TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #2

On KLBJ am in Austin, I heard today that Michael Turner is not Colton's bio dad, but is his "adoptive dad". I hadn't heard this anywhere else, and it certainly makes sense. It seems so common for the boyfriend of the mother to beat a toddler boy to death; I just don't see it that often in an intact set of biological parents. It does happen, but when you look at this darling child and then hear that maybe the "dad" isn't actually the bio dad but the mom's boyfriend, it seems it fits the typical profile more.

Don't know where adoptive dad came from. Really doubt there was an actual adoption. I believe the mother wasn't sure which guy was the father which is how he got the BF's last name. Coltons dad was in jail.

"Police say Meagan Work changed her stories many times about what happened to Colton but it was Michael who led them to a shallow grave where his body was found. Michael pled guilty to two counts of tampering with evidence stemming from burying Colton’s body before removing him and burying him in a different location. He also pled guilty to 2nd degree Reckless Injury to a Child by Omission, a lesser charge than Intentional Injury to a Child, a 1st degree crime."

http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/boyfriend-charged-in-colton-turner-case-expected-to-plead-guilty/

20 years is no where near long enough, considering that Colton was abused for a long period of time and this "man" did nothing to stop it. I guess he's arguing that the mother committed all the actual abuse and he just stood by? Pathetic.

Because the crime is “non-aggravated,” he could be eligible for parole in roughly 3 ½ years.
http://kxan.com/2016/02/26/boyfriend-charged-in-colton-turner-case-expected-to-plead-guilty/

I really hope he doesn't get parole. If he doesn't get parole and behaves himself inside, how much of his sentence will he even serve? Half? :mad:

I assume he will now testify that the mother abused and murdered Colton. Hopefully she will get LWOP and not some lenient plea deal.

RIP Colton.....you are a beautiful boy! I certainly hope he doesn't get paroled in 3 1/2 years!!! Does'nt seem possible.

Hopefully Coltons law will help another child in the future. I just learned about it here in this thread.

http://www.kvue.com/mb/news/crime/confession-allowed-case-against-meagan-work/371820954

Confession allowed in case against Colton Turner's mother, court rules.

The mother's statements will be allowed after all.

Excellent news!
Its time for Colton to get some justice.
RIP little man.
:rose:

Here is another link: http://kxan.com/2016/12/16/ruling-reversed-in-meagan-work-case-her-statements-can-be-used/

During the search for Colton, police held Work and questioned her for hours. Work at first told investigators her son was with a friend in Sachse, Texas, but she changed her story several times. She also said Colton had been kidnapped from an Austin truck stop. Work also told police she gave her son away at a Chik-Fil-A. Work later said Colton had a seizure, died, and she helped her boyfriend, Michael Turner, bury the boy’s body, according to the court opinion.

Work’s defense argued her arrest was unconstitutional, and her statements should be tossed from the record. Work is charged with tampering with evidence and injury to a child. She has pleaded not guilty.

Why isn't Meagan being charged with murder? I have to read back, but I thought Colton had family members who loved and wanted him. She could have dropped him off at any time and went on with her drug addled life.

Meagan Work, the woman charged in connection with her son’s death, will officially face a jury in October 2017. Judge Wahlberg is requesting 250 jurors be questioned due to the publicity of the case. He expects the trial, which is expected to start on Oct. 30, to last around two weeks. Work is charged with tampering with evidence and injury to a child, which if convicted, carries a sentence of 5-99 years or life.

http://kxan.com/2016/12/20/colton-turners-mother-will-face-jury-trial-in-fall-2017/

http://www.kvue.com/news/local/cour...ave-statements-to-police-tossed-out/474433494

Can't copy the text.... The Court of Criminal Appeals agreed with the Third Court of Appeals. Finding: Her statements are admissible because the arrest was legal because it was obvious she was lying about Colton's whereabouts. (She said he was out of town with a friend).

I hope the trial is still scheduled to begin in October.

AUSTIN (KXAN) — For the first time since her*trial was delayed last year, a mother charged in connection with the death of her 3-year-old son will face a judge. Meagan Work’s pretrial hearing is scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday.

Work’s trial is scheduled to start in May. Judge David Wahlberg says it could last more than a week and will likely require two jury pools because of the public interest.

https://kxan.com/2018/01/30/meagan-works-pretrial-hearings-begin-tuesday/

They updated the previous link with:

At Tuesday’s hearing, Work’s attorneys once again argued that her arrest was unconstitutional. The defense argues because Work was arrested for a Class C Misdemeanor, she should have been magistrated and released but instead, she was held for days and questioned.
The defense wants those statements thrown out before the trial starts.

https://kxan.com/2018/01/30/meagan-works-pretrial-hearings-begin-tuesday/

Update from same link:

“They wouldn’t want to let her walk away and that’s the whole point of that is that’s why they took 75 hours to magistrate her. They held her incognito so that they could do what they wanted to do with her,” said Ariel Payan, Work’s defense attorney. “Law enforcement has to comply with certain rules and restrictions and they have to follow the statutes, and the argument here is that they did not. They didn’t comply with the law and that renders her statements inadmissible.”

At one point Tuesday, Judge Wahlberg asked whether the law enforcement agency in question — the Cedar Park Police Department — was the same agency involved in the controversial Greg Kelley case. Prosecutors responded that these were very “distinct and different” cases.

[emoji35]

Judge Wahlberg is expected to rule on Tuesday’s hearing by March 21.*

Mom’s statements in death of Colton Turner allowed at trial, judge says

Prosecutors can pull from all of the statements Work made to police when she goes to trial Aug. 20.

The criminal case in the death of toddler Colton Turner is cleared for trial this summer after a judge in Travis County declined Thursday to suppress statements the boy’s mother made to police about his 2014 disappearance.

State District Judge David Wahlberg criticized what he characterized as deceptive investigative tactics employed by Cedar Park police before ruling that statements made to them by Turner’s mother, Meagan Work, were in fact voluntary.

Dear Websleuths Members,

WE ARE MOVING!

If you have ever used the blogs on Websleuths and you want to keep what you wrote you will need to copy your blog posts ASAP. When we move to our new software the blog posts will not transfer over. I'm very sorry but there is nothing we can do. We tried but alas, you will lose your blog posts if you do not save them before we move.

Monday, May 21[SUP]st[/SUP] at around 7:00 AM Eastern Websleuths will go down for hopefully no more than 48 hours. When we come back up it Websleuths will have a brand new look!

You can discuss the move RIGHT HERE if you like.

While we are down please check the Websleuths FACEBOOK PAGE and TWITTER ACCOUNT FOR UPDATES ON THE MOVE AND INFO ON THE LATEST BREAKING TRUE CRIME.

Thank you,
Tricia

I finally finished all these threads. So there still has NOT been a trial for the so called mother ?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back