TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I’m sure this has been discussed at least once but there are so many threads… Since Prior isn’t DP qualified, if Chad’s found guilty, couldn’t this create a mess (grounds for an appeal)?

Prior trying to withdraw too close to trial and the judge allowing him to stay on doesn’t seem to be a common scenario. At least not in the few DP cases I’ve followed. Could Chad later claim ineffective counsel?
I suspect that they might try to use it on appeal but I do not think that it will fly - not because of JP not being DP qualified anyway. From what I can tell, a death penalty qualified attorney is not a requirement in a death penalty trial IF the defendant obtained his own council. Apparently, that would be violating the defendant’s right to choose his own council. A death penalty qualified attorney is only REQUIRED if the defendant has been appointed a public defender. While I do not understand why CD chose JP as his attorney considering he is not death penalty qualified and has limited experience with criminal trials, it was his right to choose his own council because he was paying for his own council. And CD knew it was a death penalty case when he took it on years ago. The fact that he tried to withdraw shortly before the actual trial but was not allowed to do so, might be a problem except that CD affirmed that he would like CD to remain on the case at that hearing. He cannot be paid by public funds because he was not DP Qualified and he failed to find anyone who would join his team that was. But since DP was on the table when CD took the case and since he was being paid by CD and not the state, his lack of DP qualification would not be grounds for appeal. That is not saying there wouldn’t be some other reason to appeal for ineffectiveness of council but I do think it would have to be for something other than him not being death penalty qualified.

I can see not knowing anything about the trial, when I had kids, and was working, I wasn't even sure what month it was half of the time.

Ten weeks, without pay. That is harsh. Federal and state employees get full pay for jury duty, they just turn in the nominal payment they get. Very few companies will pay for 10 weeks of jury duty.

Tuesday, April 2nd:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ 9am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24).
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection. Trial will be held in Ada County.
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Lindsey Blake & Rachel Smith & defense attorney John Prior.

Previous charges, Grand jury indictment & Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 reference post #623 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...bell-charles-vallow-arrests-77.686529/page-32

4/1/24 Docket update: Order on State's Motion for Limiting Instruction. [Refrain from eliciting the issue of Vallow's trial or conviction during voir dire & during the presentation of evidence in this case].
4/1/24 Monday, Jury Selection Day 1: Jury selection begins. 50 prospective jurors brought in. 12 jurors & 6 alternates will be chosen. 16 peremptory challenges on each side will be permitted. 16 jurors who will advance to the final pool of 50. Additional groups of jurors will be questioned tomorrow. Jury selection continues on 4/2/24.

The camera wasn't this distant from the parties and the judge in the pretrial hearings.

Shopping list for today - binoculars to fix onto my magnifying glasses, and a pair of hearing aids.

Still, mustn't grumble, it's better than just audio at the end of the day, I suppose...

Chad comes over as a head boy in school, not a man in his fifties. Butter wouldn't melt would it. I thought he might testify before watching today, now the questioning of jurors makes me think he won't.

I suspect that they might try to use it on appeal but I do not think that it will fly - not because of JP not being DP qualified anyway. From what I can tell, a death penalty qualified attorney is not a requirement in a death penalty trial IF the defendant obtained his own council. Apparently, that would be violating the defendant’s right to choose his own council. A death penalty qualified attorney is only REQUIRED if the defendant has been appointed a public defender. While I do not understand why CD chose JP as his attorney considering he is not death penalty qualified and has limited experience with criminal trials, it was his right to choose his own council because he was paying for his own council. And CD knew it was a death penalty case when he took it on years ago. The fact that he tried to withdraw shortly before the actual trial but was not allowed to do so, might be a problem except that CD affirmed that he would like CD to remain on the case at that hearing. He cannot be paid by public funds because he was not DP Qualified and he failed to find anyone who would join his team that was. But since DP was on the table when CD took the case and since he was being paid by CD and not the state, his lack of DP qualification would not be grounds for appeal. That is not saying there wouldn’t be some other reason to appeal for ineffectiveness of council but I do think it would have to be for something other than him not being death penalty qualified.
We will have to hope that JP is in very good health for the next 3-4 months!!

Does anyone have any idea or thoughts about who might be the first witness called in Chad's case?
Supposedly, the prosecution is supposed to start out strong and end strong. Meaning their first witness should kick butt, and the last witness called by the prosecution should do the same.
Do you think any of Chad's kids will take the stand for the prosecution?
I don't know if any of them have come around to seeing the truth about their dad. It is heartbreaking.

Kay was first before, and she was a powerful first witness. Let her go first and be done. Maybe Tammy's sister?

I don't think any of the kids will testify except possibly Garth. Otherwise, I hope they can all remain out of sight if they choose to.

Sorry, I’m sure this has been discussed at least once but there are so many threads… Since Prior isn’t DP qualified, if Chad’s found guilty, couldn’t this create a mess (grounds for an appeal)?

Prior trying to withdraw too close to trial and the judge allowing him to stay on doesn’t seem to be a common scenario. At least not in the few DP cases I’ve followed. Could Chad later claim ineffective counsel?

Bingo, it is probably strategic. That hearing was so weird.

I'll probable mention this again on down the road as the topic comes up but the other day I was thinking about how horrible it was Chad allowed Garth to become involved in this.

Meaning, Chad (**allegedly**) killed her knowing that Garth would be in the home, intentionally called him home from his fun haunted house activity, and required him to see her body in such a state. Chad needed a witness to the horrible, "tragic sudden death" and I guess Garth was the "lucky" winner of that lottery by virtue of still living there. Even seeing your loved one pass peacefully in a hospital bed can really stick in the mind forever. I just hate he had to see his mother like that.

IIRC Chad also coerced Garth into leaving the college where he was happy and thriving by claiming he had dark spirits attached to him that needed to be expelled. Chad sucks; he is far from being a "chad."

Are all of his kids on CD's side?
They all appeared on that 48 Hours (or Fox? IDR) segment where they at least appeared to be standing by dad last year I think.

I say appeared because A) pay attention to the seating and B) pay attention to who is talking the most.

I have a feeling that if any of the kids have doubts they wouldn't dare voice them in the presence of others.

MOO.

The camera wasn't this distant from the parties and the judge in the pretrial hearings.

Shopping list for today - binoculars to fix onto my magnifying glasses, and a pair of hearing aids.

Still, mustn't grumble, it's better than just audio at the end of the day, I suppose...

Chad comes over as a head boy in school, not a man in his fifties. Butter wouldn't melt would it. I thought he might testify before watching today, now the questioning of jurors makes me think he won't.

A camera without an actual camera operator for focus/zoom and poor mic quality borders on ridiculous. Trial by live tweet was ridiculous. I hope the sound quality improves when witnesses are on the stand... or maybe I can adjust (shop for those hearing aids) if I want to continue following live.

jmo

LOL Yes and Cathy is right. This is a major unicorn. This person must have been living in a cave in Afganistan not to have heard of this case.
There is a steady stream of newcomers moving here from other states. She could be a new resident and just hasn't seen any coverage elsewhere.

I was called for jury duty last October for a 3-4 week trial and walking into the courthouse I met up with a lady that was also called for jury duty. She was so perplexed about her summons as she had only lived here for a month. She had never received a summons in her previous home state...ever.

Then there are those individuals that just do not watch or listen to the news and do not care what is happening in the world.

One particular family member that came to Easter dinner had no idea who Chad was or why some of us were excited his trial would begin April 1st. And furthermore wasn't interested when we tried to tell her.

During yesterday's break, Lauren Matthias interviewed two jurors from Lori's trial who are in the audience at Chad's trial. One has never been interviewed before. She stated that she was a changed person after Lori's trial who needed therapy, but she also missed her co-jurors. She also mentioned something that has been on my mind. What if JP only subpoenaed Chad's SIL to prevent her from attending the trial? He could do that with all Chad's detractors. Kay Woodcock isn't there because she is a witness, so one person less to judge him. There was also a weird moment when Lauren locked eyes with Chad when he entered the courtroom. He gave her a nod. I'd be weary of giving him attention. It probably feeds his ego, especially with women.

Last edited:
I was under the impression you have to live in a county for at least a year before becoming eligible for jury duty? Does this vary by state? I don't see how getting a summons after having been there for one month is valid.

I changed my voter registration to the county where I've technically been staying in the most (college) because it's a pain to drive an hour to vote in my hometown. I have lived in the previous county my entire life...at the time my license was still registered to that county. About four months after this I got a jury summons for the county I'd "moved out" of. I can only assume this had to do with my license, but I called and got withdrawn because as much as the experience of selections would be enjoyable to me, I couldn't justify losing like a day of work just for them to kick me out because I've left for college.

I'll probable mention this again on down the road as the topic comes up but the other day I was thinking about how horrible it was Chad allowed Garth to become involved in this.

Meaning, Chad (**allegedly**) killed her knowing that Garth would be in the home, intentionally called him home from his fun haunted house activity, and required him to see her body in such a state. Chad needed a witness to the horrible, "tragic sudden death" and I guess Garth was the "lucky" winner of that lottery by virtue of still living there. Even seeing your loved one pass peacefully in a hospital bed can really stick in the mind forever. I just hate he had to see his mother like that.

IIRC Chad also coerced Garth into leaving the college where he was happy and thriving by claiming he had dark spirits attached to him that needed to be expelled. Chad sucks; he is far from being a "chad."
Wasn't Tammy discovered early in the morning when she was already cold? Garth would have been home from his night job by then. Chad could not have avoided involving him in some way, since he lived at home. IF Alex took an active part in her murder that night, it was likely in the late evening when his phone pinged in the vicinity and after Garth left for work. I hope Chad's trial clears up the timeline of Tammy's death, because it's confusing. (IMO)

Last edited:
I was under the impression you have to live in a county for at least a year before becoming eligible for jury duty? Does this vary by state? I don't see how getting a summons after having been there for one month is valid.

I changed my voter registration to the county where I've technically been staying in the most (college) because it's a pain to drive an hour to vote in my hometown. I have lived in the previous county my entire life...at the time my license was still registered to that county. About four months after this I got a jury summons for the county I'd "moved out" of. I can only assume this had to do with my license, but I called and got withdrawn because as much as the experience of selections would be enjoyable to me, I couldn't justify losing like a day of work just for them to kick me out because I've left for college.
I have no idea what the rules are....all I know is what she told me.

I get summoned like clockwork every two years. I just keep hoping that with the major influx of new people that I will eventually fall off their "favorites" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member