AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I can't find any towers on cell mapping software. I checked all networks. The towers that are there don't show coverage over the home *shrugs*

I have no doubt that it is spotty. In the mountain areas it always is. It gets better depending on elevation but I know for a fact they have cell service.

United States Cell Tower Map - SCADACore

I have no doubt that it is spotty. In the mountain areas it always is. It gets better depending on elevation but I know for a fact they have cell service.

United States Cell Tower Map - SCADACore

I wonder if they use Wi-Fi to make cell phone calls? I do because I’m sitting in an area with little to no connectivity. Wi-Fi works perfectly.

In general, law-enforcement said they had to bring in extra equipment in order to use their cell phones and other types of communication.

Everyday I check in and pray that little Summer has been found safe. My hopes are diminishing with each day :(

I really don’t know what to think about her disappearance, but I do hope this doesn’t turn into another case like the brothers, Orin and Orsen. The more I read about Summer, the more I’m reminded of those two boys.

Let today be the day she is found!

Strictly my own experience as a mom, but we always have old shoes in the garage/basement/donate box. They come in handy for messy projects, bad weather, sometimes they’re just waiting for the next child to grow in to or for me to go through and trash. No way could I tell you what they look like or exactly where they are, nor would I even think of them if asked if any of my kids shoes are missing. Jmo but I bet most families are the same. Summer may not have had on her primary shoes that fit properly and that may have been found in the house, but I would not be surprised at all to learn she could’ve grabbed an old pair from somewhere that no one even realizes they had. Moo

I wonder if they use Wi-Fi to make cell phone calls? I do because I’m sitting in an area with little to no connectivity. Wi-Fi works perfectly.

In general, law-enforcement said they had to bring in extra equipment in order to use their cell phones and other types of communication.

I think most carriers now offer Wifi calling, don't they? LE would need dedicated cell coverage so that makes sense that they would bring in something to improve that capability but I don't know what that is that they would be using.

Yes, that is one of only a handful of cases where a child seemingly got lost in the woods and was never found. I researched this a year or so ago on the Deorr Kunz Jr. case. I wanted to see how likely it was that a child would wander off and never be found.

So rare.

When a child goes missing and is believed to be in a specific, albeit difficult to search area, resources are thrown at the case in an intense and prolonged way. No one ever wants to leave a chld in the woods without bending over backwards to find them. So, if they really are there, they find them, alive or deceased.

I found less than five, and they all, including Dennis Martin, had other theories about what happened.

IMO Summer did not wander off and get lost in the woods. If so, she would be found. If she's in the woods, it's because someone hid her there, JMO

This is unrelated but to me it sort of parallels the search that’s taking place, if indeed Summer did wander even a little into the forest. About 50 years ago a six-year-old boy went missing in the great Smoky Mountain national Park. He was with other kids and then hid behind some sort of structure, not far from his family and the other children. No one ever saw him again.

There are other similar instances and they point out that taking a few steps into heavily forested area can be devastating.

Dennis Martin Disappearance in Smokies Remains Largest Scale Search

Strictly my own experience as a mom, but we always have old shoes in the garage/basement/donate box. They come in handy for messy projects, bad weather, sometimes they’re just waiting for the next child to grow in to or for me to go through and trash. No way could I tell you what they look like or exactly where they are, nor would I even think of them if asked if any of my kids shoes are missing. Jmo but I bet most families are the same. Summer may not have had on her primary shoes that fit properly and that may have been found in the house, but I would not be surprised at all to learn she could’ve grabbed an old pair from somewhere that no one even realizes they had. Moo

Summer had been outside with mom, either she was wearing shoes or she wasn't. If she was playing outside without them to begin with, I have a hard time believing she put them on 2 mins later to play inside with toys.

IF ("IF" because I don't think we definitely know this to be true) Summer did not have on shoes, I don't believe she would have wandered as far away as searchers have been looking. I think she would have been found rather quickly if she was barefoot and wandered off from home, unless she somehow injured herself in a fall and was unconscious, for example, and unable to respond to searchers. The woods are thick with growth this time of year as well as fallen trees, broken branches, leaves, etc. and Summer is small so it could be difficult to spot her on the ground. All things are possible, but I think Summer wandering far while barefoot in the woods is unlikely.

Likewise, an abduction by a stranger, seems equally unlikely. It's doubtful that there would be many strangers on Ben Hill Rd. (a dead-end), IMO, especially one looking for a child to abduct. While a scenario that sex traffickers took Summer would suggest that she is still alive, I don't believe that sex traffickers are hanging around on Ben Hill Rd. looking for victims. Again, anything is possible, but a stranger abduction is improbable, IMO.

The parents are victims unless we are told otherwise so I have no thoughts about any involvement on their part.

So, what could have happened if I exclude wandering off into the woods barefoot, stranger abduction, and a scenario with the parents? Four things stand out to me.

- There’s an Amber Alert for Summer
- LE is searching the acreage in a wide range around the family’s residence
- The residence sits back off the road and is located on 11 acres of land in a sparsely populated area
- A Hawkins County deputy responded on 14 Oct 2020 to the Wells' residence for a report of domestic assault. The deputy said that CW explained that DW "came home drunk and accused her of having an affair." The police report indicated that CW said DW "came home drunk and saw a man in the house" and DW "started to argue with the man and had a “struggle” with Bly" (see links below).

The first two tell me that LE thinks that Summer is in imminent danger and that they think she is still in the area of the residence. The third tells me that not just anyone would be familiar with the Wells' home and who resides there. The fourth tells me that there was a domestic problem at the home several months ago that involved an unnamed male being in the residence and DW was upset about him.

So what happened to Summer? I think it's possible that she was taken by someone with whom she was familiar. Was it the unnamed male? I don't know, of course, but I think it's a possibility especially if he is someone who lives not too far from the Wells' home. A local who lives in the general area would not be out of place to any neighbors who might have seen him. He would belong there. If he had a car, it also would be recognized as belonging in the vicinity. If he was on foot, I doubt anyone would think much about that either. If he lived nearby, he could be very familiar with the woods surrounding the Wells' house. If someone familiar to the family and to the area took Summer, it's probable that the dogs would not bark, Summer would go willingly, and he could walk through the woods to his home or another familiar place where he could keep her or just hide her. He could carry Summer if she didn't have on shoes. If she wandered down to the road, she might well get into a car with a family friend who offered to take her to get ice cream, for example. There's no next door neighbor to see it happen. There's no doorbell cams around. There's no surveillance cameras. If there was a deer camera, he could very well be aware of its location. It's possible she was taken by this man. Is it probable? I don't know without more information.

Why would he do this? I don't know, of course. There's the nefarious reasons we don't like to think about. Other than that, revenge? Maybe to scare CW/DW for a short time, but when LE arrived on the scene, he panicked and didn't take her back?

I want Summer to be alive and dancing in the rain, again. In this scenario, it's possible that she's stashed somewhere and is still alive. Otherwise, I believe she's no longer with us.

“Afraid for my children,” Summer Wells’ mother states in dismissed order of protection against child’s father

Mother of missing 5-year-old Summer Wells filed protective order against husband last year | WFLA

+

This is interesting. IMO it goes to my point that officials do not stop searching for a child as quickly as they might for an adult. I looked up Lucas' case and the ground search was suspended after five days.

That's been my fear the entire time. Lucas Vance, a grown man, disappeared in terrain much like this in Unicoi County, Tennessee, not very far from Hawkins. A searcher hired by the family eventually found him and they noted they had searched on both sides of him. I don't know that he had a head injury, I don't know what the ruling was on his death as I don't think that was covered on his threads here.

Last edited:
To me, the idea that she was abducted then taken into the woods is even more unlikely than abducted by a lurking perv with a vehicle nearby.

I mean, is it possible some local creep has seen her and chose to snatch her and take her away? Sure, it's possible. I think of little 7 yr. old Gabbi Doolin, snatched at her brother's football game and taken into the woods. Creepy things like that do happen, but they're not at all common.

I haven't considered a planned disappearance only because so far, there's been nothing mentioned by LE to indicate that direction.

More common than anything, is an accident covered up, or a lost temper or every day abuse leading to a fatality (then covered up).

jmo
Yes, I was grasping at straws, what else would one do when little sense can be made of a disappearance. I agree with your last sentence as the most likely scenario.

I am amazed over and over again, by the frequency of cases where kids are reported missing by parents who are responsible.

Watch now: Summer Wells' father talks about his criminal past, convicted sex offender son

[...]

Wells also acknowledged Tuesday that his 34-year-old son [DWW] is a convicted sex offender, having pleaded guilty in Arkansas in 2007 to sexual indecency with a child.

That oldest son was in Utah at the time of Summer's disappearance, Wells said. [...]

[...]

[DW] told the Times News that prior to the October arrest he was working in Park City, Utah, and his plan at the time was to sell his home in Hawkins County and move there where he could make more money.

[...]

When asked if he would be willing to discuss his criminal past in Utah Wells declined.

“I really don't want to talk about all that stuff,” he said. “Utah is a whole different ballgame than Tennessee. That's the Mormon state. I call it the moron state. That's just how I feel.”

The Times News has reached out to the Utah Department of Corrections but hadn't received a reply as of Tuesday evening.

KTN: What were your convictions for?

[DW]: “I've had several charges over the years. I used to have... I don't know if I should elaborate on any of that. It's nothing really good. I wasn't really a Christian when I was younger. I found God in prison. I started studying the Bible Intently because I wanted to change. That's when I got to know God and tried hard to be a Christian. Of course I've backslid multiple times, but I'll never let it happen again.”

(more at link)

Everyone who has never disobeyed their parents, raise your hand.
I am sitting on mine.

Words don't describe how skeptical I feel about the idea that you could teach most children to play on your open property but never leave it and that they would always listen.

That's why until now I have maintained she probably got lost in the woods.

But with the update today regarding past incidents, I have some new ideas. One being perhaps the timeline is way off and no one can be cleared. Two being perhaps the family knows or suspects who took her but feel they can't admit it.
To me, those are unlikely, though.
Just possibilities and hopefully they are false.

Last edited:
<modsnip-quoted post removed>

Watch now: Summer Wells' father believes she may have been taken by human traffickers

“There’s some pretty negative stuff online. My wife can’t help but be on there because she’s looking for clues. She can’t help it. This negativity is tearing her apart. That’s why she doesn’t want to do any interviews, because she’s afraid they’ll lash out at her even more. They’re calling her the Boswell-something, but I can’t remember what it was. Just all kinds of negative stuff.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member