TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen few folks question the timing of the garage sale. I have commonly seen HOAs put restrictions on when the residents inside of the neighborhood can host garage sales, allowing them to occur on specific weekends one to twice a year. I'm not sure if their neighborhood had these restrictions, but it makes more sense to me ( completely IMO ) that they would have the garage sale the days leading up to the trip if this was the case.

I don't know if this is useful information, per say, but I felt the need to add it.

I have seen few folks question the timing of the garage sale. I have commonly seen HOAs put restrictions on when the residents inside of the neighborhood can host garage sales, allowing them to occur on specific weekends one to twice a year. I'm not sure if their neighborhood had these restrictions, but it makes more sense to me ( completely IMO ) that they would have the garage sale the days leading up to the trip if this was the case.

I don't know if this is useful information, per say, but I felt the need to add it.
Welcome to WS, Aus10!

I posted without approval a few days ago (sorry)....to point out...

Liz's dad canceled helping out with the sale at the last minute the night before.

Is this something the killer knew too? They seem to have known everything else. I would expect a flurry of activity between the parties if the killing was on and then off which means nothing now but will at trial.

As others originally commented on this; I expect there were more trips to case the area if not the killer is very very familiar with the area; too familiar. Especially if they did exit the greenbelt via the dead-end cul de sac.... as mentioned by Detective Wyatt as a route they explored in their investigation. KHOU-11 News

Liz's dad said he would have been there with her at the time of the shooting and it is a constant source of grief and survivor's guilt. Although he does not know if it would have deterred the killer; he is always armed. He conceals carriers wherever he goes.

It was the very last text he had with Liz.
Thank you. I'm very excited about all the new updates! Well..What all did the perpetrator have knowledge (or seem to have knowledge) of?
The Barraza's nest cam?
The yard sale?
That her husband be leaving for work?
That her Dad would not be there? (via text?)
That she would be alone??
What else??
The trip? moo

Just noting that this Khou Article is the first conclusive affirmation I've seen that garage sale signs were placed the night before.
Was just going to post this article. Thanks

From the article:
The shooter walked up to Liz and fired three shots. The killer fired one more shot after Liz hit the ground.
“If I had known it was the last night, I would have done so much more," Sergio said. "I would have held her longer. I would have said so much."
The shooter's getaway vehicle is also seen in the video. It was a black Nissan Frontier truck. The truck can be seen circling the neighborhood before and after the shooting.
Despite the video evidence, no arrests have been made.
"It has really made me live in fear just because they haven’t found anyone," Sergio said.

Sergio said he only watched the video one time to see if he could recognize the killer. He said he knows that a lot of people consider him the prime suspect in her death. Sergio has since remarried but said he still loves Liz.
"I know I’m, like, the prime suspect in people’s eyes. I know people immediately say it was the husband who did it. I understand that but you had to know Liz and I," he said. "You had to see us. I still love her to this day."

Last edited:
Just noting that this Khou Article is the first conclusive affirmation I've seen that garage sale signs were placed the night before.
I think it is weird that until recently, it was always said they put the garage sale signs out that morning. What changed?

Here is an article from 4 years ago:

Authorities say the Barrazas didn't publicize the garage sale and only put up signs about it that morning.

Was just going to post this article. Thanks

From the article:
The shooter walked up to Liz and fired three shots. The killer fired one more shot after Liz hit the ground.
“If I had known it was the last night, I would have done so much more," Sergio said. "I would have held her longer. I would have said so much."
The shooter's getaway vehicle is also seen in the video. It was a black Nissan Frontier truck. The truck can be seen circling the neighborhood before and after the shooting.
Despite the video evidence, no arrests have been made.
"It has really made me live in fear just because they haven’t found anyone," Sergio said.
IMO if I lived in fear due to my spouses unsolved murder, I wouldn’t have taken over their job position. But that’s just me.

Quote is from January 2022 article:

"Harris County Detective Wallace Wyatt said this is not a cold case and is still active. He said investigators were recently in Miami, Florida interviewing a person of interest."

Is justice coming? Is this POI connected with Tomball area? moo

It is interesting that after my initial evaluation of the facts it was both convenient and easy to think that it MUST be an insider that did this, or caused this tragedy. It's easy to point fingers-we do it all the time in other areas of life. But, any good sleuth tries to remove emotion and judgement when evaluating a case.

That being said, and with ALL of the work done by LE thus far, it seems reasonable that unless Jason Bourne himself pulled this off that maybe it is time to consider other possibilities. I don't like to be wishy-washy, but I may have been too quick to judge this as one thing or another. So, let's NOT overthink this. It is reasonable that Sergio may very-well have nothing to do with this, nor anyone in the entire universe of current suspects. Why? Because they haven't arrested anyone yet! There has been NO evidence of a hit, of family feuds that could rise to murder, no trysts, no drug-related activities, no bad debts, no reasonable financial motive. So think outside the box-maybe this was a fluke, or a thrill kill. We know that Liz was stalked from the early morning hours, but do we know why? If it was a hit, why the conversation before the murder? Any pro or even a hack would just blast away. There seems to be an enjoyment in the killing that could be misinterpreted as vengeance, but could simply be psychopathy.

Obviously this case is driving everyone crazy, but 4 years later and no connection has been made from the killer to the suspect pool-maybe that is because there isn't one. For all we know, it's someone who is a neighbor and had a bone to pick.

I feel that up to now everyone has tried to fit the "obvious" pieces together, and they are wondering why they don't add up. Did the killer wear a disguise to hide their identity, or are they simply a costumed killer? No one can say, 4 years later, if the killer had ANY link to the family whatsoever. They have no motive, and maybe there isn't one-or at least not the one that everyone thinks.

I'm trying to remain impartial, and like many my "gut" tells me that the killer was both known to and had it in for Liz, yet she was in many ways the MOST UNLIKELY of targets. Who would want to kill an angel? Perhaps the kindness of Liz, when compared to the dark and evil nature of the killer, is what makes this case so stark and unsettling.

It is interesting that after my initial evaluation of the facts it was both convenient and easy to think that it MUST be an insider that did this, or caused this tragedy...

... maybe it is time to consider other possibilities.
I feel the same - and knowledge of the garage sale signs being out the night before opens the door a bit to a stranger/thrill killing kind of thing - but what keeps drawing me back to it needing to be an insider, is that the killers movements that morning (not to mention the timing) make it seem that they were waiting for sergio to leave for work.. anyone who just spotted the garage sale signs the night before wouldn't have had this insight.

The neighbor angle is reasonable too - they'd know everything that would need to be known to pull it off (camera locations, work schedule, garage sale).. we just don't have any motive to latch on to (which doesn't mean there isn't one)

The knowledge that Liz's dad was planning to join her for the yard sale setup is interesting too - if anything this helps exonerate Sergio (because the expected presence of the dad makes the garage sale a *worse* opportunity for a hit than a typical work morning would be).. this is again a detail that a neighbor might not be aware of.

Some best guesses:
- this is an amateur (they missed their first shot from point blank range - per excellent analysis in stoner video)
- they are not themselves intimate with Liz (no indication she recognized the truck or the shooter)
- they knew Sergio and Liz's morning schedule, despite no obvious evidence of casing the neighborhood on prior mornings. (But of course they could have in a different vehicle) They also didn't necessarily need to know about the yard sale - they may have anticipated waiting for Liz to come to her car to leave for work and the yard sale was a coincidence.
- they seem to have known about the ring camera and maybe the other cameras in the neighborhood, or were very lucky.
- they were wearing a disguise (at least the robe, and maybe a mask if you buy into the stoner analysis).
- i have to assume this isn't their truck but who knows. (If it is their truck, it's amazingly brazen.. obfuscated plates?)

All MOO.

One more thing that fits; this could have been done "on behalf" of Sergio by someone in his circle without his knowledge or consent. (Mentally disturbed person taking things into their own hands in Sergio's "best interest").. I'm reaching here obviously... but like many of us i was initially sold on it being the husband.. I'm less convinced now and trying to piece together alternatives.

Regarding the Ring camera, I know that some killers, including but by no means limited to initiates, take "trophies" from the scene of the crime, little things which are not likely to be missed but serve as a memento, or proof to higher-ups in an organization, of the deed. Sometimes they will instead steal tributes (e.g. flowers) at or near the CS as a substitute. Many times the risk of detection from doing either is too high for the perp, so could the released footage itself be serving as a trophy? This also doesn't just apply to Liz's case, but perhaps many others and nobody realizes it.
MOO

Regarding the Ring camera, I know that some killers, including but by no means limited to initiates, take "trophies" from the scene of the crime, little things which are not likely to be missed but serve as a memento, or proof to higher-ups in an organization, of the deed. Sometimes they will instead steal tributes (e.g. flowers) at or near the CS as a substitute. Many times the risk of detection from doing either is too high for the perp, so could the released footage itself be serving as a trophy? This also doesn't just apply to Liz's case, but perhaps many others and nobody realizes it.
MOO
BBM. Agreed. moo, truck driver probably knew neighbor had cctv. Additionally, wonder if driver may make sporadic grave site visits?

I think it is weird that until recently, it was always said they put the garage sale signs out that morning. What changed?

Here is an article from 4 years ago:

Authorities say the Barrazas didn't publicize the garage sale and only put up signs about it that morning.

I'd like to know what changed too.....it goes back and forth....we are back to the evening.

First press conference a week after the murder he was asked on camera by Detective Ritchie. He said signs were put out that morning. @18:00 1st Crimestoppers Press Conference

Do you think Detective Ritchie forgot that? Possibly but I don't. He wanted the answer again from Sergio for some reason. No news crew did their interview in front of these signs? They really love shots like that. The timing is important because it does open the window to others knowing about the sale. Were they placed that evening after that text message from her father saying he was not coming to the sale? ‎True Crime Chronicles: A Deadly Ambush | 87 on Apple Podcasts

July 2020: It changed to the evening in the hard copy People magazine shown in linked video. After 18 Months, Police Still Seek Clues on Who Fatally Shot 'Star Wars' Fan at Her Own Garage Sale

Sept. 2021: It switched back to the morning in the radio interview Sergio did; family's justice page...#20 under news stories. Links to Press and Media

Does anyone have a link to whether the address was on the signs?

I do wonder if this was someone who fixated on Liz, maybe lived or was in the neighborhood the evening before and saw the yard sale signs the evening before and decided to plan and act that night and put their plan into the motion the next morning. Maybe they knew of interest in Star Wars and dressed that way because they planned to be her first or one her first customers, planned to stick around until they were sure no one else was around on their drives to work or way to school and wanted to put her guard down, make her feel comfortable and even start conversation about Star Wars and the stuff she had on sale until the area was cleared. They could have been driving around early just to check how busy the area was or was going to be, since it was near 7 when a lot of people head to work and school, and to check when and if Sergio officially left for the day. My thought could be wrong of course.

Of course, as many have mentioned before but it could also be someone who didn’t live in the neighborhood but was aware of the yard sale beforehand. Maybe this individual wasn’t even told directly by Sergio or Liz about it but maybe incidentally learned about the yard sale through word of mouth or overhearing someone in Liz’s or Sergio’s inner circle mentioning it and decided to act. Perhaps this is someone neither Liz, Sergio or anyone really thought of as a threat or was aware had any animosity towards Liz. Again this is just another thought and could be wrong.

I feel the same - and knowledge of the garage sale signs being out the night before opens the door a bit to a stranger/thrill killing kind of thing - but what keeps drawing me back to it needing to be an insider, is that the killers movements that morning (not to mention the timing) make it seem that they were waiting for sergio to leave for work.. anyone who just spotted the garage sale signs the night before wouldn't have had this insight.

The neighbor angle is reasonable too - they'd know everything that would need to be known to pull it off (camera locations, work schedule, garage sale).. we just don't have any motive to latch on to (which doesn't mean there isn't one)

The knowledge that Liz's dad was planning to join her for the yard sale setup is interesting too - if anything this helps exonerate Sergio (because the expected presence of the dad makes the garage sale a *worse* opportunity for a hit than a typical work morning would be).. this is again a detail that a neighbor might not be aware of.

Some best guesses:
- this is an amateur (they missed their first shot from point blank range - per excellent analysis in stoner video)
- they are not themselves intimate with Liz (no indication she recognized the truck or the shooter)
- they knew Sergio and Liz's morning schedule, despite no obvious evidence of casing the neighborhood on prior mornings. (But of course they could have in a different vehicle) They also didn't necessarily need to know about the yard sale - they may have anticipated waiting for Liz to come to her car to leave for work and the yard sale was a coincidence.
- they seem to have known about the ring camera and maybe the other cameras in the neighborhood, or were very lucky.
- they were wearing a disguise (at least the robe, and maybe a mask if you buy into the stoner analysis).
- i have to assume this isn't their truck but who knows. (If it is their truck, it's amazingly brazen.. obfuscated plates?)

All MOO.
They also didn't necessarily need to know about the yard sale - they may have anticipated waiting for Liz to come to her car to leave for work and the yard sale was a coincidence.
I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member