TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it costs money, but securing a school seems very doable.

Get good locks and lock the doors. Lock the dang doors, to start.

Locked main doors with audio and video coverage, limited access with coded keypads, locks and cameras on other entrances, etc.

Maybe the main doors are a double entryway—people wait in between outer and inner doors and don’t get in without stating their purpose for being there, and receptionists check with school personnel to verify before allowing access.

I’m sure a safety expert would have lots of sensible and easily implemented first line of defense options.

Our storage units had a locked and coded gate. Customers each had their own code for access. The storage unit software allowed for any individual code to be locked out of access, either automatically through the software, like when the payment was late, or manually if there was a problem with a customer. The software logged usage, and we could tell from the codes who was going in and out.

Surely the same is available for use with locked and coded doors.

Yes, I’m aware that all systems have their flaws, and where there is a will, there is usually a way.

But surely we can make it more difficult for people to get access to our children.
The door was locked. The shooter shot through the door very easily.

Stickers/Decals on Shooter's Car?
Active shooter Audrey Elizabeth Hale drove to Covenant Church/School in her Honda Fit this morning,... Video:
snipped for focus @osu (or anyone)
Can anyone identify/interpret stickers or decals on car?*
Any significance? (could have been applied by former owner?)

Yellow cartoonish image sticker?
White sticker under back window wiper?
"Thrasher" sticker, ref. to Thrasher skateboarding magazine?** Or?
Other decal, "Waltrip"*** maybe auto dealer's decal? Or?

Last edited:

Is that a TN. license plate? "Regular" or affinity plate?

*** Used Car Inventory in Franklin, TN | Darrell Waltrip Honda
Could be stuff she illustrated herself?

Yeah. Now reading that she was shooting at LE from the 2nd story window makes me re think her control on the weapon. They did mention in the live news earlier that kids said they seen her shooting from a window but I had no idea it was at LE. Then arriving so quickly and distracting her is probably what saved so many lives. IMO
Interesting. I didn't realize shots were fired at LE. I just watched the surveillance video. The murderer appears to handle the weapon well. Appears trained or practiced, IMHO.

Is that a TN. license plate? "Regular" or affinity plate?

*** Used Car Inventory in Franklin, TN | Darrell Waltrip Honda

I notice when the car turns to the next row in the parking lot, you can see kids on a playground on swings (to the far right of the screen as the car is turning).

I wonder if they heard AH shooting the door for entry? Did AH park further away?

ETA: In the very first shot of the car, there is also someone standing on the sidewalk as AH drives by. Looks like maybe a groundskeeper as he's putting on gloves & seems to be beside a wheelbarrow. Imo.

ETA again: Notice the car video time seems to be around 9:54, then it jumps to 10:10 when the glass door is being shot. So I guess AH sat in their car or was getting psyched up to go in?

In that video, I can see lights going off- emergency/alert lights? In the school.

Didn’t police say she was in a lobby-type area? Wondering if the adults/kids hadn’t had a place to hide or shelter?

It’s awful, especially knowing the school was locked up, as it should have been. I mean, shooting the windows/door(?) out just to get in. How can one prepare for such a situation if you can’t even keep the suspect out?

My son’s pre-k in a catholic school was raised, not ground level so you had to go up some outdoor steps to get to the front door, which was solid, not glass, and you had to press the intercom to be let in. His current school has an intercom too, but the doors are mostly glass. This is terrifying. What solution is there? I know upthread someone mentioned that bulletproof glass isn’t really practice for a few reasons

It’s crazy that we need this. It wasn’t necessary to lock down schools when I was a kid in the 70’s. What the heck happened?

Even if they do manage to lock down the schools, shootings will still happen. Children will get killed as they play in the schoolyards.

There doesn't seem to be a national will to stop it.

Students in the US are prepared from a young age on how to respond to mass shootings.

The Covenant School is no exception - the private school held an active shooter training programme last year to prepare for such an event, according to local Nashville outlet News Channel 5.

This was reported earlier. But despite this training, they had an intruder shoot 2 sets of front doors and then walk around the school undeterred. Am I missing something here? Did she enter through the main front doors? Wouldn't that lead to reception and a member of staff sitting there?

TN. Auto License Plate? Clue to Religion?
If plate on that car is from TN, can anyone tell which "version" of the plate it is?

Just saw this* from Sept 2022, which may or may not be relevant.

“In God We Trust” license plates draw attention"
"Tennessee drivers can choose whether or not to include “In God We Trust” on their license plates when renewing this year, an option that is attracting controversy.

"In Nov. 2021, Gov. Bill Lee invited Tennesseans to vote on a new design. The resulting new, all-blue design for license plates replaced the old plates, which depicted the mountains of Tennessee — and based on an option they choose, drivers may be giving away clues about their religious beliefs.

"The standard plate places letters in front of numbers when assigning a configuration. But on plates with the phrase “In God We Trust”, the letters and numbers are reversed. "

[ETA: And a bureaucratic OOPSIE, re the TN plates from same article:
"This is not the first issue with the new blue plates: Earlier this year, state officials found that license plate recognition cameras could not read the new tags."]

Last edited:
Students in the US are prepared from a young age on how to respond to mass shootings.

The Covenant School is no exception - the private school held an active shooter training programme last year to prepare for such an event, according to local Nashville outlet News Channel 5.

This was reported earlier. But despite this training, they had an intruder shoot 2 sets of front doors and then walk around the school undeterred. Am I missing something here? Did she enter through the main front doors? Wouldn't that lead to reception and a member of staff sitting there?

News reports say AH entered a side door.

ETA:

Hale, armed with three firearms, entered the Covenant School by shooting through a side door, Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake said at a news conference.

News reports from earlier said AH entered a side door. I'll find an article & link it in a minute.
The school's entrance is sideways though. This is from my earlier post (211):

“The school is kind of situated sideways, if you will. So the front door is actually on the side of the building."

I can’t even remember the last school that I’ve seen that just had unprotected glass doors. My kids elementary & middle schools had glass in the front doors but they were made with that metal stuff in the glass. Two sets of doors both sets locked and required ID to get through, then once you made it to the lobby the secretary sat behind bullet proof glass and she could buzz you into the hallway that led to the classrooms.

I don’t understand how there are so many school shootings and so many schools that are so easily accessed by shooters.

Lives with her parents at 28 years of age, drives a Honda Fit (not an inexpensive vehicle), and purchases 3 firearms, including AR-like firearms. Did she pay room and board? Where did she hide the firearms, or did she? Didn't her parents notice anything was going on? She drove around doing surveillance and drawing maps of her targets. Planned it ahead of time, picked her old school because it was an easy target in terms of security and because she knew the layout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow