Found Deceased TN - Riley Strain, 22, missing after leaving bar, Nashville, 8 March 2024 #3

I don't know about your campus but most of the lawsuits by parents I know of charging that a fraternity provided alcohol that harmed a student involved situations where the student was underage and/or hazing with forced drinking was involved.

I agree we don't know if RS drank at the hotel and if he did, how much and who paid for it. I think we do know RS paid for his own drinks at the 3 bars he went to after leaving the hotel and before going to Luke's. It's my understanding the way the parents knew exactly where he went that night before Luke's was by looking at the time of the charges on his bank card. That suggests too the parents already have a pretty good idea how much he drank at each bar.

I'm not an attorney but even if somebody else paid for alcohol RS drank before leaving the hotel, since 22-year old RS was not underage, it's hard for me to see how that could have be a legal factor in his death. He was walking around & choosing to drink for many hours after that. And his family has said he didn't sound drunk when he face timed with his mother from one of the bars around 7:30 - 8pm. But hiring Morgan and Morgan does signal an intent to sue somebody with deep pockets. And sometimes just a serious threat is enough to get money from a settlement.
MOO
Edit: typos
ITA. I predict a vigorous defense if litigation is served on the frat or the bars.

ITA. I predict a vigorous defense if litigation is served on the frat or the bars.
I'd hope so given the information about what happened that we now have (including that RS and the people he was with that night were adults & free to make their own decisions.) But sometimes it seems entities cave because it's. easier & cheaper to settle than to fight a civil suit. And there's always the concern there could be a huge "sympathy award" if the plaintiffs do prevail. I think most people familiar with the case are sympathetic to the family's loss. Jurors likely would be too. So we'll see.
MOO

We have several cases at our university over the last few years of parents suing both the national fraternity organization and individual students in the fraternity due to the alchohol provided to a student frat member who died of alcohol-related causes.

We don't know if the fraternity brothers provided alchohol to Riley in the hotel where they were staying before they went out to the bars that night. It sounds like the law firm that is representing Riley's family is doing their own investigation and they will look at all these details.

And if the fraternity had a history of violations on campus and the university itself didn't address them by putting the national organization on notice, then the university can also be sued. This happened recently at our university, and the university and parents eventually settled out of court.

So it's hard to say what direction this lawsuit will take, depending on what information the law firm finds during their investigation.
All good points. So much we still don't know about Riley. Did he have a medical condition such as Marfan's Syndrome and was he on any medication? Did he have problems with his vision, bones, joints, back, feet? Did his frat brothers put pressure on him to drink?

I think at this point, all his heartbroken family wants is answers.

JMO

Soo I read link, but what was tox report? Didn't see it there...moo
So far as I know, that report has not been released. Every story says (as that one did) that it will be released in due course "along with the complete autopsy report when it is made public." I expect the family has been told what the report says though.

I don't know that the family hiring of M&M law firm has anything to do with what was found per the tox report. It may just be that the official investigation has run its course and they aren't satisfied. But from what various family members have said, I don't think whatever the report says will satisfy them. I might feel the same in their position. There will be issues with toxicology given his body was in the water for so long. But if, say, the report shows he likely had a high level of alcohol in his system, that might say to family he was over-served. If the alcohol level was low, why was he booted from Luke's? And how did he get in the river if he wasn't all that drunk? If other drugs were present, where did they come from (even if they are drugs people often self-administer. Families don't always accept that.)
MOO

Moo..yea I understand the family. Think this will just cost them and the end result will be misadventure. It is always peaceful by the water, lets you calm down. He got drunk, he fell. But they had a beautiful family life before.. treasure that.....moo

So far as I know, that report has not been released. Every story says (as that one did) that it will be released in due course "along with the complete autopsy report when it is made public." I expect the family has been told what the report says though.

I don't know that the family hiring of M&M law firm has anything to do with what was found per the tox report. It may just be that the official investigation has run its course and they aren't satisfied. But from what various family members have said, I don't think whatever the report says will satisfy them. I might feel the same in their position. There will be issues with toxicology given his body was in the water for so long. But if, say, the report shows he likely had a high level of alcohol in his system, that might say to family he was over-served. If the alcohol level was low, why was he booted from Luke's? And how did he get in the river if he wasn't all that drunk? If other drugs were present, where did they come from (even if they are drugs people often self-administer. Families don't always accept that.)
MOO
:) @NCWatcher Reading your post :), I thought you were reading my mind and asking the same questions I would pose.

Even after the above questions are answered & the info is made known to family --- except the one about how he entered the river --- IDK if they will ever accept that unknown.
They may continue looking for a logical-to-them explanation, e.g., a dastardly criminal robbed RS of his wallet and heartlessly pushed him in the river.
imo

I hope some how, some way they can find comfort. In their shoes, IDK if I could.

Are we really spiking guys' drinks in a crowded bar these days?
Like for funny haha situations? Doubt it.
It's been a problem for men and women at Nashville bars. Riley's wallet was never found. It was reported that Riley tried to enter another bar and was denied. I'm wondering if it was because he didn't have his ID.

JMO

It's been a problem for men and women at Nashville bars. Riley's wallet was never found. It was reported that Riley tried to enter another bar and was denied. I'm wondering if it was because he didn't have his ID.

JMO

It's been a problem in Austin, TX as well. I'm linking a couple stories but also want to say someone can be roofied with or without being robbed.

In fact there were arrests made of a mother/daughter that took over 55K from victims.

JMO

It's been a problem in Austin, TX as well. I also want to say someone can be roofied with or without being robbed before that rebuttal is used.

In fact there were arrests made of a mother/daughter that took over 55K from victims.

Another frat student at the University of Missouri is facing charges from a prior frat incident involving alcohol.

"A former University of Missouri frat boy has pleaded guilty to hazing another student by forcing him to drink so much alcohol he was left permanently blind and unable to speak or walk.
Ryan P. Delanty is facing six months in jail over the October 2021 incident which left Danny Santulli with significant brain damage. Delanty, of Manchester, Missouri, pleaded guilty Friday in Boone County to supplying liquor to a minor and misdemeanor hazing."
"As part of a plea agreement, prosecutors will recommend a six-month jail sentence followed by six months of house arrest."
The hazing in October 2021 at a Phi Gamma Delta fraternity event left Santulli unable to see, walk or speak."

Might explain why his frat brothers are unwilling to cooperate with Riley Strain's investigation. There seems to be a history of problems with University of Missouri frats and alcohol.

So tragic for both families.

JMO

Last edited:
Are we really spiking guys' drinks in a crowded bar these days?
Like for funny haha situations? Doubt it.
I had a friend some years back whose drink was spiked, he was sexually assaulted, beaten, and left in a ditch. He ended up contracting HIV from the encounter. So it does indeed happen to men as well.

I had a friend some years back whose drink was spiked, he was sexually assaulted, beaten, and left in a ditch. He ended up contracting HIV from the encounter. So it does indeed happen to men as well.
It can happen, I agree. But it seems apparent from all the published videos no one followed RS from the bar that night. If he was drugged with nefarious intentions, it seems odd he wasn't followed when he left the bar alone.
MOO

I guess we have to wait for the tox screen. It will reveal any substances he might have ingested. In this case, i refer to even alcohol as a "substance" since it has been proven he had some drinks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Haororg
Back