TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023 ******MEDIA THREAD, NO DISCUSSIONS*****

DS2021

Reaction score
TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Discussion thread #1
A suspect is dead following a shooting at a private school in Nashville, Tennessee, on Monday, according to police.

The Nashville Fire Department reported that there were multiple patients at the Covenant School, a Christian school for students in preschool through sixth grade.
View attachment 411473
The number of victims was not immediately clear. At least one person has been hospitalized, according to a spokesman at Vanderbilt University Medical Center.

Police said officers "engaged" with the suspect who was then declared dead.

NEW: Nashville Chief says Audrey Hale bought 7 guns from 5 gun stores legally. Says Hale was under doctor’s care for an emotional disorder. Says parents believed she had sold the only gun she owned, but unbeknownst to them there were others

Plz let me know if I'm doing this right

TRANSCRIPTION OF PRESS CONFERENCE

28TH MARCH

LE
- Good afternoon, I'm Don Aaron with the Nashville Police Department. We want to give you a brief update this afternoon, as to what we know about the Covenant murders, yesterday. There's one rumour going on throughout the community that we want to take a moment to clear up. There are those who think that specific individuals were targeted by the shooter who entered the building on Monday. We have no evidence that individuals were specifically targeted. This school, this church building, was a target of the shooter, but we have no information, at present, to indicate that the shooter was specifically targeting any one of the 6 individuals who were murdered. Chief John Drake will now update you on the progress of the investigation, overnight, and this morning, including what we know about the individual's purchases of firearms over the past couple of years. Again, this will be a brief briefing today. Chief John Drake.

CHIEF - Good afternoon, everyone. Thank you again for being here. Just a brief update. What we know right now. We've interviewed the parents of Audrey Hale, and we've determined that Audrey bought seven firearms from five different local gun stores, here, legally; they were legally purchased. Three of those weapons were used yesterday during this horrific tragedy that happened. We know that they felt that she had one weapon and that she sold it. She was under care, doctor's care for an emotional disorder. Law enforcement knew nothing about the treatment she was receiving, but her parent's felt that she should not own weapons, they were under the impression that when she sold the one weapon that she did not own any more. As it turned out, she had been hiding several weapons within the house. We also don't have a motive, at this time. We feel that these students that were targeted were randomly targeted. There was not any particular student that she was looking for, at the time of the incident. And that's what we know as I speak, and we'll take any questions.

REPORTER - What was in that manifesto?

CHIEF - So, in the manifesto, there's several different writings about other locations, there was talks about the school, there was a map of the school, a drawing of how potentially she would enter and the assaults that would take place. It's quite a bit of writing to it, I have not read the whole entire manifesto. Our team and the FBI has been working on this.

REPORTER - Chief, can you say where exactly the victims were located? you said the common area, were they all together, the students and the adults?

CHIEF - So, they were spread out in different locations. When I went into the actual Church, the kids had already been transported to the hospital. Also, the two other adults, I did see the head school person and she was in the hallway by the office. They were spread out they weren't in one common area, but they were spread out.

REPORTER - Can you talk about (inaudible) in terms of targeting other buildings, other places?

CHIEF - There was some writings in the manifesto about other locations, but as far as it being an actual target, I can't confirm that at this time.

REPORTER - About the 6 victims who were killed - Where exactly were they? Were they walking through the hallway when it happened? and I also heard, perhaps, the head of the school may have ran towards the shooter?

CHIEF - It's very possible the head of the school could have done that, I can't confirm that one way or the other. I do know she was in the hallway by herself, there was a confrontation, I'm sure. You can tell the way she was laying in the hallway. There was the custodian, the African American as she shot through the door to enter. She sprayed rounds through the glass, striking him, you can see where he came to rest. As far as the others, they were just spread out in different locations. I can't say it was a confrontation, but she met the head person in the hallway.

REPORTER
- Chief, you mentioned the guns, the multiple guns and that the shooter was under the care of a doctor. Is there any law in this state that would have allowed police to take those guns away from this person, had it been reported?

CHIEF - If it had been reported, there's not a law for that, but had it been reported that she was suicidal, or that she was going to kill someone, and had been made known to us, then we would have tried to get those weapons but, as it stands, we had absolutely no idea actually who this person was, if she even existed.

REPORTER - What else did the parents say? Did they expect anything like this to happen?

CHIEF - So we know, yesterday, Miss Hale was leaving out of the residence, she had a red bag. They asked her what was in the red bag and I think she just dismissed it because it was a motherly thing and didn't look in the back because, at the time, she didn't know that her daughter had any weapons and didn't think any differently. Again, they lost a child. So it's very traumatic for them.

REPORTER - Can you talk about the police response? I know they engaged the shooter pretty quickly, once they got to the school, but can you talk about the events that led up from when they got the call? What time did they arrive at the school? and could you talk about that time, it's like 14 minutes or so?

CHIEF - Yeah, so they got the call at 10:13 and by 10:24 they had engaged the suspect. As they arrived on the property there were police cars being hit by gunfire. The suspect was in an upper level. We believe there has been some training of being able to shoot from a higher level and her gunfire.. from the video I've seen, she stood away from the glass so she wouldn't be an easy target to be shot. But as officers were approaching the building, there was gunfire going on. They went in, they went through door by door, as we clear buildings. They heard gunfire and immediately ran to that and then took care of this horrible situation.

REPORTER - And how long did it take officers to actually get to the school, initially, from when the first call came in.

CHIEF - From the time it went out from 10:13 to 10:24 it was over. The exact time.. arrival time - I'm not sure I know that, myself, I ran emergency and as I got there, they were coming out, bloody and all kinds of things were happening. And so, I barely missed being able or being there to go in as well. So it was really quick, the response.

REPORTER - I was going to ask you about the two officers on scene, have they every been placed in a situation like that before?

CHIEF - To my knowledge, I do not remember if those two, in particular, have been in that situation. Also Kalozo (?) has worked as a paramedic with the SWAT team, so I'm sure he's had some type of weapons training. I was really impressed that with all that was going on, the danger, that somebody took control and said let's go let's go let's go and went in and took care and just tried to end this situation, but as far as being in this before, I'm unsure.

REPORTER - A friend of the Hale family have reportedly said that Audrey was autistic. Can you speak to that? Do you know if that's true?

CHIEF - I can't confirm that. I've heard that, but I can't confirm if that's true or not.

REPORTER - Do you have any indication of the significance of yesterday, why the shooter may have done this yesterday? and also, do you have anything that could indicate whether the school was targeted (inaudible)?

CHIEF - I can't confirm, either. Not sure if that.. we're approaching a holy period at Easter and all of that. I can't confirm any of that, I do not know and so why she targeted that particular church - we do know she was a student at that church, at one point, but unsure right now if that was the reason.

REPORTER - The two officers who were there, how are they feeling today, 24 hrs. on?

CHIEF - So, I talked to them earlier and they're trying to decompress, trying to make sense of all of this. I've talked to President Biden, he's going to reach out and talk to them as well. They're just trying to do whatever they can with their families, and just kind of remove themselves from all of this.

REPORTER - The response time (inaudible) getting to the school, is that acceptable? Is that something you want to look back at and see if there could have been a quicker response time?

CHIEF - We evaluate each and every situation and so, one of my principles is - we're always looking to be innovative and evolving to get better and so we look at every single incident we have and if there's a way to get better... we feel the response right now, from what I've seen, I don't have a particular problem with it, but we always want to get better. We always want to get there in two or three minutes and so there's a lot of things that could have happened, traffic was locked down etc. but we're always looking to get better.

Deadly Nashville School Shooting Leaves 6 Innocent Victims Dead — Everything We Know So Far -- 3/28/23​

This is the same school that was accused of covering up sexual abuse by John Perry, while the shooter was attending.

Here is the lawsuit filed by a church member when they were threatened with retaliation after reporting the abuse:

3/29/23

Art college instructor Maria Colomy, who taught Hale at the Nossi College of Art & Design in Nashville, recalled a Facebook post from the shooter “openly grieving” the individual.

Speaking to The New York Times, Ms Colomy said that Hale had announced the bereavement and asked to be addressed as Aiden and by masculine pronouns from then on.

“She had been openly grieving about that on social media, and during the grieving is when she announced that she wanted to be addressed as a male,” the teacher said.

[..]

Ms Colomy also recalled an incident where Hale suffered an emotional outburst on the first day in class in 2017.

She told the Times that Hale had burst into tears of frustration after struggling to create a password for an online student portal.

At that point, Ms Colomy advised the student to step outside and take a breath. Hale did so, she said.

The teacher said this was the only time she witnessed Hale express an extreme emotion but thought it was noteworthy as an excessive reaction to a relatively unimportant problem.

Cyrus Vatandoost, the college’s president, confirmed that Hale had graduated from the school in 2022.

Jan. 28, 2024

Attorneys in the Covenant School public records case will finally head to trial court on April 16th and make their arguments on whether a Davidson County Judge should order the public release of the school shooter’s writings and other investigative police records and communications.
While Judge Myles set two days aside for the show cause hearing, which will operate like a small trial without any live witness testimony, lawyers told her they believe they can present their cases in a single day. Right now, the days set for the hearing are April 16th and 17th, 2024, with court coming into session at 10 a.m.

Over the weekend, Judge I’Ashea Myles entered a new order in an attempt to deter any more pages of the Covenant School shooter’s writings from being leaked to the public.

The order blocks all parties from filing as part of the record in the case copies of three pages leaked online by a podcaster in November.
Myles also scheduled a new hearing to determine whether the shooter’s writings will be released or not — it’s scheduled for March 8. During that hearing arguments will be heard on two motions:
  1. One in which the attorney for Clata Brewer wants to file under seal a privilege log, listing all of the documents that currently only lawyers in the case and the judge can see and read.
  2. The second motion is asking the court to clarify an early ruling barring lawyers from filing documents that contain “direct information” about any of the shooter’s writings or investigative police records under seal.

The Covenant School received a bomb threat via email at their temporary school site Monday morning, according to the Metro Nashville Police Department.

Police said the threat was sent at about 6 a.m., and an employee alerted law enforcement.

Officers, along with the help of a Tennessee Highway Patrol bomb dog, cleared Brentwood Hills Church of Christ by 11:15 a.m.

“Our Specialized Investigations Division detectives are working with the FBI to investigate the origin of the threat,” MNPD said.

Federal judge orders FBI to turn over Covenant shooter's writings amid lawsuit​

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WZTV) — A week before the one-year mark of the Covenant school tragedy, the fight to make the shooter's writings public continues.

An online publication is taking the FBI to court and celebrating a victory after a federal judge ordered the FBI to turn over the shooter's writings to the court. That judge will then review them and determine if they should be released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back