ú

TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Kcookok, Jan 30, 2019.

1. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I just searched and saw it posted on the crime stoppers Houston Facebook page as well. Pics with Andrea Canning shared there as well. No date for airing yet.

bluenoser, LadyL and HTXfuerte like this.
  2. Axiom88

Axiom88 Active Member

This case seems to be getting decent attention, Dateline, Inside Edition, Daily Mail got it, Peter Mayhew bringing it up, etc. I have no idea why, but I am having a hard time grasping how this is so hard, but I'm not a police officer/detective so I don't know. It just seems like we have much more here than in other cases that are routinely solved. And it never ceases to amaze me the things people think of that I often wonder if the cops are even thinking of (eg: the oddity of the long hair and the possibility of it being a wig because of the risk of leaving DNA at the scene). It just seems like there's a lot to go on here, I'm struggling how we're sitting here with.. practically nothing. Makes me ache for her family.

Also, JMO but in my observation of the husband, I don't see anything suspicious there. I think no one is going to act "normal" or in a generally "expected" way when something like this happens. I often wonder why people question "why were they not crying" etc. Some people deal with grief differently than others. I've lost several close family members in my life, and I've been stricken with deep grief, but I never cry. It's just not how I am I guess. The lack of tears really shouldn't be a litmus test, but of course should be a minor factor to consider. There's a big difference in the husband here, and say the guy who killed his wife and kids last year and went about his life as if nothing was different.

Alcina, MizKim, Betty P and 14 others like this.
  3. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

Respectfully snipped for focus.
    Exceptional post and so very, very true.

Daisy47, flute4peace and Mercedes like this.
  4. btfly547

btfly547 Well-Known Member

I think so as well. They're probably just getting footage/stories while it's so new then will add to it once or even if it's solved. I wouldn't be surprised if it's months or longer before it's aired.
    They did the same on a missing person's case in my area (were in the area early). That story never aired because it turned out to be a strange suicide.

5. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

Alcina, lstiff, Hazelnutty and 9 others like this.
  6. iamnotagolem

iamnotagolem Well-Known Member

Still nothing?? How is this possible?

I was thinking what I’d do vehicle wise to avoid getting caught. I’d test drive a used vehicle at a shady lot and make a copy of the key. Then go borrow said vehicle to use during the crime and return it immediately. It’s not reported stolen, lot never has reason to suspect it was used and never report it to the police.

Alcina, byo, angelainwi and 11 others like this.
  7. Ajs1004

Ajs1004 Well-Known Member

I can’t believe there is nothing new being released about this. Somebody somewhere has to know something about this case.

angelainwi, btfly547, Betty P and 4 others like this.
  8. CocoChanel

CocoChanel Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

This is local to me, and I gotta tell you, it has made me think twice about garage sales. I have had several in the past, and they have always been successful - one man’s trash is another man’s treasure and all that. As I was looking at my clutter recently, my first thought was “time for another garage sale”, but then this terrible case came to mind, and it gave me pause. I am probably 20+ degrees of separation from this case, yet it is affecting the way I think and feel. It must be so awful for all those close to EB, who have had to grieve her loss while feeling utterly helpless and vulnerable in this situation, especially considering the perp may very well be someone they all know. Crime takes so many victims. It truly is a plague.

Alcina, lstiff, byo and 15 others like this.
  9. Ajs1004

While that sounds good in theory, i would think it’s unlikely that could happen. Most dealerships keep some weird keychain around the ring of the key so you could pretty sure know it’s a dealership key. And I don’t know about where you live, but dealerships here lock their lots up so you can’t get in and steal a car. Even shady used car lots. But anything is possible.

10. meanmaryjean

meanmaryjean Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)

Also- duplicating car keys is not like duplicating a house key. They have electronics and the cost can be in the hundreds of dollars (ask me how I know....)

11. Ajs1004

Agreed. Even older vehicles. My husbands truck is 12 years old and we recently had another key made. It had a chip in it so we could only get it done at the dealership and it was over $100 for that key. Meanwhile I went to lowe’s To get a spare house key for my pet sitter and it was the cost of the key, $12.95.

Betty P and Reachingfornettles like this.
  12. iamnotagolem

I took a drive around the neighborhood on google maps, looked through some parking lots, holy smokes Nissan Frontiers are popular there. I didn't see any that matched the one from the video but in about 10 minutes of looking I came across several and quite a few Nissan Titans. I guess that explains why finding her killer hasn't been that easy.

13. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

A long time ago, I came to the realization that the little extra money is not worth it. We also do not sell anything online. We pass items on to family or friends. If they don't want it, we donate it or put it on the curb with a sign that says "free".

14. iamnotagolem

Our dealerships do not lock up the lots, there are no gates and it would be pretty easy to drive off with a vehicle especially at night. As far as duplicating keys, this would have to be a very well planned out and premeditated murder if this was done and if that’s the case I doubt a killer would mind spending a bit of money to avoid being traced back to the crime. Our local Ace makes copies of keys, even chipped ones for $85.

This gets me thinking again about who did the crime, if everything is how it seems and simplest solution then a woman in a robe shot Elizabeth 4 minutes after her husband left. This makes it seem it was someone nearby, crime of passion, maybe the woman just found out something that gave her motive to kill EB.

If this is a man in disguise then it really changes everything about the crime, was it a hired hit? If so by who and why? Obviously a lot more planning went into this if it’s a man in disguise than if it’s a woman in a robe. I honestly could see either one being possible.

Daisy47 likes this.
  15. diggndeeperstill

diggndeeperstill Well-Known Member

I saw a chart the other day, I’ll have to see if I can find again, on charachertistics of a murder and what they indicated. I have always thought this was a disguise and a disguise being used (on this chart) indicated a highly personal murder.

I’m ready for more information as well.

lstiff, Steph8angels, LadyL and 6 others like this.
  16. Carja7

Carja7 Active Member

I could be wrong as it's hard for me to make out but when I watch the surveillance video it looks to me like she is standing there looking at and watching the truck the second it pulls up. Could she have recognized it?

Alcina, LadyL, GarAndTeed and 5 others like this.
  17. squid

squid Well-Known Member

The last we heard from the investigators it was the press conference 2/6 correct? Almost two weeks ago. Is it odd that we have not heard from them again within a two-week time period?

18. rosesfromangels

rosesfromangels Amateur speculations and opinion only

We can pray this is a result of lots of action behind the scenes!

19. oceanstarryeyes

oceanstarryeyes Well-Known Member

I think it looks personal so much that the four beginning hits was on purpose to make her suffer a bit before the final murder hit and that would be from a woman to a woman. Maybe years ago something happened that involved the victim and the shooters husband.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  20. Piney Woods

Piney Woods Well-Known Member

Yes, that's pretty much my policy these days as well. I can understand why people still do it though. Money is tight for both the seller and buyer. 25 years ago I would occasionally spend a lazy Saturday or Sunday ambling around driveways and sometimes finding great deals. Clothing, books, LP's and maybe a framed watercolor or oil painting.