TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

I haven't read the whole thread yet. I watched the videos when they were released. I can't wrap my head around the behavior of the cops during the initial stop. Nothing TN did warranted any of the violence leashed on him. His demeanor and voice initially remained conversational. It was like watching a pack of wolves descending on an injured animal.

They were so unorganized and livid. What made them so livid? The rage increased when they were hit with their own pepper spray because they were so disorganized. They were nothing more than a group of men who were incapable of controlling their anger because someone didn't comply.

That word: comply. It conjures up so many situations in the past. "If he'd only listened to the officer." "All they asked him to do was comply." How many times have we heard that phrase. It is a precursor to a death penalty.

Cops have been leaving their jobs in droves in the last few years. A lot was attrition, some was turnover contagion and some was Covid. If you go on the federal roster of deaths of LE (ODMP.org), most of them died of Covid. For instance, in 2020, 436 officer died, 281 from Covid. In 2021, 668 died, 474 died of Covid. Then came George Floyd, demonstrations and riots. Most cities are operating under a shortfall. So what did Memphis do? They sent out a call for recruits. The criteria for screening subjects became lax. By 2022 they were offering a $15K signing bonus, the physical fitness test became an assessment not a timed test (evidence of that during the chase). No real community service hours and a consideration for those with a criminal record.

That's bad enough, but how did this laxness bleed into the Memphis FD and the EMT's? Why did they just stand around for ten minutes doing absolutely nothing while Tyre lay on the ground in obvious distress. They never looked at him, touched him. They stood around with the cops discussing how they all got to be there, well except the cop limping around because he probably broke some toes after kicking TN in the head.

So not only is it right and just that those five officers have been charged with a slew of charges, including second degree murder, but any of the other "public servants' who arrived on the scene should be charged with willful negligence causing death, not performing their duties as assigned and whatever else should be laid. And why only five cops? I counted at least 8 milling around during that damning silent movie from the pole camera that recorded every sordid, hateful things all involved did and didn't do to Tyre Nichols. Just a shameful, shameful abuse of power and an egregious display of apathy by the FD and EMTs.

I agree with every word you've said. I think your post very neatly summarizes my own thoughts right now.

"Just a shameful, shameful abuse of power and an egregious display of apathy by the FD and EMTs."
Bears repeating at least once.

I don't understand why paramedics did not begin immediate treatment upon arrival at scene. Did they not see that TN was severely injured? Why didn't they check vitals and begin treatment? They seemed to have been just standing around chatting with the cops. I admit viewing the videos was difficult for me, but did I miss the part where TN was treated by EMTs and placed in ambulance?

Absolutely. There is much more to this. The whole thing seems personal to me.

Personal in the manner of these officers had prior interaction with TN or because it became personal to them because they think he disrespected their commands?

Seriously,
after Derek Ch.'s trial, one would think that some cops realize where violence might lead (especially in times when one can be recorded almost everywhere).

But it seems, stupidity is incurable, and the case of self pepper spray is just another level of it.

JMO

That actually might be part of the problem.
After the murder, and the protests, and many events in different states, (i witnessed what happened here in Seattle), there might have been a difficult situation for LE. Then cops with good reputation and history had the option not to choose neighborhoods with high crime level for patrol. In fact, they could simply move to states with better situation and attitude to them. Some simply left. JMO.

Now, why SCORPIONS, thought I? Could it be because police flat out refused to work in dangerous neighborhoods of Memphis, TN?

So they made a group where the units are huge - 10 men. Big, strong guys. And perhaps these men by nature are not cowards, but sometimes being courageous comes with other traits, not all of them good?

They were supposed to deal with violent crime, instead they started terrorizing these neighborhoods, and choosing nonviolent people.

Eradicating violent crime is an economic problem, it can’t be done with SCORPIONS. I am thinking of who will work in these neighborhoods of Memphis, TN, today?

Not in any way understanding what happened, but trying to imagine the situation with LE we are having now.

I have not been reading here, but wanted to post to reccommend that if you haven't watched the videos, to NOT watch.

I have watched similar and thought I could handle it, but I had a horrible nightmare about physical torture. This is not typical for me.
I encourage you not to watch. :(

Last edited:
That actually might be part of the problem.
After the murder, and the protests, and many events in different states, (i witnessed what happened here in Seattle), there might have been a difficult situation for LE. Then cops with good reputation and history had the option not to choose neighborhoods with high crime level for patrol. In fact, they could simply move to states with better situation and attitude to them. Some simply left. JMO.

Now, why SCORPIONS, thought I? Could it be because police flat out refused to work in dangerous neighborhoods of Memphis, TN?

So they made a group where the units are huge - 10 men. Big, strong guys. And perhaps these men by nature are not cowards, but sometimes being courageous comes with other traits, not all of them good?

They were supposed to deal with violent crime, instead they started terrorizing these neighborhoods, and choosing nonviolent people.

Eradicating violent crime is an economic problem, it can’t be done with SCORPIONS. I am thinking of who will work in these neighborhoods of Memphis, TN, today?

Not in any way understanding what happened, but trying to imagine the situation with LE we are having now.
I remember watching the arrest of Highland Park shooter.
What professionalism!
And even a single hair on the perp's head was not damaged during this risky action.

He was a maniacal shooter, and TN a calm citizen.

JMO

Last edited:
This summer I wanted to go to Memphis (Elvis and happy thoughts) on vacation and now this left me with terrible thoughts. I wouldn’t want to go now trial and all. JMOO
I’ve been afraid of Memphis for a while. I used to live in Arkansas and had to travel back last fall when my mother died. You have to drive through Memphis to get there and when we were trying to find a good place to stop for the night we knew we would have to stop before we got to Memphis or push past it but nothing in Arkansas past Memphis is worth going to either. We ended up spending the night in Mississippi which wasn’t fantastic either but safer than being in an unfamiliar neighborhood in Memphis. It’s sad, I used to know where the “ good” part of Memphis was as I lived fairly close all my life and I don’t know if there is a good part anymore. Either way, it isn’t a chance I’m willing to make.

I agree, their backgrounds need to be checked very thoroughly. No doubt some or all have experience with physical violence. This is so abnormal it makes me wonder how they were able to maintain their job responsibilities. How can 5 people from the same jurisdiction have such extreme characteristics of rage and violence?! How can they stand by and let a person die?? That’s a different level of evil.

I remember watching the arrest of Highland Park shooter.
What professionalism!
And even a single hair on the perp's head was not damaged during this risky action.

He was a maniacal shooter, and TN a calm citizen.

JMO

I don’t know who arrested him, the police or FBI groups. However, I firmly believe, and I have been watching most cases since 2010, that half of incidents are due to the policemen being scared. You understand, “violent” crime is “armed” crime. The police needs to prevent the crime but also return home alive. This creates a very bad situation to start with.
Another half is poor training (this is what needs to change!) and incredible burnout that no one seems to factor in.

Another half is poor training (this is what needs to change!) and incredible burnout that no one seems to factor in.
What certainly needs to change is starting to slim down these guys.
They seem to have too much "flesh" on them and even running is a problem.

Except other changes, of course.

Well, as for "burnout" - weren't they employed just a few years ago?

JMO

JMO
As well as deep psychological evaluations mandatory every month by outside sources. Would rather have a Police officer who is plump then one who is mentally at their wit's end. They need to stop cutting corners to fill spots in a dwindling Police force.

As well as deep psychological evaluations mandatory every month by outside sources. Would rather have a Police officer who is plump then one who is mentally at their wit's end. They need to stop cutting corners to fill spots in a dwindling Police force.
Of course.

Mentally and physically FIT and adequately trained and educated.

Otherwise, such tragedies will continue.

RIP to the victim and condolences to family :(

JMO

By “burnout” I imply the whole complex of problems that people might exhibit. Demetrius Haley violently beating an inmate was the “first warning”, but no one took it into account.

About physically fit, former athletes get out of shape rapidly. However, all five are tall men, and tall men weigh more. Bones, muscles.

RIP to the victim. Tyre moved from California, which is a very different state…

Last edited:
Cerelyn 'CJ' Davis was kicked out of the Atlanta Police Department in 2008 for her role in the botched investigation of sergeant Tonya Crane's husband Terrill Marion Crane - who later turned out to be guilty.

Two detectives on the case accused Davis - who was deputy chief at the time - of urging them not to dig into the claims against Crane after the unit received pictures of him with underage middle school girls.

Before his January 2023 arrest in the death of Tyre Nichols, Demetrius Haley, 30, was accused of a brutal assault on a prison inmate in 2015

Before his January 2023 arrest in the death of Tyre Nichols, Demetrius Haley, 30, was accused of a brutal assault on a prison inmate in 2015.

A lawyer for one of the five former Memphis cops charged in the fatal beating of Tyre Nichols, has indicated his client may not have been able “to see” — because the officers accidentally pepper-sprayed themselves during the vicious beat down.
View attachment 398537
“Some of the questions that remain will require a focus on Desmond Mills Jr’s individual actions; on what Desmond knew and what he was able to see when he arrived late to the scene; on what Desmond knew and what he was able to see after he was pepper-sprayed; and on whether Desmond’s actions crossed the lines that were crossed by other officers during this incident,” lawyer Blake Ballin said in a statement Saturday.
I’m sorry, but IMO, this headline about CJ Davis <modsnip> only distracts from what actually matters right now which is what happened to Tyre. In the article you attached, it clearly states that she appealed the decision with Atlanta’s Civil Service Board, and she was reinstated. When she was reinstated, she was not reinstated to the position she had been demoted to, but to her original position. The Civil Service Board would take this issue extremely seriously and wouldn’t have re-instated her if there was any doubt. I looked into this further and I am attaching an article from Memphis News Channel 3 WREG here, a link to court records are in that article, but I will also post those court records here (admins, the source link for those records below is in the article itself, as well).

As you will see from the Memphis News 3 Article dating back to BEFORE she was made Chief of Police, Mayor Strickland of Memphis was aware of what had happened in ATL, had already looked into it, and made the statement, “That was a bogus charge”.

The 2008 AJC article further details a statement from Chief Davis at the time: “I refuse to take the blame for something I had nothing to do with. I decided to fight the case, because I knew if I fought the case, the truth would come out,”

It is shameful to me that MSM is throwing this out there in the middle of all of the pain and sadness so many people are feeling right now, and deliberately not putting forth the full story, details, relevant info, etc., effectively, just getting everyone upset and warping the narrative. <modsnip>

IN SUMMARY: I‘ve posted two articles, and a link to official records. The allegations against her were proven to be UNTRUE upon appeal, and she was reinstated without demotion. I posted the original documents from the Atlanta Board of Civil Service appeals decision, an article published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 2008 after it was found that she was to be reinstated, as well as a quote from the mayor of Memphis, prior to hiring her two years ago stating that he was aware and that what had happened to her, was bogus. IMO, MSM is currently reporting half truths and not the entire story. Also IMO, it is irresponsible journalism, and does no one any good. Respectfully, if anyone is really seeking the truth on the matter, look for the original records about the outcome of the case against her that provide actual evidence and documentation, and circumstances of the FULL story, and omit articles posted in the last couple of days with three sentences. MOO.

Article from Memphis News Channel 3 WREG posted 2 years ago: Atlanta files show investigators detected ‘deception’ in Davis’s testimony

Link (contained within the article above) to official documents from the Atlanta Board of Civil Services appellate decision: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20797207/cerelyn-davis-atlanta-file-2-part-1_redacted.pdf

Another article, preserved by LexisNexis and originally posted in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 2008 at the time she was reinstated (article hosted by Police1 by LexiPol):

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry, but IMO, this headline about CJ Davis <modsnip> only distracts from what actually matters right now which is what happened to Tyre. In the article you attached, it clearly states that she appealed the decision with Atlanta’s Civil Service Board, and she was reinstated. When she was reinstated, she was not reinstated to the position she had been demoted to, but to her original position. The Civil Service Board would take this issue extremely seriously and wouldn’t have re-instated her if there was any doubt. I looked into this further and I am attaching an article from Memphis News Channel 3 WREG here, a link to court records are in that article, but I will also post those court records here (admins, the source link for those records below is in the article itself, as well).

As you will see from the Memphis News 3 Article dating back to BEFORE she was made Chief of Police, Mayor Strickland of Memphis was aware of what had happened in ATL, had already looked into it, and made the statement, “That was a bogus charge”.

The 2008 AJC article further details a statement from Chief Davis at the time: “I refuse to take the blame for something I had nothing to do with. I decided to fight the case, because I knew if I fought the case, the truth would come out,”

It is shameful to me that MSM is throwing this out there in the middle of all of the pain and sadness so many people are feeling right now, and deliberately not putting forth the full story, details, relevant info, etc., effectively, just getting everyone upset and warping the narrative. <modsnip>

IN SUMMARY: I‘ve posted two articles, and a link to official records. The allegations against her were proven to be UNTRUE upon appeal, and she was reinstated without demotion. I posted the original documents from the Atlanta Board of Civil Service appeals decision, an article published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 2008 after it was found that she was to be reinstated, as well as a quote from the mayor of Memphis, prior to hiring her two years ago stating that he was aware and that what had happened to her, was bogus. IMO, MSM is currently reporting half truths and not the entire story. Also IMO, it is irresponsible journalism, and does no one any good. Respectfully, if anyone is really seeking the truth on the matter, look for the original records about the outcome of the case against her that provide actual evidence and documentation, and circumstances of the FULL story, and omit articles posted in the last couple of days with three sentences. MOO.

Article from Memphis News Channel 3 WREG posted 2 years ago: Atlanta files show investigators detected ‘deception’ in Davis’s testimony

Link (contained within the article above) to official documents from the Atlanta Board of Civil Services appellate decision: https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/20797207/cerelyn-davis-atlanta-file-2-part-1_redacted.pdf

Another article, preserved by LexisNexis and originally posted in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in 2008 at the time she was reinstated (article hosted by Police1 by LexiPol):
Unfortunately, it is true about police chief Davis. There are articles from years ago about this.

Unfortunately, it is true about police chief Davis. There are articles from years ago about this.

Respectfully, I posted two articles, and linked to court documents. It was proven to be UNTRUE upon appeal, and she was reinstated without demotion. The article you posted is from two days ago, <modsnip> I posted the original documents from the Atlanta Board of Civil Service appeals decision, an article published in the Atlanta Journal Constitution in 2008 after it was found that she was to be reinstated, as well as a quote from Memphis News Channel 3 WREG by the mayor of Memphis, before hiring her two years ago stating that he had already dived into it and that what had happened to her, was bogus (see above post with link to article for the exact quote). IMO, not reporting the entire story, and reporting a half truth, only upsets people more, especially in a time like this. It’s irresponsible journalism as far as I’m concerned. MOO.

By “burnout” I imply the whole complex of problems that people might exhibit. Demetrius Haley violently beating an inmate was the “first warning”, but no one took it into account.
Tell you what...

If one cannot distinguish between thugs and Police officers, then it means situation is in "absolute shambles".

I really don't know what warnings and what should have been taken into account - the only thing I know is that these guys should have seen the Police station from the perspective of a cell - and never as employees.
Because, it surely was not their first "accomplishment".

Wearing a badge and protecting citizens is a privilige and not means of "power trips" for twisted individuals.

I hope "lessons will be learnt" for the sake of American public.

This case really disturbed me, and I don't even live in the US, but far away, on another continent.

I really thought that after Derek Ch.'s scandal nothing like this would happen.

But, unfortunately, I was wrong :(

JMO

They were nothing more than a group of men who were incapable of controlling their anger because someone didn't comply.

That word: comply. It conjures up so many situations in the past. "If he'd only listened to the officer." "All they asked him to do was comply." How many times have we heard that phrase. It is a precursor to a death penalty.

Quoting this part of your post because I agree 100%.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back