TX - Diocese says priest accused of molesting kids is HIV positive, Fort Worth

Taximom

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.eyewitnessnewstv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7875372
The Fort Worth diocese says the Rev. Philip Magaldi recently told another priest that he has the disease that causes AIDS. Church officials say they believe he has been HIV positive since 2003. The diocese says it started alerting people who claim Magaldi assaulted them. (more at link)
Pic:
http://www.bishop-accountability.or..._Barbee_DioceseSexAbuse_ph_Philip_Magaldi.jpg

As if these kids don't have enough to struggle with in their lives. :behindbar

This lousey creep. Not only has Father harmed children, but now some poor guy who may have not even faced what happened to him as a child at the hands of a trusted clergyman has to deal with this? What did he do tell this in confession? Pffft, and here goes me still calling him "Father". Was he defrocked? Oh, no doubt the Church will pay for this old coots medication. Oh and not only is "Father" a pedophile, but he's also a thief.http://www.bishop-accountability.org/news2006/11_12/2006_11_29_StarTelegram_AfterSecond.htm

I guess his punishment is alread being served to him..The article says he is too ill to give interviews,blind and living in an assisted living center,sounds like he is dying. I pray to God he didn't give that horrible disease to anyone else. The article says he got HIV in 2003 I didn't realize that disease would kill in a matter of 5 years...

I guess his punishment is alread being served to him..The article says he is too ill to give interviews,blind and living in an assisted living center,sounds like he is dying. I pray to God he didn't give that horrible disease to anyone else. The article says he got HIV in 2003 I didn't realize that disease would kill in a matter of 5 years...

Sadie, I don't believe that for a hot minute. No doubt the Church knew way before this he had HIV. This guy will not release his medical records. Why not I wonder? Maybe because he knew he's been positive way before this. Plus, if he doesn't have full blown AIDS I'd daoubt his blindness is caused by the virus. He's no spring chicken. Here's a link about how he won't hand over his medical records. http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publishe...&topicId=100021150&docId=l:745411964&start=16

Unlocking the Secrets of the Fort Worth Diocese
Files Detail Allegations against Priests, Reveal Deception by Leaders
By Darren Barbee
Star-Telegram
November 29, 2006

Fort Worth -- In public, Fort Worth Bishop Joseph P. Delaney and his trusted subordinates often spoke of the importance of being honest and open about allegations of sexual abuse by priests.

But the moral and spiritual leaders of the Fort Worth Roman Catholic Diocese buried key facts about six men accused of molesting children in their secret archive, known as the confidential files.

On Tuesday, state District Judge Len Wade released portions of the files after about a year of legal maneuvering by attorneys to keep them closed. The files, which were sealed as part of a sexual abuse lawsuit against the diocese, reveal that Delaney and other church leaders sometimes intentionally misled the public, their congregations and the priests' accusers.

In the documents, those leaders describe how they hid payments to one victim while counting the days until the civil statute of limitations had expired and how they moved accused priests to other parishes.

The secret files' notes, memorandums and e-mails detail how the fear of bad publicity often influenced diocese leaders' actions.
Full article: click here

Thank you, shadowraiths. I tried twice to open that article and it kept freezing my pc. I wondered what it was about.

I'm HOPING that this guy acquired this long after he had any access to those kids. I wanted to try and find out about his charges, but didn't see anything specific from a quick search.

Our kids are not even safe in church. One of the priests involved in scandal long ago here in the Cleveland area was a friend to our family for many years when I was young.

Yeah this is something I always look forward to hearing at Mass. Tell the people during Mass. Then again I guess at least they are telling. Right? I'm still concerned for boys that never told. Still haven't told.

According to the article, the priest isn't releasing his medical records to the Church. The Church has investigated by questioning his associates and found that there were signs of HIV back to 2003. He was probably infected in the late 1990s and now has full-blown AIDS because he was not being treated for HIV until recently.

Then I assume he was exposed to AIDS by what we would call a street hustler probably age 18-30 sometime between 6 months and several years prior to 2003. Was he still working up until 2003? And in the 1980's, AIDS or Human Immunodeficiency Virus, killed before many even knew what they had.

BBM - I remember back in the 90 being shocked that a 31 year old rapper went onto the hospital thinking he was just having asthma and was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS and died a month later. I realize it was 10 years ago but it was still shocking to see a seemingly healthy person succumb to the disease so quickly. But in his case, he just assumed it was asthma and he thought he was young and invincible.

From wikipedia link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eazy-E

On February 24, 1995, rapper Eazy-E was admitted to the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles with what he believed to be asthma. Instead he was diagnosed with AIDS. He announced his illness in a public statement on March 16. Eazy's sexual activity began at the age of twelve and resulted in not only a fatal disease, but seven children with six different women. He died due to "complications from AIDS" one month after his diagnosis, on March 26, 1995. He was 31 years old.

Ok, the rest of my post is simply my opinions and not in response to any post: Frankly I am so disgusted by this. I live in Louisiana and our culture is rich in Catholic traditions and beliefs (So much so that our state has "parishes", not counties). Many non-Catholic children attend expensive private Catholic schools. I attended one as child and even was a teacher at one. I have never been an active believer or follower of the church and have actually been rather repelled by what I have experienced. My apologies to any Catholics who this may offend. There are many good people (including a few family members, though not my husband or I) in the church and the evil people simply hide behind them which is despicable.

I have heard many of these stories of pedophile priests simply being re-assigned when there were valid complaints about sex abuse. The families were hushed, the dirty secret was actively hidden by a conspiracy of the higher-up people in the church and of course, those priests re-offended and finally their whole sordid past came out. I have been appalled by the actions and inaction of the church in this matter. It is not just my opinion that there was a conspiracy to cover up and protect the pedophile priest, it is an accepted fact by now and I believe it is far worse than what has been revealed.

This "priest" is a criminal of the worst kind, preying on children and hiding behind the church. What a sick and twisted psyche that is. To garb yourself as a Godly, celibate servant of God and to use that power to attack children. Unbelievable. They ought to be executed. I simply have no pity in the matter for the priests. None. And a "church" that protect the offenders? Evil!

So how did this priest who made a vow to God to be celibate get HIV? Certainly NOT from his underage victims. It likely had to come from an encounter with an adult, probably an illicit and consensual hookup. It is no secret that such behavior is a HUGE risk for HIV so this priest had to know he was at risk and probably knew he had it long before his "official" diagnosis. I believe he absolutely knew he was at risk and did not care if he passed that risk onto innocent children as he defiled them. I am so disgusted.

http://www.bishop-accountability.org/news2006/11_12/2006_11_29_StarTelegram_AfterSecond.htm "Over the Rev. Philip Magaldi's flamboyant career [see Bishop Delaney's use of the same phrase in a 12/23/98 memo], he weathered perjury charges in New England and served time in a halfway house for embezzling $123,400 from his Rhode Island parish."

A pedophile and a thief who stole from the church and from those who donated money. Many people are struggling financially but still pay their tithes to the church (and the Catholic church can be hardcore about this) and this lowlife stole it. He cannot die painfully enough for me. Sorry but I have no pity on him or his soul. I hope he knows that stop, drop and roll won't work in Hell. He is the kind of person who make me really hope that Hell is real.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sapphire13
Back