GUILTY TX - Belinda Temple, 30, pregnant, Katy, 11 Jan 1999 *Guilty again in 2023*

Remembering the victim:

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Belinda Temple was loved by everyone. As a special education teacher, she touched many lives.

[..]

"People just loved her," Casey said. "She just kind of had this energy, this exuberance in the classroom. The kids loved her, her co-workers. She just had a way of connecting with people."

Her legacy is left in the lives she touched.

"She just really had a way of making good friends. A lot of people I talked to she'd known since high school and college. They kept in touch," Casey said. "A lot of them had expressed doubts about David early on, but she defended him."

8/7/19-- True crime writer remembers Belinda Temple after husband found guilty in her 1999 murder

From the quoted 4/9/23 link:

Now, about four years after his second conviction in the 24-year-old case, a jury will determine Temple's punishment.

Temple's punishment ranges from probation to life in prison. Eventually, he could be released because when he committed the crime, there was no legal option for life without parole.

Temple's attorney said he doesn't want to talk about the case before the trial.

Even after sentencing, Roe said the case is far from over.

"No matter what happens, (the case) will go back to the Court of Appeals and it will go back to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals because there's a lot of legal issues that are still being dealt with," Roe said.

Thanks for posting the updates on this. Hard to believe I started this thread nineteen years ago, and hard to believe it's been that long since Belinda was murdered. Her husband is right where he deserves to be for the rest of his life
Eeek -- can't believe it's been 19 yrs!

I trust the new jurors will get it right. I understand it was one rogue juror that caused this sentencing phase retrial but nobody listening to the evidence wants this man to walk out on time served.

New sentencing trial begins for ex-Alief high school football coach in pregnant wife's 1999 murder

But Stanley Schneider, one of David Temple's attorneys, suggested to jurors his client's guilt had not been settled and that he planned to "explore some of the police investigation."

Wait! What?!?!
I am incredulous that the defense can bring into question the GUILTY verdict.
That is NOT the purpose of this sentencing retrial.
The previous jury decided he was guilty.
THIS jury is not tasked with undoing that.
They are only to determine the appropriate sentence.
It is a GIVEN that he was found GUILTY.
If the defense wants to undo that, they can appeal THAT verdict, but it is NOT the duty of THIS jury to consider he may not have done this crime.
Granted, I have no legal background, so this is IMHO, but doesn’t this seem obvious??

New sentencing trial begins for ex-Alief high school football coach in pregnant wife's 1999 murder

Wait! What?!?!
I am incredulous that the defense can bring into question the GUILTY verdict.
That is NOT the purpose of this sentencing retrial.
The previous jury decided he was guilty.
THIS jury is not tasked with undoing that.
They are only to determine the appropriate sentence.
It is a GIVEN that he was found GUILTY.
If the defense wants to undo that, they can appeal THAT verdict, but it is NOT the duty of THIS jury to consider he may not have done this crime.
Granted, I have no legal background, so this is IMHO, but doesn’t this seem obvious??

IMO, I believe it was allowed because this was said during the defense's opening sentence which is not evidence in a trial.

Defense attorney had stated similarly to the press -- citing they are appealing the decision:

Temple's attorney said he doesn't want to talk about the case before the trial.

Even after sentencing, Roe said the case is far from over.

"No matter what happens, (the case) will go back to the Court of Appeals and it will go back to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals because there's a lot of legal issues that are still being dealt with," Roe said.

4/17/23

HOUSTON — She had a front-row seat to David Temple's life, and on Monday, she took the stand in his murder trial's sentencing phase.
Heather Scott was having an affair with Temple when he killed his wife.

They later got married. And then, divorced.

On the stand Monday, Scott told the jury that she and Temple never talked about Belinda Temple's murder despite being married for 18 years.

"This is her third time testifying, so this is not something new," Temple family spokesman Andy Kahan said.

Scott might know more about Temple than anyone, but on the stand, she couldn't remember key dates and said she was nervous.

David Temple has twice been convicted of murdering Belinda, who was pregnant at the time, in 1999 inside their Katy home. He's back in court because a jury wasn't able to agree on a sentence after his second murder conviction.

4/17/23

Scott struggled to remember dates in the months leading up to Belinda Temple's death, 24 years ago, or after. She testified, however, that the two never discussed the killing, even during their 18 years of marriage. Scott married Temple, an Alief Hastings High colleague, in 2001 — two years after his wife was killed.

Scott and other state witnesses have testified in the 178th District Court for the past week about Temple’s role in his wife’s death in order for a third set of jurors to finalize his punishment.

[..]

Jurors convicted Temple again in 2019, but a mistrial was declared as a punishment could not be agreed upon. The pandemic delayed the latest proceedings.

Testimony by Scott and others since opening statements April 10 has mirrored testimony made during the past trials.

Scott divorced Temple amid the second trial, citing a “conflict of personalities,” and returned to her maiden name, Fort Bend County court records show.

The couple met at work, where Temple was a football coach and Scott a teacher. Their affair started about three months before Belinda’s death and while she knew about his marriage to her, it was rarely discussed.
“He never talked about his wife,” Scott said.

Temple gifted her a gold necklace for Christmas and stayed the night on New Year’s Eve, telling his wife that he went hunting instead. He remained at her townhome until Jan. 2.

She told Temple on Jan. 5 that their affair needed to stop because it was inappropriate, but Temple continued to pursue her. He professed his feelings Jan. 8, and she reciprocated.

Police were called to Temple’s home Jan. 11 to investigate Belinda Temple's death. He called 911 in an emotional state after running errands with their 3-year-old son to say he found their home burglarized and her body with a gunshot wound to the head in their bedroom closet.

Temple was not charged at the time of the initial investigation.
In the month following Belinda Temple’s death, he sent Scott roses for Valentine’s Day.

During Scott’s latest testimony, she described Temple as a doting father who took his son to visit Belinda Temple’s grave. She helped raise his son, but the two did not have children of their own, she said.

Temple’s sister-in-law, Rebecca Temple, was called after Scott to testify for the defense because of a later scheduling conflict. Prosecutors from the Texas Attorney General's Office have not rested their side of the trial.

[..]

She learned of Temple’s affair and expressed disappointment to her brother-in-law. That feeling continued as she learned of his continued relationship with Scott after Belinda’s death. At one point, her husband, Temple’s brother, had a heart attack in the same room where Belinda Temple was killed, she continued.

Rebecca Temple wanted nothing to with her brother-in-law and his new bride but soon embraced the couple, she testified. Their relationship appeared to have changed him.

“I saw a man that was softer and very caring and considerate,” she said.
And she soon recognized Scott as a mother to Temple’s child, who is now in his late 20s.

“She became an amazing mom to him,” she continued.

4/17/23

HOUSTON - One of the state’s final witnesses, David Temple’s ex-wife, was called to the stand by the prosecution Monday afternoon.

[..]

There was a lot of speculation about what Scott would say on the stand now that they're no longer married. The anticipation for Scott's testimony, had the courtroom buzzing about what she would say now that she is divorced from Temple.

She testified she began having an affair with David Temple who was her colleague in late 1998 and on January 5, 1999.

Scott says she told Temple they "need to stop" the affair but three days later - three days before Belinda was shot to death, Scott says David told her, "I'm totally falling in love with you," and she told him she felt the same way.

Prosecutors say that's why Temple murdered his wife, to be with his mistress whom he married two years later in 2001. Although they divorced in 2019, Scott still didn't say anything incriminating against Temple when she was on the stand.

[..]

Scott said she and David really didn’t talk about Belinda, but she raised Belinda and David’s son Evan, who was 3 years old when his mom was killed, and testified she never spoke about Belinda with Evan either.

"I guess that's something she's going to take to her grave and that's fairly obvious when you have selective memory on answering questions," said Victim’s Rights Advocate Andy Kahan. "She felt she could answer without really getting into the answers but you name me any person walking on this planet that wouldn't want to know what happened to the person's wife whom I'm about to marry and who I been involved with."

[..]

This is the third jury tasked with deciding Temple’s fate. They are only deciding how Temple should be sentenced. The punishment range is from probation to life in prison. Closing Arguments in this punishment phase are expected late this week.

Did her testimony help or hurt him?

Prosecutors say that's why Temple murdered his wife, to be with his mistress whom he married two years later in 2001. Although they divorced in 2019, Scott still didn't say anything incriminating against Temple when she was on the stand.
^^rsbm

Scott is believed to be the motive for David to kill his wife, and Scott confirmed the affair as she did in each of the prior trials.

24 years later, justice for Belinda and Erin!

4/21/23

On Friday, jurors spent about two hours deliberating before sentencing David Temple to life in prison. He remained stoic as the judge read their decision.

"He's more resigned to it than anybody else," defense attorney Stanley Schneider said. "He's calmer than all the people care about him."

Updated: 6:22 PM CDT April 21, 2023

HOUSTON — More than 24 years after he killed his pregnant wife in their Katy home, a Houston jury took just two hours to sentence David Temple to life in prison Friday.

Jurors handed the ex-high school football coach the maximum sentence for killing Belinda Temple in 1999 when she was eight months pregnant.

During closing arguments, prosecutors said Temple wanted Belinda dead because he was having an affair with a woman he later married.

Temple’s lawyers highlighted their client’s ministry during 13 years behind bars.

“The people we met who worked with David in prison, out of prison, in the Harris County Jail said that David was special," defense attorney Stanley Schneider told jurors.

After Temple was sentenced, Belinda's brother and sister took the stand to make victim impact statements.

"Belinda was my life. It has been hell for me for the last 24 years," her twin sister Brenda Lucas said. "I have suffered from PTSD. I have felt survivor guilt. Belinda should be here."

"You're a despicable piece of trash. You call our family white trash? Look at you, David." Brian Lucas told Temple. "You completely ruined our family, you ruined your family ... I want you to think about that the rest of your life when you sit in prison and rot in hell."

DT will be eligible for parole in 17 years. Belinda's family vow to protest his release at each hearing.

Last edited:

DT will be eligible for parole in 17 years. Belinda's family vow to protest his release at each hearing.

More misery for the family to suffer at each hearing. They have been through so much and are still being rejected by Belinda’s son.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidsmith107
Back