TX TX - Austin, Redbud Trail, Whtmale, 20-35, suicide, eyeglasses, a Bible, 10-speed bicycle, May’98

djanga

Reaction score

On May 27, 1998, an employee of the local water treatment plant was driving near Redbud Trail in Austin, Texas, when he discovered the body of a man hanging from a tree. The trail is a half mile loop popular with hikers located near caves that were often inhabited by people experiencing homelessness.

The man was Caucasian, and estimated to be between 20-35 years old, approximately 6’ tall and 150-155 pounds. He had hazel eyes, slightly wavy brown hair and a full beard and mustache. His dental work had been extensive. Scars were also present on the inside of both wrists.

He was discovered wearing a green dress shirt, black Dockers pants, a camouflage hat, brown belt and black Nike sneakers. He was also wearing a Timex watch with a broken band. Other items recovered near the body included eyeglasses, a Bible, a black flashlight and a 10-speed bicycle.

His cause of death was determined to be suicide by hanging.

NamUs ID: UP8560

Date Body Found: 5/27/1998

Race: White/Caucasian

Sex: Male

Estimated Age: 20-35

Estimated PMI: 24 hours

Agency of Jurisdiction:

Travis County Medical Examiners Office
Sandra Call
512-854-9599

More Information:

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

750UMTX

TxDPS Missing and Unidentified Persons Online Bulletin

https:///wiki/Travis_County_John_Doe_(May_1998)

I know the simplest explanation is usually the answer, but I often wonder in circumstances like this (suicide), if John Doe had grown in a beard and had glasses to disguise himself?

Couldn't find much more info on Steven Lee Harbaugh, but the timeline works, as does height/weight/hair/eyes. I realize that's certainly a long way to travel, but just a thought!

There's also this guy, John Steven Conaway. The stats match, including the glasses and facial hair. But since his car is missing too, I feel like he is likely in water and there was an accident on his way home after beers with friends at the bar. But perhaps another to consider, anyway.

Last edited:
Age of this MP is older but he has inner wrist scars, similar eyeglasses, height, green eyes.

What do you think?

There's well over a decade between Haskell going missing and this Doe being found. That's a long time to live in the world without a trace.

Also, the dumping of his car at a longterm airport carpark... he could have done it himself, I suppose, but that's a move I've seen in cases before when the missing person is missing due to homicide. People are often easier to 'disappear' than a car, so they put the car amongst dozens of other cars, where it not being moved for days or weeks will never be noticed.

If you feel strongly about it, submit it. It's a close visual resemblance, and he has wrist scars. Personally, I think it more likely that Haskell wound up in a river or under cement, and not by his own doing, based on the little on Doenet, but that is just an unqualified opinion. I am just another amateur with a keyboard.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyanne
Back