Found Deceased TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #3 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO the children were asleep in their room as it would be "8:15 a.m. ish" when Crystal arrived at SM's home. Which sadly means she never got to see her babies. [emoji37]

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Surely if the kids weren't home on that day whoever was minding them would have said when they were searching for Crystal? They wouldn't have been at school because I was of the understanding that the schools were closed.

the eldest child is nearly 9 and I have a 10 year old. My son would most definitely have come out of his room to investigate if there was shouting or a ruckus....he is very perceptive and I would struggle to have him at home and kill someone without him knowing irrespective of the time of day !
the kids bedrooms are upstairs?
purely speculation, but perhaps there was no shouting or arguing....perhaps he lay in waiting and attacked when she walked in the door...covered her mouth. No screaming, no arguing....

Right, a babysitter would know. He sent the Mommy come home text on Thursday night. Maybe that was part of a plan. Its possible they were not there then either? There was some planning involved if the kids were not there, or locked in a room because the plans to pick them up there were already made. It seems he was going to confront her then with the things that angered him. He probably didn't want the kids to see or hear him acting emotionally abusive and controlling. Even 'IF' he didn't think he was going to murder her, any sign of his selfish absorption he was trying to cover.

All my thoughts only.

Trying to understand how this violence could have happened in the house, without the children being present but also in the house...
I grew up with a verbally violent parent, and I learned at a young age to go hide when it started. Kids who are living with parents who are splitting up, and hear a lot of arguing, often get used to hiding and drowning it out with other things. Perhaps SM had prepped them, telling them that he needed to talk to mom, and it was a private adult conversation so they should stay in their rooms until he and mom were done. Then, after he had killed her and put her body away, he told them that she was upset and left with a friend. Just a theorizing, no evidence what so ever to back this up.

IMO the children were asleep in their room as it would be "8:15 a.m. ish" when Crystal arrived at SM's home. Which sadly means she never got to see her babies. [emoji37]

"In the next room"

Does it say sleeping?

Doesn't that seem late for children though? Especially ones that are used to getting up for school (internal clock and all that).

Trying to understand how this violence could have happened in the house, without the children being present but also in the house...
I grew up with a verbally violent parent, and I learned at a young age to go hide when it started. Kids who are living with parents who are splitting up, and hear a lot of arguing, often get used to hiding and drowning it out with other things. Perhaps SM had prepped them, telling them that he needed to talk to mom, and it was a private adult conversation so they should stay in their rooms until he and mom were done. Then, after he had killed her and put her body away, he told them that she was upset and left with a friend. Just a theorizing, no evidence what so ever to back this up.

-Your theorizing sounds viable to me.

That is a huge home. But has high ceilings, so I think any shouting would echo. We don't know how long she was there prior to him strangling her (or I don't). But didn't he say she didn't come there at first? The children would have told someone she had been there if they saw her.
Master bedroom is right next to the living room/family room in the back of the home. He could have put her in there and moved her later . JMHO
McDowell home floor plan.JPG

That is a huge home. But has high ceilings, so I think any shouting would echo. We don't know how long she was there prior to him strangling her (or I don't). But didn't he say she didn't come there at first? The children would have told someone she had been there if they saw her.
Master bedroom is right next to the living room/family room in the back of the home. He could have put her in there and moved her later . JMHO

Looks like there are two family rooms, the other being right next to the garage.

Gosh what an ugly man....he looks so creepy. Crystal was so gorgeous....and the kids adorable. He was the odd one out ...

it has been mentioned several times that SM had NO friends and no close family ( obvious if they weren't even aware he was divorced). Crystal, on the other hand had a loving close knit family and lots and lots of friends. He really was so lucky to have her in his life and I don't see what she saw in him. Just my opinion but he is just overall creepy ...even his " smile" in photos of happier times he looks awkward.

Children were in the "next room" vs "another room" ?????
The article is titled with "next room" which is much more sensationalized, and in the article it says "another room."
These are very different things, and I wish it would be stated with quotation marks what prosecution actually said. I think we are seeing another example of errors in reporting. Not sure why this is so prevalent with this case. Yikes.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/baytown-police-continue-search-for-missing-38-year-old-woman_

Looks like he has a court appointed lawyer for now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/sherif...e-harvey/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7c&linkId=42138171

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From that link:
Steven McDowell, 44, has been charged with murder in the case. Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne told reporters after a probable cause hearing Tuesday that the suspect confessed to strangling the mother of two young children in his home.

Steven McDowell was given a court-appointed attorney during the brief hearing Tuesday. He said little and appeared somber.

Hawthorne said it took several interviews with police before McDowell confessed, but that he is being cooperative.
An autopsy was conducted Tuesday morning, and results were expected later in the week.

OK. I know this is the correct home because I looked up the deed. Then I took the legal description and matched it with the addresses on Bay Vista Drive.
This is the same home that Crystal has listed on her Real Estate page (It is Steve's home but she using it as advertisement)
https://www.facebook.com/CrystalMcDowellRealtor/posts/1257957277667463

Crystal McDowell, Realtor added 2 new photos — feeling excited.
August 13 at 9:06pm ·
*** BARBERS HILL ISD *** Starting In The Low 200s! LOW Tax Rate 1.9% and only $270 per year HOA! Builder Incentives To Assist With Closing Costs! Oversized Lots, 3 Car Garage, 1 & 2 Story Options! Great Deals on Move-In Ready Homes or Build On Your Own Lot! Together We CAN Do This!! Appointment Only! Call Me *advertiser censored*-*advertiser censored*-XXXX And Let's Make A Plan To Get You Into A Brand New Home!
#MakingHomeOwnershipGoalsAReality
Crystal McDowell
Realtor, CNE

She is list those properties so she could have made a profit off that sale too? Could be another factor he buys the house (deed just transferred on July 25, 2017) thinking she is going to stay there??? That is a huge house. On top of all the other things that he learned within that week. (She had a BF)

07/25/2017 123654 DEED OF TRUST OPR 1750 693
MCDOWELL
MORTGAGE ELECTRONIC REG SYSTEMS INC-NOMI
XXXXXXXXXXXX MORTGAGE LLC

County Type: DEED OF TRUST

Wait, so was Steves house actually for sale?? I'm a little confused about this

Wait, so was Steves house actually for sale?? I'm a little confused about this

It was a subdivision that was actively being built. So CM was advertising for homes in the same subdivision. (I was confused too, so investigated it a bit).

Children were in the "next room" vs "another room" ?????
The article is titled with "next room" which is much more sensationalized, and in the article it says "another room."
These are very different things, and I wish it would be stated with quotation marks what prosecution actually said. I think we are seeing another example of errors in reporting. Not sure why this is so prevalent with this case. Yikes.
https://www.click2houston.com/news/baytown-police-continue-search-for-missing-38-year-old-woman_

-Do you think it's because of small town LE??? This kind of inaccurate reporting in other counties would be squelched.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74