TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

I think, in time, we will see more people charged in this. I was shocked to learn that some (or at least one official) officials did not even know that some of their own deputies had been right there at the scene, and only learned about it after watching the video when it was released. I expect the EMTs who were there, to at least be seriously investigated. I really hope the cops who killed Tyre Nichols were drug tested immediately after this happened.
I think you are right, in time we will see more people charged. I highly doubt that those officers were on drugs when they did this… To me they just seem drunk with power, but that’s just my own opinion… And even if they were on drugs, it’s not an excuse. They, above all, should be acutely aware that drugs are illegal, and furthermore, at minimum, it is not only a violation of the law but an egregious violation to their community and of their oath to serve and protect to be on duty under the influence of anything… also, I really hope they weren’t under the influence of anything, because I wouldn’t want that to be manipulated into some sort of mitigating factor at their trial, as if they were not in their right minds due to being under the influence. They knew what they were doing, and I hope that they are prosecuted to the furthest extent of the law.

After watching the videos, I think there should be more charges and firings. I saw one policeman walk up to the beating and then retreat. Others were milling around and rationalizing their heinous behavior. None rendered aid or stopped the unlawful act. Listening to Tyre's agonal breathing/groaning was horrifying.
Another thing made me wonder about the stop. There was a brief time where I heard one policeman say something like 'this wasn't the right car', 'it was a Mustang' and I wondered if they stopped the wrong person in the first place. The conversation may have been about another call but I think it should be further explored.
Ray, good catch. Would you be able to direct us to which specific video and the approx time stamp where you hear this?

QQ for anyone with a knowledge of how this works in LE…

If there were approximately 10 officers on scene, why do we only have body cam footage from only a select few? Are all police officers required to wear body cam footage, or not necessarily? Also, is there, or could there be, any evidence that any of the officers disabled their body cam footage, or “sabotaged” what would be visible on the feed? For example, IIRC, I believe it was the second bodycam video that depicted a portion of footage in the latter half showing basically nothing… to me, it seems like it might have been sitting on the ground… the camera was still on, and you could still hear audio, but it was as if the officer had taken it off (or it had fallen off? I have no idea how body cams are secured to officers’ bodies/uniforms, or if having it come off accidentally even seems plausible)… does anyone have any knowledge of body cam rules, regulations (and are rules/regs the same everywhere?), if they are always required to be worn, or if it if varies by jurisdiction and available resources, how they are affixed to the person wearing them, etc.?

I can not watch past pepper spray and tazing, I felt his fear, he was running for his life. I turned it off. I agree with so many posts here, the introduction, them pulling him from the car was so abrupt and unlike ANY traffic stop I have EVER seen, or been part of. Yes, I've had a ticket or two. They freaked him out right off the bat, it's like they WANTED him to resist so they could beat him, like they were out looking for a fight. I have read so many posts from many places that describe a heinous murder that was brutal, just horrific. I pray for his poor mother, I saw her with the father and their lawyer on news channel. I can only imagine. I am so thankful she did not watch the video either, although the dad said he did, and she had to hear that he was calling for her at the end. Oh my Lord, I hope they have You by their side. He was only about 80 ft from his house!! Murder 2 in state of Tennessee is appropriate in my eyes. The terror, poor Tyre.

QQ for anyone with a knowledge of how this works in LE…

If there were approximately 10 officers on scene, why do we only have body cam footage from only a select few? Are all police officers required to wear body cam footage, or not necessarily? Also, is there, or could there be, any evidence that any of the officers disabled their body cam footage, or “sabotaged” what would be visible on the feed? For example, IIRC, I believe it was the second bodycam video that depicted a portion of footage in the latter half showing basically nothing… to me, it seems like it might have been sitting on the ground… the camera was still on, and you could still hear audio, but it was as if the officer had taken it off (or it had fallen off? I have no idea how body cams are secured to officers’ bodies/uniforms, or if having it come off accidentally even seems plausible)… does anyone have any knowledge of body cam rules, regulations (and are rules/regs the same everywhere?), if they are always required to be worn, or if it if varies by jurisdiction and available resources, how they are affixed to the person wearing them, etc.?
And just to expand on this a little bit, I watched this interview last night between Cuomo and Reverend Hasan, who led Tyre’s vigil on Thursday evening. She said a lot of things that really struck me… and I think she’s on point about a lot of this… but they also discussed something that has been on my mind and bugging me and she had a really good answer for it… I’ve been wondering why on earth these officers would even think about doing something like this (apart, of course from basic humanity, obviously) knowing full well that at least some of them were wearing body cams, equipped with audio… And think that they could possibly get away with this? Why on earth would they do this knowing that the entire thing would be filmed? Would they not know in advance that if they beat Tyre like this, they’d pretty much be guaranteed a prison sentence? OR, at BARE (INADEQUATE) MINIMUM, lose their jobs? Well, she addressed this question very well IMO, and she opened my eyes to not only this, but other very good points, as well. Here is the conversation, I highly recommend…

IMO the Scorpion unit was a terrible idea. Not at all citizen friendly in any way shape or form. More like an intimidation unit. Reminds me of a bad scene in a science fiction movie.

Really. The "mindset" is all wrong. Why couldn't the acronym be something like "Care Bears" or "Safety Corps" whatever...but seriously, "Scorpions" doesn't sound nice and friendly. Deadly. Thanks. Just what we need...LEO with a "deadly" mindset.

I have a suspicion these 4 former police officers have just made the job of thousands of other good police officers a lot harder. Shame on them! (And that’s the least of the shameful acts they committed)!

Memphis PD has lots of damage control to be done!

Not only Memphis. It erodes trust in LE institutes, all over the country. It is a huge damage that has been done and is difficult to undo.

I’m right there with you. My heart aches for the family esp. mom. I think of my own sons and grandsons. I can’t imagine the pain of viewing this and I’m a stranger. What the sense in all this? Do these cops have sons? I wonder what their moms think of them? We’re these 5 mean at home? Do drugs? We need to know more about these murderers! The hate! Do they even care now?
IMO, they care now. About themselves.

IMO, they care now. About themselves.
I hate having to agree with this, but right now I don't think I have a choice. I think their attitude today is "oh noes, we got caught" rather than "oh....my....we...have...done messed up and now we need to stop causing any more damages."

Maybe I'm wrong. I hope I am. I hope the officers involved with this are genuinely assessing themselves, their actions, and their culpability so the whole state's enforcement machinery can be improved.

Really. The "mindset" is all wrong. Why couldn't the acronym be something like "Care Bears" or "Safety Corps" whatever...but seriously, "Scorpions" doesn't sound nice and friendly. Deadly. Thanks. Just what we need...LEO with a "deadly" mindset.
Right! We need to go back to "Courtesy Patrol Unit". Although, I admit I like "Safety Corp". Maybe "Guardians of the Folks Who Live 'Round Here" or "Yes; I am my brother's keeper".
Something that serves as a constant reminder a traffic stop is not an act of war, and that only a few crimes warrant the death penalty.
Too many people have died because they "acted strangely" or "ran for their lives" or even "acted like they didn't have to comply with the law". I know it makes the LE job difficult, but if we spend as much time training that as we do the use of pepper spray, tasers, and rationalization-after-the-fact I think we'll see some improvements pretty quickly.

They’ve dismantled the SCORPIONs in Memphis. Per the BBC. Good!
Oops! @sds71 got it out already!
I don't know if dismantling is the right answer, either. Clearly, the unit was created because there was a need for it.

IMO, the NAME is where the troubles really began, and an undercurrent of problems ran downhill from there.

I can not watch past pepper spray and tazing, I felt his fear, he was running for his life. I turned it off. I agree with so many posts here, the introduction, them pulling him from the car was so abrupt and unlike ANY traffic stop I have EVER seen, or been part of. Yes, I've had a ticket or two. They freaked him out right off the bat, it's like they WANTED him to resist so they could beat him, like they were out looking for a fight. I have read so many posts from many places that describe a heinous murder that was brutal, just horrific. I pray for his poor mother, I saw her with the father and their lawyer on news channel. I can only imagine. I am so thankful she did not watch the video either, although the dad said he did, and she had to hear that he was calling for her at the end. Oh my Lord, I hope they have You by their side. He was only about 80 ft from his house!! Murder 2 in state of Tennessee is appropriate in my eyes. The terror, poor Tyre.
bbm

Murder 1 IMO.

I am not an attorney nor do I know the law in Tennessee.

Tyre was restrained, he was continuously beaten, even when they pulled him up. He was helpless. The officers did not stop. They only stopped when Tyre was no longer moving, and when they saw the pole camera.
They knew what they were doing, beating him, with a baton, with fists, kicking him in the head, continuously. Any police officer knows what that entails, a likelihood of subdural hematoma at the least.

In my eyes this is outright murder in the first degree.

It's horrifying.

I don't know if dismantling is the right answer, either. Clearly, the unit was created because there was a need for it.

IMO, the NAME is where the troubles really began, and an undercurrent of problems ran downhill from there.
Sorry, dismantling is the word the BBC used. It basically doesn’t change a thing about an obvious bigger problem in the department. IMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back