TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The shooter was a 28-year-old Nashville woman, armed with two assault-style rifles and a handgun, according to police. She was a former student of the school, according to the Nashville Police Chief John Drake.

The three children killed were later identified as Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs, and William Kinney. They were all nine years old.

The three adults killed were Cynthia Peak, age 61, Katherine Koonce, age 60, and Mike Hill, age 61.

*eta:
The woman was named Audrey Hale and lived in Nashville, sources told NBC News.

Police said Hale was armed with two assault-type rifles and a pistol.

Officers have recovered a manifesto and maps of the building relating to "how this is going to take place", said police.

It was also revealed the attacker was a trans woman.

And, so... Audrey Hale can now be identified as a killer <modsnip>... right?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Did LE reveal that was a trans woman? The article doesn't say and the press conference doesn't mention that she was trans. Where are they getting this information? Hopefully not from social media gossip. Can anyone please confirm?
Man. Reading those babies’ names somehow made my heart sink. Real people. Real children. Their poor parents.

Evelyn, Hallie and William.

I’m sad for all the victims but it’s so hard when they’re little kids.

Hale, who had also started to go by the name Aiden, was shot dead by police on site at 10:27 a.m.

A Tik Tok account under the name iam_aiden10 which linked to other social media associated with Hale had a final video posted of a person’s shadow, which showed them bouncing a basketball and then a basketball net, an apparent tribute to a friend who had passed.

On the screen, it displayed the words: “For Syd. I look up the sky is bright. It’s a beautiful day. I wish you were here…”

In online profiles, Hale is listed as having attended the Nossi College of Art and most recently worked as a shopper for Shipt, a grocery delivery service.

Another local said they had seen the shooter yesterday and that she lived at the home with her mother Norma, who works at a church nearby, and father Ron, who is self-employed.

They described Hale as reserved and spoke very little and said she has a brother in law school in Brooklyn.

The source told The Post: “The parents are very nice people, especially Norma. We’re just shocked. We would see the daughter from time to time, she was very reserved, and very quiet.

“She would just park her car and go inside. She didn’t say much at all.”

I went to a private Christian school from preschool through my freshman year. I remember the steps they took to make us feel safer after Columbine occurred - automatic locking doors, a "code word" over the loudspeakers, etc., and I wonder what other changes have been implemented over the past 24 years to protect the students. Going to a school like that can be rough, even with that "protection from the outside world." This whole story just makes me sick...

I predict:
1. No law enforcement body cam will be released.
2. No security cam footage will be released.
3. Perpetrator will have military parentage.

Possible:
1. Source of weaponry will be unclear.
2. and/or source of weaponry will be murdered.
3. Perpetrator will have history of high quality mental health care.
4. Multitude of easily dis-proven conspiracy theories will be promoted.
5. AI social media response.
Possiby a hate crime, I assume this will be investigated.

Last edited:
A former student at a school that goes up to 6th grade….and the shooter is 28….that is a very long time to hold some type of grudge.

<modsnip>

Why such a person (grudge holder) would kill little kids is not explained by any theory that I know of, however.

IMO.

I'm sure no one here had this on their bingo card for Monday but, here we are.
Such a horrific crime against innocent, defenseless people.
And for what?!

It feels like something else just broke in our culture. :(

jmo

The shooter was a 28-year-old Nashville woman, armed with two assault-style rifles and a handgun, according to police. She was a former student of the school, according to the Nashville Police Chief John Drake.

The three children killed were later identified as Evelyn Dieckhaus, Hallie Scruggs, and William Kinney. They were all nine years old.

The three adults killed were Cynthia Peak, age 61, Katherine Koonce, age 60, and Mike Hill, age 61.

*eta:
The woman was named Audrey Hale and lived in Nashville, sources told NBC News.

Police said Hale was armed with two assault-type rifles and a pistol.

Officers have recovered a manifesto and maps of the building relating to "how this is going to take place", said police.

<modsnip: orientation/gender is not up for discussion at Websleuths>

Gender and orientation was mentioned during Q&A at the last press conference by LE. But, we can't discuss it... am I understanding correctly?? ETA: Not being mean here... I'm just trying to understand.

I know it costs money, but securing a school seems very doable.

Get good locks and lock the doors. Lock the dang doors, to start.

Locked main doors with audio and video coverage, limited access with coded keypads, locks and cameras on other entrances, etc.

Maybe the main doors are a double entryway—people wait in between outer and inner doors and don’t get in without stating their purpose for being there, and receptionists check with school personnel to verify before allowing access.

I’m sure a safety expert would have lots of sensible and easily implemented first line of defense options.

Our storage units had a locked and coded gate. Customers each had their own code for access. The storage unit software allowed for any individual code to be locked out of access, either automatically through the software, like when the payment was late, or manually if there was a problem with a customer. The software logged usage, and we could tell from the codes who was going in and out.

Surely the same is available for use with locked and coded doors.

Yes, I’m aware that all systems have their flaws, and where there is a will, there is usually a way.

But surely we can make it more difficult for people to get access to our children.

Lots of schools in other countries are routinely designed and operated this way (and have been, for decades). Indeed, the original build of my own high school had two sets of doors (so a security guard could have been placed there) and then a lobby where, indeed, there was "security" even when I was there (he was called the Vice Principal).

Most of our high schools now are on the open campus plan, just like the college where I teach. Anyone could be anywhere. No locking doors (we fought hard for interior door closures, we lost). Heck, things like light switches and internet cables barely work in many schools. Newer high schools here, though, are no longer built on that plan.

Did LE reveal that was a trans woman? The article doesn't say and the press conference doesn't mention that she was trans. Where are they getting this information? Hopefully not from social media gossip. Can anyone please confirm?
Not sure, May have been LinkedIn and that person identified as he/him.

“We have investigations ongoing now at the residence on Brightwood Avenue and we have made contact with the father that lived at that residence and are putting together more information,” Drake said in a later press conference. “We’ve also determined there were maps drawn of the school in detail, surveillance, entry points, etc. We know and believe that entry was gained through shooting through one of the doors is how they actually got into the school.” The home is owned by Hale’s parents.

Drake said the shooting was a “targeted attack.” He also said, “We have a manifesto, we have some writings that we are going over that pertain to this date of the actual incident. We have a map drawn out of how this was also going to take place. There is right now a theory that we may be able to talk about later, but it is not confirmed. We’ll put that out as soon as we can.”

<modsnip>

Why such a person (grudge holder) would kill little kids is not explained by any theory that I know of, however.

IMO.
If someone gets through childhood without some type of major issue, I congratulate them. Bullies. Bad teachers. Abuse. Illness. Death. Neglect. Etc. I have yet to come across a person where some issue hasn't profoundly affected them.

Somehow....some folks don't get beyond these things ...and some, evidently believe that shooting children is an appropriate answer. It's a sad state, isn't it, Rod?

(Ps good to "see" you).

Imho

The shooter was identified as Audrey Elizabeth Hale, a Nashville resident <modsnip: orientation/gender is not up for discussion at Websleuths>
Correct, but she was born a biological female so when it's reported to the the FBI it will be categorized as a mass murder committed by a white female 28 years old.

"Run, Hide, Fight"

The Covenant School [...] held an active shooter training programme last year to prepare for such an event, according to local Nashville outlet News Channel 5.

When a gunman opened fire last month at Michigan State University in Lansing, Michigan, the school sent a message to all its students, urging them to "Run, Hide, Fight".

The message sparked horror from some parents who were disturbed by the idea their children would have to spar with a gunman.

But active shooting and criminology experts have told the BBC the messaging is an important reminder of the most effective way to reduce mortalities and stay alive in the event of a mass shooting.

"It's three simple verbs that trigger the memory of the training you received, and which tell you that fighting is a last resort and running is a good first resort," said Katherine Schweit, a retired FBI agent.

Victim described as 'a saint'​

A mother of two children at the Covenant School described Katherine Koonce, one of the three adult victims in today's shooting, as "a saint".

"She did so much for those kids," the woman told the BBC over Facebook. "And now gave her life protecting them."

"She knew every single student by name. ... She did everything to help them when families couldn’t afford things, it didn’t matter. She found ways for them to stay."

Koonce was Head of School at the private Christian institution, according to the Covenant School's website.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow