TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

The Shelby County District Attorney’s Office has confirmed that dozens of criminal cases worked by the five former Memphis police officers charged with Tyre Nichols’ murder are now dropped.

The DA’s office began reviewing the officers’ active cases following their indictments. In total, about 100 cases were reviewed.

According to the DA’s office, about 10 of those cases had charges lowered; three or four were referred to the U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Tennessee because of allegations of excessive force; and between 30 and 40 of those cases were dropped.

https://tinyurl.com/2xkblxhl

"We do want to try the defendants together," Hagerman said. "We're not going to litigate the motion to sever here in the public, but we're going to file our response to their motions. We're going to make it clear that, as a matter of law, we believe that they should be tried together."

The response from the district attorney's office is due within the next ten days, and the motions are set to be argued on Sept. 15.

In furtherance of the conspiracy to witness tamper (Count III), Demetrius Haley and Desmond Mills took off body cameras while they all talked, prosecutors allege. “I thought when he wasn’t going to fall, we about to kill this man,” one of them said, according to the indictment.

Officers indictment:​

Five Memphis police officers involved in the deadly police beating of Tyre Nichols have been indicted by a federal grand jury, according to court filings.

The five officers – Tadarrius Bean, Demetrius Haley, Emmitt Martin III, Desmond Mills Jr. and Justin Smith – are facing several charges, including deprivation of rights.

Tyre Nichols, a 29-year-old Black man, was violently beaten by Memphis police officers in January and died in the hospital from his injuries. Nichols was repeatedly punched and kicked by the five Memphis Police Department officers after the officers conducted a traffic stop and brief foot chase.

The five officers are also facing state charges in Tennessee related to Nichols’ death – which they have pleaded not guilty to – and a federal civil lawsuit.

Justice Department and FBI officials will hold a news conference Tuesday afternoon to announce the federal charges against five former Memphis officers, according to a law enforcement source familiar with the matter.

Last edited:
Blake Ballin, an attorney representing Mills on the state criminal charges, said the federal indictment "is not unexpected" and Mills will defend himself against the federal charges as he is in state court. There was no immediate response from attorneys for other defendants in the case.

The Justice Department announced an investigation in July into how Memphis Police Department officers use force and conduct arrests, one of several "patterns and practices" investigations it has undertaken in other U.S. cities.

The officers were part of a crime-suppression team known as Scorpion. They punched Nichols, kicked him and slugged him with a baton as he yelled for his mother, authorities and video showed. Authorities disbanded the Scorpion unit after Nichols’ death, though members of the unit have been moved to other teams.

The Memphis City Council subsequentloy passed an ordinance that outlawed so-called pretextual traffic stops, which include minor violations such as a broken tail light. But some activists have complained that the ordinance has not been consistently enforced.

Desmond Mills Jr is one of five cops facing a series of charges, including second-degree murder aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression as well as four federal counts.

While Mills Jr pleaded not guilty to the federal offenses in September, his attorney says his client intends to change his plea tomorrow in court.

I never hear anything about this case in the news anymore, the news was giving constant updates with similar cases like George Floyd, Micheal Brown, Freddie Gray, Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile... I wonder why they don't for this murder as they did for these others?

Desmond Mills Jr is one of five cops facing a series of charges, including second-degree murder aggravated assault, aggravated kidnapping, official misconduct and official oppression as well as four federal counts.

While Mills Jr pleaded not guilty to the federal offenses in September, his attorney says his client intends to change his plea tomorrow in court.

I wonder if he is going to testify against the others . I wonder how they're able to look at and interact with their families. Praying Tyree gets full justice.

In court, the parties shared there was a hiccup with one piece of video evidence, but all other discoveries had been shared, allowing the Shelby County judge presiding over this case to end the discovery phase.
Tyre Nichols, 29, died after a brutal beating by five Memphis police officers during a traffic...

I never hear anything about this case in the news anymore, the news was giving constant updates with similar cases like George Floyd, Micheal Brown, Freddie Gray, Breonna Taylor, Philando Castile... I wonder why they don't for this murder as they did for these others?

This could be a very loaded case. Of the cases you have mentioned, some can be blamed on “a few bad apples”. Even in Floyd’s case, it is obvious that the outcome might have been very different, were it not for Chauvin. JMO - I see a great difference between the initial phase of the arrest (by Kueng and Lane, two rookie officers) and the later phase when Chauvin appears and everything escalates to the fatal end.

Nichols’ case, potentially, highlights two big issues: 1) how unsafe poor neighborhoods are and 2) how poorly policing is set up in these neighborhoods, and it is a systemic problem. Aside from beating to death an absolutely innocent civilian, what is shocking is that, obviously, the people living around were afraid of the Scorpios, the other policemen were afraid of them, and the firemen and EMTs were afraid of them, too. And, if there was a conspiracy to kill TN (not sure, but switching off cameras indicates some preplanning), these five knew they’d get away with it. And they would have, were it not for the street camera.

Freddie Grey’s case shows some similarity, but only to a certain degree.

P. S. This article says the same, but better. Also, interesting fact about Scorpions being involved in vehicle seizures, a lucrative business.

Last edited:
This could be a very loaded case. Of the cases you have mentioned, some can be blamed on “a few bad apples”. Even in Floyd’s case, it is obvious that the outcome might have been very different, were it not for Chauvin. JMO - I see a great difference between the initial phase of the arrest (by Kueng and Lane, two rookie officers) and the later phase when Chauvin appears and everything escalates to the fatal end.

Nichols’ case, potentially, highlights two big issues: 1) how unsafe poor neighborhoods are and 2) how poorly policing is set up in these neighborhoods, and it is a systemic problem. Aside from beating to death an absolutely innocent civilian, what is shocking is that, obviously, the people living around were afraid of the Scorpios, the other policemen were afraid of them, and the firemen and EMTs were afraid of them, too. And, if there was a conspiracy to kill TN (not sure, but switching off cameras indicates some preplanning), these five knew they’d get away with it. And they would have, were it not for the street camera.

Freddie Grey’s case shows some similarity, but only to a certain degree.

P. S. This article says the same, but better. Also, interesting fact about Scorpions being involved in vehicle seizures, a lucrative business.

Now that note about "vehicle seizures" is very interesting. I have heard of people who do traffic tickets being in league with tow truck operators, and text them when they see a car that is behind on tickets. The car gets towed, and there are crazy, exorbitant fees to get the car from the tow yard. Pay it or it continues to escalate every day.

Terrible.

It shows how bad law enforcement officers can literally rule over people. Have almost complete control, and there is no "check and balance".

What if Tyre had not died, and just been scuffed up a bit? If he had complained, he would have been targeted for ongoing harassment from this group. It makes me wonder if they had a previous encounter with him...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back