TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you. So it's not been confirmed that this man was trying to hook up with anyone. It's not been confirmed that the Reddit was real. The police have given no info that that understanding yet, the whole thread seems to be about him hooking up with someone?

I hope his parents have not been reading here. As a mother who lost her son to a sudden death .. I find this whole thread disturbing. None of what is being said has even been discussed by the police, or authorities but it seems its allowed to be discussed as facts.
It is just the opinion of many after analyzing the few facts in this case and following the data from the phone. Think of it more as a discussion of a possibility.

Many other scenarios are discussed as well. I have read the entire thread. It is unfortunate that the scent dogs came to late to track CH. The scene was a very busily used area. That could have really helped especially if the dogs hit an his scent and could track it to where it ended.

The Abby and Libby thread was like that too. And we know how that ended.

I have just caught up on this case and to be honest, what is being discussed about his "hook up", etc has not even been mentioned or verified by any police, etc. This thread has examined his life like there has been info out there that he did these activities. I may have missed something, if so apologizes. As for his parents not knowing who he was .. how has that been established? There is a lot of "conjecture" and "speculation" in this thread. Having not visited WS in a long time, when did this become the norm. It seems his "hooking up" has become that this is what happened? Where did that come from. Help me understand it please and thank you
@EyeCandy everything I'm about to say is JMO.

In a case as baffling as this one, wherein a 21-year-old man, an affable-seeming, strapping young college student, appears to have literally vanished without a trace, I think conjecture and speculation become natural in the vacuum that is created by scant information.

That includes scrutinizing all manner of social media platforms in hopes of turning up something, anything. One platform in particular appeared to have an account some believed belonged to Caleb. As of today, to the best of my knowledge, law enforcement has made no comment, let alone confirm or deny, about the account. No matter, the "discovery" of the account and its NSFW content are in large part, IMO, what gave rise to the "hookup-gone-wrong" theory. It seems to be the most popular theory, maybe because it's easier for people to imagine than other things.

IMO, conjecture and speculation haven't become the norm on WS. Rather, I honestly think what you're seeing is many minds looking for patterns, looking to impose  some rational explanation for how Caleb Harris could have disappeared on March 4th. During the first couple of days after he vanished, a handful of facts became known, but since then, nothing new, of material importance, has emerged. That, in and of itself, seems bizarre, at least to me.

I'm not saying there are no new facts; I'm saying if there are, we, the public, don't yet know them.

I think human minds are designed to figure things out, sometimes even at the expense of rational reasoning. This case is testing me, for sure.

My own view is that it's statistically most likely that he had some kind of misadventure, given the drinking, the hour, and the sleeplessness (regardless of the reason for the sleeplessness).
And it was not super close to the apartment nor was it a car vs pedestrian kind of thing. The depth of the bay notwithstanding, the Harbor Bridge. The local officials noted that the bridge had regularly been used as a suicide point - so depth of water isn't an issue when jumping into the Bay from a high bridge. Source linked below:

They've put up signs there.

I am not suggesting that Caleb went to that bridge or anything like that - just saying that two statistical probabilities seem more likely. One would be accidentally falling. For example, what if Caleb wanted to visit some choice shoreside parks, suitable for future fishing? But miscalculated in some way.

Or, maybe he decided to go for a swim? Skinny dipping due to being happy and semester almost over?

Stuff like that.I just know that when there is a big expanse of water nearby, the water is my main suspect.

All IMO. And in case it hasn't been posted, here's an MSM link quoting Caleb's dad about a witness seeing Caleb "under the bridge" (Which bridge?) 45 minutes or so after that last (anomalous) phone ping.

The closest "bridge" is a highway overpass. I wish the article was clearer and that the dad had revealed a bit more.

Last edited:
(snipped)

Stuff like that.I just know that when there is a big expanse of water nearby, the water is my main suspect.

Mine too. It just happens so often. It could be something else, of course, and there's certainly information pointing other directions, but...we'll see, I guess. Hopefully answers soon.

... So it's not been confirmed that this man was trying to hook up with anyone. It's not been confirmed that the Reddit was real. The police have given no info that that understanding yet, the whole thread seems to be about him hooking up with someone?

I hope his parents have not been reading here. As a mother who lost her son to a sudden death .. I find this whole thread disturbing. None of what is being said has even been discussed by the police, or authorities but it seems its allowed to be discussed as facts.
There's nothing wrong with hooking up (with men or women; gay, straight, etc). It's not a judgment. It's natural. It's not intended as a disparagement of character. Whether or not it happened is up for debate. But it leans towards one of the likelier explanations, which is why it's discussed.

Again, there is nothing wrong with hooking up and it doesn't reflect negatively on a person's character. Suggesting it does is judgmental, however. JMO.

My own view is that it's statistically most likely that he had some kind of misadventure, given the drinking, the hour, and the sleeplessness (regardless of the reason for the sleeplessness).
And it was not super close to the apartment nor was it a car vs pedestrian kind of thing. The depth of the bay notwithstanding, the Harbor Bridge. The local officials noted that the bridge had regularly been used as a suicide point - so depth of water isn't an issue when jumping into the Bay from a high bridge. Source linked below:

They've put up signs there.

I am not suggesting that Caleb went to that bridge or anything like that - just saying that two statistical probabilities seem more likely. One would be accidentally falling. For example, what if Caleb wanted to visit some choice shoreside parks, suitable for future fishing? But miscalculated in some way.

Or, maybe he decided to go for a swim? Skinny dipping due to being happy and semester almost over?

All IMO. And in case it hasn't been posted, here's an MSM link quoting Caleb's dad about a witness seeing Caleb "under the bridge" (Which bridge?) 45 minutes or so after that last (anomalous) phone ping.

The closest "bridge" is a highway overpass. I wish the article was clearer and that the dad had revealed a bit more.
That was my main theory starting out, but it doesn’t explain the way this is being handled, which appears to not only be a criminal investigation, but has a task force assembled to investigate it (FBI, Marshals, Rangers, etc).

You just don’t see that unless there is evidence of a crime.

I do believe that social media account is his, but don’t believe it’s directly connected to what happened. Rather, I believe it tells us what he was quietly doing.

I remember when the Mackenzie Lueck situation blew open, and that was because she told her friends about what she was doing (sugar baby thing). I think the complication here is that Caleb didn’t confide in anyone that he was meeting up with people, and how he was doing it.

If this is what I think it is, it’s not only an incredible outlier, but may be unprecedented.

There’s always a trace, and relatively quick answers. I’ve never seen anything like this.

That was my main theory starting out, but it doesn’t explain the way this is being handled, which appears to not only be a criminal investigation, but has a task force assembled to investigate it (FBI, Marshals, Rangers, etc).

You just don’t see that unless there is evidence of a crime.

I do believe that social media account is his, but don’t believe it’s directly connected to what happened. Rather, I believe it tells us what he was quietly doing.

I remember when the Mackenzie Lueck situation blew open, and that was because she told her friends about what she was doing (sugar baby thing). I think the complication here is that Caleb didn’t confide in anyone that he was meeting up with people, and how he was doing it.

If this is what I think it is, it’s not only an incredible outlier, but may be unprecedented.

There’s always a trace, and relatively quick answers. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Thank you for this. If you haven't seen anything like this - that's saying something.

Thank you for this. If you haven't seen anything like this - that's saying something.
It’s hard because it’s a scenario that I just wouldn’t ever lean towards. I remember people theorizing he was abducted, and thinking to myself, “that’s absolutely idiotic.”

“Where’s the water?” That’s what I always want to know.

Males with his victimology aren’t kidnapped, it just doesn’t happen with any regularity. And when it does happen, it’s not like this.

They get drunk and fall in water. They take something or have a mental episode and succumb to exposure. They commit suicide.

They don’t get lured and kidnapped, disappearing without a trace. Not now with cell phone technology and surveillance cameras everywhere.

But that’s where I am.

It’s a very uncomfortable feeling when something that doesn’t make sense, does make sense. Or at least, the most sense.

Thank you. So it's not been confirmed that this man was trying to hook up with anyone. It's not been confirmed that the Reddit was real. The police have given no info that that understanding yet, the whole thread seems to be about him hooking up with someone?

Why would his parents be offended to read anything that’s been posted? College kids have hookups, that’s normal and natural. I suppose if anyone is homophobic, they might have a problem with it, but that’s their problem. People are theorizing, which is what this site is for.

Last edited:
It’s hard because it’s a scenario that I just wouldn’t ever lean towards. I remember people theorizing he was abducted, and thinking to myself, “that’s absolutely idiotic.”

Males with his victimology aren’t kidnapped, it just doesn’t happen with any regularity. And when it does happen, it’s not like this.

They get drunk and fall in water. They take something or have a mental episode and succumb to exposure. They commit suicide.

They don’t get lured and kidnapped, disappearing without a trace. Not now with cell phone technology and surveillance cameras everywhere.

But that’s where I am.

It’s a very uncomfortable feeling when something that doesn’t make sense, does make sense. Or at least, the most sense.
@MassGuy count me in as absolutely idiotic. :)

My opinion by day 5 was that Caleb had been grabbed by an opportunistic predator, period. It remains my opinion today because there is still no evidence to the contrary, none.

His victimology was that he was there, in the right place at the wrong time. Someone took him, drove to wherever, did whatever, killed him and dumped him who knows where. I don't think it was about Caleb at all. A predator was just out trawling in the middle of the night.

So many killers' victims had "vanished" until their bodies were found.

I know it might seem more plausible if there was a direct path from the predator to the victim, like online contact leading to a hook-up, but personally I don't need that element at all. Strangers kill strangers and crime doesn't have to be bound by statistical parameters.

JMO, and it hasn't changed in two months, no matter how much I try to maintain an open mind.

@EyeCandy I am truly sorry for your loss.
I agree with you that speculation about cases like this might be hurtful to victims' relatives sometimes.

I think in this case, some people believe there may be evidence that an actual meet-up between Caleb and an unknown person was planned. If so, I think that would probably be the reason (or part of) that he disappeared. But it is speculation.

But that’s where I am.

Do you still believe that a hook up type scenario went wrong?

Tricia’s post on the first page of this thread says, in part:

“It has not been confirmed that Caleb is posting on Reddit. However, not having the Reddit information should not stop you from discussing, in general, what could have happened to Caleb. In cases of missing persons, discussing the possibility of Caleb meeting up with someone is common and allowed. However, what is not allowed would be accusing the missing person of meeting up with someone for some random, nefarious reason without backing from law enforcement or a mainstream media source.”

====

I interpret that to mean a meeting up with someone is acceptable by WS to discuss in a general way, with no specifics to an unconfirmed account.
MOO

I think the complication here is that Caleb didn’t confide in anyone that he was meeting up with people, and how he was doing it.
Snipped^

Earlier in the thread, I was wondering about that—whether or not his roommates/long time friends knew.

I was thinking about how the roommates called the police before Caleb’s parents. It made me wonder if they knew Caleb may have had a quick meet up with someone and they were afraid to tell his parents at first, and hoped the police would locate him quickly. When that did not happen, they told his parents.
JMO

Snipped^

Earlier in the thread, I was wondering about that—whether or not his roommates/long time friends knew.

I was thinking about how the roommates called the police before Caleb’s parents. It made me wonder if they knew Caleb may have had a quick meet up with someone and they were afraid to tell his parents at first, and hoped the police would locate him quickly. When that did not happen, they told his parents.
JMO
The counterpoint is that the food he ordered was just sitting there, and Caleb wasn't anywhere to be found. So I don't have a firm opinion here.

@MassGuy count me in as absolutely idiotic. :)

My opinion by day 5 was that Caleb had been grabbed by an opportunistic predator, period. It remains my opinion today because there is still no evidence to the contrary, none.

His victimology was that he was there, in the right place at the wrong time. Someone took him, drove to wherever, did whatever, killed him and dumped him who knows where. I don't think it was about Caleb at all. A predator was just out trawling in the middle of the night.

So many killers' victims had "vanished" until their bodies were found.

I know it might seem more plausible if there was a direct path from the predator to the victim, like online contact leading to a hook-up, but personally I don't need that element at all. Strangers kill strangers and crime doesn't have to be bound by statistical parameters.

JMO, and it hasn't changed in two months, no matter how much I try to maintain an open mind.
Agreed. 100%

And the fact that this is still unresolved 2+months later, suggests a skilled/experienced perpetrator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scooby-Doo