TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps. What I see is that we're turning out grads who have no applicable or useful skills, having evaded most learning and all attempts to test them.

As it is, right now, IMO the vast majority of professors are giving open book exams or essay exams, announced on the first day of class, heavily coached throughout the semester, and, the student does it online, on their own time. Increasingly using Chat GPT. At least that's true where I teach and where my friends teach.

Still, the very good students get very anxious. It's always been that way. There's a name for the psychological effect, but the top students are always more self-critical and think they're getting a B or C (or worse) and the students who don't study at all often say the class is "easy" and that they are getting an "A" (they are not).

At any rate, traditional exams do still exist in STEM subjects, although even there, the closed book, in-class exam is almost a thing of the past.

Ultimately, students do face tests (licensure, for grad school, etc) and so many are unprepared.

Do we know what Caleb was majoring in? I guess I keep coming back to school as a focus because, well, he had an exam the next day and he was up very late at night, still interacting with roommates and dog. It's true he could also have been studying, taking little breaks, etc. If very tired and preoccupied, he was at risk for various things (an accident, interactions with bad actors).

IMO.
I still wonder.. was he really still going to class? Perhaps dropped out, just going through the motions of going to class, and he knew the jig would soon be up and he'd have to come clean that he had dropped out? Are we SURE he was still going to classes????

I still wonder.. was he really still going to class? Perhaps dropped out, just going through the motions of going to class, and he knew the jig would soon be up and he'd have to come clean that he had dropped out? Are we SURE he was still going to classes????
It is actually quite unique in that we know nothing about this young man other than what his parents and representatives have put out, other than what we have been able to find out via sleuthing. No friends doing interviews. No brothers, sisters, cousins, neighbors. Nothing. The one thing we do know is that he wasn't 100% exactly who is parents thought he was or wish he was.

Interesting point. It is the time of year when these kinds of things come home to roost for many students. And I did have the same thought.

OTOH, the fact that he ordered his lunch for the next day makes me think he planned to still be around.

This is a truly mystifying case.

I thought that his dad said, in the Coffindaffer interview, that CH had a class at 10 or 11 the next day- not an exam, just a class, and that he believed that the arrival of the dog was a "special event" and that was why the room mates were up later than usual. (of course some believe that the parents knew little of CH) but the thought was up at 3 a.m., you could sleep 6-7 hrs and go to a 10 or 11 a.m. class.
Well, 6 hours of sleep, anyway. But he doesn't come home to sleep. He's still out at 3 am, apparently.

I must have misread here - I thought there was an exam. It would seem that his roommates definitely expected him to be sleeping and knew his schedule well enough to note that when his food was still outside at 11 am, something had gone very wrong. His phone goes down at around 3 am, so I'd think he'd head back home at that point.

What I'd love to know is how well-charged his phone was before he headed out after leaving the dog at the residence. Did he power it down? Put it on airplane mode so as not to be tracked (by whom??) Someone else took his phone and shut it off to avoid detection of the theft of the phone?

So many questions.

IMO.

In recent years there have been quite a few stories about college students being overwhelmed, dropping out, and afraid to tell their parents.

It is actually quite unique in that we know nothing about this young man other than what his parents and representatives have put out, other than what we have been able to find out via sleuthing. No friends doing interviews. No brothers, sisters, cousins, neighbors. Nothing. The one thing we do know is that he wasn't 100% exactly who is parents thought he was or wish he was.
Have we ever heard if Caleb has brothers or sisters? I cannot remember

We may not have this information, but LE has probably obtained this information from the school as part of their investigation. His educational records etc. are protected by FERPA, but LE can access with a warrant.

Have we ever heard if Caleb has brothers or sisters? I cannot remember
He sent his sister a photo of the dog the night he disappeared, she was one of the people he was in contact with when he went out to walk the dog, IIRC. His father said they would often go fishing together, sometimes wade fishing near the apartment. Other than that, we don't know and we are not allowed to search family members, per WS TOS.

We may not have this information, but LE has probably obtained this information from the school as part of their investigation. His educational records etc. are protected by FERPA, but LE can access with a warrant.
I think this would have come out, as it’s come out in many other cases I’ve followed or read about.

It’s an important detail that would require a direct appeal to Caleb, as kids like that can be suicidal.

I remember once case where the family was about to attend their son’s graduation, and we quickly learned that he was not graduating. The family begged for him to come home, but he had already jumped off a bridge.

I was leaning towards a scenario like that when this story first broke, but dropped it once nothing to that effect was verified.

I think this would have come out, as it’s come out in many other cases I’ve followed or read about.

It’s an important detail that would require a direct appeal to Caleb, as kids like that can be suicidal.

I remember once case where the family was about to attend their son’s graduation, and we quickly learned that he was not graduating. The family begged for him to come home, but he had already jumped off a bridge.

I was leaning towards a scenario like that when this story first broke, but dropped it once nothing to that effect was verified.
I don't disagree with you. I think if he had dropped out or was struggling in school etc., it would have come out already. I was mostly just trying to say that I'm sure LE looked into that as a possibility and investigated that angle.

I have just caught up on this case and to be honest, what is being discussed about his "hook up", etc has not even been mentioned or verified by any police, etc. This thread has examined his life like there has been info out there that he did these activities. I may have missed something, if so apologizes. As for his parents not knowing who he was .. how has that been established? There is a lot of "conjecture" and "speculation" in this thread. Having not visited WS in a long time, when did this become the norm. It seems his "hooking up" has become that this is what happened? Where did that come from. Help me understand it please and thank you

In the beginning of this case, it struck me that this might have been a scenario that was very carefully choreographed by Caleb himself. From his inviting his mother down for a visit 2 days prior, to all of the dog videos, photos to his dad of his fishing equipment and what lures he was to use, ordering food for this trip, signing a new lease on his apt., the foggy bridge photo, smiling into that ring camera as if to say, "everything's just perfect". Then his phone either dies or he powered it off and he disappears. Caleb knows the area, the water, where to go if he wanted to be alone.

I had an uneasy feeling when the CCPD announced recently to remind the public to report any new sightings of Caleb. Does this mean that the digital footprint went nowhere? I don't know. Or was the CCPD just trying to keep the public busy while they continue to follow leads?

Thank you. So it's not been confirmed that this man was trying to hook up with anyone. It's not been confirmed that the Reddit was real. The police have given no info that that understanding yet, the whole thread seems to be about him hooking up with someone?

I hope his parents have not been reading here. As a mother who lost her son to a sudden death .. I find this whole thread disturbing. None of what is being said has even been discussed by the police, or authorities but it seems its allowed to be discussed as facts.

So I am affiliated with another university in the Texas A&M system... a professor engaging in any kind of relations with an undergraduate student would be grounds for dismissal from their job. It's against system policy. Not to mention, this is Texas. While people are becomming more accepting, we still have a LONG way to go in this regard. If he was married, it could also be a problem.
Being right down the road from Austin are you aware of what I'll refer to as The Open Secret? I can't say more than that but it is not easy to dismiss a professor.

IMO CH wasn't involved with a professor. There really isn't any evidence of that.

I think it is something much more nefarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rypie15