GUILTY TX - Andreen McDonald, 29, found deceased, Bexar County, 1 Mar 2019 *husband arrested*

MAY 31, 2023
His attorney, John Convery, said they’re appealing the verdicts and sentences in both cases.

“In the case of manslaughter, the issues are of motion to suppress issues, evidentiary issues, and there is a deadly weapon finding. The court found that his foot was the deadly weapon and we are appealing that. Same with the tampering with evidence case,” Convery said. “Today was a status hearing. We have to purchase the record and get the record to the court of appeals and that was the reason for today’s hearing.”

A new "48 Hours" investigation is looking into the disappearance and death of millionaire businesswoman Andreen McDonald. "48 Hours" correspondent Peter Van Sant has a preview of the story, which airs Saturday on CBS and Paramount+

DEC 9, 2023

Andreen McDonald evidence
A zipper from Andreen McDonald's blouse was discovered in a burn pile in the backyard.BEXAR COUNTY DISTRICT COURTS

Andre McDonald is seen at the checkout of a Lowes store. Two red gas cans can be seen on the counter.BEXAR COUNTY DISTRICT COURTS

The items purchased included a shovel and ax, as well as a hatchet, heavy-duty large trash bags, gloves and two 5-gallon gas cans.BEXAR COUNTY DISTRICT COURTS

The handwritten shopping list Andre McDonald had on him when he was detained. It was not admitted as evidence at trial.BEXAR COUNTY DISTRICT COURTS

The torn receipt found at the McDonald house listing the items Andre McDonald had purchased from the hardware store.BEXAR COUNTY DISTRICT COURTS

*Partial:
1702185083054.jpeg
Cindy Johnson: It hurts … every night before I go to my bed, I think about her.

Bexar County Assistant District Attorneys Steve Speir, Lauren Scott and Ryan Groomer would prosecute Andre McDonald for the murder of his wife, Andreen.

But the prosecution would face an uphill battle. Despite the evidence found at the McDonald home — the hammer and the blood — the prosecution could not say for sure how Andreen died.

Lauren Scott: Because … Andreen’s body … was out in the elements in that field for all of those days … medical examiner’s office was unable to specify what exactly caused Andreen’s death.

Peter Van Sant: And does that, Steven, complicate your preparation?

Steven Speir: No, it absolutely does. … we say he caused her death; however, we don’t know how.

Peter Van Sant: If Andre murdered his wife, what do you believe was his motive?

Steven Speir: I believe it was largely because he felt emasculated … she was such a rising star, had control of these businesses … And I think he was jealous of that.

Andre McDonald, who pleaded not guilty, was represented by some of the top defense lawyers in San Antonio: John Convery, Zoe Russell and John Hunter.

Peter Van Sant: How would you respond to the notion that … what caused all this was his … envy of his wife’s success?

John Hunter: I — I don’t see any evidence of that.

Zoe Russell: Andre is a major in the Air Force. I mean, he’s incredibly successful on his own right.

Major Andre McDonald had been under house arrest since April 2021. But days before his trial was set to begin on Jan. 17, 2023, Andre, who had remained silentabout his wife’s death began telling an extraordinary story, beginning with his own mother.

Jackie Horne says her son told her Andreen’s death was an accident.

Jackie Horne: He looked at me and … he said, “Mom, I’m going to tell you the truth” … and he started to cry.

McDonald then called Andreen’s mother and sister, Cindy, who put the call on speaker phone.

Peter Van Sant: [He] … gave the family, for the first time, details of what happened according to him.

Cindy Johnson: Yes, according to him. Yes.

It was a phone call that stunned his defense team.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back