TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Combination of #2 and #5 - I believe Caleb planned to hook up with someone and sent the snap to to the wrong person, meaning to send it to the person he was supposed to meet. Possibility of the names being similar? Same first name?
THEORY: Building on this, was the photo of the bridge he was sending intended as a meeting place or an identifying marker (which got to the wrong person, based on what you wrote)?

THEORY: Building on this, was the photo of the bridge he was sending intended as a meeting place or an identifying marker (which got to the wrong person, based on what you wrote)?
The picture was sent to a friend with a caption that was an inside joke. I don’t believe that Snap was sent as a mistake or to the wrong person. Total red herring.

I think you bring up a really interesting point - and in my mind, it's where I keep feeling as if I need an explanation. I realize that college students do not keep regular schedules. However, many of them do use stimulants of various kinds (Source: q'naires given to over 2000 of my own students in the past 7 years). I am including lots of coffee, but frankly, it's often something else as well.

OTOH, Caleb is at an age where such illnesses as bipolar first begin their slow ramp-up.

And, some people just generally don't sleep much. But that's three different hypotheses (and the people who don't sleep much may be experiencing some cognitive changes as a result).

There is other research that shows that exam time is exceptionally stressful for college students. A large survey at my own college replicated the national stats: lots of anxiety and depression; 1 out of 6 of our students said they had contemplated suicide in the past 3 months. 1 out of 15 had considered a specific method of suicide. Even more students reported anxiety or panic attacks.

So I guess my initial impressions always go towards mental health and cognitive functioning of the missing person. If in fact Caleb was having trouble sleeping (for whatever reason), after putting the dog back in the apartment, what did he do next?

Some here on this thread seem to think if's useful to consider that the bridge report was accurate - others think it might be in error. There is a large body of water nearby. Statistically, the literature on missing persons indicates that for young males, bodies of water are a leading risk. Lots of other cases we've covered here have that component (or the still-missing went missing near a body of water).

Riley Strain
(MO)

Owen Klinger
(OR)

Plus that case where the frantic young man contacted his parents by phone, where first he said he was in the middle of nowhere, lost, and his GPS did place him near a river. He utters a last expletive as he apparently goes into the water.

We know that Caleb loved being near the water, we know he seems to have slept less than many of us do.

All just IMO and musings.
Very well said.

Yes - I think he was trying to show the person meeting him where to pick him up, but sent it to the wrong person. That said, makes the caption even more relevant, as it sounds like a quip that is meant for someone that is in on the joke, whatever that is. Not something you would send someone you don't know, Kind of like "yeah...look for the drunk guy standing by the bridge."

Yes - I think he was trying to show the person meeting him where to pick him up, but sent it to the wrong person. That said, makes the caption even more relevant, as it sounds like a quip that is meant for someone that is in on the joke, whatever that is. Not something you would send someone you don't know, Kind of like "yeah...look for the drunk guy standing by the bridge."
"3:03 a.m.: Harris sent a Snapchat photo to a high school friend who lives in San Antonio. That photo showed "a small bridge over a drainage ditch on the 1900 block of Ennis Joslin, within a few hundred feet of the entrance to his apartment complex."

It's Mother's Day today, and I can't help but think about all the moms out there like Caleb's mom, missing their kids. I just can't even imagine the worry and heartbreak they suffer every night, every day, every hour, every minute.

Someone knows what happened. I hope the family gets answers soon. Bring Caleb home.

It's Mother's Day today, and I can't help but think about all the moms out there like Caleb's mom, missing their kids. I just can't even imagine the worry and heartbreak they suffer every night, every day, every hour, every minute.

Someone knows what happened. I hope the family gets answers soon. Bring Caleb home.
But the someone who knows what happened is likely the perpetrator, who doesn’t want anyone to know. I feel for Caleb’s mom on Mother’s Day. :(

But the someone who knows what happened is likely the perpetrator, who doesn’t want anyone to know. I feel for Caleb’s mom on Mother’s Day. :(
True. IMOO it takes a special kind of evil to harm, hide or kill another person and not show any signs of changing behavior after. I guess I am hoping the perpetrator has shown some signs of their actions, or confessed something to someone, either irl or online, and that that person speaks up. I think for the family and loved ones the not knowing and infinite uncertainty must be the worst.

Plus that case where the frantic young man contacted his parents by phone, where first he said he was in the middle of nowhere, lost, and his GPS did place him near a river. He utters a last expletive as he apparently goes into the water.

We know that Caleb loved being near the water, we know he seems to have slept less than many of us do.

Respectfully SBM, BBM.

Very interesting post... and ah yes.. Brandon Swanson.... a case I've followed and never forgotten.

Thanks for your insight.

What you say makes a lot of sense. While exams are important, Colleges need to come up with better ways of testing. The amount of stress and anxiety the traditional exam structure generates is unhealthy.

Perhaps. What I see is that we're turning out grads who have no applicable or useful skills, having evaded most learning and all attempts to test them.

As it is, right now, IMO the vast majority of professors are giving open book exams or essay exams, announced on the first day of class, heavily coached throughout the semester, and, the student does it online, on their own time. Increasingly using Chat GPT. At least that's true where I teach and where my friends teach.

Still, the very good students get very anxious. It's always been that way. There's a name for the psychological effect, but the top students are always more self-critical and think they're getting a B or C (or worse) and the students who don't study at all often say the class is "easy" and that they are getting an "A" (they are not).

At any rate, traditional exams do still exist in STEM subjects, although even there, the closed book, in-class exam is almost a thing of the past.

Ultimately, students do face tests (licensure, for grad school, etc) and so many are unprepared.

Do we know what Caleb was majoring in? I guess I keep coming back to school as a focus because, well, he had an exam the next day and he was up very late at night, still interacting with roommates and dog. It's true he could also have been studying, taking little breaks, etc. If very tired and preoccupied, he was at risk for various things (an accident, interactions with bad actors).

IMO.

if by this you mean potentially sex trafficking - as thats how i took it, please correct me if i am wrong - this really isn't how ST would be initiated

CH's interest in environmental causes might have led him to run afoul of wildlife smugglers or illegal fishing operations

Other much less likely: drug ring, theft ring, buying alcohol for an underage party, immigrant smuggling, prescription drug fraud ring...

(I still think mischance, probably falling in water, and his body just hasn't been recovered, with a very slight chance that he left to live an alternate lifestyle.)

Perhaps. What I see is that we're turning out grads who have no applicable or useful skills, having evaded most learning and all attempts to test them.

As it is, right now, IMO the vast majority of professors are giving open book exams or essay exams, announced on the first day of class, heavily coached throughout the semester, and, the student does it online, on their own time. Increasingly using Chat GPT. At least that's true where I teach and where my friends teach.

Still, the very good students get very anxious. It's always been that way. There's a name for the psychological effect, but the top students are always more self-critical and think they're getting a B or C (or worse) and the students who don't study at all often say the class is "easy" and that they are getting an "A" (they are not).

At any rate, traditional exams do still exist in STEM subjects, although even there, the closed book, in-class exam is almost a thing of the past.

Ultimately, students do face tests (licensure, for grad school, etc) and so many are unprepared.

Do we know what Caleb was majoring in? I guess I keep coming back to school as a focus because, well, he had an exam the next day and he was up very late at night, still interacting with roommates and dog. It's true he could also have been studying, taking little breaks, etc. If very tired and preoccupied, he was at risk for various things (an accident, interactions with bad actors).

IMO.
CH was majoring in Environmental Science.

I think you bring up a really interesting point - and in my mind, it's where I keep feeling as if I need an explanation. I realize that college students do not keep regular schedules. However, many of them do use stimulants of various kinds (Source: q'naires given to over 2000 of my own students in the past 7 years). I am including lots of coffee, but frankly, it's often something else as well.

OTOH, Caleb is at an age where such illnesses as bipolar first begin their slow ramp-up.

And, some people just generally don't sleep much. But that's three different hypotheses (and the people who don't sleep much may be experiencing some cognitive changes as a result).

There is other research that shows that exam time is exceptionally stressful for college students. A large survey at my own college replicated the national stats: lots of anxiety and depression; 1 out of 6 of our students said they had contemplated suicide in the past 3 months. 1 out of 15 had considered a specific method of suicide. Even more students reported anxiety or panic attacks.

So I guess my initial impressions always go towards mental health and cognitive functioning of the missing person. If in fact Caleb was having trouble sleeping (for whatever reason), after putting the dog back in the apartment, what did he do next?

Some here on this thread seem to think if's useful to consider that the bridge report was accurate - others think it might be in error. There is a large body of water nearby. Statistically, the literature on missing persons indicates that for young males, bodies of water are a leading risk. Lots of other cases we've covered here have that component (or the still-missing went missing near a body of water).

Riley Strain
(MO)

Owen Klinger
(OR)

Caleb apparently used caffeine. In the UE order that was left at the front door there were 2 Red Bulls. Other than that and maybe some drinking he didn't seem to be much of a drug user.

IMO.
I thought that his dad said, in the Coffindaffer interview, that CH had a class at 10 or 11 the next day- not an exam, just a class, and that he believed that the arrival of the dog was a "special event" and that was why the room mates were up later than usual. (of course some believe that the parents knew little of CH) but the thought was up at 3 a.m., you could sleep 6-7 hrs and go to a 10 or 11 a.m. class.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacklakemermaid
Back