TX - 22 killed, 26 injured at Walmart, Cielo Vista, El Paso, 3 Aug 2019 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been more mass shootings than days this year
The amount of mass shootings across the U.S. so far in 2019 has outpaced the number of days this year, according to a gun violence research group. This puts 2019 on pace to be the first year since 2016 with an average of more than one mass shooting a day.

[...]

The toll of 255 mass shootings include five high-profile massacres in the past eight days, in which more than 100 people have been shot:
  • A shooting in a historic district of Dayton, Ohio, with nine people killed and 27 injured.
  • A shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas, with 22 people killed and at least 24 wounded. It was the deadliest shooting of the year.
  • A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in the San Francisco Bay Area, with three people killed and 15 injured.
[...]

The last time the mass shooting toll topped days of the year was 2016, which had 382 mass shootings — the most in any year since the Gun Violence Archive started keeping track. The past two years came close, with 346 mass shootings in 2017 and 340 in 2018.

#MAKEITSTOP :(

I grieve for the victims and their families.
I lived in El Paso for 7 years during that time I became friends with some wonderful El Pasoans. I’m worried for our friends family members living in El Paso.

They are socially alienated and need a sense of belonging. They need a sense of community.

I do not think mental illness is much of a factor. There are mass killers who are mentally ill, but they are rare. These people are injustice collectors/grudge holders. They live a life of resentment.
Mental illness and antidepressants/SSRIs play a role in more mass shootings than people think. Being on or coming off of them messes with the brain chemistry and causes irrational thoughts and behavior compounding whatever mental issues they have along with the grudges and resentment

There have been more mass shootings than days this year
The amount of mass shootings across the U.S. so far in 2019 has outpaced the number of days this year, according to a gun violence research group. This puts 2019 on pace to be the first year since 2016 with an average of more than one mass shooting a day.

[...]

The toll of 255 mass shootings include five high-profile massacres in the past eight days, in which more than 100 people have been shot:
  • A shooting in a historic district of Dayton, Ohio, with nine people killed and 27 injured.
  • A shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas, with 22 people killed and at least 24 wounded. It was the deadliest shooting of the year.
  • A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in the San Francisco Bay Area, with three people killed and 15 injured.
[...]

The last time the mass shooting toll topped days of the year was 2016, which had 382 mass shootings — the most in any year since the Gun Violence Archive started keeping track. The past two years came close, with 346 mass shootings in 2017 and 340 in 2018.

#MAKEITSTOP :(
GVA uses different guidelines than the government uses to determine what a mass shooting is. They use four or more shot (injured/killed) where as the government uses three or more killed. A large number of what GVA terms are shootings where noone is killed. The media uses those numbers while not reporting on a large number of the shootings outside of the local area. I'd also say a lot of them are gang or drug related as well.

The same thing happens with school shootings. They take any shooting that happens on school grounds or near the school regardless of whether or not it's a student committing the shooting and then they announce there's been X amount of school shootings which raises fears and hysteria.

we must not discriminate against the mentally ill
HandsomeSailor, Having first hand experience with a severely mentally ill family member, although we have deep love, understanding and compassion for their plight, we are abundantly aware our family member can not cope with the outside pressures of life. That is not discrimination....it is awareness of their limitations! When they refuse to take their medication, then a judge has to court order Halodol injections. They can not take care of an infant. They can not drive, because they hallucinate, have audio and visual episodes that blur their reality. They get lost, lose their cell phone, approach strangers who could cause them harm. I assure you (and anyone else who takes the time to read my post) there is "no discrimination" rather it is awareness and constant accommodation for their disability. I realize there are degrees of seriousness and impairment. There should always be an evaluation and diagnosis if someone is experiencing extreme behaviors that deviate greatly from the norm. I once read that 25% of the population will experience depression at some time in their lives. But then I have to ask, "Is it depression or is it grieving?" It is OK to feel sad after losing someone or something tied to our self-esteem. The break up of a marriage, job loss, death of a family member, etc. We aren't talking about hoarders, OCD'ers, compulsive spenders, sexual/drug/alcohol addiction, anorexics/bulimics, etc. We are talking about people who deviate so severely & acutely from the norm that they become a danger to themselves or others. Is it the failure of our society to realize and vocalize openly that some forms of mental illness are worse than others that is causing undue danger for innocent citizens? Perhaps. The right of every citizen exists only to the extent it does not infringe upon the rights and safety of other citizens. No way would I sign paperwork or supply money for a severely mentally ill person to purchase an assault weapon. Would you purchase matches for a person who has a fascination for fires? Of course not. Life in the US is the best in the world, but we all have to live within the guidelines of civility. That is not discrimination, it is compassionate awareness. IQ
HandsomeSailor:) these are my opinions and not directed at anyone specifically...so posting only with love and compassion for all families. Heck, I say give tax credits to people willing to work in the field of mental health....they deserve it!!!

Last edited:
Please accept, we might have to err on the side of abundant caution, until this is all figured out. Didn't we all have to endure increased security checks to enter an airport for many years? Heck, I still have to take off my shoes and put them in a plastic container in an airport? Is that discrimination? NO! That is simply awareness and adherence to the new laws. If everyone has to go through the same rigorous examination to board a plane, then I have no problems with it. (Even if they have to pull me aside for my underwire bra and frisk me! Ugh!)

Right, he was referred by the juvenile criminal court system for counseling, court ordered, based on criminal activity.

Far different from an evaluation, not based on any specific criminal activity or behavior, and counseling recommended by the school system.

Looking at the reaction of Sue Klebold, who now is trying to do everything to spread the knowledge about teenage depression, I assume that at least the Klebolds would have brought Dylan to counseling had the school recommended it.

As to the Harrises, they have managed to avoid the spotlight. So I can not imagine how they would have responded. Eric displayed several major warning signs. Apart from the criminal court, there had been a complaint to the local PD from one of the parents - Eric allegedly vandalized a coed's car. His parents did not respond in that case. It seems that Eric was a ticking time bomb, but I am sure he played by the rules in his own house. Except for stacking up ammo and making propane bombs, of course.

However, his father was a military man, taught to obey the orders, and hence a recommendation from the school might have been taken seriously.

Yes. He said he was out to kill as many Mexicans as possible, and he drove hundreds of miles in pursuit of that goal.

I have spent a lot of time in south Texas with family and from what I've observed, all Hispanic looking people are classified as "Mexicans" by the Anglo population.

JMO, it is not about their looks or their race. It is about the feeling of ultimate control for the shooter. He decides who looks Mexican and who does not, who is to live and who, to die. It does not matter who the victims really are. The perp. probably feels god-like at that moment. (For some reason, Amon Goeth comes to mind). And it is the only moment in his life when he is in control.

Last edited:
GVA uses different guidelines than the government uses to determine what a mass shooting is. They use four or more shot (injured/killed) where as the government uses three or more killed. A large number of what GVA terms are shootings where noone is killed. The media uses those numbers while not reporting on a large number of the shootings outside of the local area. I'd also say a lot of them are gang or drug related as well.

The same thing happens with school shootings. They take any shooting that happens on school grounds or near the school regardless of whether or not it's a student committing the shooting and then they announce there's been X amount of school shootings which raises fears and hysteria.
Yeah, it drives me nuts when they inflate the numbers, because you also lose focus on the specific type of shooting that is most serious.

Stopping mass shooting involving gangs is one thing, but dealing with people who want to kill as many random civilians as possible, is another thing entirely.

You’re talking about different psychology, and a different victimology.

You can’t combat a threat if you don’t have accurate data that puts it all in perspective.

I like what the Washington Post did here, as it does just that:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.w...-mass-shooting-trends-america/?outputType=amp

Dispelling rumors that killer was lost and hungry when he came upon Walmart, he first cased Walmart on Saturday before he armed himself and went inside.

Alleged shooter cased El Paso Walmart before rampage that killed 22: Officials

Crusius who lives in Allen, Texas, approximately 600 miles from the Walmart, is being held on a charge of capital murder, court records show. Crusius, who court documents showed was unemployed for the last 5 months, made an appearance in court early Sunday morning and was ordered held without bond. He was granted a court-appointed public defender.

On Monday, law enforcement officials told ABC News that Crusius cased the Walmart, going inside on Saturday without any weapons, apparently to size up the clientele inside the store, which is about 5 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

Satisfied with what he saw among the 1,000 to 3000 people that police estimate were inside at the time, Crusius exited the store and allegedly armed himself.

He returned wearing protective ear muffs, safety glasses and wielding a high-powered assault-style rifle, according to video surveillance of him inside the store.

Police officials said he allegedly started firing indiscriminately at victims before he even walked through the front door.

El Paso Walmart shooter Patrick Crusius' father penned book about his life of drug addiction | Daily Mail Online

• Patrick Crusius' father Bryan wrote a memoir of almost 40 years of drug and alcohol addiction which he says tore apart both his marriages
  • The El Paso gunman and his twin sister Emily are Bryan Crusius' youngest children; they have an elder half-brother Austin and an elder brother, Blake
  • Crusius Sr. writes that he has been an addict for almost 40 years despite being a therapist himself saying that he suffered from alcoholism
  • He said he also took drugs including Vicodine, Quaaludes, hallucinogenics and magic mushrooms
  • He now claims to be cured after Jesus spoke directly to him and having a spiritual encounter with his grandmother Mabel
  • Book offers some insight into suspect's upbringing but does not explain the twisted racial hatred he spewed in alleged online manifesto

Dispelling rumors that killer was lost and hungry when he came upon Walmart, he first cased Walmart on Saturday before he armed himself and went inside.

Alleged shooter cased El Paso Walmart before rampage that killed 22: Officials

Crusius who lives in Allen, Texas, approximately 600 miles from the Walmart, is being held on a charge of capital murder, court records show. Crusius, who court documents showed was unemployed for the last 5 months, made an appearance in court early Sunday morning and was ordered held without bond. He was granted a court-appointed public defender.

On Monday, law enforcement officials told ABC News that Crusius cased the Walmart, going inside on Saturday without any weapons, apparently to size up the clientele inside the store, which is about 5 miles from the U.S.-Mexico border.

Satisfied with what he saw among the 1,000 to 3000 people that police estimate were inside at the time, Crusius exited the store and allegedly armed himself.

He returned wearing protective ear muffs, safety glasses and wielding a high-powered assault-style rifle, according to video surveillance of him inside the store.

Police officials said he allegedly started firing indiscriminately at victims before he even walked through the front door.
Thanks. That was ridiculous to begin with.

His manifesto clearly stated who he wished to target, and you don’t happen on that particular location by chance.

It was a target rich environment for him.

El Paso Walmart shooter Patrick Crusius' father penned book about his life of drug addiction | Daily Mail Online

• Patrick Crusius' father Bryan wrote a memoir of almost 40 years of drug and alcohol addiction which he says tore apart both his marriages
  • The El Paso gunman and his twin sister Emily are Bryan Crusius' youngest children; they have an elder half-brother Austin and an elder brother, Blake
  • Crusius Sr. writes that he has been an addict for almost 40 years despite being a therapist himself saying that he suffered from alcoholism
  • He said he also took drugs including Vicodine, Quaaludes, hallucinogenics and magic mushrooms
  • He now claims to be cured after Jesus spoke directly to him and having a spiritual encounter with his grandmother Mabel
  • Book offers some insight into suspect's upbringing but does not explain the twisted racial hatred he spewed in alleged online manifesto

His upbringing may be partially responsible for the way the monster he has turned out to be but my fear is any person can be radicalised no matter what their upbringing, home environment or income status thanks to the internet. They really need to take more action to remove the message boards etc spouting hatred and inflammatory points of view.

I am very disappointed by the announcement yesterday more needs to be done.

I don't think they have psychosis at all. The show no signs most of them. You can't really hide that.

They have defects of character. They're losers. And yes, many are indeed alt-right. Some become radical Muslims. Some are anti-government. Some racist. But while tolerance of neo-nazism and promotion of racist rhetoric can certainly provide a fuel, a lot of these types aren't really motivated by an ideology. They just find something to justify their desire to hurt others

I don't think hate speech triggers these young, entitled types. They seek it out. Some of the more disturbed, older dudes who showed paranoid behavior for years and then shot up a synagogue or whatever? I do think in those case they're different and they were triggered - their paranoia was fostered.

But these younger ones just seem to be sexually frustrated, entitled social outcasts who fester with simmering rage that they don't have what they think the should. Then they go looking for something to give them an excuse to seek revenge on the happy. IMO.

Gitana: I believe you nailed it!!!!!

Gosh, speaking of Walmart cutting staff, they cut all their senior citizen greeters who used to stand there and say hi to everyone that walked in.

I do think they may have guards now though after this.

ETA:

(They need security guards to monitor perverts that hang out in the underwear section. Just sayin.)

ewwww at your last line!

at my closest Walmart here in Canada, they have the entrance barred with one place that you have to push to get through, a monitor where you can see yourself on camera, a security guard and a Walmart employee (greeter) positioned there

I just had a thought - if there was an emergency, it would be extremely difficult to get out, esp. for anyone disabled/elderly/with a child

Quote bolded by me...I know of 2 people who were caught shoplifting at Walmart. A month or so later, both were charged with 5-7 more shoplifting charges. I was told Walmart goes back through surveillance film to see if they stole at other times. I am not sure if they find more incidents of theft on film by credit card info or by facial recognition. It will be interesting to see if the shooter/murderer had scoped out the Walmart beforehand.

if they were looking for and found shoplifting incidents, there wouldn't have been any credit card info

if they were looking for and found shoplifting incidents, there wouldn't have been any credit card info

Not necessarily. Lots of shop lifters steal expensive items, but make purchases of small items. There could be a credit card transaction as well as theft.

I avoid Walmart. Too big, too much stuff, too many people. I suppose that my online shopping has a benefit of staying safer.

Gosh, speaking of Walmart cutting staff, they cut all their senior citizen greeters who used to stand there and say hi to everyone that walked in.

I do think they may have guards now though after this.

ETA:

(They need security guards to monitor perverts that hang out in the underwear section. Just sayin.)

We still have the senior citizen greeters here. They also check your receipt on the way out if you have unbagged items.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member