TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alleged 'motive' stated by the killer, isn't necessarily the real motive.

These aren't transparent, open, honest people, sharing their true feelings with all their friends. A manifesto is part of the whole package of trying to manipulate people to view them in a certain, to them heroic, way.

The Toronto van killer claimed a motive that brought him huge notoriety. But at trial it came out that really wasn't the motive. He apparently was terrified to start a new job, and came up with the story, really just seeking suicide by cop, with some kind of comfort in the thought of the notoriety he'd at least gain after he was dead.

But it was really his fear of failing at his first real job, that caused him to do it

JMO

I'm sure no one here had this on their bingo card for Monday but, here we are.
Such a horrific crime against innocent, defenseless people.
And for what?!

It feels like something else just broke in our culture. :(

jmo

Sadly I dread when school names trend on Twitter, it's become so common almost a weekly event.
I knew eventually a school shooter would be a female it was just a matter of time before private schools would be next. No one is safe.

And for what?!

jmo

Sadly I dread when school names trend on Twitter, it's become so common almost a weekly event.
I knew eventually a school shooter would be a female it was just a matter of time before private schools would be next. No one is safe.

Some good images of the property, and article says that the shooter had surveillance maps of the grounds.

Praying for the victims and their families and the entire congregation, with special prayers for the Pastor and his/her spouse whose nine-year old daughter was among the children killed.

I think my opinion on the manifesto would depend on what's in it. All of the manifestos I remember reading in my research made the writer look like a deranged lunatic. These people are not well - whether they are ill or evil depends on the person. But no happy, well-adjusted, loved person comes up with a plan to murder innocents for no reason at all and then writes a babbling book about it.

Obviously if the manifesto is a bomb-making manual or something I don't think that should be shared. But in general I favor public disclosure because it takes away some of the mystique. These aren't heroes, these are sick and evil people.

And for what?!

jmo

On the screen, it displayed the words: “For Syd. I look up the sky is bright. It’s a beautiful day. I wish you were here…”
RSBBM
"Syd" may well refer to the late Syd Barrett, founding member and original leader of Pink Floyd who descended into a mental illness accelerated by LSD use. The Pink Floyd albums Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and The Wall contain themes of mental illness and and references to Syd's life.
MOO

These aren't transparent, open, honest people, sharing their true feelings with all their friends. A manifesto is part of the whole package of trying to manipulate people to view them in a certain, to them heroic, way.

The Toronto van killer claimed a motive that brought him huge notoriety. But at trial it came out that really wasn't the motive. He apparently was terrified to start a new job, and came up with the story, really just seeking suicide by cop, with some kind of comfort in the thought of the notoriety he'd at least gain after he was dead.

But it was really his fear of failing at his first real job, that caused him to do it

JMO

JMO

Interesting. I recall (ages ago when I was in college) a college psych proff suggesting these types of people were vulnerable narcissists. That's why I was curious if narcissism was considered a mental illness either in the DSM or under law. Imho

LE saying "resentment" may be a motive. What changed in the last few years for the shooter? I wonder if they will look into any medications being taken at the time. Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65087221

"Resentment" though, really. It makes me angry. My life changed in an instant when I realized that everyone around me was likely dealing with a serious issue of their own and my problems were not unique and special. Everyone has family or friends get sick or pass away, loss or grief of some type. Disappointment, pain, illness. It is easy to think our own problems are so special - and our society sure focuses on that - when really it's just life. You can make the best of it and move on and make something of your life or you can feel bad for yourself into a spiral.

It really just makes me sick.

I think this particular shooter has a very high opinion of themselves and chose an elementary school to make the biggest news splash possible so we can all read and be awed by their words (manifesto).

I don't think mental illness is involved, probably just a huge case of victim hood and self righteousness.

LE saying "resentment" may be a motive. What changed in the last few years for the shooter? I wonder if they will look into any medications being taken at the time. Link: https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65087221

"Resentment" though, really. It makes me angry. My life changed in an instant when I realized that everyone around me was likely dealing with a serious issue of their own and my problems were not unique and special. Everyone has family or friends get sick or pass away, loss or grief of some type. Disappointment, pain, illness. It is easy to think our own problems are so special - and our society sure focuses on that - when really it's just life. You can make the best of it and move on and make something of your life or you can feel bad for yourself into a spiral.

It really just makes me sick.
I feel the same way. What made this decade+ old resentment come to a head now? The perp hasn't attended this school for at least 15 years, if my math is right.

Everyone has a story. Some really horrible life experiences. We all deal with things differently. Some go to therapy. Some use prayer and religion. Some never talk about it and you would never know. Some work long hours. Some drink. Some smoke. Some use drugs.

And some shoot vulnerable people so they can punish society....

Imho

This article says the shooter was a Trans Man and not a female?
Police said Hale was transgender, although they haven't specified further details. She was born female, but a LinkedIn profile believed to be hers uses he/him pronouns, suggesting Hale was living as a man.

I think my opinion on the manifesto would depend on what's in it. All of the manifestos I remember reading in my research made the writer look like a deranged lunatic. These people are not well - whether they are ill or evil depends on the person. But no happy, well-adjusted, loved person comes up with a plan to murder innocents for no reason at all and then writes a babbling book about it.

Obviously if the manifesto is a bomb-making manual or something I don't think that should be shared. But in general I favor public disclosure because it takes away some of the mystique. These aren't heroes, these are sick and evil people.
You make a good point about public disclosure removing mystique.

I want to say that I intended no disrespect in my earlier post for anyone who wants to read the shooter’s writings.

I guess the truth is that I just can’t handle it. Like many here, I have school-age little ones, my grandkids, who live far away.… I can’t even bear to ask my own child if the kids are asking questions, or if they are afraid.

Maybe the kids don’t live in fear, as the news of school shootings have become a common occurrence to them anymore. Is there a general acceptance by school kids of this ‘new normal’?

If so, that really scares me.

Former school headmaster Bill Campbell said that he remembered Hale as a third-grader in 2005 and fourth-grader in 2006, citing yearbooks he keeps.

“It’s just an absolute tragedy what’s happened by the former student and what she did to the teachers and students,” Campbell said.

Hale was not listed as a student in the annuals in the fifth or sixth grade, so Campbell said he believes Hale transferred after the fourth

“I’ve looked back in my annuals and I do remember her as a former student,” the former headmaster said. “She was just one of our young ladies. ... She was just a typical co-ed. A typical student.”

Campbell could not recall any issues Hale might have had at the time that could have raised red flags.

"I think about this student and our relationship at the time she was there, there was nothing extraordinary and unusual," the former school administrator said. "She was loved and appreciated like all of our students.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288