TX - Chad Read 54, shot/killed by ex's bf, Kyle Carruth, in custody dispute, Lubbock, 5 Nov 2021

Thanks for that. It does look fast from this view.
That’s what I mean! Don’t you guys think the shooting is more reasonable if it’s a faster shoot? (Less time to perceive the fact Chad has stopped moving) again, I must stress that I don’t necessarily think Kyle is in the right here, I’m simply saying this would probably help a self defense claim IMO. Can’t explain why the delay is only present in the car footage. Maybe there was some “stuttering” in the video/audio of the house video?

Does the fact that he had a legal right to be at that home have any bearing on a judgment?

I’m not sure about Texas but SC has loose gun laws too and I think one has to be under a threat on their property to claim defense. It wouldn’t seem this would include walking away and coming back to the threat. The whole thing just seems too casual and the constant comments about “Property” just appears more like laying the base for defense rather that actually feeling at risk of losing life. It’s convenient that the children were not there as well.

Chad Read Lubbock shooting and Kyle Carruth: What we know

Nov 26, 2021

Chad Read, a 54-year-old Lubbock father, was fatally shot in South Lubbock outside his ex-wife's house after a confrontation between the former couple and the woman's boyfriend on Nov. 5.

Court records identified William Kyle Carruth as the man suspected of shooting Read. The affidavit was signed by Judge Anne-Marie Carruth, who filed the document in a counter suit in her divorce from Kyle Carruth.

As of this writing, no charges have been filed in the case. Here's what we know about the case and those involved:

Christina Read and Chad Read argument tied child custody
Video released by Jennifer Read, the current wife of Chad Read, showed Chad arguing with his ex-wife, Christina Read, over not having one of the former couple's sons available at a court ordered time.

During the argument, Christina could be heard saying the child was not home and that she was going to fetch him. She also said that she didn't abide by the court ordered deadline because she wanted to see their son.

"I don't care if you wanted to see him or not," Chad Read said. "I get him at 3:15 p.m. If you want to see him, you see him up until 3:15. You keep trying to keep my son from me."

Chad Read threatened to subpoena multiple people in response, including Kyle Carruth's ex wife, Judge Anne-Marie Carruth. At that point, Kyle, who previously told Chad to leave the property, emerged from the home with a rifle.

[..]

So she admitted that she did not comply with a court order because she did not want to? She did not comply because she wanted to see him, but she was not with him?
Makes no sense.

So she admitted that she did not comply with a court order because she did not want to? She did not comply because she wanted to see him, but she was not with him?
Makes no sense.
During the argument, Christina could be heard saying the child was not home and that she was going to fetch him. She also said that she didn't abide by the court ordered deadline because she wanted to see their son.
^^sbm

Seems Read's former wife wanted to extend her visiting time with their son, and why she did not comply with the order to produce the child at 3:15 pm.

Child was allegedly at a grandparent's home and his dad actually offered to collect his son versus depending on the mother to deliver the child as per the court order.

Last edited:

This guy’s video has both pieces of footage unblurred. Scroll to the 4:05 mark.
Wow, that was excellent. Did anyone else notice what appears to be one of Ring camera door bells on the house near the door?
Logic goes when weapons are brought into domestic problems.
Yep, the second he thought to go inside and get his loaded gun was the beginning of the end for him. IMO
Unfortunately though, in Texas

Makes no sense.

She probably knew her ex would get angry about it too, therefore they would need to defend the property. This is a shame.

The Castle Doctrine: Understanding Self-Defense in Texas

What exactly is the Castle Doctrine? When Can Deadly Force be used for Self Defense Purposes?

In Texas, Section 9 of the Texas Penal Code provides legal justifications for the use of force in a limited set of circumstances when a person has no duty to retreat. For example, a homeowner in his own home does not have a duty to retreat and may use deadly force to protect himself against an armed intruder. This would be the same for a business owner in his place of business and a truck driver in his own truck.

Texas law provides for a justifiable defense at trial when using deadly force if the person claiming self defense:

1. Reasonably believed the deadly force was immediately necessary;
  2. Had a legal right to be on the property;
  3. Did not provoke the person against whom deadly force was used; and
  4. Was not engaged in criminal activity at the time the deadly force was used.
What is Considered Self Defense in Texas?

Self Defense will be a justifiable defense so long as the type of force used is reasonable and necessary in the moment to protect against an attacker. A person may use force against another when they reasonably believe it is immediately necessary to protect from another’s “use or attempted use of unlawful force.” A person may use deadly force in self defense under Section 9.31 of Texas Penal Code if he:

• Knew the intruder unlawfully with force entered into his home, vehicle, or place of employment; or
  • Was being kidnapped; or
  • The intruder was attempting to sexually assault, rob, kidnap, or murder.
What is the Difference Between Deadly Force and Threat of Force?

Threat of force is when a person displays a weapon as a threat, showing that they will use deadly force to cause death or serious bodily injury if necessary. Texas Penal Code §9.04. Threat of Force is a precursor to the use of Deadly Force.

For example, a landowner, on his property, sees a trespasser running towards him. If the landowner decides to turn in such a way to display his holstered, loaded gun which causes the trespasser to run off the property, Texas law says this is likely a justifiable threat of force.

When is Defense of Another Person Justifiable?

A person is justified in using force or deadly force to protect a third party if he believes intervention is immediately necessary and would be justified in using force or deadly force to protect himself against the unlawful force in the same circumstance.

However, use of force is not justified if in the use of force to protect a third party, the person gets the circumstances wrong and ends up seriously injuring or killing an innocent third party.

For example, a man sees his friend in a fight and intervene by using deadly force to protect his friend and kills the third party. The man did not realize that the third party was actually using force as self defense against his friend. In this situation, the man would not be able to use defense of others as a justification for killing the third party.

________

Seems to me the Defender shot an unarmed man. Read a deadly threat when Carruth shot him? I don't think so. MOO

Affair? The couple was estranged at the time of the shooting, and their divorce was granted on Friday, Nov 26, 2021.

Court records show that the suspect in a fatal shooting early this month in South Lubbock is William Kyle Carruth, a land developer and the ex-husband of the judge for the 72nd District Court in Lubbock and Crosby counties.

Records link Kyle Carruth to deadly Lubbock shooting
I will do my best to add the link to the article that included this statement.

“Christina Read and Kyle Carruth have been engaged in an ongoing affair, despite Kyle Carruth being married. On October 30, 2021, Chad Read informed Christina Read that he had evidence of her affair with Kyle Carruth and that he was going to go public with it.”
By KCBD Staff
Published: Nov. 24, 2021 at 4:15 PM EST|Updated: Nov. 24, 2021 at 7:30 PM EST

That’s very helpful information @Seattle1 , thank you.

Number 3 in the grounds for force strikes me. If shooting a round right at the mans feet wasn’t provoking, what is? Number 1 is a stretch since the victim wasn’t showing a weapon but seemed to be letting the guy who eventually shot him know that he wasn’t scared.

I hope this creep doesn't get away with murder.All this man wanted was to see his own children.
Unlike the Carruth's whose divorce was still pending at the time of the shooting, seems that the Read's were already divorced with a custody arrangement already in place-- granting Chad Read visitation at 3:15 pm.

What a terrible tragedy that was totally preventable. :(

Neither woman didn't seem to upset after the shots were fired. Chads wife in the car seems unemotional and whomever was filming from inside the house just clears her throat like "welp, that's that".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back