Tragedy at Ohio state fair, 1 dead, 5 critical on fire ball ride, 26 July 2017

http://wkbn.com/2017/08/06/fire-bal...excessive-corrosion-led-to-fatal-malfunction/

Fire Ball ride manufacturer says ‘excessive corrosion’ led to fatal malfunction

"“It was determined that excessive corrosion on the interior of the gondola support beam dangerously reduced the beam’s wall thickness over the years. This finally led to the catastrophic failure of the ride during operation,” the company says in a letter dated Aug. 4."

Full statement at link. Not sure if it's okay to post the whole statement, or link to it on the manufacturer's Facebook?

It is absolutely shocking this wasn't picked up before terrible tragedy struck it is tantamount to gross negligence.

It is absolutely shocking this wasn't picked up before terrible tragedy struck it is tantamount to gross negligence.

not really that shocking, if you inspect something like that every day and there is corrosion it is very difficult to see it progress as it gets slightly worse,

its like trying to watch somebodies hair grow,

if you see the same person everyday for years, your not going to notice their hair getting longer because its a very slow process, however if you see that person only once a year, or two, then your going to notice the difference,

gradual processes are hard to see,

think of it like this, if i filled your bathtub 3 inches deep and asked you to look at, then a week later i added half an inch of water and asked you is it higher now, could you tell the difference?....not likely,

and if i kept doing that for a year or two you wouldn't be able to see the difference from week to week, but years down the road the tub would be full

Second victim of Ohio State fair Fire Ball ride incident dies

An 18-year-old who was critically injured last year at the Ohio State Fair has died from her injuries, according to WSYX ABC-6.

Jennifer Lambert was hurt when the Fire Ball ride broke apart on the fair's opening day on July 26, 2017, WSYX ABC-6 reported.

Lambert died at a Columbus hospital on Friday. She had been in the hospital since the accident.

So sad. The poor girl was in the hospital ever since the accident. Such a tragedy. Never heard much about her still suffering until now.

Looks like her death may be unrelated to the brain injury.

But if she didn't have any liver problems before the accident (not sure if that's the case) then it seems like it would be indirectly related, right?

Family: State Fair accident victim's death appears unrelated to accident

Lambert's attorney told the Columbus Dispatch:

"Obviously, liver failure doesn't happen naturally to most 19-year-olds and she was in a susceptible state. Something happened and we simply don't know what it is yet. I know that we will see some developments over the next week because I want to know what happened, how it happened and why."

I agree with the lawyer. Liver failure doesn't happen naturally to most 19-year-olds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back