Found Deceased TX - Delano Burkes, 26, missing after night out with friends, went to use the bathroom, seen running, Houston, 13 Nov 2022

There are sections where there are homeless people hanging about. It used to be that there were communities of homeless people living along the bayou, especially around the downtown area. I'm not sure if that is still the case though because I haven't been to that area in a while and I know the city was trying to curb this behavior.
(Snipped by me).

Somewhat off topic. Just pointing out that People Experiencing Homelessness are more likely to be the targets / victims of crimes. People without Houses are far more vulnerable. If you have a home, you have walls and locks; if you don't have a home, you don't even have that.

Noting:
  • On Nov. 15 the body believed to be an Oklahoma man, Ridge Kyle Cole, 28, was found in Brays Bayou near the 4500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard.
  • The body of Delano Burkes, 26, was found floating in the Houston Ship Channel on Nov. 25.
  • Alejandro Torres, 29, was found by HPD investigators on Dec. 3 in the Buffalo Bayou.
  • HPD on Tuesday night said the cases do not appear to be related and are not likely homicides.

Noting:
  • On Nov. 15 the body believed to be an Oklahoma man, Ridge Kyle Cole, 28, was found in Brays Bayou near the 4500 block of Martin Luther King Boulevard.
  • The body of Delano Burkes, 26, was found floating in the Houston Ship Channel on Nov. 25.
  • Alejandro Torres, 29, was found by HPD investigators on Dec. 3 in the Buffalo Bayou.
  • HPD on Tuesday night said the cases do not appear to be related and are not likely homicides.

The instance with the Oklahoma man who stepped outside for a cigarette and up and disappeared is pretty eerie. Was visiting so his 1 year old could have a Kidney transplant or something. So bizarre.

Noting:
  • HPD on Tuesday night said the cases do not appear to be related and are not likely homicides
Good lord.
Anyone else here lecture loved ones about leaving bars drunk alone?? So freaking sad how many intoxicated young men wind up in water…
His poor family must be so shocked and likely pretty hurt by the friends’ neglect.
(I don’t personally think they’re to blame but some of their actions don’t sit right either)
Rest In Peace Delano!

Good lord.
Anyone else here lecture loved ones about leaving bars drunk alone?? So freaking sad how many intoxicated young men wind up in water…
His poor family must be so shocked and likely pretty hurt by the friends’ neglect.
(I don’t personally think they’re to blame but some of their actions don’t sit right either)
Rest In Peace Delano!
Yes and always have one sober friend you can trust! I was watching a TT the other day and seen a video of how this group of friends uses a air tag attached to the one friend who always runs away when drunk. lol

DEC 9, 2022
Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee, along with the family of 26-year-old Delano Burkes say that there may be more information about his death.

Hours after the news conference, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner released a statement saying, in part, that the department’s detectives have worked countless hours on the case.

Delano Burkes' family desperate for answers about what happened to him​

The family of the man whose body was found in the Houston Ship Channel after he went missing in the Heights is hoping to learn what happened before his death.

$1M bond set for son, Stephen Burkes, accused of shooting his mother & killing her fiancé
Editor's note: In previous reports, police said the victim was Burkes' mother's boyfriend. During his court hearing, the hearing officer said the victim was Burkes' mother's fiancé.

Praying for this Mom to recover, from her injuries, and from the difficult emotional devastation of losing 3 people she loved…..her son Delano, her fiancé, and now her other son, who has made a written confession to this crime. This article does not name the mother nor her slain fiancé, but she was very active in media when Delano was missing.

This is a lot of heartbreak for one mother and family to endure. May they have the strength to rise above.

JAN 7, 2023
  1. Stephen Burkes is charged with murder and aggravated assault of a family member.
  2. Bond was set at $500,000 bond for each charge, totaling $1 million.
  3. Burkes allegedly made a written statement confessing to the shooting.
  4. When HPD arrived at the scene, they found a man unresponsive in the front yard.
  5. A family membr said, "He never had a history or had any ill feelings towards women, especially his mother." They also added that Stephen "had been exhibiting signs of being bi-polar, but never anything this extreme."
  6. Paramedics pronounced the victim, Burkes' mother's fiancé, dead at the scene.
  7. Family members said there was no altercation or aggression between Stephen and the fiancé, describing the incident as an accident caused by some mental health issue.
  8. Burkes' mother was hiding in the living room when police discovered she was shot three times - in the face, arm, and leg. She was taken to the hospital in stable condition.
  9. Burkes was sitting outside in the patio area with the gun next to him and was taken into custody without incident.
  10. Investigators said all three adults lived in the home.

Was any official cause of death released about Delano? I only found this article.

His Mom was one of the ones fighting the hardest for answers, and now with her gone, I hope LE still give them answers.

Did his mother pass or she is recovering from the attack? I was under the impression she survived. Thank you.

Did his mother pass or she is recovering from the attack? I was under the impression she survived. Thank you.
Sorry. I misread an article. He murdered the fiancé but it does seem like the Mother survived it seems. This was the last article I could find on it.

Jan 8 2023 rbbm
''According to investigators, Stephen Burkes shot his mother, Karen Jeffley, and her fiancé, Santiago Wesley, early Friday morning at a home in west Houston. Jeffley is still recovering from the shooting.

"Sometimes the stress of life ... which she believes impacted the actions ... create a very tragic situation in their home. I visited with Karen. She's resilient. She's recovering. She wanted the community to know how appreciative she is of their concern," Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee said.''

Was any official cause of death released about Delano? I only found this article.

His Mom was one of the ones fighting the hardest for answers, and now with her gone, I hope LE still give them answers.
I just checked and the ME still has both manner and cause as pending. I would wager they're waiting on toxicology.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects
Back