Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked all the way to the 9th.. Wonder if he got moved to another County? Is that possible?
I did search Tarrant and found nothing.
that has happened to me. that bad feeling that makes me just leave. i call it my intuition and i trust it.
Yes. Read The Gift of Fear! It's your subconscious picking up on important warnings!
If he needs to be psychiatrically assessed before his court appearance could that be the delay?
Not sure how US jails do things but if he is not mentally fit to go to court would the court put him over for a psych assessment?
Yes, theoretically that could add several months if it included some kind of treatment (IMO, recalling Lori Vallow but she was in a different state).
It might be rather difficult for him to be safely detained (or get a fair trial) in Paradise County, if it comes to that.
MOO LRR
Just FYI from a local, Paradise is a tiny city (pop. less that 500) in Wise County, which is fairly rural and just north of Tarrant County, which includes Fort Worth.

Last edited:
Hi @gitana1, thanks for coming on!

The question is: Under Texas law does Athena's killer Tanner Horner have to be indicted by the Grand Jury before he can be arraigned? Msm said he'd make a court appearance today but he's not even on the court docket. We thought it would be an arraignment where he'd make his plea.

I just saw another recent msm report that called it a "detention hearing" in the Google description (but not in the actual article).

Can you explain the process to us? I posted some Texas law info above but dang, we need a real lawyer to 'splain it to us, lol.

Thank you so much!

Shoot. You probably know more than I do about a Texas criminal procedure. But let me do a little research.

Hi @gitana1, thanks for coming on!

The question is: Under Texas law does Athena's killer Tanner Horner have to be indicted by the Grand Jury before he can be arraigned? Msm said he'd make a court appearance today but he's not even on the court docket. We thought it would be an arraignment where he'd make his plea.

I just saw another recent msm report that called it a "detention hearing" in the Google description (but not in the actual article).

Can you explain the process to us? I posted some Texas law info above but dang, we need a real lawyer to 'splain it to us, lol.

Thank you so much!

Ok. It looks like indeed, he has to be indicted by a grand jury. So they’re probably waiting for that to occur.

He would be arraigned after a criminal complaint is filed. (I didn’t see that part of your question the first go around.
I thought you wanted to know if a grand jury had to indict him or if the state could do it without a grand jury). You can’t be arraigned until a case is opened in a court. And an arrest isn’t that.

An indictment is the criminal complaint.

View attachment 384028

WISE COUNTY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) — Police are searching for 7-year-old Athena Strand after her mother reported her missing from their Wise County home Wednesday evening.

Strand's mother reported her missing around 6:40 p.m. Nov. 30. Police said she spent "about an hour" looking for her daughter before contacting the sheriff's office.

Police said Strand was last seen near the 200 block of County Road 3573 in Paradise, Texas. She was wearing a plaid jacket, jeans and boots.

Anyone with information on her whereabouts is asked to call the Wise County Sheriff's Office at 940-627-5971.

PARADISE, Texas — Multiple officials are helping a family look for a little girl that hasn't been seen since Wednesday evening in Wise County.

The county sheriff says they got a call from a mother shortly before 7 p.m. on Nov. 30. She said she had been looking for her daughter, 7-year-old Athena Strand, for about an hour.

As of 6 a.m. Thursday, the Wise County sheriff said she hasn't been found.
Athena was last seen around the 200 block of Country Croad 3573 in Paradise, Texas.

Multiple police departments, local Texas Rangers, fire departments and other are a part of the search

Anyone with information should call the Wise County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) at 940-627-5971.
Anything new?

DEC 6, 2022
[...]

Athena’s mother, Maitlyn Presley Gandy, told the crowd she was trying to remain strong for her daughter.

“She was the best little girl. She really was,” she said. “I want people to keep her face and her story alive.”

Pictures of Athena lined the stage. The little girl running, hair flying behind her. Smiling on the first day of school. Dressed in Christmas pajamas.

Athena’s first grade teacher, Lindsey Thompson, recalled Athena bringing her a present — usually a small trinket or drawing — every day. Athena loved to dance and draw and create.

“There will never be a day we don’t think about her,” Thompson said. “My heart aches because I have lost one of my babies.”

[...]

[...]

"Y'all are amazing people, and I don't know how to thank you all for all you've done for my family, especially my baby," Gandy said.

"I just want y'all to know that she was amazing and that she would truly love every single one of you because she has loved every human she has ever met."

[...]

An angel, built to represent the little girl, was also placed on the stage.

"I just want to keep her face and story alive," Gandy said. "I want everyone to know Athena for Athena, not what someone tried to make her out to be. Because she was the best little girl."

The pastor at First Baptist Church Cottondale also gave a religious message, and a member of the sheriff's office also addressed the crowd.

[...]

Gandy finished her address with a simple request: remember her daughter.

"I don't care if it's five years from now, ten years from now, or 20 years from now, remember Athena Strand," Gandy said.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member