Transgender considerations in UID remains and missing/murder investigations

Here is another I found

Graphic Postmortem on link

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP79390Other, Multiple
Date Body FoundMarch 28, 2021
Location FoundNew York, New York

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case NumberM21-12458
Demographics
SexOther
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American, Hispanic / Latino

Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-25
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--

Height5' 9"(69 inches) , Measured
Weight168 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
NamUs Case CreatedApril 8, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed--

Location Found Map
LocationNew York, New York
CountyNew York County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--

Circumstances of Recovery

Unknown individual found unresponsive in a bus shelter on Madison Ave in Midtown NYC.

Individual possibly assigned male sex at birth. Currently living as female with the possible name of
Kim Ramirez.
Also currently using the names of Luis Ramirez Frias,
Kelvin Frias,
and Kelvin Ramirez.
None of these names have been verified and next of kin has not been located.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsRecognizable face

Physical Description
Hair ColorOther
Head Hair DescriptionFound wearing a wig with purple/silver hair. Natural hair underneath is currently bleached blonde. Hair is naturally brown. Hair currently braided

Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
Distinctive Physical Features
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
Carrying a magenta/hot pink sparkly purse
Near the Body

Clothing
Black tights
Yellow T-shirt with "Cool Vibes" written on the front
Short puffy zip-up coat with a white, black, and green chevron design
On the Body

Footwear
White high top "Nike" sneakers.
The shoe laces are missing
On the Body
Reminded of this missing person because of the (as opposed to black hair) - brown hair, slight widow's peak and eyebrows.
Ramiro Avila Jr. – The Charley Project
  • avila_ramiro.jpg
    • avila_ramiro2.jpg

Avila, circa 2017

Reminded of this missing person because of the (as opposed to black hair) - brown hair, slight widow's peak and eyebrows.
Ramiro Avila Jr. – The Charley Project
  • avila_ramiro.jpg
    • avila_ramiro2.jpg
Avila, circa 2017

oh wow dotr that is interesting both the missing you found and the unidentified I found have gone by the name Kim or Kimberly and are only an inch difference in height

I also found this one. I don’t think I ever posted this one before. oh I don’t remember anymore anyway here goes.

Thumbnail

UNIDENTIFIED
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP1601 Male Black / African American
Date Body FoundSeptember 29, 1981
Location FoundNewark, New Jersey

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number07812451/85-9532
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years)30-35
Estimated Year of Death1981
Estimated PMI--

Height 5’4"(64 inches) , Estimated
Weight 145 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Date Body Found
September 29, 1981
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 31, 2008

Location Found Map
LocationNewark, New Jersey
CountyEssex County

Circumstances of Recovery Body found at Whitney and Ruth Streets in Newark, NJ. Facial reconstruction complete.
Details of Recovery

Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair DescriptionBlack
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye Description--

Item
Description

Finger and toe nails
Red fingernail and toenail polish.

Clothing and Accessories
Item Description

Clothing
Blue long-sleeve jacket with silver colored brooch.
Three panties -
outermost is light pink;
middle is brown;
innermost is brown.
Maroon slip.
Multi-colored floral printed halter.
On the Body

Jewelry
Silver colored brooch.
Silver colored bracelet on left wrist. Neck chain.
Left ear had pearl-like earring.
On the Body

I don't know if this will qualify but its a woman in mens clothing.

214UFMD

Unidentified White Female
•Located on September 30, 1979 Upper Marlboro, Prince George's County, Maryland.
•Estimated Date of Death: Hours prior
•Cause of Death: Motor vehicle hit and run accident.

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 18-30 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'5"; 173 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair, 4 inches long; blue eyes.
•Marks, Scars: Medium build. Old deformity in arch of left foot. 1 1/2 inch scar beneath right elbow.
•Clothing: She was dressed in men's clothing and shoes. Burnt orange, zip up, terry cloth shirt, with brown stripes on shoulders and down front; white panties; white bra. Black or dark blue, knit, men’s pants, white socks and black, lace up, leather shoes.
•Personal Effects: Trailways bus ticket issued in Miami, FL to Georgia in pocket.
•Tattoos: Tattoos right arm in sequence from upper forearm: Love, 143, Rudy.
Tattoo a heart with CS on right forearm.
Tattoos left forearm F.A.L.;
Star on wrist.
Tattoo of heart with arrow on upper right leg.
•Fingerprints: Available
•Dentals: Available
•DNA: Not Available

Case History
The victim was located at I-95, North of Pennsylvania Avenue Exit, Northbound Lane/South of Maryland Rout 4 in Upper Marlboro, MD.
She was seen hitchhiking prior to this.
Trailways bus ticket was found in her pants issued in Miami, Florida. The ticket seller remembered the victim.
She was possibly with an African-American male who caused trouble at the bus station and had to be removed by police.

Iam reposting this one (the lady in men’s clothing) because she has a WS thread and I had never included her photo/sketch in my initial post.

MD - MD - Upper Marlboro, WhtFem UP2260, 18-30, bus ticket, deformed foot, Sep'79

Thumbnail

UNIDENTIFIED
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP2260 Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found
September 30, 1979
Location FoundUpper Marlboro, Maryland

Here is another I found

Graphic Postmortem on link

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP79390Other, Multiple
Location FoundNew York, New York

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case NumberM21-12458
Demographics
SexOther
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American, Hispanic / Latino

Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 30
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-25
Estimated Year of Death--
Estimated PMI--

Height5' 9"(69 inches) , Measured
Weight168 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
NamUs Case CreatedApril 8, 2021
ME/C QA Reviewed--

Location Found Map
LocationNew York, New York
CountyNew York County

Circumstances of Recovery

Unknown individual found unresponsive in a bus shelter on Madison Ave in Midtown NYC.

Individual possibly assigned male sex at birth. Currently living as female with the possible name of
Kim Ramirez.
Also currently using the names of Luis Ramirez Frias,
Kelvin Frias,
and Kelvin Ramirez.
None of these names have been verified and next of kin has not been located.
Details of Recovery

Condition of RemainsRecognizable face

Physical Description
Hair ColorOther
Head Hair DescriptionFound wearing a wig with purple/silver hair. Natural hair underneath is currently bleached blonde. Hair is naturally brown. Hair currently braided

Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye Description--
No Information Entered

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Accessories
Carrying a magenta/hot pink sparkly purse
Near the Body

Clothing
Black tights
Yellow T-shirt with "Cool Vibes" written on the front
Short puffy zip-up coat with a white, black, and green chevron design
On the Body

Footwear
White high top "Nike" sneakers.
The shoe laces are missing
On the Body
Just noting that the NamUs page for Kim Ramirez is down. Hopefully she has been identified and returned to loved ones.

I also found this one. I don’t think I ever posted this one before. oh I don’t remember anymore anyway here goes.

Thumbnail

UNIDENTIFIED
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP1601 Male Black / African American
Date Body FoundSeptember 29, 1981
Location FoundNewark, New Jersey

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number07812451/85-9532
Demographics
SexMale
Race / EthnicityBlack / African American

Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 40
Estimated Age Range (Years)30-35
Estimated Year of Death1981
Estimated PMI--

Height 5’4"(64 inches) , Estimated
Weight 145 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Date Body Found
September 29, 1981
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 31, 2008

Location Found Map
LocationNewark, New Jersey
CountyEssex County

Circumstances of Recovery Body found at Whitney and Ruth Streets in Newark, NJ. Facial reconstruction complete.
Details of Recovery

Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair ColorBlack
Head Hair DescriptionBlack
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description--
Left Eye ColorUnknown
Right Eye ColorUnknown
Eye Description--

Item
Description

Finger and toe nails
Red fingernail and toenail polish.

Clothing and Accessories
Item Description

Clothing
Blue long-sleeve jacket with silver colored brooch.
Three panties -
outermost is light pink;
middle is brown;
innermost is brown.
Maroon slip.
Multi-colored floral printed halter.
On the Body

Jewelry
Silver colored brooch.
Silver colored bracelet on left wrist. Neck chain.
Left ear had pearl-like earring.
On the Body

Essex County Jane Doe (1981) Doe Network and NJPD both have the victim listed as female, with no indication that she was assigned male at birth. Maybe she was listed as male in NamUs by mistake?

Trans Doe Task Force has an amazing map on possible/suspected LGBTQIA+ cases around the world on their website:

Case Map - Trans Doe Task Force
I can not thank you enough for this resource!

Link to their homepage: https://transdoetaskforce.org/

I wanted to add that another obstacle for sleuthers is when autopsy misgenders.

A webpage where they offer guidance aimed at us, citizens sleuthers allies:
https://transdoetaskforce.org/a-message-to-citizen-sleuth-allies/

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
This UID from 1982 has had new details added to NamUs, suggesting they may have been a trans man:

(Postmortem warning) The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

CA - CA - Los Angeles, WhtFem UP4311, 30-50, GSW, Tattoos: Tiger, Scorpion, Crab, Feb'82

"Circumstances of Recovery On 02/12/1982 the decedent was found at a construction site with an apparent self inflicted gunshot would to her head. She was dressed in male clothing with short hair in a male-style haircut and was originally thought to be a male by officers."

That second sentence wasn't on NamUs before. If someone thought it was important to add that info, hopefully it means they're re-examining this case in a new light.

“We started researching and looking for cold cases that might have been transgender, and we found dozens — and eventually hundreds,” he explained. “The contextual clues were there, but oftentimes were misrepresented by the person writing the report, or completely overlooked.”

He added that many of the Jane and John Does who have been identified were white, heterosexual and cisgender victims, leaving many minorities' cases — including LGBTQ+ and Black individuals — without resolution.

Both Redgraves, who identify as transgender, now work with a team of genetic genealogists to focus on individuals who have “slipped through the cracks,” including anyone who lived as a gender that does not match their missing person description.

Many of these people include murder victims, runaways and those who have died by suicide.

Most databases used by investigators don’t allow for comparison across gender, according to Redgrave.

“This means that if a person is entered in missing as male, but they are found as an unidentified person and entered into the database as female, those two entries will not be automatically compared in the system,” said Redgrave. “And unless someone notices and checks manually, neither the missing person nor unidentified case will be resolved.”

The LAMMP also allows chosen relatives and loved ones to list someone as missing, whereas other agencies only allow immediate family members to report a missing person — and some family members may not list a parent or child by their actual gender identity.

The Trans Doe Task Force has already assisted in several high-profile solved missing persons cases, including Jasper John Doe, whose skeletal remains were found in 1983. The body was identified in 2021 as William Lewis — a victim of prolific serial killer Larry Eyler.

They have also led the work on the cases of Pillar Point Doe, whose stabbed, beaten and strangled body was found in Half Moon Bay, California in 1983, and Julie Doe, whose murder has yet to be solved, to name a few.

The team says it’s essential that trans victims are memorialized with their lived gender with because of what is termed postmortem violence and proxy trauma, Anthony Redgrave told Oxygen.com. Postmortem violence is when a person experiences continued and intentional negligence, bias and transphobia even after death — including having incorrect pronouns applied to them and being deadnamed, which is when others use a transgender person’s former name. Proxy trauma, Redgrave explained, is something individuals face when seeing other members of their community being traumatized.
More at link:

“We started researching and looking for cold cases that might have been transgender, and we found dozens — and eventually hundreds,” he explained. “The contextual clues were there, but oftentimes were misrepresented by the person writing the report, or completely overlooked.”

He added that many of the Jane and John Does who have been identified were white, heterosexual and cisgender victims, leaving many minorities' cases — including LGBTQ+ and Black individuals — without resolution.

Both Redgraves, who identify as transgender, now work with a team of genetic genealogists to focus on individuals who have “slipped through the cracks,” including anyone who lived as a gender that does not match their missing person description.

Many of these people include murder victims, runaways and those who have died by suicide.

Most databases used by investigators don’t allow for comparison across gender, according to Redgrave.

“This means that if a person is entered in missing as male, but they are found as an unidentified person and entered into the database as female, those two entries will not be automatically compared in the system,” said Redgrave. “And unless someone notices and checks manually, neither the missing person nor unidentified case will be resolved.”

The LAMMP also allows chosen relatives and loved ones to list someone as missing, whereas other agencies only allow immediate family members to report a missing person — and some family members may not list a parent or child by their actual gender identity.

The Trans Doe Task Force has already assisted in several high-profile solved missing persons cases, including Jasper John Doe, whose skeletal remains were found in 1983. The body was identified in 2021 as William Lewis — a victim of prolific serial killer Larry Eyler.

They have also led the work on the cases of Pillar Point Doe, whose stabbed, beaten and strangled body was found in Half Moon Bay, California in 1983, and Julie Doe, whose murder has yet to be solved, to name a few.

The team says it’s essential that trans victims are memorialized with their lived gender with because of what is termed postmortem violence and proxy trauma, Anthony Redgrave told Oxygen.com. Postmortem violence is when a person experiences continued and intentional negligence, bias and transphobia even after death — including having incorrect pronouns applied to them and being deadnamed, which is when others use a transgender person’s former name. Proxy trauma, Redgrave explained, is something individuals face when seeing other members of their community being traumatized.
More at link:
Bumping to say I highly recommend reading this great article. Thanks for posting!

Something I've wondered is how things might be complicated by a person being intersex (thus their DNA would find them as one sex), but other factors might be ambiguous or interpreted as a different gender, and they didn't know they were intersex (how many of us have actually had genetic testing?), who were assigned a gender other than their genetic sex, and realized they were a gender different from what they had been brought up -- so, basically, for instance, a transgender woman who is genetically a woman but had been assigned/raised male. I hope that's explained at least relatively well. I have no idea how common or rare that might be, but it occurred to me as a possibility.

Lengthy magazine article..
BY JOSHUA RIVERDALE 2019

''Misgendering after death is not only disrespectful to the deceased person, and difficult for the grieving family and friends, it can also negatively impact insurance claims, estate settlement, and genealogical records.

California is one of the states in the U.S. that has legislation in place to prevent the misgendering of transgender people after death. It was inspired by Christopher Lee, a transgender man who passed away in 2012 at the age of 48. After his death, the coroner identified Christopher’s gender as “female” on his death certificate, despite seeing a Driver’s License which identified him as “male” and hearing from his loved ones who said that he identified as a “Female to Male transgender man” and provided written documentation supporting this. The Respect After Death Act took effect in July 2015.''

''For transguys who are unable or do not wish to undergo surgeries, there are a couple of legal options available to help prevent being misgendered after death:
  1. Make a will and provide instructions to your executor as to your wishes; or
  2. Complete an advance health care directive (aka “living will”)
Most state governments have an advanced directive form that you can fill out on your own. If you’re in the U.S., click here to to find your state’s advance directive and other key healthcare forms. If you’re in Canada, you can download a free advanced directive template here.

If you’re unable to sign the form in front of witnesses or a notary to make it legal, you can create a trusted decision maker form, which is the next best thing to a legal advance directive.

The Transgender Law Center also has a transgender-specific advanced directive document that allows you to appoint an agent with the power to enforce your wishes, as well as to list people who should have NO authority over arrangements following your death.
''Misgendering after death is not only disrespectful to the deceased person, and difficult for the grieving family and friends, it can also negatively impact insurance claims, estate settlement, and genealogical records.''

California is one of the states in the U.S. that has legislation in place to prevent the misgendering of transgender people after death. It was inspired by Christopher Lee, a transgender man who passed away in 2012 at the age of 48. After his death, the coroner identified Christopher’s gender as “female” on his death certificate, despite seeing a Driver’s License which identified him as “male” and hearing from his loved ones who said that he identified as a “Female to Male transgender man” and provided written documentation supporting this. The Respect After Death Act took effect in July 2015. The law ensures that death certificates reflect the authentic lived gender of the deceased, with various forms of proof accepted under the law, including written confirmation of the deceased’s wishes, updated birth certificates and driver’s licenses, or medical records of gender transition.''

''For transguys who are unable or do not wish to undergo surgeries, there are a couple of legal options available to help prevent being misgendered after death:

1. Make a will and provide instructions to your executor as to your wishes; or
  2. Complete an advance health care directive (aka “living will”)
Most state governments have an advanced directive form that you can fill out on your own. If you’re in the U.S., click here to to find your state’s advance directive and other key healthcare forms. If you’re in Canada, you can download a free advanced directive template here.

If you’re unable to sign the form in front of witnesses or a notary to make it legal, you can create a trusted decision maker form, which is the next best thing to a legal advance directive.

The Transgender Law Center also has a transgender-specific advanced directive document that allows you to appoint an agent with the power to enforce your wishes, as well as to list people who should have NO authority over arrangements following your death.''

rbbm.
''Being born intersex means that some people have genitalia and/or a reproductive system that does not fall into the typical male or female category. When they grow over time, some don’t identify with their external anatomy or don’t know they are intersex at all due to their view of who they are. It is possible that bones not belonging to the two binaries may vary from normal development in the case of intersex humans. When forensic anthropologists find human remains, they can almost always identify sex right away if certain bones are present. Sometimes, though, after analysis, remains would be classified as ambiguous or undetermined (A/U) using established identification standards. These standards classify certain features of bones that were present as either male or female, but if a bone does not exactly have strict male or strict female characteristics, it is A/U which can leave some remains incorrectly identified. Some forensic Determination of Intersex Humans in Human Remains anthropologists believe that the A/U category could be for those people who were not strictly male or female when alive. Without standards or guideless for A/U, those who are born intersex fall through the cracks after death and leave behind only a memory of who they were.''

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure this person was transgender, She was dressed in male clothing with short hair with a male style haircut and was originally thought by officers to be male.

3451UMLA - Unidentified Male
No_Image_Available_male.jpg
CASE%20NUMBER.jpg

Date of Discovery: May 31, 1982
Location of Discovery: New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
Estimated Date of Death: 1982
State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction
Cause of Death: Unknown

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 26-34 years old
Race: Unknown.
Sex: Male
Height: Unknown
Weight: Unknown
Hair Color: Unknown
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers
Dentals: Available. Mandible and maxilla removed for future identification.
Fingerprints: Unavailable
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Women's red shirt and bra; jeans found near the decedent.
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent was found on Golf Drive near Roosevelt Mall in City Park. Based on description of clothing found, the victim may have been transgender.

Original file note suggests white male but ForDisc suggests black male. Decedent's age is based on jaws only. Extent of decomposition is unknown. The mandible and maxilla have been removed for future identification. The location of body is unknown.

Investigating Agency(s)
Agency Name: Orleans Parish Coroner's Office
Agency Contact Person: Unknown
Agency Phone Number: 504-658-9660
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: F82-7

Agency Name: LSU FACES Laboratory
Agency Contact Person: Ginesse Listi
Agency Phone Number: 225-578-4761
Agency E-Mail: Unknown
Agency Case Number: 08-29-31

NCIC Case Number: Unknown