TX - Athena Strand, 8, Abducted & Murdered By FedEx Contract Driver, Tanner Horner, Paradise, 2022 #2

@Niner
I'll reply to my own post to update the phone number for TX 271 District Court 940-627-5535

Staff Directory • Wise County, TX • CivicEngage

I spoke to M this morning who stated the reason the public doesn't know about the hearing on the murder held on 04/04/23 is due to the outcome has been sealed by the Court. Additionally, M stated that there has been no further movement on the Kidnapping charge.

CR 24559 (Murder)
04/04/2023 Order sealed by the Court

CR 24559 (Kidnapping)
03/06/2023 - No further movement. M explained only the defendant, the attorneys and the Judge know the results of the Arraignment Hearing. M said it is not sealed; however, the data can only be accessed in person by using the computer at the Clerk's Office.

Thank you for this info! I shall put these in my notes! :)

MAY 12, 2023
The mother of Athena Strand, the girl who was tragically killed late 2022, Maitlyn Gandy said her daughter would have started playing softball this semester.

So the weekend of May 13, a softball tournament is being hosted in honor of her daughter’s birthday.

“It’s been difficult, but I stay busy. That’s the only way I know how to get through things,” said Gandy.

While it’s meant for the community to have fun, Gandy says there’s a much larger goal in mind.

“This is for her birthday, but all of the funds are going to the foundation that I’m starting. It’s called Athena Strand’s Army Foundation,” said Gandy. “It’s gonna take time just like everything else, but that is the ultimate goal at the end of this is to be able to save and protect other children from suffering the way that my daughter did.”

[...]

@Niner
I'll reply to my own post to update the phone number for TX 271 District Court 940-627-5535

Staff Directory • Wise County, TX • CivicEngage

I spoke to M this morning who stated the reason the public doesn't know about the hearing on the murder held on 04/04/23 is due to the outcome has been sealed by the Court. Additionally, M stated that there has been no further movement on the Kidnapping charge.

CR 24559 (Murder)
04/04/2023 Order sealed by the Court

CR 24559 (Kidnapping)
03/06/2023 - No further movement. M explained only the defendant, the attorneys and the Judge know the results of the Arraignment Hearing. M said it is not sealed; however, the data can only be accessed in person by using the computer at the Clerk's Office.

@Niner

The court's docket looks exactly the same. What I find a bit disturbing is that Justice should be transparent. The public should know what's happening to the accused murderer, TH, of sweet Athena. The privacy afforded by sealed documents is understandable if it's harmful information that might interfere with a successful prosecution. Otherwise, I feel the public should be aware of the status of TH's case.

We need a news reporter to go to the courthouse and read the stuff on the kidnapping portion of the charges since that is publicly available for reading while at the courthouse.

"According to an autopsy report by the Dallas County Medical Examiner, Strand had blunt-force injuries to her head and neck and evidence of smothering and strangulation. The manner of death was listed as a homicide.

Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin said prosecutors are planning to seek the death penalty against Horner.

Horner was indicted on the capital murder charge, as well as aggravated kidnapping, on Feb. 16, 2023. The 31-year-old is accused of abducting and killing Strand on Nov. 30, 2022. Strand's body was found on Dec. 2.

Once inside the van, the affidavit said, Horner told police he tried to break Athena's neck -- and when that didn't work, he told police, he strangled her with his bare hands in the back of the van."
Athena Strand suspect pleads not guilty as her mother faces him for first time

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/athena-strand-murder-suspect-mother-sues-fedex-big-topspin-lawsuit-texas-wise-county/287-e765e411-5551-4e23-9a44-d1b8040335e6

FEB 21, 2023

WISE COUNTY, Texas — The mother of Athena Strand, the North Texas 7-year-old who was abducted and killed last year in Wise County, has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against FedEx, the contracting company Big Topspin, and the suspect, Tanner Horner, according to documents obtained by WFAA.

The 18-page lawsuit <> seeks “fair and reasonable” compensation for “acts and omissions” that led to the murder <>.

Horner is currently being held in the Wise County jail and has a $1.5 million bond.

Horner also faces three additional charges of sexual assault of a child, unrelated to Strand's case. Those charges stem from three incidents in 2013. It is unclear if the charges are related to the same person or three separate people.

Yes @DeDee - as I recall that court site does not give ANY info on what ALL those motions are about!

From my notes I have counted 47 motions filed - but we don't know anything about these!!

And those sexual charges are in Tarrant County - but I have access to that court site & no movement on those charges either.

2022 DEC 1 - Athena Strand went missing

2022 DEC 2 - Athena found deceased

2023 FEB 16 - TH Indicted for Kidnapping and Murder case # CR24558 & CR24559

2023 MAR 06 - TH Arraignment Hearing - Motions are filed. Sealed.

Murder Charges:

2023 MAR 08 - Order [to Seal Docs?]

2023 MAR 20 - REQUEST - Followed by 11 Motions [same date]

Motions after Motions are filed as sealed.

All Murder entries are sealed by the Court.

All Kidnapping Motions are blocked to the public but can be viewed onsite at the Courthouse.

https://jail.co.wise.tx.us/PublicAccess/CaseDetail.aspx?CaseID=10538156

It has been two months since movement for Justice on Athena's Kidnapping and Murder.

WISE COUNTY, Texas (CBSDFW.COM) Wise County District Attorney James Stainton has given notice that he intends to seek the death penalty for Tanner Horner, the man accused of killing seven-year-old Athena Strand late last year.

Horner was indicted on Feb. 16 for aggravated kidnapping and capital murder of a person under the age of 10.

https://www.cbsnews.com/texas/news/wise-county-da-death-penalty-tanner-horner-athena-strand

DeDee said:
snipped....

2022 DEC 1 - Athena Strand went missing

I have in my notes:

TX - Athena Presley Monroe Strand (7) – last seen near the 200 block of County 3573 on Nov. 30, 2022 in Paradise. Reported missing by mom @ 6:40pm on 11/30/22; found deceased along the water’s edge of the Trinity River southeast of Boyd on the evening of Dec. 2, 2022 about 9 miles from her home.

You can add that he was arrested on 12/3/22. If you are keeping a timeline!

and:

DA will seek the death penalty (12/7/22).

Yesterday was Athena's 8th birthday. To honor Athena, her family encouraged people to wear pink on Tuesday as it was her favorite color.

The so-called ‘Athena Alert’ bill would allow law enforcement to issue alerts in the region when a child goes missing, even if there is no confirmation of an abduction, which is required to issue and AMBER Alert.

Athena Strand-inspired 'Athena Alert' bill passes Texas House

@DeDee - any more updates on this case? Just going thru my oldies & wondering...

TIA if you find anything new!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Yay! I hope it's guilty pleas and do think that's what will happen. AUG 31, 2023

#JusticeForAthena

Happy early birthday! @Niner

Thanks! That would be great!

Was wondering if you can access the Tarrant County court site? It is Horner's sexual assault on child & 3 counts of sexual assault on a child. I was able to access it until about March.
The link I have is below & in the section "I want to: Find: My Court Date

Just put in his last & first name - and if nothing comes up - he does not have a current court date scheduled.

Case #s 1760265, 1760269 & 1760276

TIA if you can! :)

Thanks! That would be great!

Was wondering if you can access the Tarrant County court site? It is Horner's sexual assault on child & 3 counts of sexual assault on a child. I was able to access it until about March.
The link I have is below & in the section "I want to: Find: My Court Date

Just put in his last & first name - and if nothing comes up - he does not have a current court date scheduled.

Case #s 1760265, 1760269 & 1760276

TIA if you can! :)
When I follow your instructions and click on the "I want to:", I am taken to an error page.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back