TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I share your curiosity. The only two methods of communication that I can think of are burner phones and in-person discussions. However, say a person were trying to get ahold of Sergio for instance. If they initiated a discussion via a burner phone, it would show up as suspicious on Sergio’s bill, wouldn’t it? Both parties would have to have burner phones. Just thinking…
I don't think you get a bill...you just go to Walmart or somewhere to buy a card to load on the phone..So, no bill; how can that be traced?

This is probably a dumb question, but if someone close to Liz hired person(s) to kill her, how would they arrange that in a way that's not traceable? Texts, messages online, phone calls, etc. can be traced. So would it either have to be a burner phone no one knew they had or an in-person meeting? However, you'd think arranging the in-person meeting would have been done via phone somehow.

Maybe there's a really easy answer here I'm not thinking of lol.

What I can't even understand is, assuming that one has an enemy that one wants dead, how do they go about finding a killer-for-hire? because if one asks the wrong person to murder someone for money, and that person says "no", then the one who asked to hire a killer suddenly has a big exposure, IMO

Last edited:
I don't think you get a bill...you just go to Walmart or somewhere to buy a card to load on the phone..So, no bill; how can that be traced?
Even Walmart is strict about that these days. They don't sell phones or SIM cards in an anonymous way anymore. They require the person's name, ID, etc. There are probably ways to get around this, though. In a recent case I followed, one of the killers was using a phone registered to someone else, apparently with their permission. Maybe someone complicit or needing cash is willing to buy cell phones in their name and use them.

Also wondering if its possible, for those living close to the border, to get anonymous SIM cards or burner phones in Mexico that also work in the US.

I noticed something while reading the family’s website timeline page.

The suspect pulls into a parking lot 10 seconds before the victim’s husband leaves that morning. Then he and the suspect, according to video timestamps, depart at *exactly* the same time, to their respective destinations: Sergio, to work, presumably?, and the suspect towards the victim’s home. It takes the suspect 2 minutes to drive there.

Following the shooting, Sergio returns. He has been away from the home for a solid hour - to the minute.

I find these time instances fascinating. For instance: the 10 second pause just before the shooter and her husband, Sergio, spring into motion that morning. That’s just enough time for an all-clear message to be sent.

Ten seconds later, they’re both on the move. This is just incredible to me. What absolute timing, if the husband didnt alert the shooter. I know there are cameras, but still - that’s amazing.

And then Sergio doesnt return until exactly one hour later. 60 minutes. There’s nothing meaningful I can find in this except how conveniently out of place it puts him from the shooting.

JMO - a theory.
I do think the answer lies in the timeline.

From Goddard school to Barraza’s is a 1 minute drive.

From Barraza’s to Lowe’s is 4.9 miles (10ish minutes depending on the time of day).

I wish we knew when SB got to Lowe’s and where they went from there. I would like to know why it took 1 hour for SB to arrive at the house and why he didn’t react to the alarm.

This is probably a dumb question, but if someone close to Liz hired person(s) to kill her, how would they arrange that in a way that's not traceable? Texts, messages online, phone calls, etc. can be traced. So would it either have to be a burner phone no one knew they had or an in-person meeting? However, you'd think arranging the in-person meeting would have been done via phone somehow.

Maybe there's a really easy answer here I'm not thinking of lol.
It's a great question. Am not knowledgeable about geofencing but wonder if geofencing can access burner phones in real-time location being sent by a tracked device? However, I would suspect if its possible that LE have already done this. MOO

I do think the answer lies in the timeline.

From Goddard school to Barraza’s is a 1 minute drive.

From Barraza’s to Lowe’s is 4.9 miles (10ish minutes depending on the time of day).

I wish we knew when SB got to Lowe’s and where they went from there. I would like to know why it took 1 hour for SB to arrive at the house and why he didn’t react to the alarm.
Did LE say what Lowe's location S met co-workers at that morning? There are two Spring, TX locations. I suspect traffic is heavy for a Friday morning.

Interesting that at least one of the co-workers didn't ride back with him to offer support, or did someone? IMO

Wonder if any of his co-worker offered to ride back with him or follow him back to his home as a show of support? MOO

Lowe's

20902 Kuykendahl Road, Spring, TX 77379 (11 min)

20201 North Fwy ( N. IH45) Spring, TX (21 min - non toll)

Did LE say what Lowe's location S met co-workers at that morning? There are two Spring, TX locations. I suspect traffic is heavy for a Friday morning.

Interesting that at least one of the co-workers didn't ride back with him to offer support, or did someone? IMO

Wonder if any of his co-worker offered to ride back with him or follow him back to his home as a show of support? MOO

Lowe's

20201 North Fwy ( N. IH45) Spring, TX (21 min - non toll)
I posted up thread the address, it was on Kuykendahl Rd, it’s written in the police report shown on the Arrin Stoner podcast.

In Arrin's video he goes over the case supplemental report. Concerning deputy's report was an error made in this report or is CCTV date an error? If there is no error made then truck was seen in the neighborhood @12:30 AM on 1/26/2019, which is the next morning after Liz was shot four times, IMO.

I agree with this. I've always thought truck driver was waiting for S to leave, then it was time to make its move. IMO.

It's interesting that S gives a specific time that he left for work that day...<modsnip>, IMO <modsnip>
Plus, if you believe Mr. Stoners video, it appears that the driver and passenger were wearing their masks in the truck. They look like the old bald man-type masks .

Regarding the Ring video doorbell:

If the killer was familiar with the house, they would know that Sergio and Liz had a Ring doorbell. Why would they risk speaking to Liz, knowing that the Ring's microphone might pick up the conversation?

This could give more weight to the theories that a) the killer was mentally unstable and killed in the heat of the moment, or b) the murder was a case of mistaken identity or a mistaken house.

MOD NOTE:

Numerous posts have been snipped or removed for various TOS violations. If you haven't done so yet, please take a moment to review THE RULES, particularly Etiquette & Information. Keep these important points in mind while discussing this unfortunate case:

• Links to approved sources are necessary for any statements of fact, photos and screenshots. If you "heard it somewhere" or "read it somewhere" or "saw it somewhere", then link it. Otherwise it is off-limits.
  • Do not post or respond to rumors and/or off-topic content.
  • Do not link to or discuss content (i.e, articles, webpages, YouTube vids, blogs, etc.) from sources that are not approved by WS. If you are unsure whether a source is approved, use the Report feature to contact a Mod/Admin.
  • Websleuths is a victim friendly forum.
The "victim friendly" rule extends to all of Elizabeth's family members.

Attacking, bashing or casting suspicions on a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media. Just don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. There is a strict zero tolerance policy for derogatory comments or insinuations about the victim's family or anyone who is not officially named a POI or suspect.

Members who ignore these instructions will have their posts removed and face additional consequences which may include a thread reply ban, a time out and/or a permanent ban from Websleuths. Replying to or quoting a post that violates TOS is also against the rules. If you see a post that violates TOS, please do not reply to it. Report the post ASAP so a Mod/Admin can handle the problem. Liking, loving, laughing at or any other reaction to a post that does not adhere to the Rules is considered tag teaming and may lead to disciplinary actions as well.

Thank you for contributing to this discussion and doing so in accordance with Websleuths' Rules and TOS.

If the killer was familiar with the house, they would know that Sergio and Liz had a Ring doorbell. Why would they risk speaking to Liz, knowing that the Ring's microphone might pick up the conversation?

This could give more weight to the theories that a) the killer was mentally unstable and killed in the heat of the moment, or b) the murder was a case of mistaken identity or a mistaken house.
I’m not sure what having the killers voice recording would accomplish. You can’t identify someone from their voice unless you know who they are.

Lowe's

20201 North Fwy ( N. IH45) Spring, TX (21 min - non

I read that S met his father every morning on his way to work. I had thought maybe they were meeting at Lowe and getting what they needed for the job that day.

Shooter may have used a voice distorter. IMO

NEW media for 4 year anniversary from local Houston news KHOU-11

KHOU-11 News

Detective Wyatt states everybody is still a suspect.

100's of vehicle records searched matching the description and rental records pulled for similar vehicles. Looked into people that rented similar vehicles during the timespan.

Mentions the alternate route out of the neighborhood the killer could have taken to avoid LE by getting back to Kuykendahl Rd via greenbelt. (This is the greenbelt mentioned in Stoner's video via the cul de sac dead end).

Detectives have scrubbed both the couple's digital footprints and found no reason that anyone would want her dead.

My Notes: it is interesting Detective Wyatt says SIMILAR vehicles, (I thought it was pretty firm that it was a Nissan Frontier) but this might be due to rental records not listing the model. Also getting back onto Kuykendahl Rd., they must have more footage.

edited for clarity, it's late :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Four years later, investigators, family members still searching for answers in Liz Barraza's murder case​

HARRIS COUNTY, Texas — It has been four years since Elizabeth Barraza was gunned down while she was setting up for a garage sale in front of her Tomball home.
The shooting, which was captured on a neighbor's surveillance video, happened on Jan. 25, 2019. Barraza was 29.
Four years later, her parents still hold onto hope that their daughter's killer will be found. They said the days since their daughter was killed have been filled with anguish.

MOD NOTE:

@Duper's Delight has sought approval for linking to True Crime Chronicles' podcast titled
A Deadly Ambush because it contains interviews with two major case players and a local journalist. We are approving the podcast with the following limitations:

The podcast is being approved on a
one time basis only and strictly for discussion of the podcast's content, with no discussion of the podcast hosts/interviewers. This is not a blanket approval for linking to the source at other times or for other cases without pre-approval by Mods/Admins.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion to help bring justice to Liz and her loved ones.

Last edited:
The podcast is being approved on a one time basis only and strictly for discussion of the podcast's content, with no discussion of the podcast hosts/interviewers. This is not a blanket approval for linking to the source at other times or for other cases without pre-approval by Mods/Admins.

Thank you for contributing to the discussion to help bring justice to Liz and her loved ones.

I posted without approval a few days ago (sorry)....to point out...

Liz's dad canceled helping out with the sale at the last minute the night before.

Is this something the killer knew too? They seem to have known everything else. I would expect a flurry of activity between the parties if the killing was on and then off which means nothing now but will at trial.

As others originally commented on this; I expect there were more trips to case the area if not the killer is very very familiar with the area; too familiar. Especially if they did exit the greenbelt via the dead-end cul de sac.... as mentioned by Detective Wyatt as a route they explored in their investigation. KHOU-11 News

Liz's dad said he would have been there with her at the time of the shooting and it is a constant source of grief and survivor's guilt. Although he does not know if it would have deterred the killer; he is always armed. He conceals carriers wherever he goes.

It was the very last text he had with Liz.

Last edited:

I posted without approval a few days ago (sorry)....to point out...

Liz's dad canceled helping out with the sale at the last minute the night before.

Is this something the killer knew too? They seem to have known everything else. I would expect a flurry of activity between the parties if the killing was on and then off which means nothing now but will at trial.

As others originally commented on this; I expect there were more trips to case the area if not the killer is very very familiar with the area; too familiar. Especially if they did exit the greenbelt via the dead-end cul de sac.... as mentioned by Detective Wyatt as a route they explored in their investigation. KHOU-11 News

Liz's dad said he would have been there with her at the time of the shooting and it is a constant source of grief and survivor's guilt. Although he does not know if it would have deterred the killer; he is always armed. He conceals carriers wherever he goes.

It was the very last text he had with Liz.
BBM It almost seems like the killer had to know her dad wouldn't be there. Not even so much that HE wouldn't be there but that she would be alone. It seems so well planned and executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member