now, the family, family friends, relatives, etc., have stacks of business cards belonging to FBI and TBI agents assigned to her case. Any time they are approached by media (which will be almost constant at different times for the foreseeable future), they will be encouraged to hand them one of those cards for any of their questions to be answered. Funny side note: my dad got sick of the cards, and went ahead and threatened some members of the media. That was frowned upon, but understood. Haha. Anyway, I am confident she is going to be watched closely and very well cared for.

This is going to be a very difficult time in her life, but she may really grow and flourish, as well. She's going to be around a lot of professionals (many males), who will finally treat her with respect, and show her what it looks and feels like when a HEALTHY adult male is protective of her in an appropriate manner. I love that! I have a lot of hope for ET!

Those Instagram accounts need to be deleted stat on authority of the FBI. Surely, any information needed to further investigate or use in a trial can still be done without the public still having access to the accounts.

<modsnip>

It IS up to us to keep an eye on what we write!! Tricia and our mod tlcya made that abundantly clear on the last thread. It doesn't matter what the press does or what comes out in court in the future. What matters is that here on WS we behave as compassionate human beings and put victims above our desire to sleuth every little tidbit to death. As Tricia often says "Words have power." And they last forever on the internet. If any of our daughters had gone through this experience, would we want her to come here someday and see a bunch of people discussing intimate details of products that may have been used in her experience? Would we want to read it? I didn't think so. It's up to each one of us to think before we write, be compassionate toward victims and not burden the mods more than they already are.
JMO

It IS up to us to keep an eye on what we write!! Tricia and our mod tlcya made that abundantly clear on the last thread. It doesn't matter what the press does or what comes out in court in the future. What matters is that here on WS we behave as compassionate human beings and put victims above our desire to sleuth every little tidbit to death. As Tricia often says "Words have power." And they last forever on the internet. If any of our daughters had gone through this experience, would we want her to come here someday and see a bunch of people discussing intimate details of products that may have been used in her experience? Would we want to read it? I didn't think so. It's up to each one of us to think before we write, be compassionate toward victims and not burden the mods more than they already are.
JMO
BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL! I can always count on reading heartfelt words from you, Lilibet. Thank you. &#10084;&#65039;

BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL, BEAUTIFUL! I can always count on reading heartfelt words from you, Lilibet. Thank you. &#10084;&#65039;

Thank you, sweet lady. :heartbeat: I so appreciate you sharing about how supported you were in your horrendous experience. And I send big hugs to you for what you endured. I'm so glad you survived! And I'm so glad you are here on WS.
:loveyou:

It is the responsibility of each member to know and follow the rules, posting accordingly. While Websleuths has the power and absolute right to remove or edit a post, that does not mean WS is responsible for member's posts or that members are not bound to police themselves and post as responsible adults in a manner that complies with Websleuths Rules.

Those Instagram accounts need to be deleted stat on authority of the FBI. Surely, any information needed to further investigate or use in a trial can still be done without the public still having access to the accounts.
Ugh. I keep hearing about this, but I can't bring myself to look. I just keep hoping she is the type who can't look at the Internet at a time like this. I was that way. Just thinking about pulling up all the stories made me physically ill. I don't wish that on her, but I REALLY don't want her to see the negativity. :(

It is the responsibility of each member to know and follow the rules, posting accordingly. While Websleuths has the power and absolute right to remove or edit a post, that does not mean WS is responsible for member's posts or that members are not bound to police themselves and post as responsible adults in a manner that complies with Websleuths Rules.
Thank you for everything you and the rest of the mods do! I'm pretty sure most of us have no clue. Personally, I don't know how you participate in "real life" as well as all the details around here.

THANK YOU

I just hope Elizabeth's self esteem improves. So sad to see her Instagram with all the posts about being ugly. She is so beautiful. Many years ago I had such low self esteem there were days I could not leave the house. It messed up a lot of my future plans. I was too worried about what people thought of me. So I just hope so much it gets better for her. I wish she knew there is absolutely not anything wrong with her. Anyhow I do not talk about it much .not even told my husband about it . I hope this is not inappropriate. I just feel so angry that Cummins took advantage of all her insecurities etc. now I hope the media do not take advantage of it all.

Not inappropriate, at all. Thank you for sharing.

Ugh. I keep hearing about this, but I can't bring myself to look. I just keep hoping she is the type who can't look at the Internet at a time like this. I was that way. Just thinking about pulling up all the stories made me physically ill. I don't wish that on her, but I REALLY don't want her to see the negativity. :(

Don't look. Trolls aren't worth your time. :) There's support on there too, but again not worth the waste of time to give the trolls any attention.

How do we feel about sending cards to the P.O. Box that was recently provided in these threads?

A. Great idea - MCET will benefit emotionally and psychologically knowing that she is loved and supported by people that have never even met her. People like us outnumber the negative idiots out there and showing her this is crucial to her healing process. And as long as the messages are vetted prior to her reading them, there is no harm to be had.

B. Bad idea - MCET is a trauma victim and as such might be easily overwhelmed, yes even possibly by well-meaning gestures like this one. Our role as the public in this victim's life is officially over. This child needs privacy and time to heal and an influx of messages from strangers could be too much, too soon which could ultimately have a counter-productive effect on her emotional state.

I am 50/50 with the above arguments and wanted to get some further perspective on the matter. Thanks, guys.

Just want to add that I've always appreciated posters who point out when I'm tripping on the line. Sometimes we can all get a bit excited in these emotionally charged cases. So when another posters points something out just remember we're all on the same side, don't take it personally. :)

How do we feel about sending cards to the P.O. Box that was recently provided in these threads?

A. Great idea - MCET will benefit emotionally and psychologically knowing that she is loved and supported by people that have never even met her. People like us outnumber the negative idiots out there and showing her this is crucial to her healing process. And as long as the messages are vetted prior to her reading them, there is no harm to be had.

B. Bad idea - MCET is a trauma victim and as such might be easily overwhelmed, yes even possibly by well-meaning gestures like this one. Our role as the public in this victim's life is officially over. This child needs privacy and time to heal and an influx of messages from strangers could be too much, too soon which could ultimately have a counter-productive effect on her emotional state.

I am 50/50 with the above arguments and wanted to get some further perspective on the matter. Thanks, guys.

I think you have to do what you feel is best. :)

I feel her family life has been so disruptive and so egregious that she should be put in the care of a couple with no other children. She needs the very best life has to offer at this point: counseling, schooling, and a new home where "icky things" do not happen on her mattress. I have followed this case and I hope that TC gets a life sentence for interstate kidnapping across many states. He sexually abused her. He should be charged with rape of a minor. Hopefully she doesn't become pregnant. I have worried about her so much, her mental state, and when I saw the contents inside that cabin a part of me died. She could so benefit from a structured life, ie; a parochial school; with young girls her age where she can start anew. I don't think she can do this in TN. I only hope that someone steps up to the plate to offer her a new beginning. One where she can become; anything at all that she desires in life. IMHO she needs something she never got from either parent: a stable home with stable tutoring and love. I worried terribly because I saw no footage of her, at all coming home. I don't know if there is video of her "homecoming." Usually there is. I am so worried for ET that I wish these things for her. Health happiness and stability in her new life after abduction and brainwashing by a very sick man who btw; used his status as a teacher to abuse her even more. xo

Rbbm

Imo this wouldn't work.You cant just take a 15 year old, who's had a chaotic life, and plop them down in the "perfect" environment and expect that to be a good fit. It wont be. For a teen that's been living her whole life, dealing with adult issues that she not have had to learn to handle for decades, (if ever!), she now likely has, a unique set of coping mechanisms and behavioral patterns that cannot be done away with by hitting an override switch. I believe she would likely find that kind of environment chaffing, constricting
and, eventually intolerable.

She will have to be met and accepted where she is (developmentally), not where we feel she should be. You can't turn back time, and reverse the unique personal development of a 15 year old, who's been both a child and an adult, simultaneously for years, and make her be just a child/adolescent at this point. This why so many older foster children languish in the system. People are not willing/able to address the duality of this complex Hybrid personality type. All jmo...

Her hope lies in accepting herself, I feel, her family, her history, for what it is. Not replacing with "shiny new people".

Hopefully, she can learn self-acceptance and incorporate everything she has been through, that makes her a unique human being, and find a path forward that allows her to build her best future, using the strength, gifts and knowledge she surly does have, (in addition to, some of wounds, that may never heal. Not to say that they won't, just that they don't always heal completely, but can be mitigated perhaps).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod