TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now this is totally far fetched (and I personally don't think this is what happened), but it just had never crossed my mind before: maybe it was not the aim to kill Liz? Everyone assumes that automatically, but maybe the case does not make sense because it was not the real reason for what happened.

For example: we know the killer said something and that Liz replied something, even though it is not possible to understand what was said. Maybe this was the aim. Maybe they needed some sort of information from Liz, and only killed her so that she could not speak of the interaction. It was not the real point to kill her, but to get that info. I have no idea what it could have been and I think in that case it would be highly likely that Liz could have been unaware of the relevance, too. But someone around her could have been involved in something shady. The anti-gang unit made me think of possible narratives like that.
Yeah, the anti-gang unit’s recent involvement has really thrown me for a loop.

Someone shot through her office window? wow, that's crazy.
this was posted in this or previous thread

This being said: when something happens, I change my routine. Example: in Seattle, driving virtually 5mph near a hospital, I was scared by a homeless woman who almost stepped under my car. I hit the brakes and avoided hitting her but what scared me was that she continued walking not even paying attention that she could have been hit. I don’t know whether she was high or desperate, but as the result, i only Uber to Seattle now.

So: Liz was burglarized. Then, that “festive” shot. And sorry, she does yard sale alone, in darkness, seems that she had not changed the routine that much? Or if her family planned to join later, who persuaded her to start so early? Did someone talk her into it?

Last edited:
The truck does a drive by at 2 am. That is when most bars close.
Was someone out and about the night before, getting their nerve up to kill?

Even easier - if they drive by at 2am and the lights are on, there is a chance that the sales will not start too early because people will be asleep in the morning.
If everyone is asleep, there is a chance that the sales will start early when it is dark.
This person might be more aware of SB’s morning routine, but not that of Liz. They need Liz to be alone, Sergio, not super close to the home and also, they need it to be dark outside.

Even easier - if they drive by at 2am and the lights are on, there is a chance that the sales will not start too early because people will be asleep in the morning.
If everyone is asleep, there is a chance that the sales will start early when it is dark.
This person might be more aware of SB’s morning routine, but not that of Liz. They need Liz to be alone, Sergio, not super close to the home and also, they need it to be dark outside.
Afaik, Liz' father planned to help his daughter with the garage sale, but he was unforeseen unable to attend.
Did the killer know, her father would be there at a certain time (which then didn't apply)? Did the murderer have to kill Liz, before her father would have appeared at the address?
Or did the murderer even know, that Liz' father had an urgent appointment and couldn't come for helping during sale?
What would have happened, if the killer didn't know of the possibility, her father would also arrive at the home? Had he murdered both Liz and her father?

Now this is totally far fetched (and I personally don't think this is what happened), but it just had never crossed my mind before: maybe it was not the aim to kill Liz? Everyone assumes that automatically, but maybe the case does not make sense because it was not the real reason for what happened.

For example: we know the killer said something and that Liz replied something, even though it is not possible to understand what was said. Maybe this was the aim. Maybe they needed some sort of information from Liz, and only killed her so that she could not speak of the interaction. It was not the real point to kill her, but to get that info. I have no idea what it could have been and I think in that case it would be highly likely that Liz could have been unaware of the relevance, too. But someone around her could have been involved in something shady. The anti-gang unit made me think of possible narratives like that.
No, I think it was pretty personal and intentional. She was shot in the mouth after all.

No, I think it was pretty personal and intentional. She was shot in the mouth after all.

Yep, shot in the face and a risky drive by afterwards to confirm.

I think this person needed to insure she was dead, because Liz knew her really well <modsnip> and could identify her with the entire plot easily unfolding if Liz lived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Afaik, Liz' father planned to help his daughter with the garage sale, but he was unforeseen unable to attend.
Did the killer know, her father would be there at a certain time (which then didn't apply)? Did the murderer have to kill Liz, before her father would have appeared at the address?
Or did the murderer even know, that Liz' father had an urgent appointment and couldn't come for helping during sale?
What would have happened, if the killer didn't know of the possibility, her father would also arrive at the home? Had he murdered both Liz and her father?

It is not impossible. Another version, the target could have been the father or the whole family.

I feel that the anti-gang unit might be involved because the murder has the traits of being "ordered". The assassins know the house, the person, but they have no connection to the person. "Ordered" kills are usually difficult to deal with unless there is a clear motive, or there is a specific murder style that is known.

KPRC 2 reporter Corley asked Sergio if he had anything to do with Liz’s murder.

No, ma’am. I would never do anything like that. We had the best relationship. Why would I ruin that?” said Sergio.

Now, nearly five years later, The Texas Rangers, the FBI, and the Texas Anti-Gang Unit have joined in on the case.

Sgt. Thomas said the added agencies’ expertise and resources allow them to further examine evidence and jump on new leads. He feels they are closer than ever to solving the case.

“It’s going to take that one person who’s not nervous about talking about it anymore. Relationships change. Someone knows something,” said Sgt. Thomas.

Over the years, detectives said they have gathered new evidence. They could not go into detail about what they have found, because the case is an ongoing investigation. However, they are following up on leads nationwide.

“They may have succeeded in killing her, but she’s still a force to be reckoned with, and continues to do good throughout this world,” said Bob.

A $50,000 reward is being offered for any information that could lead to an arrest. If you have a tip, contact Crimestoppers at (713) 222-TIPS or the Harris County Sheriff’s Office at (713) 221-6000.

FBI, Texas Rangers join investigation into Tomball woman killed while setting up for garage sale

Updated: December 8, 2023 at 2:19 PM

1702177765394.png

Not only anatomically it should work better than a shot in the temple because the bullet is going to travel through medulla oblongata and destroy the vital centers, but it might be a message. I wouldn't be surprised if in different criminal societies it means different things. I vaguely remembered something about Sicilian mafia. Don Corleone killing the local extortionate, Don Fanucci.

"He grabbed a gun he'd hidden in a chimney, wrapped in a towel as a makeshift silencer to muffle its report. When Fanucci arrived, Vito shot him once in the chest. Before Fanucci could react, Vito shot him in the cheek, terribly wounding him. He then fired a killshot into Fanucci's mouth."

(That was meant to kill, but also a sign of power.)

Sometimes, detectives can be SUPER annoying with their manipulation type speech. I am sure they are just used to using it in interrogations, but they aren't experts at everything, not in human behavior and psychoanalysis.

I remember one case where a man claimed a pipe went through his window and killed his wife. The detective said "physics tells me that's impossible". UMMMMM sorry, but show me your PHD???
I think I also remember SB mentioning that neighbors approached him after he talked to the police and that he was in constant contact with Liz’s parents who were at the hospital with her. It sounded like as long as he could keep in touch with them, he wanted to get as much information about the shooting as possible before he left, which I guess could make same sense because nothing about Liz getting shot made sense. As many of her loved ones and LE have mentioned, there was nothing about Liz’s known personal history that would make her a target so SB might have been dealing with feelings of disbelief, shock and his brain just trying to make sense of something so unbelievable happen to Liz.

Also, to be fair, I wonder if he was truly aware how dire Liz’s situation was before he had reached the hospital. Even though he heard the gunshots on the video cam he might not have understood how many time she was unfortunately shot or that she tragically wasn’t going to make a full recovery. I only recommend this because my brother’s doctors’ and friends didn’t tell my mother that my brother was brain dead from a gunshot wound until she after arrived to the hospital so this could just be my own bias speaking.

This being said: when something happens, I change my routine. Example: in Seattle, driving virtually 5mph near a hospital, I was scared by a homeless woman who almost stepped under my car. I hit the brakes and avoided hitting her but what scared me was that she continued walking not even paying attention that she could have been hit. I don’t know whether she was high or desperate, but as the result, i only Uber to Seattle now.

So: Liz was burglarized. Then, that “festive” shot. And sorry, she does yard sale alone, in darkness, seems that she had not changed the routine that much? Or if her family planned to join later, who persuaded her to start so early? Did someone talk her into it?

I bet she was told it was all coincidence.
Because, most likely perhaps they were. I honestly do not know, but in hindsight, it looks questionable, doesn't it?
If this all happened within six months I'd be on edge, but I think it was over a span of years. I cannot find the dates of the "festive" shot. I would LOVE to know how the police determined that!

Also, I had to deal with a stalker, I documented everything every time a cop would disregard it as not important. That he managed to show up everywhere I went even traveling four state lines to follow me.
So maybe EB was worried or concerned but everyone told her NOT to worry.
I've seen it firsthand.

Also, I had to deal with a stalker, I documented everything every time a cop would disregard it as not important. That he managed to show up everywhere I went even traveling four state lines to follow me.
So maybe EB was worried or concerned but everyone told her NOT to worry.
I've seen it firsthand.

Very sorry about your experience, but what a smart thing to do!

Yes, I agree. Everyone told her not to worry and that maybe a nest camera was enough?

The thing is, there are probably plausible explanations for everything including the “festive” bullet at her work, but she is dead, so I am not sure I believe the explanations.

Very sorry about your experience, but what a smart thing to do!

Yes, I agree. Everyone told her not to worry and that maybe a nest camera was enough?

The thing is, there are probably plausible explanations for everything including the “festive” bullet at her work, but she is dead, so I am not sure I believe the explanations.

I mean I cannot speak for her friends, family or husband, but I see women told they are overreacting constantly even when it's obviously a serious RED FLAG!
Not sure why people do it. Maybe trying to calm the victim?

These series of events I wish I knew the exact timeline, if separated by years or all within the same year.

I mean I cannot speak for her friends, family or husband, but I see women told they are overreacting constantly even when it's obviously a serious RED FLAG!
Not sure why people do it. Maybe trying to calm the victim?

These series of events I wish I knew the exact timeline, if separated by years or all within the same year.
I have a feeling the apt break in was at least a year or more prior. How long were they in their house for?

I have a feeling the apt break in was at least a year or more prior. How long were they in their house for?

It's quite possible she had a long-term stalker. EB may NOT have been aware she had one.
I am really curious about the Texas Gang Unit being involved now. Is it possible it was a gang initiation just to shoot a random target?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine