TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure if anyone has started a thread on this yet.

Officer fatally shoots man after entering wrong apartment 'believing that it was her own': Police

Admins please moved if needed

From above:

“This investigation is ongoing and we will release additional details as they become available and it is appropriate to do so," police said in the statement.

The Dallas County District Attorney's Office said they do not have any additional information to release at this time, and the Dallas Police Department did not immediately respond to ABC News' request for comment.“

thank you for Starting this, his name is Botham Jean, and by all accounts a really great guy (I did not know him) Honestly though HOW do you not know you are in the wrong apt ....are they all so standard that they look the same at the entrance .....off to answer my own question...I will report back

How did she get in?? Would you not use a key? I guess this poor man did not have his front door locked. I truly think the officer was impaired in some way whether alcohol,drugs, or extremely fatigued. No excuse for shooting!
there you go the Key was the issue I had when I was watching the news this morning NO ONE BUT NO ONE leaves their door open down there ( seriously ) it a upscale apt , in a neighborhood that's trying to be more upscale but crime and theft , mostly theft are really rampant in that area ! NO way would I have an unlocked door there!

"A Dallas police officer will be charged with manslaughter after she walked into an apartment she mistakenly believed was her own on Thursday night and shot and killed the 26-year-old man who was inside, Chief Renee Hall said."

Dallas officer who fatally shot a man will be charged with manslaughter, police say

"According to DPD media relations Sgt. Warren Mitchell, the officer, who has yet to be identified, had just returned to her apartment complex just blocks from Dallas police headquarters. She was in uniform and had just completed a "full shift," according to DPD."

botamshemjeanearljeanviafacebok.jpg

Botham Shem Jean
Earl Jean via Facebook
"After entering Botham Shem Jean's apartment, the officer shot him at least once. Responding police officers unsuccessfully tried to save Jean's life."

Man Shot, Killed by Off-Duty Dallas Cop Who Walked Into the Wrong Apartment

"A Harding University graduate from St. Lucia was fatally shot by Dallas police on Thursday night after an officer entered his apartment, mistaking it for her own, authorities said.

"Friends and former classmates expressed shock Friday upon learning of Botham Shem Jean’s death, remembering the 2015 accounting graduate for his deep faith and his “beautiful” and “powerful” singing voice."

"Jean worked at PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas."

Fatal mistake: Harding graduate known for his 'beautiful' singing voice killed | The Christian Chronicle

Strange case. I know fatigue can be dangerous while driving, similar to being drunk. Entering the wrong apartment seems possibly if very tired or distracted, but wouldn’t she have quickly realized the furniture was different? Poor guy, what a tragedy for him and his family. Why are cops put on administrative leave pending an investigation instead of arrested like us civilians? Honestly asking.

Dallas police seek manslaughter warrant against officer who killed neighbor

"Somebody has to be crazy not to realize that they walked into the wrong apartment," Allie Jean said. "He's a bachelor. Things are different inside."

"And if you try your key and it doesn't work, that should make you realize you're at the wrong apartment," she added. "Every door for each apartment is also numbered."

BBM : THIS!!!!!

I will admit that I have mistakenly tried to open a neighbour's door with my key. I was very, very tired and got out of the elevator on the wrong floor. I panicked, thinking someone had messed with my lock, then twigged what I'd done. I was mortified. However, had the door opened, I would have known immediately that I was in the wrong place. Different flooring, different smell, something would tell me before I set foot inside.

Strange case. I know fatigue can be dangerous while driving, similar to being drunk. Entering the wrong apartment seems possibly if very tired or distracted, but wouldn’t she have quickly realized the furniture was different? Poor guy, what a tragedy for him and his family. Why are cops put on administrative leave pending an investigation instead of arrested like us civilians? Honestly asking.
In this case, its a good question. But regardless, I understand she has now been charged with manslaughter. So that was pretty quick. I just read this article where neighbors said they heard a lot of commotion and someone yelling "open up, open up" first. Interesting. May be more to this.

Dallas officer charged after shooting man in wrong apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member