GUILTY TX - Carla Walker, 17, abducted, raped and strangled, Fort Worth, 17 Feb 1974 *Arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Could there have been two perps? The boyfriend was hit on the back of the head, could someone have hit him from behind while the other had the gun pointed at Carla? Or could have been driving the get away, it seems so bold to abduct her when she was already with someone rather than a girl walking alone. Either that or it shows his confidence which I’d bet means he’s either killed or raped before.
If you watch the Oxygen show 'The DNA of Murder with Paul Holes' - I think it is episode 9 - they make it clear how the boyfriend got hit on the back of the head etc. They were lying down in the front seat of the car. The perp kept beating the boyfriend and I think Carla said she would go with the perp if he would stop hitting her boyfriend.

On your second point - I still find it hard to believe how many of these cold cases (now that we have genetic genealogy) are turning out to be the work of someone for whom there is no sign that they ever committed another serious crime after that. It just blows my mind.

With this particular killer - someone else in this thread mentioned the Ft. Worth three - which was also in 1974. In that case they are still missing - no bodies; no evidence. If this same perp committed that crime, the only way to find out would be through confession I think.

Having problems with Tarrant County court site - is that where he supposed to be in?

@MicheleT - you helped me with another case in Tarrant County & was wondering if you could help me on this - or anyone else following this case?

Glen Samuel McCurley - 77 years old

TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-003.gif

If she was being pulled from the passenger side front door and the boyfriend lunged to grab her back I could see him getting hit in the back of the head by the same individual grabbing Ms. Walker. I imagine now that they have made an arrest more information will be determined by LE.
I'm awaiting more details to emerge as well. They sounded satisfied they had it wrapped up on the news. Likely her poor boyfriend had only the impression of a large force of attackers when he was overwhelmed by the blow that rendered him unconscious. . The news did not sound like LE thought this would lead to other cases being solved, but who knows. I could go on a tirade about the open season on women/girls in the 70s. These cold cases are finally being cracked and many others like Carla's killer finally face justice. Life is good sometimes.

Suspect in 1974 abduction, murder of Fort Worth teenage girl speaks to KRLD

The suspect in the 1974 abduction and murder of a 17-year-old Fort Worth girl gives his version of what happened.

In a jailhouse interview with KRLD at the Lon Evans Correction Center, Glen McCurley, 77, said he was not sober in the early morning hours of February 17th, 1974.

"I was drunk -- really drunk," McCurley told KRLD. "I was driving around, parking, drinking."

At one point, McCurley stopped in the parking lot of the Ridglea Bowling Alley near the Alta Mere traffic circle.

That’s when he noticed Carla in a car with her boyfriend.

"He was hitting on her, and I was drinking beer in the parking lot," says McCurley, who was 31 at the time. "And I saw him. He was screaming. And I went over there and opened the door, and knocked him off of her."

It was at that point that McCurley said he pulled Carla out of the car.

"I pulled her over into my car, and I drove off," said McCurley.

McCurley said it was as if he had actually rescued Carla from her boyfriend instead of abducting her.

"We talked for a while, and she calmed down," said McCurley. "And she said she was thankful for me getting him away from her."

And McCurley recounted the moments just before Carla was strangled.

"She just gave me a hug. I gave her a kiss. I mistook her for something else," McCurley said through tears. "I didn't mean to do it."

The suspect in the 1974 abduction and murder of a 17-year-old Fort Worth girl gives his version of what happened.

In a jailhouse interview with KRLD at the Lon Evans Correction Center, Glen McCurley, 77, said he was not sober in the early morning hours of February 17th, 1974.

"I was drunk -- really drunk," McCurley told KRLD. "I was driving around, parking, drinking."

At one point, McCurley stopped in the parking lot of the Ridglea Bowling Alley near the Alta Mere traffic circle.

"He was hitting on her, and I was drinking beer in the parking lot," says McCurley, who was 31 at the time. "And I saw him. He was screaming. And I went over there and opened the door, and knocked him off of her."

McCurley said it was as if he had actually rescued Carla from her boyfriend instead of abducting her.

"We talked for a while, and she calmed down," said McCurley. "And she said she was thankful for me getting him away from her."

"She just gave me a hug. I gave her a kiss. I mistook her for something else," McCurley said through tears. "I didn't mean to do it."
He forgot the rape? Torture? Morphine injection? She lived two days before the strangling? Aw. Poor misunderstood fellow. He just mistook her. Didn't mean to. uhhuh.

So, according to him, he rescued her from an abusive situation, she hugged him, then he raped, tortured and strangled her. Low life scum. Moo.

Well that’s a new one. Good luck with that before the jury/judge. Jmo

About the killer:

GM married, had 2 kids & spent 30 years living a normal church-going life. He killed Carla a few years after his own son died in a car crash on the way home from his college graduation. He had early criminal activity with car theft. It appears his wife is still alive & was seen leaving their home with luggage.

I swear. We always think serial killer with these brutal unsolved cases. But how many are really points in time when some otherwise normal person lost it? Smh.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article245928115.html

Last edited:
About the killer:

GM married, had 2 kids & spent 30 years living a normal church-going life. He killed Carla a few years after his own son died in a car crash on the way home from his college graduation. He had early criminal activity with car theft. It appears his wife is still alive & was seen leaving their home with luggage.

I swear. We always think serial killer with these brutal unsolved cases. But how many are really points in time when some otherwise normal person lost it? Smh.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article245928115.html

I think he wasn’t otherwise normal given his confession in which he portrays himself as heroic. I think he never had much of a conscience - just not driven to kill like many serial killers.

Regarding his own son. I was wondering how he could have had a son that old when he was only 31 years old himself. His son died in 1988, in a car crash, after graduating from college. The son was a toddler when Carla was killed.

I think he wasn’t otherwise normal given his confession in which he portrays himself as heroic. I think he never had much of a conscience - just not driven to kill like many serial killers.

Regarding his own son. I was wondering how he could have had a son that old when he was only 31 years old himself. His son died in 1988, in a car crash, after graduating from college. The son was a toddler when Carla was killed.
My bad- son’s age was confusing- thanks for catching that. Here’s a better timeline based on that same article.

1943 born Hollis, Ok
1961 Stole 2 cars, Abilene, TX
bowling alley & Colorado City,
TX -Feb
1961 Paroled from Huntsville Prison
-April
???? Married
???? Birth of 1st/2nd son
1964 Son Craig born Midland, TX
1972 Moved to Tarrant Co TX
1974 Murdered Carla, Ft. Worth
-abducted from bowling alley
1988 Son Craig killed in car crash
2020 Arrested for Carla’s murder

So, one son (the one that died) was 8 when Carla was murdered. Oddly, 2 of the 3 crimes LE knows about were initiated from bowling alleys. Is that a bizarre trigger?

For clarity, I didn’t mean GM is a normal guy, just that he’s lived a traditional life. He’s married, 2 kids, stable employment in 1 geographic region for nearly 50 years. He owns at least 2 homes. So primary residence & some sort of investment property. He was active in a church. Seems pretty dang ordinary too me- nothing that stands out. He was 17/18 for car theft & never seemed to go down that path again. What went so deeply wrong on that weekend in 1974 is still an unknown. Imo

@JudgeJoe Thanks for the timeline. I agree he seemed to live a normal life after his initial crimes. Without DNA we would never have considered him for Carla’s murder.

We are just grateful he was identified and apprehended before evidence was fully consumed or he died. Either of those outcomes would have made it less probable that the victim's family would get closure.

That's the strangest confession I've heard in a long time.

Its typical projection of the narcissistic sociopath.

He's perfect. He's a God-fearing, church-going man. It's the victim's fault they got themselves murdered. He's entitled to take what he wants from others who he thinks are inferior to him. With the arrogant, holier than thou attitude, this guy resembles Dennis Rader/BTK and GSK. JMO

It's so wrong that these arrogant, entitled monsters are allowed to destroy innocent lives. They get to live out their own lives as smug, upstanding people in their little communities, bullying and lording over others. Like BTK, GSK and the rest, they need to be outed and jailed. If deceased, they deserve to be publicly shamed to the world.

JMO

ETA: Outing and jailing these scumbags also sends a message to others like them that they're not as superior as they believe. I like the idea of all these monsters out there sleepless, quaking in their shoes, ready for LE's knock on their door to arrest them.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadMonique24
Back