TX - Beloved college prof revealed as killer of family in 1967

What is really odd is that there is absolutely zero info on how he conducted his personal life. Not that anyone would want to expose the name of a spouse or children. He was a professional student for almost 20 years after his murdering/annihilating his immediate family. Did he fly under the radar, 'hippie' style?. He was protected by at the very least his psychiatrist at Rusk that allowed him to live in his home with his family. It would be interesting to know the perspective of the children in that home at the time and how they feel now, in hindsight. Iirc, he hasn't had any LE interaction since his murders. Did he have a passport and travel abroad?

I was so blind-sided by this article, it was like a 'sucker punch'. Still, there remains a BAD after taste. It doesn't feel right. The fact that he inherited his family's estate/ assets, lived off his father's retirement fund, or whatever, from Southwestern. It appears as though the murders were a win/win for him, jmo.

The one thing that comes to mind was that Hemy N. was found guilty but mentally ill. Yes, Hemy wasn't almost 16 when he committed his murder, but like Jim/James, he was considered brilliant...

This case has challenged many personal opinions and beliefs I have held for many years.
First, the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. Second, if he/she did it once, they will do it again. Third, psychotic breaks are not one time events. Fourth, cold blooded killers cannot be rehabilitated. So many mixed emotions, however, intellectually and legally it is over.

There was a somewhat recent case of a college professor who killed her brother when she was still a teenager. It was ruled an "accident." She was never charged. Of course she then went on to get her PhD, became a college professor. Then killed several faculty members when she didn't get tenure.
Seems this school is risking a lot by allowing this guy to teach students.

I don't know what their retirement system there is like but I'd think, based on experience, that, since he seems to have been teaching there since the year dot, he most likely is able to retire with full benefits and a very healthy retirement salary. I would think that Millikin would be vocal to him in providing the opportunity. Of course, the university finds itself in a bit of a pickle here - probably a great many positive evaluations of his teaching have been made, in writing, in 27 years. It's with the lawyers now, I'm sure.

There was a somewhat recent case of a college professor who killed her brother when she was still a teenager. It was ruled an "accident." She was never charged. Of course she then went on to get her PhD, became a college professor. Then killed several faculty members when she didn't get tenure.

^^^ this ^^^

Here is the school's statement, paraphrased in Chronicle of Higher Education (wonder if they'll back-pedal):
The school said it “has only recently been made aware of Dr. St. James’ past. Given the traumatic experiences of his childhood, Dr. St. James’ efforts to rebuild his life and obtain a successful professional career have been remarkable.”

In its statement, the university said that St. James had over 27 years “taught a variety of courses at Millikin, served in various leadership roles and built a successful academic career, receiving academic awards including the 1997 Teaching Excellence and Leadership Award.”
http://chronicle.com/blogs/ticker/jp/millikin-u-stands-behind-professor-who-committed-1967-killings

ITA, doesn't stress (being outed) make mentally ill people worse? Would be very curious to know if he has been on medication ever since his hospitalization.

As a religious university, the conviction of forgiveness, turning the other cheek...Millikin is between a rock & a hard place. The right thing for him to do for all involved would be to retire and become an author. jmo, an autobiography might be something interesting...or NOT, idk

I seriously doubt he is, or ever was, mentally ill. JMHO

Amy Bishop.

From my limited experience with sociopaths it seems the world of academia has more than their share (most of whom do not get convicted of crimes).

Wow. From my not-limited experience with academia (full professor), plus a psych degree, I'd say that the world of academia certainly does not have a higher than average ratio of sociopaths. That pronouncement is as untrue as any of the other stereotypes that the general public has about academics, and frankly, it's pretty demeaning to those of us in the field. Eight+ years of university for a PhD, followed by the difficult job search process, and then the years-long tenure review, are not things that you can cruise through based on superficial charm and manipulating others, or with substantial, untreated mental illness or pervasive personality disorders. You know, there have been a number of "Angel of Death" serial killer nurses, but people don't go around making sweeping pronouncements about how many sociopaths go into nursing, or that nursing homes are chock-full of sociopathic employees getting away with crimes left and right. There are good and bad, sane and troubled, in every career path, and academia is no better, nor worse, than any other. Professors are far more likely to be harmed or killed by mentally ill or unstable students, than vice-versa. (There are far more students that there are professors, so statistically, you're in more danger from the student body than from academic workers. Also, while there are a zillion ways to skirt the ADA mental health rules in the academic hiring process, there are zero ways to keep a student with mental health issues out of your class, or dorm, or even to alert anyone to any possible danger or need for treatment due to HIPAA.) In the time I've been at my current school, I've had a colleague brutally murdered by a student, I've had to get a restraining order against a student who heard voices telling him I was destined to be his bride, and one of my students was arrested--while in another class--for the kidnapping and murder of a fellow student (for which he is now serving LWOP). The faculty and support staff, on the other hand, rarely do anything more dangerous than agitate for the faculty union.

ITA, doesn't stress (being outed) make mentally ill people worse? Would be very curious to know if he has been on medication ever since his hospitalization.

As a religious university, the conviction of forgiveness, turning the other cheek...Millikin is between a rock & a hard place. The right thing for him to do for all involved would be to retire and become an author. jmo, an autobiography might be something interesting...or NOT, idk

Sorry if I am off topic and may offend. I think religion (in particular, Christianity) goes too far with turning the other cheek, forgiveness, etc. If I recall, forgiveness has to be earned and not done without both sides agreeing. Forgiveness starts with repenting. Probably why they have problems we have heard in the past. I do believe in God. :rant:

Thanks for the link wtgodot,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-family-teenager--guilty-reason-INSANITY.html

In 1974, Wolcott was released from the institution after being cleared by the hospital administrator. Six years after the murders, it took a jury 10 minutes to declare James sane.

Now a free man, Wolcott inherited his slain parents' estate and received a monthly stipend from his father's pension fund. Two years later, James Wolcott legally changed his name to James St James and vanished.

Seriously! He was able to inherit from the people he murdered.

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/georgetown/douglas-benold/

IDK, maybe it's me but I see nothing that would qualify the Dr. to declare someone insane or sane for that matter.

It reminds my some of Graham Young who killed his stepmother when he was 14 and was sent to a mental facility. He was pronounced "cured" and released when he was in his early 20s and, in his case, went on to become a serial killer. Ed Kemper followed the same pattern as Young; killing his grandparents when he was 15 - mental hospital - release as "cured" - serial killer. I don't see how these sorts can ever be trusted.

I am well in the minority here but i think this is a case of kid makes good. He was insane or temporarily insane (and neither of them have to be lifelong conditions), was released after therapy and meds and has lived a good life helping students ever since.

It reminds my some of Graham Young who killed his stepmother when he was 14 and was sent to a mental facility. He was pronounced "cured" and released when he was in his early 20s and, in his case, went on to become a serial killer. Ed Kemper followed the same pattern as Young; killing his grandparents when he was 15 - mental hospital - release as "cured" - serial killer. I don't see how these sorts can ever be trusted.

How can you compare them? This guy hasn't put a step wrong since he was released.

Thanks for the link wtgodot,

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-family-teenager--guilty-reason-INSANITY.html

In 1974, Wolcott was released from the institution after being cleared by the hospital administrator. Six years after the murders, it took a jury 10 minutes to declare James sane.

Now a free man, Wolcott inherited his slain parents' estate and received a monthly stipend from his father's pension fund. Two years later, James Wolcott legally changed his name to James St James and vanished.

Seriously! He was able to inherit from the people he murdered.

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/georgetown/douglas-benold/

IDK, maybe it's me but I see nothing that would qualify the Dr. to declare someone insane or sane for that matter.

I think there should be a law enacted preventing anyone found guilty of murder from collecting an inheritance from the murder. Why should we continue to allow this "incentive"?
Just like if you commit suicide, your heirs can't cash in on the insurance policy.
Same deal...

Just like if you commit suicide, your heirs can't cash in on the insurance policy.
Same deal...

Weird. I just replied to a post saying the exact same thing on another forum a few minutes ago.

Will just copy/paste my comment instead of retyping it:

Regarding it voiding one's life insurance policy, that only applies the first two years of the policy in most states (the insurance companies can't change the exclusions if they exceed the state law). During the first two years suicide or dying with a previously undisclosed pre-existing condition will void the policy (even if the undisclosed health issue had nothing to do with the death, they will look for ways to get out of paying in the first two years of a policy). After 2 years the policy must pay out regardless even if it was obviously suicide and even if the the person lied about everything when they bought the policy.

I recently bought life insurance and looked into all of this. Also after 2 years small policies are often contested by the insurance company simply because they know that no lawyer will take on the case if the payout is only 5 grand or so.

Thanks for sharing that info, Sonya.........very important stuff indeed.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janewiththedogs
Back