Toy Recalls Have Created Burden for Nation's Charities

Dark Knight

Reaction score

Santa Needs Help Cross-Checking Safe Toys -

Tim O'Connor has played Santa for 23 years — giving away toys through the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program in Grand Rapids, Mich.

But Santa's workshop never had to contend with anything like this. ]

This year's massive toy recalls have created an unexpected burden for the nation's charities, who struggle to ensure that the toys they give out this holiday season are safe.

For many organizations, that means bringing in scores more volunteers than usual, to cross-check donated toys against an ever-expanding list of recalls.

Those charities that don't have the manpower are getting out of the toy business altogether. At least 123 Salvation Army thrift shops in 15 states have opted to take all toys off the shelves this year.

For some shoppers, it's a big disappointment.

"It really hurts," says Mary Louise Robinson. She runs a local day care center, and shops at the Salvation Army every year for toys to give to her kids.

"[It will be] very devastating for parents who could not afford to buy toys for their kids from the regular stores," echoes Joy Black, a mother shopping at the Salvation Army with her young son. "A lot of kids won't have Christmas."

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3975561

I noticed this at the Goodwill. They had a few stuffed animals but none of the regular toys - new or used. While my kids won't suffer because of them, it bummed me out. I enjoy getting toys they want for cheap.

I noticed this at the Goodwill. They had a few stuffed animals but none of the regular toys - new or used. While my kids won't suffer because of them, it bummed me out. I enjoy getting toys they want for cheap.

Hopefully people will step up their donations of safe toys or monetary donations.

Santa Needs Help Cross-Checking Safe Toys -

Tim O'Connor has played Santa for 23 years — giving away toys through the Marine Corps Toys for Tots program in Grand Rapids, Mich.

But Santa's workshop never had to contend with anything like this. ]

This year's massive toy recalls have created an unexpected burden for the nation's charities, who struggle to ensure that the toys they give out this holiday season are safe.

For many organizations, that means bringing in scores more volunteers than usual, to cross-check donated toys against an ever-expanding list of recalls.

Those charities that don't have the manpower are getting out of the toy business altogether. At least 123 Salvation Army thrift shops in 15 states have opted to take all toys off the shelves this year.

For some shoppers, it's a big disappointment.

"It really hurts," says Mary Louise Robinson. She runs a local day care center, and shops at the Salvation Army every year for toys to give to her kids.

"[It will be] very devastating for parents who could not afford to buy toys for their kids from the regular stores," echoes Joy Black, a mother shopping at the Salvation Army with her young son. "A lot of kids won't have Christmas."

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3975561

I have rarely, if ever seen any grand toys at the salvation Army.
And I must wonder if the reason of the season is really about Family and love (as we all profess) then why does it matter what gifts are given??

Oh , but wait?? Children need gifts??? NO.. this only perpetuates the guilt they will feel as adults if they cannot afford gifts.

And I must wonder if the reason of the season is really about Family and love (as we all profess) then why does it matter what gifts are given??

Oh , but wait?? Children need gifts??? NO.. this only perpetuates the guilt they will feel as adults if they cannot afford gifts.

Right!

"A lot of kids won't have Christmas." - what a bunch of hooey!

whoa....good point, Amra..

Thank you both ... I really thought I would get bashed for saying that!!
It just makes me sad that yearly people stress out about buying gifts .. yet everyone tows the line that "its not about the gifts"
If its not and we REALLY believe its about the season and love and the birth of Christ then why is the emphasis NOT about that??
If its not about the material things then why not rather then send gifts ... take the time to share the season??
Arrange a get together for those at a disadvantage .. Simply a few hours away from the hardships of life to smile and be happy. Set that example for the children who will be the adults of tomorrow rather than the materialistic gifts that have cultivated the generations that we are... worried about not being able to afford Christmas.

Good post! took the words outta my head!

Small children who believe in Santa Claus likely won't understand not getting gifts as well as someone older and wiser.

If people really practiced toy safety and bought absolutely nothing made in China then richer kids would get very little for xmas either. I'd rather see disappointment than poisoned kids. I just wonder why we haven't begun to hear about lots more cases of lead poisoning since Medicaid requires testing and so many toys have been contaminated.

Small children who believe in Santa Claus likely won't understand not getting gifts as well as someone older and wiser.

Small children believe and understand what they are taught.
Teach them that its not about gifts and make the effort to spend a day playing with them or spending time with them and they will be just fine.

Small children believe and understand what they are taught.
Teach them that its not about gifts and make the effort to spend a day playing with them or spending time with them and they will be just fine.

I just faced this recently with a friend whose new year's resolution was to be more responsible with money. He just informed me he was going to skip the payment on his car to buy Christmas for his 8 year old. I insisted that Christmas could be more meaningful if he'd spend TIME with his son, rather than buy junk that he'd stop playing with in 20 minutes. Maybe volunteer together or make something together.

He isn't listening. I think, honestly, that people don't ENJOY spending time with their children as much as they ought to, so they spend money they don't have instead.

The reason I think this is that his son is always on the computer, the television or a video game or movie. Not flying a kite. Not helping Dad fix the whatever-is-broken or even washing the car together or showing up at school for lunch sometime. It's sad.

I don't buy my daughter ANYTHING at Christmas. Never have. I let anyone else who is wanting to play Santa do that - and she and I make homemade foods and stuff to give to others as their presents, rather than buying stuff. It works for me.

I totally understand what you are saying about christmas not being about the toys. We try to find a balance between gifts and the real meaning of christmas. The truth is that my kids at least don't understand not getting gifts. I could skip gifts but they would go back to school and not understand why their friends got gifts but not them. I try to do what's best for my family and let others do what's best for them.

I totally understand what you are saying about christmas not being about the toys. We try to find a balance between gifts and the real meaning of christmas. The truth is that my kids at least don't understand not getting gifts. I could skip gifts but they would go back to school and not understand why their friends got gifts but not them. I try to do what's best for my family and let others do what's best for them.

I'm not saying I don't buy my daughter things - just not "for Christmas". For example, when she wanted a cellphone, it was March. Not near her birthday, not near Christmas. I got the cellphone because I could afford it at the time without a problem and because I wanted her to have one for safety reasons. She didn't have to wait "for Christmas."

See, I usually wait until christmas to buy most things. My kids' birthdays are in Sept. and Dec. so they get a small gift then and the bigger things at christmas. They have to spend their money they earn doing chores to buy things during the year. This year my oldest two stopped believing in Santa so things are a little different.

I'm not saying I don't buy my daughter things - just not "for Christmas". For example, when she wanted a cellphone, it was March. Not near her birthday, not near Christmas. I got the cellphone because I could afford it at the time without a problem and because I wanted her to have one for safety reasons. She didn't have to wait "for Christmas."

You should really freak her out and give her something special on Christmas Day THIS year. :blowkiss: It's always fun to keep the kids guessing what you're going to do next, just when they think they got you pegged. ;)

I just faced this recently with a friend whose new year's resolution was to be more responsible with money. He just informed me he was going to skip the payment on his car to buy Christmas for his 8 year old. I insisted that Christmas could be more meaningful if he'd spend TIME with his son, rather than buy junk that he'd stop playing with in 20 minutes. Maybe volunteer together or make something together.

He isn't listening. I think, honestly, that people don't ENJOY spending time with their children as much as they ought to, so they spend money they don't have instead.

The reason I think this is that his son is always on the computer, the television or a video game or movie. Not flying a kite. Not helping Dad fix the whatever-is-broken or even washing the car together or showing up at school for lunch sometime. It's sad.

I don't buy my daughter ANYTHING at Christmas. Never have. I let anyone else who is wanting to play Santa do that - and she and I make homemade foods and stuff to give to others as their presents, rather than buying stuff. It works for me.

I agree with this as I myself am very guilty about not spending time with my kids. But at the same time, I like to watch my kids open countless presents to watch the twinkle in thier eye as they get something new. I do like to go do festive things like go see Christmas lights displays with the family.

I like buying toys for TFT as well. Usually buy a football, doll, etc.

Glitch I absolutely LOVE your approach!!!
Its convoluted that people feel guilty if they can't afford gifts.

Jantel I think that if parents made an effort to spend time with their children it would not matter if they had gifts or not.
IMO its how the parents spin it.
If its portrayed as something sad and depressing then that is how children will perceive their lack of gifts.
I do buy my children gifts at Christmas and throughout the year but I do not think that is the most important thing.

I am bothered that the notion is to give these pour children gifts once a year rather then to teach their parents to spend time with them or better yet spend the money on making it possible for the parents to improve their lives...

I'm a homeschooling mom who does nothing but spend time with the kids. I think they are sick of me. lol

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back