TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

Thanks a bunch Gardener! I couldn't access that article... Much appreciated! :)

edited to add - the defense didn't rest - did they? Trial continues tomorrow? TIA!

I didn't see anything saying they rested yet. Oddly that article was posted on Sunday June 9th and reads as if it happened that day. Unless I missed the date of the testimony-- I think that might all be from Friday but I'm not sure. :confused:

We might get an update on today (Monday) happenings too.
I can't understand why there is so little coverage of this trial.

Tuesday, June 11th:
*Trial Continues (Day 5) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
Confessed & told LE where body is.
Trial started 6/5/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.

6/3/19 Day 1: Motions filed & subpoenas. Jury selection continues to 6/4.
6/4/19 Day 2: Jury selection is complete. Trial will begin on 6/5.
6/5/19 Day 1 of Trial: Opening statements. No other info available. Trial continues to 6/6.
6/6/19 Day 2: Mandy Avalos (friend of Crystal's. Avalos has custody of the McDowell’s son and daughter at the wish of Crystal). Charles Raven (worked with Steven). Easton Isaacks (cellmate of Steven's). Dr. Paula Brumit (forensic odontology consultant). Trial continues to 6/7.
6/7/19 Day 3: State witnesses: Video testimony (when she was 7 yrs old, but was 5 when she saw her mother murdered). Video testimony from the son who is now ten years old. State rested. The defense gave an opening statement to the jury and then called the following witnesses: Tamara Shipley (A former neighbor). Mary Louise Johnston (SM's mom). Heather Ann Simpson (SM's Sister). Erika Prigmore (SM's Sister). Krysta McDowell (SM's oldest daughter from a previous marriage). Chambers County Sheriff Brian Hawthorne. Trial continues on 6/10.
6/10/19 Day 4: No info yet. Trial continues on 6/11.

Accused killer: I hugged her to death

June 11, 2019

On the fourth day of testimony in the trial of Steven McDowell, who is charged with strangling his wife Crystal, a highly emotional Steven took the stand for about six hours and repeatedly pleaded guilty.

But while he verbalized his guilt, he refused to go through the legal paperwork required to officially plead guilty to the charge of murdering his ex-wife because he claims he did not strangler her as the indictment states.

“I wanted to plead guilty,” Steven McDowell said. “If it were the first indictment I would have. It said I choked her and I didn’t choke her.”

The first indictment of Steven McDowell said he initially caused the death of Crystal McDowell. But the Chambers County District Attorney’s Office used an indictment that says Steven McDowell did initially cause the death of Crystal McDowell by strangulation since that was what he confessed to the Texas Rangers.

Steven McDowell said strangling Crystal McDowell were the words of the Texas Rangers and not his.

“I just wanted to hold her; I just wanted to start over. I was tired of arguing and I was tired of fighting,” Steven McDowell said when asked why he hugged her and suffocated her on accident, as he claimed Monday.

Steven McDowell also said when Crystal McDowell came home the morning of her death, she was in good mood, and he was happy to see her.

Steven McDowell said they even had sex that morning but started arguing because he was supposed to get a document notarized that would allow Crystal McDowell to take the kids on a cruise without him. But he said he never got the document notarized and the cruise was coming up soon.

“She said she didn’t love me anymore and hadn’t loved me in a long time,” Steven McDowell said. “She had never said that before. I told her to stop, and I begged her to quit being mean to me. I grabbed her; I put my arms around her.”

Steven McDowell said they were standing up when they were hugging and said he became frustrated and upset. Steven McDowell said her body then became limp and she fell. He claims that he fell with her onto the bed and that’s when he realized she was dead.

Accused killer: I hugged her to death

The article goes on to say SM contradicted his daughter's testimony. SM claims his daughter could not have seen the murder because he locked both doors leading to the bedroom/bathroom and was taking a shower. SM claims he let Crystal in while he was showering, because she knocked on the door and then he locked the door again. DA Lieck showed a picture of Crystal's decomposing body from when she was found and SM refused to look at it. They even put it up on the big screen and he wouldn't look at what he had done. SM will resume testimony today. Closing arguments expected.

Last edited:
WOW! Reading the above! Confessed on the stand.... I truly do NOT believe his story, I believe his little girl....

Thanks a bunch for posting all that Gardener! :)

I agree Niner. It really makes me angry that he wasted a bunch of time on the stand and put everyone through a trial just to say that he "hugged her to death". What a bunch a BS! You don't hug someone for 4-5 minutes until they are dead from lack of oxygen. And if they were standing up as he says then she would have been pulling away and fighting for him to stop so she could breathe. But it really burns me up that he admits he killed her but refused to plead guilty simply because the manner of death didn't match what he wanted to call it. No matter how she died at his hands, it's still murder! He put his hands on her in anger because he didn't want her to leave him and she ended up dead. If he couldn't have her he wasn't going to let anyone else have Crystal either. He deprived his children of their mother and the world of a beautiful human being all because he is an selfish SOB who couldn't admit his relationship with her was over.

:mad::(

MOO.

Last edited:
I agree Niner. It really makes me angry that he wasted a bunch of time on the stand and put everyone through a trial just to say that he "hugged her to death". What a bunch a BS! You don't hug someone for 4-5 minutes until they are dead from lack of oxygen. And if they were standing up as he says then she would have been pulling away and fighting for him to stop so she could breathe. But it really burns me up that he admits he killed her but refused to plead guilty simply because the manner of death didn't match what he wanted to call it. No matter how she died at his hands, it's still murder! He put his hands on her in anger because he didn't want her to leave him and she ended up dead. If he couldn't have her he wasn't going to let anyone else have Crystal either. He deprived his children of their mother and the world of a beautiful human being all being he is an selfish SOB who couldn't admit his relationship with her was over.

:mad::(

MOO.

Good post! Totally agree! I don't believe the jurors will out too long on this one....

Wednesday, June 12th:
*Trial Continues (Day 6) (@ 9am CT) - TX - Crystal Ann Seratte McDowell (37) (Sept. 2, 2017, Baytown) - *Steven Wayne McDowell (44) (ex) arrested (9/9/17), charged (9/12/17) & arraigned (4/25/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Bond set at $500,000.
Confessed & told LE where body is.
Trial started 6/3/19. Moved from Chambers County to Galveston County.

Jury Selection (Day 1 & 2) 6/3 to 6/4, Trial information (Day 1 to 3) 6/5 to 6/7 reference post #522 here:
TX - Crystal Seratte McDowell, 38, Baytown, 25 Aug 2017 #4

6/10/19 Day 4: Defense witness: Steven McDowell. Confessed to killing her (hugged her to death), but did not plead guilty because the indictment said he strangled her. Will continue on stand tomorrow on 6/11.
6/11/19 Day 5: Defense witness: Steven McDowell continues on stand. No other info available yet. Trial continues on 6/12.

Jury: McDowell guilty of murder

June 12, 2019

GALVESTON - After deliberating for close to three-and-a-half hours, a jury has determined Steven McDowell is guilty in the murder of his ex-wife, Crystal McDowell.

Steven McDowell showed little emotion as the verdict was read, a complete contrast to his earlier emotional state, when he testified through tears how he claimed to “love her more than anything in the world.”

Chambers County District Attorney Cheryl Lieck said Steven McDowell faces life in prison with a full range of five to 99 years. He was not charged with capital murder, and the death penalty was waived since he agreed to lead authorities to Crystal McDowell’s body.

After the verdict was read, Judge Chap B. Cain III asked if the prosecution, led by Lieck, and defense attorney, Keaton Kirkwood, were ready for the punishment phase of the trial. Both said they were and the second phase began immediately.

Members of Crystal McDowell’s family packed the Constitutional Courtroom of the Galveston County Justice Center Tuesday where Judge Chap B. Cain III of the 253rd District Court in Chambers County is presiding.

Before the case was handed to the jury, Steven McDowell took the stand for a second day, again defending his claim he “hugged” Crystal McDowell to death instead of strangling her with his hands.

Kirkwood asked when Steven McDowell “hugged” Crystal McDowell if he knew it would end the way it did.

Lieck asked about the text messages between Crystal McDowell and Steven McDowell. One was dated Aug. 23, two days before Crystal McDowell was killed. She typed to her ex-husband, “Please move on with your life and stop manipulating the kids and using them as pawns.” And then she sent a text saying, “you’re still acting crazy” and “I wanted a divorce years ago.”

Lieck said Steven McDowell lied for days after Crystal McDowell’s disappearance to her friends, family and law enforcement. She pointed out how he even sent fake texts messages to her, knowing she was already dead.

Jury: McDowell guilty of murder

Thank you Gardener. Can't access the article, but does it say "who" was called for victim impact statements or what else happened?

TIA! :)

Good Guilty!!

Rest in Peace Crystal!
View attachment 188626

No they didn't report on victim impact statements and didn't say whether he was sentenced yet.
The rest of the article seems a bit disjointed and I had trouble understanding it. I think the writer was going back and forth between things that happened before and after the "Punishment Phase" (or else I need more coffee :p). I'll try my best to summarize the rest:

Before confessing SM said he took time to get situated to “do the right thing.” SM said he wanted to talk to Mandy Avalos (Crystal's friend who has the children).

Lieck apparently showed SM a photo of Crystal's body again (from after it had been in the woods for 2 weeks).

(I'm not clear if the above happened before or after the Jury Verdict/Punishment Phase)

Next the article say that during the Punishment Phase Avalos was called to the stand. Avalos said she was still going to have to get SM to release custody of the children before she could get full custody, per Crystal McDowell’s wishes. DA Lieck made the point if SM was to get out of prison within 20 years, he would still have parental rights unless he released them.

Next the article has a quote with no attribution on who is speaking or when this happened Here is the quote:
“Yes,” he said, through a flood of tears. “I apologize for not saying I was sorry earlier, and I don’t expect them to forgive me because I cannot forgive myself.”

(I assume the above quote is Steven McDowell saying this in response to Avalos' request he sign a release for the children? :confused: But it's unclear if he was back on the stand or just saying this from his seat while she was on the stand).

Next the article skips to SM's attorney Kirkwood saying that Crystal was SM's Princess, she wore many hats as a "mad hatter" (I have no idea what he means by that line). Kirkwood goes on to say that Crystal had many affairs and SM had never harmed her before for any of them. Kirkwood says SM has no violent history.

Next the article says DA Lieck spoke and refuted SM's testimony about hugging CM to death saying that was not his confession to police. She also reminded the jury of Charles Raven’s testimony, where he said Steven McDowell told him in March 2017, months before Crystal McDowell’s death, how he wanted to kill her and himself over alleged affairs. She also brought up Baytown police officer Jose Gonzalez’s testimony, where he said Crystal McDowell had come to him around the same time, saying Steven McDowell had threatened to kill her, himself and the kids and took off without saying where he was going.

Lieck recapped Avalos’ testimony about the daughter telling them them about a black dress shaking and how “evil spirits” took her mother. Lieck talked about Chambers County inmate, Easton Isaacks, who testified SM told him how he killed Crystal.

Then the article ends with the following quote (I'm assuming Lieck is referring back to the inmate who testified):
“What does he have to gain?” Lieck said. “(Steven McDowell) freaked him out by pretending to choke him as if it were a joke. He was a dope head, but knows nothing about murder. He said Steven was weird.”

Here's what the court site has for just the last 2 days.

06/11/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Jury Charge with Guilty Verdict

06/11/2019 Jury Question

06/11/2019 Other
Comment: State's Brief in Opposition to Defendant's Requested Instruction on Sudden Passion

06/12/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Punishment - Refused by Judge

06/12/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Punishment Phase

link: Chambers County - Portal

wondering what I have in bold means....

Here's what the court site has for just the last 2 days.

06/11/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Jury Charge with Guilty Verdict

06/11/2019 Jury Question

06/11/2019 Other
Comment: State's Brief in Opposition to Defendant's Requested Instruction on Sudden Passion

06/12/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Punishment - Refused by Judge

06/12/2019 Jury Charge
Comment: Punishment Phase

link: Chambers County - Portal

wondering what I have in bold means....

Hmmmm... I have no idea what that means! Maybe it just means he refused to rule on the length of sentencing yet? IDK.

Chambers County Sheriff's Office
6 mins
Sheriff Brian Hawthorne reports today from Galveston County Courthouse that Steve McDowell was found guilty and sentenced to 50 years for the strangulation Murder of his ex-wife, Crystal McDowell, a Baytown realtor. Crystal was originally reported missing during the height of Hurricane Harvey and the Investigation revealed she was murdered in her ex-husband’s house just south of Mont Belvieu. Crystal’s remains were found two weeks later in the woods just off Needlepoint Road in Chambers County.

Chambers County Sheriff's Office
6 mins
Sheriff Brian Hawthorne reports today from Galveston County Courthouse that Steve McDowell was found guilty and sentenced to 50 years for the strangulation Murder of his ex-wife, Crystal McDowell, a Baytown realtor. Crystal was originally reported missing during the height of Hurricane Harvey and the Investigation revealed she was murdered in her ex-husband’s house just south of Mont Belvieu. Crystal’s remains were found two weeks later in the woods just off Needlepoint Road in Chambers County.

I would have preferred for him to receive 99 years. He chose to murder Crystal and knowingly did it in front of their 5 year old daughter who will carry that horrific memory with her forever. I wonder how many years he will actually serve until being eligible for parole? Crystal is dead forever. She doesn’t get an opportunity to return. Why should he?

This man is such a coward, he won't confess in court in front of people about what really happened. Hugged her to death? Dragged her poor body out in the middle of nowhere and let people search for 2 weeks. Refuses to look at photos of her body.

I think he should have gotten much more than 50 years.

Okay this trial and the Brent Christensen trial might be the two most pointless trials ever. Both admit guilty anyway!

Why not just plead guilty and ask for a lenient sentence? I mean wow. The state would probably do it to save the money of an expensive trial! Not to mention the trauma on the surviving family members.

I just checked the Baytown Sun and they had an article on his sentence from June 13th with photos of McDowell:
5d01b80238636.image.jpg

5d01b839d863e.image.jpg

McDowell gets 50 years

What's with the long white beard? Was he trying to look older so the sentence would be lenient? He is only 46. With 50 years he might die in prison or he might still get out for good behavior. I think his sentence should have been "life" at the very least. MOO.

Here are some quotes from the article:

A man who murdered his wife, hid the body in the trunk of her car and then dumped it in a forest area was handed a 50-year sentence for his crime.

[...]

“He took her from us, and he deserves worse,” Walters shouted, struggling through tears. “He was given leniency, in my opinion. He did exactly what he was going to do. He said he was going to destroy her so she couldn’t be with anyone else. I think it is wrong and he should stay there for the remainder of his life. I hope he suffers through it.”

“He took her from her babies,” Walters said. “That little girl had to watch her mother die. She cried at the funeral when she saw her mother’s picture. It is just wrong. He deserves worse.”

“He’ll be out in 25 (years),” Avalos said. “It is not enough when you take a life. Those babies will grow up without their mother. And for that girl to see what happened to her mother and him to say it didn’t happen that way? 50 years is not enough. I hope he is miserable every day of his life.”

“She adored those kids. And he just takes it all away,” Avalos said. “She would help anybody that needed help. She was always like that.”

“We have not discussed that as of yet,” Kirkwood said. “I’ll give him time to digest that and see what he wants to do in the very near future.”

Tami Bedinger, a friend of Crystal McDowell’s who worked with her at Virginia Malone & Associates, said she was not happy with the sentence.

“I’m definitely happy that the jury did not do crime of passion, because that is not what it was at all,” Bedinger said. “But (Crystal and I) talked everyday about Steve. When I met him for the first time, I told Jeff (Walters) there is something wrong with him.”

“They didn’t know the real timeline (of her affairs),” Bedinger said. “There are only two and the one guy she got an email from, she knew him before Steven and her were together and were even engaged. They bring up stuff and make it sound like she was a horrible person, but she just wanted love.”

“My honest opinion is that she could have done a lot better,” she said. “But she did a hell of a performance today, but if she had all of the information she would’ve gotten life for him. There were people she interviewed that Crystal wasn’t around much. She was working her butt off in real estate. She was working around Jeff and us.

She was telling me things and confiding in me. Jeff was never interviewed. He was the one that (the daughter) told first about the black dress shaking and the ‘evil spirits’ got her. Why not talk to him? He was never called to the stand.”

“I understand where a couple members of the family may not be satisfied, but the difference between life and 50 is only five years.” Lieck said. “Eligibility does not mean entitled, so that doesn’t mean he will get it.”

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renenoelle
Back