TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
like expected ..lets say this one thought about it beforehand..
some will try to justify killing children and innocent ppl and even cheer up and sympathise
beware of this going around and being fed by the media.. this media which itself glorifies what it pretends to condemn
in the same time tarnishing everybody who are really in a struggle and a fight

I am still curious as to locations in the building when this happened. when officers arrived school employee stated that they did not know where 2 kids were, wondering if they were 2 of the 3 killed. I also noticed classrooms had restrooms in them which I think is awesome, as kids wouldn't be wandering around on way to restroom etc. and would be easily accounted for. Seems all students were on the 2nd floor when lockdown went into effect. I guess all this will be learned and lessons will be taken, but this school seems to have practiced.

I don't think she shot indiscriminately, per se. I imagine it rather differently but it's too grim to discuss.

I suspect the adults were targeted, though. We should learn more soon enough.

IMO.
What on earth would she target a substitute teacher and a custodian for!! They must have been shielding the kids.

I thought during one of the press conferences yesterday, whoever was speaking (chief?) said something about the officers going in quickly, basically just taking charge and doing what needed to be done. Did anyone else hear that? He’s absolutely right, I just thought it was a little bit of a dig at Uvalde. Although I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be on the chiefs mind at the time

Seems to me it's what the author wants. TRN did not know the shooter or their thought process/beliefs. MOO

From OP's quoted link:

TRN wrote they "do not claim to know the individual or have access to their inner thoughts and feelings" but they "do know that life for transgender people is very difficult, and made more difficult in the preceding months by a virtual avalanche of anti-trans legislation, and public callouts by Right Wing personalities and political figures for nothing less than the genocidal eradication of trans people from society."
This burns me up. Absolute nonsense. No excuse for murdering innocent people. Babies!!

Discrimination and oppression aren’t an excuse for murdering babies. The fact that that group made that excuse is going to harm trans persons, IMO.

I thought during one of the press conferences yesterday, whoever was speaking (chief?) said something about the officers going in quickly, basically just taking charge and doing what needed to be done. Did anyone else hear that? He’s absolutely right, I just thought it was a little bit of a dig at Uvalde. Although I’m pretty sure that wouldn’t be on the chiefs mind at the time
Yup!! I thought of Uvalde right away. What a difference!!

Some conservatives, like Tennessee Republican Representative Tim Burchett, have called for the release of the document, arguing that doing so would give the public critical information about the perpetuator's state of mind.
"We need to know what was going through this person's head, and the manifesto should be made public," Burchett told Fox News Digital in a Monday statement.

But groups advocating for LGBTQ+ rights disagree.
Charles Moran, the national president of Log Cabin Republicans, a GOP organization that advocates for equal rights for LGBTQ+ Americans, also told Newsweek that there are "serious consequences" for the public release of the manifesto.

"While it would certainly give insight into the motivations of this deeply troubled individual that could help shed light into root causes, we know from tragedies like this that additional glorification of the shooter could inspire others to take similar violent acts for attention," Moran said.

Laura McGinnis, a spokesperson for PFLAG, agreed, telling Newsweek that publication of these documents could increase the risk of contagion. She said that while the manifesto could help law enforcement and policymakers identify potential warning signs to prevent future tragedies, ultimately, "the contents don't change the outcome of the tragedy."

This burns me up. Absolute nonsense. No excuse for murdering innocent people. Babies!!

Discrimination and oppression aren’t an excuse for murdering babies. The fact that that group made that excuse is going to harm trans persons, IMO.
Calling the murdered children "collateral damage" is just beyond reprehensible.

Some conservatives, like Tennessee Republican Representative Tim Burchett, have called for the release of the document....
If summaries, or full renditions of the manifestos written by other rampagers have been released, this manifesto should be released either in part, or in whole as well.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO she resented her parents for sending her to this school. Maybe resented her parents for other things as well. IMO she didn't target particular students or staff, she targeted her parents and she killed these 6 poor, innocent victims to hurt her parents.
110% agree with you, @Tillicum. Seems that there are many students who bear a deep...resentment (often comes out in the elementary classrooms where I teach as plain, old-fashioned anger and unexpected verbal outbursts) toward their parents! I guess...once young people with "anger issues" have more years (and a greater likelihood of others not wanting to be around them, or to include them in their groups of school friends), then...it seems now that such anger has been morphing into outright violence, generally as we have been seeing in the last 5-10 years here in the States. It has been rare indeed to hear one of these students with "anger issues" speak of his/her anger, but...every now and then (once in a "blue moon"?), several different students over the years have privately told me, "I'm so angry!" When I've asked them, "So...why do you feel this way, and have this anger? Any ideas?" Almost inevitably the response is toward some adult at home -- could be toward a mom, dad, or even toward a grandparent with whom they live. When I've asked them what ideas they might have for dealing with their anger (and true, this is lower elementary school, so the conversations with middle or high schoolers would be a world of difference), they often have responded (yes, angrily ;)) by saying, "I suppose I should probably try to...[get this!] talk it out, but..." (here they often give excuses, usually directed toward the home authority figure: "He/She won't let me do x", or "They won't let me stay up late at night", etc.)

Just amazing to *me*, really, that many kids so young already have it "wired" into them (thank you, school guidance counselors and parents who emphasize talking out a problem) that talking/listening is one of their best solutions (rather than saying/doing mean or unkind things to their classmates).

I am nooo "counselor" (not a professional one, anyway), but it does seem (MOO here) that these young students who have opened up to me in the past have already figured out a "life key": a way to "work through" difficult life situations. And I do wonder if those who have been the perpetrators of these horrible crimes (such as what took place yesterday morning in Nashville) have decided to just "act", rather than to "talk it out"... (Am making NO excuses for those who took innocent lives; am simply wondering out-loud here how we as adults can help some of the young people in our individual "worlds" by asking them some open-ended questions, and by...listening...)

The bruins v predators game is coming on soon and I’m sure there will be mention of this. I promised we would watch it. I find it difficult to talk about this with my son, though he does the lockdown drills in school. Discussing a specific, recent case is just a lot to put on a child.
Oh, this shooting is getting to me. Kids should not be dying at school. School-aged children shouldn’t have to hear about this or worry about it either.
The weight that we carry is so heavy that I just can’t imagine how the victim’s families feel. So, so sad.

I heard what the chief said and completely agree with him. IMO he was putting to rest any criticism that might be forthcoming toward his officers regarding the shooter not being taken alive or being given an opportunity to surrender. jmo

like expected ..lets say this one thought about it beforehand..
some will try to justify killing children and innocent ppl and even cheer up and sympathise
beware of this going around and being fed by the media.. this media which itself glorifies what it pretends to condemn
in the same time tarnishing everybody who are really in a struggle and a fight

"If it bleeds it leads." the media is making a killing off the ratings for each mass shooting. They aren't going to be motivated to stop sensationalizing it unless they were a law banning it but I don't see that happening either.

I wonder if it is appropriate to discuss school shootings with elementary school students or not. Maybe if they bring it up.

Although, when I was in elementary school, we had "nuclear bomb" drills. As if that isn't mentally disturbing, I don't know what is...
When I worked at a Head Start preschool we practiced a live shooter drill. Preschool. I can't even begin to explain the sorrow I feel for children in the United States.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

This raises a question for me: why have police even called it 'a manifesto'?

Is it because that's what she wrote on top of it "My Manifesto"?

Why give it such a pretentious name? IMO, in reality it was a suicide note.

JMO
'Manifesto' is a strong word. Perhaps her writings could better be described as a Diary of her thoughts.
Either way it will help give LE a better idea of her thought process leading up to the murders.

It's so heartbreaking she didn't get the psychiatric help she so desperately needed.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member