TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

<modsnip> I have said this a few times already but I feel like I need to see it again <modsnip> There is a lot of misunderstanding about the officers who were charged with Tyre’s death, the officers who BEAT him, and were on scene, and their association with the SCORPION unit… and I blame MSM entirely for the confiscation.

Only TWO of the FIVE officers who killed Tyre were members of SCORPION - “Desmond Mills Jr. and Emmitt Martin III, two of the officers charged in Nichols' death, were members of SCORPION.” (see link to article below).

<modsnip> There were more than 10 officers on scene, I don’t even think we have an official count of how many people were actually there at this point, we definitely don’t have the full story yet… but my point is, if five cops beat someone to death, and three of those five officers have nothing to do with the SCORPION Unit, there is no way that we can simply blame it on SCORPION. IMO, I am much more inclined to agree with a lot of you who have been posting on here about how there seems to be some sort of systemic aggression and/or affinity for asserting dominance and violence in some pockets of the MPD as a whole for unknown reasons. Does that mean that the SCORPION unit had nothing to do with this? Of course not. The fact is that two of the officers who killed Tyre were members, and every facet of these officers’ history, and respective units needs to be thoroughly investigated. Beyond that, just as Tyre’s family’s attorneys have stated, this tragedy has forever tainted the name of the SCORPION Unit, regardless of any good it had ever accomplished in the past, and yes, it should be dismantled as a result. And any noble officers who were a part of that unit, who perhaps did do good work, IMO, would support that and would not want their good names associated with it.

Anyway, again I’m not trying to be nitpicky but I just wanted to point out that the “problem” appears to be quite a bit larger and much more systemic in ways, than just some special unit that got high on a power trip and went rogue. If that were the case, then what’s everybody else’s excuse who either took part in the beating themselves, or who stood idly by letting it happen?

I’m certainty no expert, and I don’t know how one goes about fixing this kind of mentality in their PD, but I don’t think it’s as simple as just disbanding a unit that only a minority of the attackers/bystanders were part of, and placing all the blame squarely there.

Early reports are often just wrong, even from approved sources. I have found reported facts often change as the investigation progresses. I usually just wait until official pressers clear up things. I'm still waiting to find out just how many cops were standing around doing nothing and what really went on with the EMT's and ambulance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of gobsmacked by that policing number. Based on the population of Memphis that's one cop for every 294 people. I know they have one of the highest crime rates in the country but what causes it? Lack of education? Low income jobs that don't have any security? Poverty and isolation? Whatever it is, I think the Scorpion team was bound to fail because its mission statement didn't reflect the process the officers used. When every citizen is a potential suspect in the eyes of LE in this unit it was a recipe for disaster, imo.
And yes, you’re right, that’s a pretty high police/citizen ratio… and yes, Memphis does have one of the highest crime rates in the country, but I am honestly not really sure what causes it. I’ve wondered for a very long time. I am originally from Tennessee, but I am from Nashville. When I was younger, Memphis was REALLY bad… it was scary, you just didn’t go there. Then it got a lot better for many years, during which time I got to discover how awesome it is. So much rich history there… my friends and I would go for weekend trips in my 20s, and the city really did have a great vibe at that time. But since then, the crime has gone up again, and like you, I really don’t understand why. Memphis really is a very special place and I really wish they could figure out this crime thing. It seems like that was the intention, but then things went way overboard. Like, they overcorrected in certain respects, and it’s made things worse… and then this happened.

Last edited:
Early reports are often just wrong, even from approved sources. I have found reported facts often change as the investigation progresses. I usually just wait until official pressers clear up things. I'm still waiting to find out just how many cops were standing around doing nothing and what really went on with the EMT's and ambulance.
Yeah, that’s the part I’m really wanting to get some major clarification on, as well… preliminary reports seem to indicate we may learn more on Tues.

I will be honest, the main takeaway from that article for me was someone really really wanted to call their unit SCORPION - Street Crimes Operation to Restore Peace in Our Neighborhoods - that is the mother of tortured acronyms.

The unit makes a convenient scapegoat and considering their remit and arrest rate, I'd wager they are more likely than most to have racked up the violent arrests and complaints. Id be interested to find out if the two SCORPION officers were the two who fist pulled him over, thus setting the hyper aggressive tone of the encounter that IMO was part of the reason it escalated so far.

As for fire/EMT/ late arriving officers:

I think they got lulled into not thinking things were serious by how casual the original five were behaving. The police get there as backup to a scuffle and the altercation is already over. Fire/EMTs got a casual call to come check over a guy who is a bit beat up.

The five of them are relaxed and unbothered. Tyre is cuffed, propped up by the car (out of line of sight for most of them) and is moving, groaning etc. He looks like he got the worst of a roll-around but he isn't bleeding out and his face hasn't had time to swell up etc. They say he was already acting confused, combative, probably on something... They've all seen countless junkies in a similar state, incoherent, scuffed up, going from violent to nodding when the adrenaline drops/ comedown hits etc.

Nobody is going there thinking these five officers beat a man most of the ways to death. Even if the police are known for violent arrests, it won't be to that extent. Besides none of the five are acting worried about his level of injury, (probably because they also haven't a clue he is fatally injured.) They're not agitated, tense, covering what happened etc... Humans are pack animals, we take out cues from things like that on a deep unconscious level.

So EMTs etc they absorb that relaxed atmosphere, assume he's roughed up and possibly drunk/high. Needs checking out but nothing immediately life threatening. Unfortunately that means they take their time hearing the circumstances, getting distracted by the chatter etc and don't go right over (to do their job instead of taking the word of cops with f--k all medical training) or when they do don't clock something is badly wrong right at first.

Basically, I'm going to guess it was less callous indifference about saving his life and more human psychology misleading them about the seriousness of the scene. Still negligence on their part of course, for not doing their jobs and checking him over themselves immediately.

Last edited:
I'm kind of gobsmacked by that policing number. Based on the population of Memphis that's one cop for every 294 people. I know they have one of the highest crime rates in the country but what causes it? Lack of education? Low income jobs that don't have any security? Poverty and isolation? Whatever it is, I think the Scorpion team was bound to fail because its mission statement didn't reflect the process the officers used. When every citizen is a potential suspect in the eyes of LE in this unit it was a recipe for disaster, imo.
I think that's intentional. This country has had 200 years of lawmakers who have had to justify their jobs by making laws.

Ergo, now almost every citizen has broken some law somewhere and it can be held against them if they make the wrong radar.

I think LE knows that all too well, and it makes the thin blue line between them and the citizens of their jurisdictions bold.

I read that four of the five <modsnip: Name calling is not allowed> are out on bond, I wonder why they are allowed to bond? I dont know much about this subject, but to me, the fact that they beat a man to death, with no remorse, shouldn't they have been kept in jail or have a bond so high they could not pay it-- so these killers are home with their families- isn't that nice?

I read that four of the five <modsnip: Name calling is not allowed> are out on bond, I wonder why they are allowed to bond? I dont know much about this subject, but to me, the fact that they beat a man to death, with no remorse, shouldn't they have been kept in jail or have a bond so high they could not pay it-- so these killers are home with their families- isn't that nice?
I hear you on that, believe me, I do, but Tyre’s family made an excellent point in addressing exactly this at their press conference. They said the last thing they want is for these officers to be treated any differently than anyone else under the law… Meaning, if a bunch of white cops had beaten up and murdered their son, the law is the law and they would be eligible for bond based on the laws in Tennessee with regard to the charges… so, while my own personal instinct if I’m being honest, is to want them to be held without bond simply because of their atrocious acts (I couldn’t give a hoot about their race), it is far more important, for society as a whole, to set the example of making sure everyone is treated equally under the law. The Nichols family is amazing to me. They see the big picture in spite of suffering what I can only fathom must be unimaginable pain, and they want to set the right example. They don’t want there to be any room whatsoever for any claim of unfair treatment of these officers due to their race. They want them treated with equal justice under the law, prosecuted equally under the law, and unfortunately, that means accepting that given these charges allow for bail in Tennessee, if they apply the same concept of being treated equally under the law, then these animals are entitled to bail. You should go and watch the press conference that the family gave on Friday afternoon with their attorneys prior to the video being released if you have some time. It was incredibly profound.

I hear you on that, believe me, I do, but Tyre’s family made an excellent point in addressing exactly this at their press conference. They said the last thing they want is for these officers to be treated any differently than anyone else under the law… Meaning, if a bunch of white cops had beaten up and murdered their son, the law is the law and they would be eligible for bond based on the laws in Tennessee with regard to the charges… so, while my own personal instinct if I’m being honest, is to want them to be held without bond simply because of their atrocious acts (I couldn’t give a hoot about their race), it is far more important, for society as a whole, to set the example of making sure everyone is treated equally under the law. The Nichols family is amazing to me. They see the big picture in spite of suffering I can, only believe must be unimaginable pain, and they want to set the right example. They don’t want there to be any room whatsoever for any claim of unfair treatment of these officers due to their race. They want them treated with equal justice under the law, prosecuted equally under the law, and unfortunately, that means accepting that given these charges allow for bail in Tennessee, if they apply the same concept of being treated equally under the law, then these animals are entitled to bail. You should go and watch the press conference that the family gave on Friday afternoon with their attorneys prior to the video being released if you have some time. It was incredibly profound.
Thank you for that insightful information! i will check out the press conference

Here is an article saying they are all out on bond and the amount of bond. Might be accurate......

Tell you what...

If one cannot distinguish between thugs and Police officers, then it means situation is in "absolute shambles".

I really don't know what warnings and what should have been taken into account - the only thing I know is that these guys should have seen the Police station from the perspective of a cell - and never as employees.
Because, it surely was not their first "accomplishment".

Wearing a badge and protecting citizens is a privilige and not means of "power trips" for twisted individuals.

I hope "lessons will be learnt" for the sake of American public.

This case really disturbed me, and I don't even live in the US, but far away, on another continent.

I really thought that after Derek Ch.'s scandal nothing like this would happen.

But, unfortunately, I was wrong :(

JMO

You are far. You didn’t see what was happening here after that case. That summer showed - specifically to nonviolent, non-conservative people like me - that the world without the police would be very scary. I can’t speak about Memphis, it is a different planet altogether. TN should change many things. I can only say that changes that happened in PNW (and we had good police, especially in our biggest city, it was better than in my suburb) were aimed at limiting the police power, and are all negative. People don’t feel protected at all, and I suspect, our LE feels that it is hard to work like this.

You know I don't think there is any type of conspiracy going on with this case. I don't think they knew Tyre, targeted him, were particularly pissed at him or deliberately left him without help. In fact I'd go so far as to say I don't think it was much of an outlier at all.

I think that a high level of violence became accepted and normalised within this department or at least in this team. This sort of thing, (immediately aggressive tactics and violent unjustifiable beatings upon arrest) has probably has happened many times before.

The difference here being:
1) Tyre has no significant history of drugs/ crime/ mental health issues to shift sympathy or accountability.
2) There's unarguably clear and unbroken video of Tyre's lack of violent resistance or aggression throughout
3) He ended up injured badly enough to die.

That's why they don't bother rushing with an ambulance and stand around joking. They've done similar before and the guys they beat up lived, any lingering questions about excessive injuries or long term damage got covered with 'he went for mah gun.'

I think those five has no idea how badly Tyre was injured. They dragged him over to the car and propped him up because they thought he'd come-to after a bit, get checked out and they'd cart him off. Leave him to lick his wounds in the local lockup, let his mum bail him out in the morning on some resisting arrest and reckless driving offence. - Job well done, cake all around. A painful night in a cell will teach him for embarrassing us, making us do cardio after we sprayed our own faces with pepperspray etc etc.

The arriving officers/EMTs didn't rush to his aid because they got told he was a bit battered but conscious-ish. If they had an inkling he was almost comotose, they would have at minimum faked concern while cameras were rolling to cover their asses.

I'd bet that's why the Scorpion Squad or whatever its called got dismantled in a hurry as well. I'd not be surprised if other folk with lasting, though not fatal, injuries from this unit are about to surface. Along with a legacy of ignored complaints and retaliatory charges for those who dared to speak up on it.
Absolutely brilliant. Agree 100%.

Because technically speaking, they have not been convicted of an offence and until they are they must be presumed to be innocent.

Bail is not supposed to be extra pre-judicial punishment or bonus prison time, it's there to make sure you turn up to your trial. Keeping someone in until trial is supposed to be based on risk. While these men are vile, they are, let's be honest, unlikely to be a risk to the public now their badges and guns have been taken away.

The law should be the law for everyone, even them. Especially them, since if it works as it should they should be headed inside soon enough.

One can not compare crime rates if what is legal or decriminalized in one state is absolutely illegal in another. JMO. You can look only at violent crime, but even this is partially an offshoot of the laws. But yes, the force of police in Memphis, TN is 30/10000 people while in San Jose, CA it is 9/10000. All factors that you have mentioned, maybe, also access to medical care? IMHO.

Moo ..do they have a public scanner there? I noticed some states or places do not. What i do know about scanners..some one would of told them to calm the f.... Down...if it was public...moo

There has to be more video, right? I'd like to see this car pursuit and hear the radio calls.

Everything about this looks bogus to me. A lot of "stop resisting" talk and "he was reaching for my gun", while he was clearly not resisting (a pack of officers) and they are just pounding him for sport. Thank goodness for the pole camera or we might be hearing a different story.

It is horrible to read this. OMG- they were <modsnip> out for blood, that is my conclusion: when they pulled him over and actually yanked him out of the car- the siege upon him began--there is nothing he could have done to avoid the horror of what happened to him at the hands of these out of control police officers (former).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back