Trooper shoots deaf man

Not in NC that I am aware of. The brother is also deaf, and in this terrible time for him and his family, they want to find ways to improve the interactions between LE and deaf/mute persons. I really think they want some good to come of Mr. Harris's death, IMO, and are trying to find solutions instead of just blame.
If the driver didn't see the police cruiser lights, I do not know why he would stop the car and exit it not parked properly. That's the issue I find troubling, but cannot see why he would be shot with what has been released so far. Everyone is waiting on answers. With the baby being put in the fridge and dying, and the local homeowner who shot a teenage burglar here recently, this story isn't front page like it was yesterday. At least today I'm finally seeing national coverage.

It seems that way to me too - that they just want to prevent this from happening again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A review of public records shows a few traffic and other minor charges against Harris from other states, including two resisting arrest charges that were later dropped. Sam Harris stopped an interview when asked if those charges led to his brother's fear of police.

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/195556865-story

A review of public records shows a few traffic and other minor charges against Harris from other states, including a Denver police report that says he damaged his employer's vehicle with his own car after he was fired last year.

The incident happened in Charlotte, after a driver failed to stop when a trooper tried to pull him over for speeding, according to the State Highway Patrol. A short pursuit ensued. Then the driver, later identified by another agency as Harris, got out of his car.

That is when an “encounter took place between the driver and the trooper causing a shot to be fired,” the highway patrol said in a news release.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...per-in-north-carolina/?utm_term=.8886f77c8efd

Authorities have released few details about the shooting, including why Trooper Jermaine Saunders fired at the end of the 10-mile chase that started about 6:15 p.m. Aug. 18 when Harris did not pull over as Saunders, with blue lights on, tried to stop him for speeding on Interstate 485 near Charlotte.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article97514242.html

Daniel Harris had arrests in several states on minor charges, including three for resisting police officers. But those charges in 2010 in Florida and 2008 in Denver were dropped. He pleaded guilty to interfering with or resisting police in Watertown, Connecticut, in 2010. Details of the arrests were not available.

bbm

<modsnip>
The charges for resisting arrest that were dropped in the past... I thought immediately that perhaps those charges were dropped because they stemmed from his frustration and inability to understand what was happening due to his hearing issues. As a hearing person, I can not possibly fathom what it must be like... in general. But I imagine it is oftentimes very frustrating and confusing.

Let's all get back to discussing THIS specific case this thread is dedicated to and stop the generalized bashing of law enforcement.

:tyou:

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ex...efore-trooper-shoots-kills-deaf-man/429858803

the following happens after he had already fled when being stopped for speeding, they then bumped his car to try to stop him;

"The video shows a blue car stopped perpendicular on the exit ramp, and slightly off the roadway.A Highway Patrol trooper can be seen standing outside that car's driver side door, while shielding himself behind his cruiser.
Two other unknown men are standing in front of the blue car when suddenly, the driver of the blue car reverses the vehicle, pulls forward and then drives away.
The trooper then runs and gets back into his cruiser and continues to pursue the vehicle."

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/ex...efore-trooper-shoots-kills-deaf-man/429858803

the following happens after he had already fled when being stopped for speeding, they then bumped his car to try to stop him;

"The video shows a blue car stopped perpendicular on the exit ramp, and slightly off the roadway.A Highway Patrol trooper can be seen standing outside that car's driver side door, while shielding himself behind his cruiser.
Two other unknown men are standing in front of the blue car when suddenly, the driver of the blue car reverses the vehicle, pulls forward and then drives away.
The trooper then runs and gets back into his cruiser and continues to pursue the vehicle."

It's obvious from that video Harris knew the trooper wanted him to stop. Yet he fled the scene with total disregard for the safety of others.

I wish there would be a required sticker for the license plates of deaf/mutes. Not to single them out in a bad way but to protect their safety and the safety of others. If a fellow driver honks their horn to get their attention to warn them of a problem, they wouldn't hear. If the plates had stickers other drivers would know to flash their lights or use another method to get their attention JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back