Found Deceased TX - Alexis Wartena, 7, autistic, Amarillo, 19 July 2016

I saw this last night and thought for sure she would be found by morning. Where are you , honey ?

ETA Just saw the newest post :(

I was hoping in West Texas there would be no significant water nearby. I cannot believe this! Prayers!

What's this about ? http://www.kcbd.com/story/32488494/breaking-apd-officers-have-recovered-a-body-in-the-t-anchor-lake

''The Latest: Missing child case transferred to Special Crimes'''
''10:58 A.M.: Amarillo Police Department Sergeant Brent Barbee says Alexis Wartena's case will be transferred to Special Crimes, the unit responsible for investigating area homicides and child deaths. However, a positive identification on a body found at T-Anchor Lake this morning has yet to be made public.'''

Dislike ........ I thought this was a horrible accidental wandering away ....

ETA Just re read the above so hopefully that does not mean they think a ' crime' happened.

What's this about ? http://www.kcbd.com/story/32488494/breaking-apd-officers-have-recovered-a-body-in-the-t-anchor-lake

''The Latest: Missing child case transferred to Special Crimes'''
''10:58 A.M.: Amarillo Police Department Sergeant Brent Barbee says Alexis Wartena's case will be transferred to Special Crimes, the unit responsible for investigating area homicides and child deaths. However, a positive identification on a body found at T-Anchor Lake this morning has yet to be made public.'''

Dislike ........ I thought this was a horrible accidental wandering away ....

Oh oh. Maybe there were injuries not consistent with simple accidental drowning?

It said on the missing poster that when she was last seen, the only thing she was wearing was a blue pull-up diaper.......??? A diaper on a 7 year old kid ?

If she walks out of the room like that in broad daylight, in a busy area, nobody thinks to investigate it any further ? I could understand it better if she vanished after dark, but this was 3 p.m.

I don't know if I'm just dense and remedial, or if there's parts of the story missing, but I don't understand how a naked 7 year old girl can walk a 1/4 mile during the middle of the afternoon and nobody makes note of it or throws up a red flag.

It said on the missing poster that when she was last seen, the only thing she was wearing was a blue pull-up diaper.......??? A diaper on a 7 year old kid ?

If she walks out of the room like that in broad daylight, in a busy area, nobody thinks to investigate it any further ? I could understand it better if she vanished after dark, but this was 3 p.m.

I don't know if I'm just dense and remedial, or if there's parts of the story missing, but I don't understand how a naked 7 year old girl can walk a 1/4 mile during the middle of the afternoon and nobody makes note of it or throws up a red flag.

I can understand the pull up diaper on a 7 yr old, because she is autistic. And she may be too distracted to use the bathroom at times. But I agree with you that a half naked child should have been noticed, walking down the street in broad daylight.

alexis edited.jpg

See highlighted part above. Double click for full sized view.

Amarillo

Amarillo Police have recovered a body on the south side of T-Anchor Lake, behind the La Kiva Motel around 9 this morning.

Police say they saw something floating in the water about 25 feet from the shore.

Officers say a body was recovered.

A Justice of the Peace has been notified.

More information will be put out by police once it is available.

Police have been searching the area since Tuesday night for a seven year-old girl.

According to police, they were called to the Kiva Motel after seven year-old Alexis Wartena was reported missing around 5:00 p.m.

Police have not confirmed if the body is that of the little girl.

They do say, next of kin has been notified.

http://www.myhighplains.com/news/body-recovered-from-t-anchor-lake

It's bound to be her..........maybe her folks went to sleep for awhile and she snuck out......I don't know.

It's bound to be her..........maybe her folks went to sleep for awhile and she snuck out......I don't know.

The parents have five kids with them and lost sight of Alexis for a moment. Nothing fishy abut that to me. I have a 7 year old, who thankfully is not nor has ever been a wanderer. Yet I lot sight of him for literally a moment one time and he was GONE. I turned around to make sure my car was locking because my remote didn't work too well. In that moment he just vanished. Thankfully it was because he was playing hide and seek, but I didn't know that and I've never been that scared. It was a quiet parking lot in a quiet area with nobody around and not many places where he actually could hide.

The street drains were kind of big and I actually feared he could have fallen into one. Right before I was about to full-on freak out he peeked out from his hiding place and I saw him. I have no doubt that had he been more of a wanderer, and if he had more space to go (we were kinda blocked in by a building), he could have been gone just like that.

Don't forget that once you lose sight of them, in those seconds, you have NO idea where to look anymore. They could have gone in any direction. If you're lucky, you run after them in the right direction and you find them. Go the wrong way, the child wanders further and further and finding them gets harder and harder. You don't have to take a nap for a child to go missing... you could turn around to lock your car and they could be gone.

And like katydid23 said, a pull-up (a step 'above' a diaper) on a 7 year old autistic child is not that strange. Not to argue, but just wanted to share that.

If somebody saw her, I'd hope they would have taken note or approached her. But looking at the map, it appears she could have gone behind the hotel building almost immediately and to the water. Not a lot of guests tend to walk around hotels like that. I've stayed in quite a few just passing through. Especially at 3pm most guests would still be on the road and it's possible it wasn't all that busy. It's just tragic... IF someone saw her but just shrugged it off, that would be a horrid shame.

Oh oh. Maybe there were injuries not consistent with simple accidental drowning?

All child deaths get investigated. The only thing this news tells me is that they know it's Alexis but haven't made the official announcement to the public yet. :(

UPDATE: The Special Crimes Unit confirms the body recovered from T-Anchor Lake was that of a young female.

An autopsy has been set up for Thursday morning in Lubbock

Police have confirmed they have called off the search for Alexis Wartena.

Police say more information about the identity will be released once it is available.

I wonder what event happened to law enforcement which traumatized them to the point that they're unable to say "Yep, it's her".

Severely autistic kids often have multiple other developmental delays, but they are unique to each child.

My friend's severely autistic son is 13 and still wears pull ups

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back