TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that something like this could occur, but I would expect most such people to be sloppy so they would soon be identified.
I agree fully.

As you stated, statistically, most 'dissed, jealousy, and rage murders are impulsive, clumsy and solved quickly. If such a scenario applies to this case, elements that could change the common quick arrest scenario could be:

- Plain old fashioned luck regarding the perpetrator.

- A pretty big pond to look for 'dissed perpetrator in. The 501 legion has 453 members in Texas. A forum member stated that cosplay attracts a a visible minority of "in deep / everything" types. Then factor in Star Wars conventions and other groups. The victim also had a very active on line life. So, even more contacts to look through.

Last edited:
I agree fully.

As you stated, statistically, most 'dissed, jealousy, and rage murders are impulsive, clumsy and solved quickly. If such a scenario applies to this case, elements that could change the common quick arrest scenario could be:

- Plain old fashioned luck regarding the perpetrator.

- A pretty pond to look for a 'dissed person. The 501 legion has 453 members in Texas. A forum member stated that cosplay attracts a a visible minority of "in deep / everything" types. Then factor in conventions. The victim also had a very active on line life. So, even more contacts to look through.
That is true (pretty large pond). In fact, SB mentioned someone very early on while sitting sideways (facing out) in the police vehicle shortly after arriving at the scene.

I may be wrong, but I find myself leaning in the direction of family dynamics (not SB). Marriage brings new members in who don't always want to play by the family dynamics that preexisted them. Five years would demonstrate that. And five years with both spouses approaching 30, if they were considering having children, that might grant further weight to the desired shift in dynamics of the former outsider which might be intolerable to someone.

That is true (pretty large pond). In fact, SB mentioned someone very early on while sitting sideways (facing out) in the police vehicle shortly after arriving at the scene.

I may be wrong, but I find myself leaning in the direction of family dynamics (not SB). Marriage brings new members in who don't always want to play by the family dynamics that preexisted them. Five years would demonstrate that. And five years with both spouses approaching 30, if they were considering having children, that might grant further weight to the desired shift in dynamics of the former outsider which might be intolerable to someone.
He mentions this person more than once.

This person is a mother, is in the 501st Legion, has long black hair and sometimes wears wigs for the many Star Wars outfits they wear.

I don't know how much more detail I can go into without breaking any rules, but some of my research points to reasons why I believe this person may be the person in the footage.

Admittedly, there have been no shortage of cases where someone had LOTS of unbelievably coincidental evidence such as matching car, same model gun, very specific collection of extremely rare item used in the attack, a loose connection to the victim under shocking circumstances, and of course all four of these things, or all four of these things together and the murderer wound up being someone completely different.

Point is, I give this person the benefit of the doubt, and don't have a vendetta against them, but they are the most likely person to have been the shooter based on everything I know about the case.

He mentions this person more than once.

This person is a mother, is in the 501st Legion, has long black hair and sometimes wears wigs for the many Star Wars outfits they wear.

I don't know how much more detail I can go into without breaking any rules, but some of my research points to reasons why I believe this person may be the person in the footage.

Admittedly, there have been no shortage of cases where someone had LOTS of unbelievably coincidental evidence such as matching car, same model gun, very specific collection of extremely rare item used in the attack, a loose connection to the victim under shocking circumstances, and of course all four of these things, or all four of these things together and the murderer wound up being someone completely different.

Point is, I give this person the benefit of the doubt, and don't have a vendetta against them, but they are the most likely person to have been the shooter based on everything I know about the case.
Well, it may be. Certainly a very loose connection would be as devastating as finding that it was someone close because it would seem so completely senseless.

I still want to know how things were misreported about SB. We know that common traits of husbands that killed their wives is lack of urgency and emotion which is what his original actions were reported as. Didn’t rush home right away. Didn’t ask how his wife was doing or to see her. Etc. now we find out due to an online sleuther that somehow obtained a LE dash cam this wasn’t true. Is it common for LE to misreport a husband’s actions due to him being under suspicion? Was it even LE?

I still want to know how things were misreported about SB. We know that common traits of husbands that killed their wives is lack of urgency and emotion which is what his original actions were reported as. Didn’t rush home right away. Didn’t ask how his wife was doing or to see her. Etc. now we find out due to an online sleuther that somehow obtained a LE dash cam this wasn’t true. Is it common for LE to misreport a husband’s actions due to him being under suspicion? Was it even LE?

Some aspects of the shooters actions made me wonder if they, themselves, were LE.

A good reason to be riding around at 2am? Knowing to use a revolver because it likely won't jam and won't leave casings? Looking fairly comfortable with a somewhat powerful handgun, not flinching at all when they shot. I also wondered if they were showing Liz a badge in their left hand to get her attention before shooting her.

The dashcam footage, to me, painted a drastically different picture of Sergio than what we have been lead to believe this whole time. He sounded like he was extremely distraught, asked about Liz's condition multiple times, asked to see her repeatedly.

Before the footage, it was like they intentionally had small shots of Sergio looking indifferent and/or an unemotional, confused, nerd-type.

Before the footage, it was like they intentionally had small shots of Sergio looking indifferent and/or an unemotional, confused, nerd-type.
Yes and the police report that said he didn't ask about Liz. Why was this never corrected? This placed even higher suspicion on him for all these years and further maligned his reputation until a leaked video proved otherwise. I'm really stuck on this and am open to insight.

Since you brought up the 2am point, this person cased the neighborhood prior. Why would they come in in such a direction where they would have to make a three point turn. Why not come in from the otherwise and just park on the street. The truck wouldn't have been seen then the first time on the Barraza's cam. Plus making a three point turn takes more time and leaves more possibility of being seen or someone coming the opposite direction and having to stop while making the turn.

Since you brought up the 2am point, this person cased the neighborhood prior. Why would they come in in such a direction where they would have to make a three point turn. Why not come in from the otherwise and just park on the street. The truck wouldn't have been seen then the first time on the Barraza's cam. Plus making a three point turn takes more time and leaves more possibility of being seen or someone coming the opposite direction and having to stop while making the turn.
When the truck drove past Liz' location again: was only the car seen or was the murderer also seen behind the wheel? Sorry, I don't remember.
Would it make sense, if the killer wasn't in that car but in another one?

I think (but am not completely sure) that the shooter wanted to park the truck somewhere where there would be less witnesses.

All in all, I think it was a smarter move to make the loud shots and run back to the truck that wasn't visible at the time of the shooting.

It was risky to drive back by and have the license plate number be seen, though. BUT, there are ways to obscure that easily. For instance, use electrical tape and magically make a 9 into an 8, a 0 into an 8, a 4 into a 9, etc.

I have read a trick before about using a certain skateboarding tape that isn't noticeable to the human eye, but throws off video footage really bad.

• Committing the murder outside, where less likely to leave DNA evidence or to have it survive long in the elements
  • Committing the murder in the early dawn hours when few people are outside and nearby to see the truck or the crime in process
  • Stopping and waiting at Goddard School (where cameras were reportedly inactive) before approaching
  • Positioning the vehicle outside range of the Barraza’s doorbell camera
I picked 4 aspects listed in Diddians post (as for why the murderer seemed very planned and/or experienced) that were more intriguing to me.
* As for committing the murder outside, I am still not sure that was actually planned (or at least planned for that very purpose and long ahead), e.g. I am not sure that Liz being on the driveway was something that the murderer even knew, let alone connected to DNA aspects.
* As for the timing - it was not so much very early dawn, but slightly before 7 o'clock. Why this is interesting to me is not semantics (honestly, I don't even know the sunrise time for Texas, US for that time), but because I have seen it indicated and now confirmed by the released video, that the school bus passed the neighbourhood shortly before. Meaning, that not only is there a regular driver (with cameras, I suppose?) on route, but there are also kids being sent onto that bus somewhere further down the route, there are parents preping for their own leaving etc. It's not really the quiet time any more. The timing must have had it's reasons, but I feel like it might be that they were just waiting for S (or Liz) to leave to get her on her own before work/customers.
* Goddard school without cameras - I honestly don't know how they could have known that the cameras are not working, but I also don't know who would pull in a school parking lot in a first place without thinking about the cameras, either. And why did the car leave the school parking lot and went elsewhere before going to Liz? Confusing.
* The car parking is also interesting. They could have parked a bit closer and gotten away a bit faster, imo. Were they really avoiding cameras (annoyingly, even from the neighbours camera, the parked car is covered by a tree)? Were they hiding from the straight view of the windows (not sure if it would work with the position)? Were they just staying far enough from her car as to pass it quickly easily? Was it just random and luck? Again, confusing.
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, almost five years later, there are still no arrests made in the case. But, there is a $50,000 reward being offered for any information leading to an arrest of a suspect.

Elizabeth’s family has never stopped fighting for justice. They described her life as a fairytale.

“She had a really great life. She loved her life,” said Elizabeth’s father, Bob Nuelle.

“She was funny and she was just a joy to be around,” said Barraza’s mother, Rosemary Nuelle.

The woman known to many as “Liz” was preparing for her fifth anniversary with her husband, Sergio Barraza, before she was murdered.

“We were going to Florida. Liz and I were both just simple, normal people who lived a good, simple life,” said Sergio.

Yes and the police report that said he didn't ask about Liz. Why was this never corrected? This placed even higher suspicion on him for all these years and further maligned his reputation until a leaked video proved otherwise. I'm really stuck on this and am open to insight.
I don't think they were misreported. Sergio spoke to many officers that morning. Each officer noted their interaction.

Source: Arrin Stoner Constables Incident Report provided by Alex Lewis aka Welsh Chappie

One officer noted Sergio asked via the door cam system about Liz.

Another officer noted Sergio never asked about Liz's condition or asked permission to go to the hospital.

Officers never stated Sergio didn't rush home. Online Sleuths did including myself going off the
(Timeline) timeline. People have noted the discrepancy of his arrival via the dashcam footage vs. the family page timeline. However, the site does state any discrepancies are due to source cameras timing being off.

Dashcam time is shown in ABC 13 video 7:45 vs. family page timeline of 7:55
MSN

The timing IMO very well could have been intentionally mis-reported. What better way is there to have a suspect match his timeline/timing to an incorrect one? But that is just my speculation.

The lack of emotion was reported by Detective Ritchie on Paula Zahn
(https://www.investigationdiscovery....igation-discovery-atve-us/a-fairy-tale-ruined). 30.30 mark

He states it was concerning Sergio showed no reaction/emotion while listening to his wife being shot. Ritchie also said Sergio hung around the scene after being released.

"Sergio didn't seem to be in a hurry to get to the hospital to check on Liz. When I
released him he's still kind of stuck around to talk with neighbors and with media, if that was me and my wife was shot I would be getting to the hospital as soon as I could.

Detectives also wondered about Sergio's unusual reaction to the attack.

"One thing that did bother me was when he was showing me the doorbell camera video I glanced over at him and there's no emotion. He doesn't seem upset by hearing his wife screaming as she's being shot".

I submitted the dashcam video for mod approval. We cannot discuss unless approved.

edited to add another link...

Last edited:
I don't think they were misreported. Sergio spoke to many officers that morning. Each officer noted their interaction.

Source: Arrin Stoner Constables Incident Report provided by Alex Lewis aka Welsh Chappie

Another officer noted Sergio never asked about Liz's condition or asked permission to go to the hospital.

Officers never stated Sergio didn't rush home. Online Sleuths did including myself going off the
(Timeline) timeline. People have noted the discrepancy of his arrival via the dashcam footage vs. the family page timeline. However, the site does state any discrepancies are due to source cameras timing being off.

The timing IMO very well could have been intentionally mis-reported. What better way is there to have a suspect match his timeline/timing to an incorrect one? But that is just my speculation.

(https://www.investigationdiscovery....igation-discovery-atve-us/a-fairy-tale-ruined). 30.30 mark

He states it was concerning Sergio showed no reaction/emotion while listening to his wife being shot. Ritchie also said Sergio hung around the scene after being released.

"Sergio didn't seem to be in a hurry to get to the hospital to check on Liz. When I
released him he's still kind of stuck around to talk with neighbors and with media, if that was me and my wife was shot I would be getting to the hospital as soon as I could.

"One thing that did bother me was when he was showing me the doorbell camera video I glanced over at him and there's no emotion. He doesn't seem upset by hearing his wife screaming as she's being shot".

I submitted the dashcam video for mod approval. We cannot discuss unless approved.

Sometimes, detectives can be SUPER annoying with their manipulation type speech. I am sure they are just used to using it in interrogations, but they aren't experts at everything, not in human behavior and psychoanalysis.

I remember one case where a man claimed a pipe went through his window and killed his wife. The detective said "physics tells me that's impossible". UMMMMM sorry, but show me your PHD???

Thanks for this.

Full article and 3 + minute video at link...

TOMBALL, Texas (KTRK) -- New video shows the emotional moments after Elizabeth "Liz" Barraza was gunned down in her Tomball-area driveway as she was setting up for a garage sale nearly five years ago.

Her case is one of Harris County's most puzzling unsolved murders.

"Oh my God, dude. This is crazy," Sergio Barraza, Liz's husband, said on the video.

It was his heartbreaking reaction within minutes of learning Liz had been shot.

"So they just (expletive) shot her and left?" he asked the officer.

The new video was recently posted on a YouTube channel created in mid-November and is not affiliated with law enforcement. It comes from the in-car cameras of a Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office patrol unit. ABC13 has verified its authenticity.

"It tears me apart to see that. It's hard to watch myself go through that and remember all of that," Sergio told ABC13 Thursday about the video. "It's really tough re-living all of that. I hate that we haven't had this solved yet."

December 8, 2023

New video shows raw moments shortly after Tomball woman killed in her driveway nearly 5 years ago

5:00 PM · Dec 8, 2023

The new video was recently posted on a YouTube channel created in mid-November and is not affiliated with law enforcement. It comes from the in-car cameras of a Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office patrol unit. ABC13 has verified its authenticity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay