TX TX - Caleb Harris, 21, Texas A&M University student, Corpus Christi, 4 Mar 2024 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be very hard for Caleb to get across the border to Mexico without ID and with only his phone (which has apparently been off since it powered down/died/went on airplane mode at sometime after 3 am on the night he disappeared).

Not saying it's impossible, but just finding the places where such a crossing IS possible would require an internet search. Perhaps he made one and that's why federal authorities are now involved. However I doubt that there's any trail leading to a border crossing, or we'd have heard about that.

Starting a new life in Mexico with only a cell phone and the clothes on one's back would be very difficult indeed.

IMO.

It would be very hard for Caleb to get across the border to Mexico without ID and with only his phone (which has apparently been off since it powered down/died/went on airplane mode at sometime after 3 am on the night he disappeared).

Not saying it's impossible, but just finding the places where such a crossing IS possible would require an internet search. Perhaps he made one and that's why federal authorities are now involved. However I doubt that there's any trail leading to a border crossing, or we'd have heard about that.

Starting a new life in Mexico with only a cell phone and the clothes on one's back would be very difficult indeed.

IMO.
And his father repeatedly said he didn’t believe that Caleb even wanted to get away. I would love to know what law enforcement believes.

Hey Caleb,
We haven't given up on you, okay.

I find it incomprehensible that The Cottages Apts., where Caleb lived wouldn't make damn sure the surveillance cameras were in top notch working order, especially in a university town surrounded by sex offenders.

Who is awake at 3AM on a (Foggy) Sunday night, potentially driving? Along SPID …
People who know the area well, and those that are comfortable driving in obscure conditions.
Insomniacs
On-line predators (within a 1–3-mile radius). Maybe they live in the same complex as Caleb.
Long haul truck drivers / delivery people
Taxi drivers
Security guards
City employees on call
Fishermen
Tackle shop employees (?)
Cops
University maintenance crew member
Uber drivers
Bus drivers
EMT's
Hospital staff
Hotel staff
Firefighters
Shift workers at industrial plants
Work at 24 hrs. convenience stores

Gamers
Bar staff

I can't help but feel that we are looking for a clever big fish in a relatively small pond.
Just my thoughts

Hey Caleb,

I find it incomprehensible that The Cottages Apts., where Caleb lived wouldn't make damn sure the surveillance cameras were in top notch working order, especially in a university town surrounded by sex offenders.

Who is awake at 3AM on a (Foggy) Sunday night, potentially driving? Along SPID …
People who know the area well, and those that are comfortable driving in obscure conditions.
Insomniacs
On-line predators (within a 1–3-mile radius). Maybe they live in the same complex as Caleb.
Taxi drivers
Security guards
City employees on call
Fishermen
Cops
Uber drivers
Bus drivers
EMT's
Hospital staff
Hotel staff
Firefighters

Gamers
Bar staff

I can't help but feel that we are looking for a clever big fish in a relatively small pond.
Just my thoughts
mom's with infants who don't sleep (not that I think this is a likely situation at all but I remember being desperate enough for my oldest to sleep that we drove around the neighborhood a few times at 3am)

And his father repeatedly said he didn’t believe that Caleb even wanted to get away. I would love to know what law enforcement believes.
I don't think Caleb wanted to get away, either. He ordered lunch for the next day. He was excited about going fishing. School was winding down.

Lured, catfished, etc. now comes to mind. So very sad. College areas do attract a certain kind of criminal element. Stalkers, sexual predators, crazy people who can find food in various places, ne'er do wells, etc. What's odd of course is that Caleb didn't live on campus, but might have responded to a Tinder or other app-based meet-up.

I guess I'm leaning in that direction, mostly due to his roommates calling in so quickly (they were looking out for each other, each of them was probably out late at night from time to time).

Predators who use apps do not have to be regularly awake at night - just that particular night. Caleb set off on foot and could have met someone who was also on foot. I don't think anyone literally wrestled him into a vehicle, unless he actually went some place relatively secluded. Too much risk of being caught.

IMO.

Hey Caleb,

Insomniacs
Taxi drivers
Security guards
City employees on call
Fishermen
Cops
Uber drivers
Bus drivers
EMT's
Hospital staff
Hotel staff
Firefighters

Gamers
Bar staff

Just my thoughts
Why are the last 3 seen as not feasible?

I don't think Caleb wanted to get away, either. He ordered lunch for the next day. He was excited about going fishing. School was winding down.

Lured, catfished, etc. now comes to mind. So very sad. College areas do attract a certain kind of criminal element. Stalkers, sexual predators, crazy people who can find food in various places, ne'er do wells, etc. What's odd of course is that Caleb didn't live on campus, but might have responded to a Tinder or other app-based meet-up.

I guess I'm leaning in that direction, mostly due to his roommates calling in so quickly (they were looking out for each other, each of them was probably out late at night from time to time).

Predators who use apps do not have to be regularly awake at night - just that particular night. Caleb set off on foot and could have met someone who was also on foot. I don't think anyone literally wrestled him into a vehicle, unless he actually went some place relatively secluded. Too much risk of being caught.

IMO.
Sadly, I agree with you. There are so many bad actors out there. Here’s an example from one year ago in San Antonio and of course it’s not the same guy, just an example of the lowlifes who prey on others. This instance involves gay men, but could as easily apply to straight or bisexual men. IMO, in the case of gay or bisexual men, these are sometimes hate crimes:

“A 22-year-old Texas man is accused of killing two men he met on a dating app.

Jer Auntey Pleasant was arrested on April 23 by the San Antonio Police Department’s Street Crimes Unit, police said in a news release.

He was booked into the Bexar County Jail and faces two murder charges for the April 14 and 15 killings, court records show.”

“Pleasant connected with the victims through Grindr, a dating app for gay and bisexual men, and lured them to their deaths, according to court documents obtained by KSAT.”

“Officials have not said what may have motivated the killings.”

Jer Auntey Pleasant was arrested on April 23 by the San Antonio Police Department’s Street Crimes Unit, police said in a news release.

He was booked into the Bexar County Jail and faces two murder charges for the April 14 and 15 killings, court records show.”

“Pleasant connected with the victims through Grindr, a dating app for gay and bisexual men, and lured them to their deaths, according to court documents obtained by KSAT.”
Snipped by me for focus, and thanks for this perfectly illustrative post. Bolding mine.

Look at how little time it took for LE to nab a suspect. Of course, I'm sure they had more to work with right out of the gate.

mom's with infants who don't sleep (not that I think this is a likely situation at all but I remember being desperate enough for my oldest to sleep that we drove around the neighborhood a few times at 3am)
very common from what I understand. However, now, with so many dangerous things, I'd be afraid to and would probably walk and sing or rock and sooth. But a car ride is magical I remember hearing.

Has there been any suggestion of instability? From the family, friends, or LE?

I'm just thinking of him being up all night ahead of a full day of classes and fishing. Sleeplessness can be just something you do when you're young, but it can also indicate manic episodes.

I'm thinking of Chelsea Grimm, who had odd behaviour on her road journey to a wedding and then vanished completely.

MOO
His father says no.

MAR 18, 2024
Randy says his son does not have mental health or other health-related issues. He loves his life and is planning for the future.

His father says no.

MAR 18, 2024
Randy says his son does not have mental health or other health-related issues. He loves his life and is planning for the future.
i mean... there are often times parents do not know a whole lot about their kids' true feelings

i mean... there are often times parents do not know a whole lot about their kids' true feelings
His father says no.

MAR 18, 2024

Sadly when people make the decision to self harm, they act all happy and normal as not to. Arise suspicion. This is a generalization and not aimed at anyone person. Moo

Sadly, I agree with you. There are so many bad actors out there. Here’s an example from one year ago in San Antonio and of course it’s not the same guy, just an example of the lowlifes who prey on others. This instance involves gay men, but could as easily apply to straight or bisexual men. IMO, in the case of gay or bisexual men, these are sometimes hate crimes:

“Officials have not said what may have motivated the killings.”
So here is an example where robbery was the motive, and this could easily have happened to Caleb, whether meeting up with a man or woman. It was easily traced, though…..unless there are those who have learned from reading these articles, to make it nearly impossible to trace…

Sadly when people make the decision to self harm, they act all happy and normal as not to. Arise suspicion. This is a generalization and not aimed at anyone person. Moo
That’s definitely true. Often the person is struggling to have hope, so is making plans, which the family sees. But in the back of their mind, they’re still planning suicide, which subsequently shocks everyone when it happens. Still difficult to determine, though, if Caleb was in such a state of mind.

A quick google search shows scattered news reports across the country of the Grindr app being used to lure victims to their deaths.

I have not been able to find similar articles about Reddit chat sites being used in the same way.

I wonder if Reddit is being used in the same way, and if so, is there some reason it is harder for LE to get access to Reddit records than to an app like Grindr?

Just curious, maybe I am not using the right search terms

Edited to add this is a purely speculative post, not meaning to imply that anything like this happened in Caleb’s case. Hoping and praying Caleb will be found soon and reunited with his family.

Last edited:
A quick google search shows scattered news reports across the country of the Grindr app being used to lure victims to their deaths.

I have not been able to find similar articles about Reddit chat sites being used in the same way.

I wonder if Reddit is being used in the same way, and if so, is there some reason it is harder for LE to get access to Reddit records than to an app like Grindr?

Just curious, maybe I am not using the right search terms

Edited to add this is a purely speculative post, not meaning to imply that anything like this happened in Caleb’s case. Hoping and praying Caleb will be found soon and reunited with his family.
Good question. I don’t know why it would be limited to Grindr. I have read stories where Craigslist was used to lure people into being robbery victims, whether using sexual encounters or selling items.

As stated, it may have developed into something where perpetrators learned how to become untraceable. In the case of Caleb not having his wallet, cards, keys or shoes, the person intending to rob him would not have known that.

Good question. I don’t know why it would be limited to Grindr. I have read stories where Craigslist was used to lure people into being robbery victims, whether using sexual encounters or selling items.
When "Personals" first started being printed in newspapers, Mary Higgins Clark wrote "Loves Music, Loves to Dance" about an SK who used just a certain ad to lure women he would kill. His other ads were simply ads. -- as I recall. It's been over 30 years since I read that book. I also lived in the Atlanta area where 2-3 women were killed and authorities believed their deaths tied to the "Personals" --- all the way back then late 1980s.

When "Personals" first started being printed in newspapers, Mary Higgins Clark wrote "Loves Music, Loves to Dance" about an SK who used just a certain ad to lure women he would kill. His other ads were simply ads. -- as I recall. It's been over 30 years since I read that book. I also lived in the Atlanta area where 2-3 women were killed and authorities believed their deaths tied to the "Personals" --- all the way back then late 1980s.
You’re right. I recall a case in the early ‘80s where a woman was lured, raped and killed via a personal ad about a water bed. I also read a book about a man in the early 1900s who placed personal ads looking for older brides who had been widowed, with the intent to marry, murder, and gain inheritance. So the internet and apps are an expansion of what’s always been part of human criminality.

Could CH be a victim of sextortion? There has been a rise in these cases in which the perpetrator holds some digital record of the victim- nude photo or maybe involved in a sex act. The perpetrator threatens to release the digital record to family, friends, and social acquaintances. The worst cases I have heard have resulted in the victims committing suicide. Maybe in this case CH was told that if he didn't go along with the perpetrators demands, the digital record would get sent out. Speculating here. MOO.

As stated, it may have developed into something where perpetrators learned how to become untraceable. In the case of Caleb not having his wallet, cards, keys or shoes, the person intending to rob him would not have known that.

Thank you for the reminder about what he left behind. Sounds like he did not plan to be gone long, to me. I do wonder about the alleged sighting of him near the bridge (obviously possible and I guess not too far to walk barefoot).

Something about this, though, makes me wonder if he had his encounter with someone closer to his apartment - certainly can't see him going much further than the bridge. Walks the dog, maybe encounters this someone (maybe someone he trusted or knew), takes the dog back, goes back out.

This scenario gives me hope that LE has an idea of who this person is. It could be Snapchat based if he already knew the person. It's my understanding that Snapchat doesn't store messages, but I think it stores data (about which devices are involved in a conversation). Things wouldn't make sense in terms of laws about digital services if they didn't. It would not be easy to track down everyone that Caleb had recently Snapchatted, I'm sure. But that surely explains the need for the digital experts of the FBI.

I think this will be solved, I sure hope so.

IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member